Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Caixin/China-rates-COVID-close-to-HIV-as-a-deadly-infectious-disease

edit: article is from 2021 lol

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 01:47 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/applebees-date-night-pass-subscription/

Applebee's date night subscription sold out in one minute, lmao.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

RandomBlue posted:

:coronatoot:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

All the people here making jokes about how people would rather die than not go to Applebees weren’t joking

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

It was a good deal

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Woke Mind Virus posted:

It was a good deal

Seems like the cheapest, most reliable way to get weekly diarrhea.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"The subscription pays for $30 worth of food and beverages per date"

Is that for one person or both? LOL at either possibility.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
$200 up front gets you $30 off a week for 52 weeks, up to $1360 in net savings

hard to argue with that with the price of food being what it is now

my only question is whether you can do takeout with it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Animal-Mother posted:

"The subscription pays for $30 worth of food and beverages per date"

Is that for one person or both? LOL at either possibility.

$30 off the whole bill

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Friend suddenly comes down with a "bad cold." They remark on coughing so hard they have trouble breathing. I get suspicious and suggest it's COVID. The next day they mention being unable to put on a jacket without getting exhausted. Now certain, I ask them to test for COVID. They try one of the tests in their home. It's expired. There is no C line. They are skeptical because they still have smell and taste. I explain that that is not a guaranteed symptom of COVID anymore, mention paxlovid's five day efficacy limit, and encourage them to test ASAP to rule it out. They wake up this morning and message me to inform me they have no smell or taste.

Many such cases!

Update: they tested negative twice. :confused:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
it could just be that their previous Covid infection and subsequent immunodeficiency has made them way more vulnerable to routine infections

option B it’s Covid and they don’t know to swab their throat

who knows

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
im starting to think these rapid tests are doing more harm than good. or are people getting neg pcrs?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Update: they tested negative twice. :confused:

There is a reason the FDA recommends testing multiple times days apart :shrug:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

spiritual bypass posted:

im starting to think these rapid tests are doing more harm than good. or are people getting neg pcrs?

People are testing once, getting a negative, and then refusing to test ever again. See: all of my coworkers and relatives.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
so counterintuitive to me that pestilence isn’t one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, who’s the scrub author who whiffed that one

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

People are testing once, getting a negative, and then refusing to test ever again. See: all of my coworkers and relatives.

furthermore they test by gently rubbing the swab against the tip of their nose for less than one second, then throw out the swab without putting it in the test liquid

Soap Scum has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Jan 23, 2024

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's absolutely this, and also barely swabbing a nostril.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Mike Hoerger made 7 short videos, 40 minutes total. These could be really good to send out to people.

https://twitter.com/michael_hoerger/status/1749300186973663341

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Steve Yun posted:

so counterintuitive to me that pestilence isn’t one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, who’s the scrub author who whiffed that one

look, it was the 90s. we'd just beaten smallpox and polio, and we overhauled public policy on a global scale to prevent the spread of hiv. pestilence was dead and pollution was popular.

but what Pollution actually wrote on his receipt for his apocalypse gear was, "por que no los dos"

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Raised by Hamsters posted:

It's absolutely this, and also barely swabbing a nostril.

mandatory rectal swabs. it's the only way.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yep, always been this way. Aside from a small number of people I know who are still taking things seriously, I pretty much assume that anyone who tells me that they're testing for COVID has COVID regardless of their results. Most people only test when the symptoms are painfully obvious and won't ever test twice. I still know someone who thinks you aren't positive if the line is kind of faint.

When my gf's parents got COVID it took three days of multiple rapid tests for her dad to pop positive despite being symptomatic the entire time.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Paradoxish posted:

Yep, always been this way. Aside from a small number of people I know who are still taking things seriously, I pretty much assume that anyone who tells me that they're testing for COVID has COVID regardless of their results. Most people only test when the symptoms are painfully obvious and won't ever test twice. I still know someone who thinks you aren't positive if the line is kind of faint.

When my gf's parents got COVID it took three days of multiple rapid tests for her dad to pop positive despite being symptomatic the entire time.

Love hearing about symptomatic false positives too. Sure buddy, OK, LOL.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1749626814866096183

Oh that wacky SARS-CoV-2, getting up to nonsense

[edit] ah ha! got it working (I think) https://nitter.net/LongDesertTrain/status/1749625274591809961#m

Zantie has issued a correction as of 06:29 on Jan 23, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Well you see, Doc, I hadn’t had my period, and I was nauseated and fatigued, and I had weird cravings for foods, but when I peed on the stick, the line was kind of faint, so, you know how it is.”

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
When walkup PCR places all went away, it was clear we were never going to get even vaguely accurate data ever again.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the not-covid mystery illness i have has hosed up me and 2/5 my senses, and i am not concerned at all

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

3 outta 5 (senses) ain't bad

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
The human body has between 22 and 33 senses. Losing two is extremely mild.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

What’s the consensus on hotels? I remember reading they are COVID traps because of the way the ventilation works, so being unmasked in your own room would be a big risk. That sound right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WrasslorMonkey posted:

What’s the consensus on hotels? I remember reading they are COVID traps because of the way the ventilation works, so being unmasked in your own room would be a big risk. That sound right?

It’s not great, but if you look at like Australian quarantine hotels, they had one breach for every I think the estimate was every two hundred travellers, mostly from people being infected while in the hotels and therefore incubating the virus at the time of their release. That’s not a great success rate for them, but it’s not terrible on an individual basis. These quarantine hotels were operated extremely poorly, with residents swabbed at the open door to their room and marched into and out of the place in nothing better than surgical masks. No air filtration was provided for the rooms.

If you take some precautions, I think that you stand a great chance of staying healthy. Bring an air purifier or assemble a Corsi Cube from like sixty bucks of material from a hardware store. Wear a protective mask in the hallways and for a few minutes after returning to the room.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Capitalism moment

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zantie posted:

(..)
Oh that wacky SARS-CoV-2, getting up to nonsense

[edit] ah ha! got it working (I think) https://nitter.net/LongDesertTrain/status/1749625274591809961#m

Sounds to me like nature is getting lazy and reusing old material, instead of giving us new zoonotic diseases.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Got my Far UVC lights in last night from Nukit Had to immediately test it out right away and did the classic banana test

After 30 minutes of usage, I feel like it's weak, but then again it's might be because I only charged the battery up for a short time (and a couple did shut themselves off before the 30 minutes were up when I checked on it).

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

So as I come up on my last dose of pax (from box 1 of 2…) my symptoms are just about gone, but I’m still getting faint positives on rapids. I’m thinking I ought to just keep right on going on the second box to avoid "rebound", yeah?

My one real fuckup was trying to use theraflu instead of NyQuil, I didn’t exactly love the taste of theraflu before but holy poo poo the flavor combo of the weird bittersweet theraflu tea once the pax mouth got going almost made me vom. kind of sick of Ricola sugar-free Swiss herb flavor by now, but it was def better than the alternative.

Work is already getting up my rear end to come back, but been trying to find out if either my employer (city university) or NYC still do any kind of paid COVID leave. HR of course has not been helpful, so probably going to try the NYC COVID helpline and see if they have any current info….

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

That's what I did with my dad when he still popped positive but had no symptoms. Think of Paxlovid like antibiotics. You don't stop taking it because you're out of pills, you stop taking it when there's no infection left inside of you.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Got my Far UVC lights in last night from Nukit Had to immediately test it out right away and did the classic banana test

After 30 minutes of usage, I feel like it's weak, but then again it's might be because I only charged the battery up for a short time (and a couple did shut themselves off before the 30 minutes were up when I checked on it).

Ok, but what result where you expecting? How would a 222nm light burn the surface differently than a 254nm light? Do you have a 254nm dosimeter or an optical spectrum analyzer to confirm that's not a sign of more dangerous wavelengths like 254nm being generated?

To me I would see that as concerning. 222nm isn't supposed to penetrate the surface or cause skin damage right? So why is it burning a piece of fruit?

EDIT: Please don't interpret anything I'm saying as guidance for how to do it safely, that's not something you can just pick up on an internet forum. Don't employ UVC without seeking professional guidance and/or using safety-certified equipment intended for consumers.

Rescue Toaster has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Jan 23, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm getting the feeling that you're saying this is dangerous because it's more powerful than it should be.

You do realize that to me it's a great thing? If it's more powerful, then it's zapping all those viruses in the air even quicker. That's like exactly what I want.

It's more like maybe 45 minutes than 30 minutes so is that better? Idk any of this stuff, all I want is something to kill the viruses in the air while everyone is around the dining room table eating dinner (they insist on it)

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Jan 23, 2024

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
welp, kid got strep for the 3rd time in 5 months. still no covid after 4 years of pandemic, so I'd like to send a hearty "eat poo poo" to all the parents out there who don't put a mask on their kid

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

i've been assured by many experts that covid is running out of evolutionary space to explore and essentially trapped itself in the mild climate of the omicron fitness valley making only tiny little changes of no importance to its genome. therefore this has to be completely wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zugzwang posted:

It's incredible to me that anyone unironically still listens to Alex Jones, but it's almost impossible to un-break people's brains once they go down that conspiracy rabbit hole. If there ever is a pandemic bird flu or a similar nightmare pathogen, these folks will 100% refuse the vaxx and get their poo poo absolutely ruined.

Check out our own Epstein thread for people with the same dysfunction listing scientists and medical researchers who died (in a variety of specializations across decades of time) and just assuming the dots connect themselves to Bill Gates.