Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm watching someone play Death Stranding for the first time, specifically the first chapter before you get any vehicles or anything so you're just hiking through the valley, and goddamn this game has Vibes for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

I'm watching someone play Death Stranding for the first time, specifically the first chapter before you get any vehicles or anything so you're just hiking through the valley, and goddamn this game has Vibes for days.

I mostly ended up playing it on foot anyway, that just felt right. Honestly I want even less combat and stuff, I had the most fun when it was just me out on my own, figuring out how to traverse the environment.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've heard it said that Death Stranding is a proper walking simulator, in that figuring out how to traverse difficult terrain is its most central/engaging form of gameplay.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love that there's no downvote in Death Stranding, only an upvote! The online system is purely collaborative and it's harder (though not impossible) to troll your fellow Porters.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mostly ended up playing it on foot anyway, that just felt right. Honestly I want even less combat and stuff, I had the most fun when it was just me out on my own, figuring out how to traverse the environment.

Yeah that was my favourite part of the game. The vehicles and zips were....fine, I guess, when you wanted to get to places you'd already been a few times, but figuring out the puzzle of simply getting from point A to point B with a backpack full of cargo was a treat. I hope the sequel focuses on that more.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It's Kojima with no filter. It's going to be even more batshit and bizarre.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
death stranding was already kojima with no filter and i second people talking about how nice the quiet moments and traversal in the game are

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Philippe posted:

I love that there's no downvote in Death Stranding, only an upvote! The online system is purely collaborative and it's harder (though not impossible) to troll your fellow Porters.

My favorite player structure I found was a bridge in the middle of nowhere with tens of thousands of upvotes. I figured, why would anyone ever cross that, surely it's hacked, and then I ran into a BT and the boss cutscene dragged me over it which gave the user a Like. Video games rule.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
That one lady giving you a double thumbs-up, and getting two likes for it :3:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yeah, the core walking/transporting parts of Death Stranding were great, it's just a shame they didn't have faith that it could stand on it's own.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Croccers posted:

It's Kojima with no filter. It's going to be even more batshit and bizarre.

We cannot let him read Infinite Jest, under any circumstances.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've heard it said that Death Stranding is a proper walking simulator, in that figuring out how to traverse difficult terrain is its most central/engaging form of gameplay.
it's the only game where exploring on foot felt like hiking in real life. I paid attention to the landscape, kept an eye on my footing, was careful around sharp drops. After I beat the game I went for platinum, and then I just... walked to the farthest corners of the map, just to see what was there. There wasn't some great secret, just an endless black ocean and a quiet beach.

Really ruined Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. Gorgeous, but I always felt like I was just floating over everything.

My favorite unintentional method of transit in videogames is using the horse in Witcher 3 to cushion big falls. He just teleports away and you stumble and then you're fine!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I hope the DS sequel will have the same console deal as the first one. That ruled.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What energy drink is going the new sponsor that gets removed in an update a year or two later?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

I have come so far around on tacked on multiplayer modes. Max Payne 3's multiplayer was insanely good. In addition to regular deathmatch as any character from Max Payne complete with new VA from the old actors, there were several additional modes. There was a whole mode where you play as a beefed up Max and Passos and 6 other real life players take the role of standard Max Payne mooks to whack them. Whoever takes them out gets to be Max next, most time as a Max wins. It was incredibly fun and certainly worth the development time.

Edit: If a player did bullet time, anyone who could see them also would go into bullet time and you'd get a chain across the map of folks randomly going slow motion.

Thing is with tacked on multiplayer modes is that in retrospect, they provided a badly needed venue for experimentation as they had to figure out how to incorporate what they'd made for the game into a multiplayer setup. A lot of them were forgettable and died quickly, yeah, but so many massive games came out of side multiplayer modes that turned out to be onto some good ideas. Heh, Fortnite almost needs no introduction there.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

it's the only game where exploring on foot felt like hiking in real life. I paid attention to the landscape, kept an eye on my footing, was careful around sharp drops. After I beat the game I went for platinum, and then I just... walked to the farthest corners of the map, just to see what was there. There wasn't some great secret, just an endless black ocean and a quiet beach.

Reminds me of how Breath of the Wild specifically has something interesting at all four corners of the map.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Jan 23, 2024

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
The multiplayer in Ghost of Tsushima is pretty tacked on, and is also super fun and I've played a shed load of it.

Man I love ghost of Tsushima.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
One of the best co op experiences I ever had was when portal 2 came out, I joined up with a total stranger and we blasted through every level in one session without saying a single word to each other. That was just outstanding game design right there.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We cannot let him read Infinite Jest, under any circumstances.

the real infinite jest is the one kojima plays on you, the player.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My best coop experience was in this old MMORPG called Horizons. It had this gimmick where you all items, weapons, armor, everything (I think) was crafted by other players and consigned to store NPCs. So basically half the world was fighty doods and half the world was crafty doods. People worked together to unlock races. It was pretty cool! Most of the races were basically variations of each other, just with different stats, but there was also the DRAGON class which was a unique class and played differently. I found myse

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hel posted:

Yeah, the core walking/transporting parts of Death Stranding were great, it's just a shame they didn't have faith that it could stand on it's own.

I would love a mod that removed BTs, combat and to be honest the entire plot other than back and forth deliveries. Just leave it as the walking simulator equivalent of Truck Simulator/Snowrunner.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I would love a mod that removed BTs, combat and to be honest the entire plot other than back and forth deliveries. Just leave it as the walking simulator equivalent of Truck Simulator/Snowrunner.

This would be a perfect game for me

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

How is the combat anyway?

I really wanna play the game and even own it, but from what I saw in videos the combat seemed like a turn off to me. I just wanna deliver parcels in the terrible wastelands and build structure for people to use

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I really wanna play the game and even own it, but from what I saw in videos the combat seemed like a turn off to me. I just wanna deliver parcels in the terrible wastelands and build structure for people to use

you could just move to new mexico.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

credburn posted:

My best coop experience was in this old MMORPG called Horizons. It had this gimmick where you all items, weapons, armor, everything (I think) was crafted by other players and consigned to store NPCs. So basically half the world was fighty doods and half the world was crafty doods. People worked together to unlock races. It was pretty cool! Most of the races were basically variations of each other, just with different stats, but there was also the DRAGON class which was a unique class and played differently. I found myse

Can't believe a dragonslayer took credburn out midpost :sadwave: RIP

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

bawk posted:

Can't believe a dragonslayer took credburn out midpost :sadwave: RIP

Somebody told them they could press Alt + F4 to supercharge their post

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The combat is mostly easy and without exaggeration is only 2% of the game. Don’t let it dissuade you, death stranding is great and almost all of it is just figuring out how to get packages across terrain safely and building things to make it easier

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The combat is fine. There are plenty of different tools you can use to take your enemies out, and the weapons and grenades also take up space on your back, which can lead to an increased challenge.

It's a Kojima game, so you're encouraged to play your way (sneak/kill). The different types of enemies (BTs and humans) require different strategies.

The enemies can generate interesting emergent moments, especially if you go into a rainy area without much supplies and have to stealth your way through the BT area, or get knocked out by some jerks who steal your packages.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

my friend kept telling me to play death stranding and i never would because it just didn't seem like my jam and then he bought it for me for christmas one year so i felt obligated to give it a shot and it became one of my favorite games ive ever played thanks for listening

edit: also the BB bike skin in days gone ruled

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
My favourite little thing in games: BB. God I love that little ragamuffin.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Morpheus posted:

How did you get into my living room :tinfoil:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The base mechanics are just a mediocre third person shooter, which is why it's annoying that so much effort is spent on it.

Your safe room has a wall for gear, which is 2/3s covered in guns, the opposite wall is dedicated to combat trophies and boss refights, and another one is for the shower/toilet which gives you grenades.

Most of that is completely useless, You get the blood grenades so early that the pee and poop ones are never necessary, and iirc don't fit in the free grenade pouches anyway.
The only non-lethal weapon you'll ever use is the bolo gun, because it's one shot ko, easier to hit with and doesn't take much space, so all the others are pretty wasted. And for bossfight, you are either using what's in the arena or if you are farming them, a backpack full of rocket launchers.

Any other lethal weapons is useless because it leads to tedium or a game over. Also they have an ugly design. They really could have reduced it to like three weapons and making ropes for the bolo gun would have been a better use for the sandal plants you are never going to use ever. Just like the critters are for blood.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A ton of guns that you never use is pretty on track for Kojima. I think a lot of that is just for gun nerds to play with.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's so weird, because all that comes right after MGSV, which is still my favorite shooter on gameplay merits. But yeah, it's just mostly mediocre in Death Stranding. A few things are actively bad (mostly bosses), but mostly it's just aggravating on account of being in the way of stuff I like more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Philippe posted:

The online system is purely collaborative and it's harder (though not impossible) to troll your fellow Porters.

At launch there was a problem with the one guy who lived at the bottom of a box canyon, it was pretty common to go visit him only to find the box canyon so full of abandoned trucks that you couldn't reach the door. I don't think it was intentional, just that whenever someone parked a truck there it would get synced to the world server and anyone who went there later would find all the trucks of everyone who had been recently. Eventually they patched in a button to delete other people's trucks

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Human enemies basically stop being a thing as soon as you get the nonlethal assault rifle that KOs in one headshot and has basically no downsides.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

also you can just ram mofos with your truck - it takes a lot for them to actually die

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like that there's an in-story reason to not kill people. Killing people and leaving the corpse without incinerating it causes a voidout (a sort of matter-antimatter explosion), so please be careful.

This also means that the human enemies have a little autodeploy flotation device attached to their outfits, so they don't drown if you knock them out while they're standing in water. It's cute.

I agree that the combat feels vestigial, but there's also a reason to engage with it (the human bases have collectables and large amounts of crafting materials, which you'll need to make roads).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My best friend and I have played just about every co-op game that has been made since the 2000s, starting with L4D when I was in Wisconsin and he was in Shanghai. Since then, I've moved cross country to the East Bay; while he's bounced to Singapore, LA, the Netherlands, San Francisco, Austin, and now Wyoming.

The fact that we've been keeping this sort of nonsense up for over 15 years and thousands of miles is one of my favorite gaming things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The main problem with combat in Death Stranding is how unimportant and rare it is for most of the game but then for story missions it's an absolute requirement. Feels like an indictment of videogames in general that we couldn't just have the spooky Exoskeleton Delivery Guy game, it had to have monster boss fights and terrorists and full-on Call of Duty flashback war sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actual boss fights are if anything an endangered species in video games worth preserving whenever possible.