Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

i think, hes trying to say that trump is popular in china because the population of china is whiny crybabies who want to become rich, and also they have bad fashion sense

Rolling up the shirt on a hot day is just a practical way to beat the heat. Expats wanting dudes to stop doing that are just demanding hijabs for men of a certain age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Beijing Bikini-core Uncles are peak masculinity

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Telluric Whistler posted:

Rolling up the shirt on a hot day is just a practical way to beat the heat. Expats wanting dudes to stop doing that are just demanding hijabs for men of a certain age.

the guy who posted that probably hasn't spent more than ten minutes outside an air conditioned room in the past ten years.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
The people's republic loves trump because he brings smiles and laughter

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
ChatGPT, make a Trump wearing Beijing Bikini photo.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

crepeface posted:

freedom is when you run away and are taken in by a nice LGBT couple and taught how to be a child prostitute to survive, repression is when you're taken back home and can go to school

Gay adults do represent a pedophilic threat to children, you're so right

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Oh boy

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

It's safer to be gay in China than a gamer in Beijing or uyghur in xinjiang.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

yellowcar posted:

lol the exact kind of stupid rube that falls for the exact kind of stupid idpol culture war propaganda the west shits out to propagate anti-communism

You can acknowledge the reality that there is a lot of prejudice against LGBT people in China without believing in the anti-communist narratives that the west tries to push through pinkwashing. I would consider someone who rejects material reality in the interest of preserving an idealized view of the world to be a rube.

Weka posted:

Does that situation even exist? Who knows, as the only evidence presented is the word of a journalist who has only ever written 'China bad' pieces for this publication.

Looking up the first organization mentioned, the Beijing LGBT Center, it has received funding from the Los Angeles LGBT Center, itself directly funded by the American government.
Shanghai Pride was founded and organized by two Americans.

If I was the government of China I would be extremely sceptical of any NGO with American ties, and I certainly do not trust either the word of western media or of people who run such NGOs as to why they were shuttered.

I am sure there have been numerous instances of discrimination against LGBTQ+ people by agents of the Chinese state, but that is very different to the sort of systemic oppression this piece is suggesting is happening.

This is basically exactly what I said w/r/t LGBT rights being associated with western infiltration, and states pushing back against those rights to assert resistance to western cultural hegemony. Why destroy the organizations when you can cut off their funding and Sinicize them?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
or people can join another one

hell, there's already a huge organization with millions of lgbt members called the cpc

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
There’s a lot of good things to say about LGBT rights in China when comparing it to other countries in the world and its region! It’s not illegal to be gay or to advocate for gay rights! There’s an open LGBT culture there! But there’s still issues and they aren’t progressing as quickly as, say, Cuba (which I consider to be extremely good on LGBT rights after the new constitution)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Tankbuster posted:

Of course all the contractors working on it are from gujarat lol.

thats a classic

https://thewire.in/labour/new-jerseys-akshardham-temple-that-allegedly-flouted-labour-wage-laws-opens

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

You can acknowledge the reality that there is a lot of prejudice against LGBT people in China without believing in the anti-communist narratives that the west tries to push through pinkwashing. I would consider someone who rejects material reality in the interest of preserving an idealized view of the world to be a rube.

yes you can infer that there's prejudice against lgbt minorities in chinese society but no i'm not gonna believe that the evil see see pee is actively hunting down and abducting and/or oppressing lgbt people as implied in that article that's ridiculous

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Speaking from experience, LGBT gets way less heat from the chinese version of the reddit crowd compared to their misunderstood, prejudice against Muslim/Muslim minority.

Like, I see 10 times animosity against "wokism" and " women right activism" than against LGBT from Chinese netizens.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

This is basically exactly what I said w/r/t LGBT rights being associated with western infiltration, and states pushing back against those rights to assert resistance to western cultural hegemony. Why destroy the organizations when you can cut off their funding and Sinicize them?

This last bit just seems like it's not as easy as it seems.

Given the prevalence of western NGO's all over the place, has that been tried/worked before? Just anywhere, not necessarily China or anything related to LGBT issues.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Truga posted:

hell, there's already a huge organization with millions of lgbt members called the cpc

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

unwantedplatypus posted:

Gay adults do represent a pedophilic threat to children, you're so right

I'm referencing a story last year where this happened in America and it was presented as a good thing

go read that intro to that guardian hit piece article again without being a credulous moron and see if you can get the situation that actually being described

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

weird, unwantedplatypus had no response to what I said :thunk:

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Bongbong with yet another presidential W

https://twitter.com/populismupdates/status/1749881583967096877

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

weird, unwantedplatypus had no response to what I said :thunk:

bow tie spinning at mach speed

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I read it as "cosplay" event.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

He's right

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

immediate guillotine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

his excuse for needing to use the chopper was that the Presidential Security Group did not anticipate that 40,000 people would be coming to watch a Coldplay concert and that it would make him vulnerable to be sitting in traffic trying to get to the venue by car

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

no one should need to attend a coldplay concert that badly

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

hell I don't even take a helicopter to work most days anymore

we've all gotta do our part to fight climate change

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1749366290559500397

quote:

Followup on the ongoing Ga and Ge export restrictions out of China

the west does sanctions like this, the people's republic of china does sanctions like this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i have no idea who this guy is but it popped up in youtube recommendations and he has some interesting things to say about china including thread favorite michael penis, and the guy talking doesn't seem like he's all that leftist. part i found interesting is 52:00 to 1:05:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exjLSxKenE&t=3136s

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/georgemagnus1/status/1748990168747344032

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

fart simpson posted:

i have no idea who this guy is but it popped up in youtube recommendations and he has some interesting things to say about china including thread favorite michael penis, and the guy talking doesn't seem like he's all that leftist. part i found interesting is 52:00 to 1:05:00

i think this is one of tinkzorg's posting pals on twitter iirc

edit: and yeah he's right wing but he's also smarter than the vast bulk of the right commentariat who trip on the low bar planted on the low ground and blame the latest culture war fad for why the west is falling

Danann has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Jan 24, 2024

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Danann posted:

edit: and yeah he's right wing but he's also smarter than the vast bulk of the right commentariat who trip on the low bar planted on the low ground and blame the latest culture war fad for why the west is falling

Yeah this was a good clip, thanks fart

Novara is the channel with that British woman who said "I'm a communist you idiot" to some British guy on British news who thought she loved Obama. That was popular on Twitter for a few days a few years ago

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

fart simpson posted:

Danann posted:

after watching the novara interview yesterday, i listened to a couple of gaza-focused eps of his podcast from october – their predictions were pretty good (aside from assuming international pressure would stop israel from going full genocide).

also did a massive double take after they mentioned tinkzorg lol, they have a 2-hour-long episode with him...

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

unwantedplatypus posted:

LGBT acceptance has been used by the west to justify cultural and political chauvinism, with the implication that accepting LGBT people is a sign of the west's cultural and moral superiority. The pinkwashing of Israel is a prime example. So LGBT acceptance is viewed by most non-western aligned states and cultures as a form of western cultural imperialism and encroachment. LGBT repression thereby becomes a way of distinguishing themselves from the West and plays well to domestic audiences, this social rejection of the west can also be used to cover up economic capitulation to the west.

The west is wrong for pinkwashing. Non-western states are extremely wrong for oppressing LGBT people; and incredibly marginalized non-western LGBT people suffer for it. It's a genuinely horrible situation and one of my major disappointments with modern communist parties. Although China is stagnating or occasionally back-sliding in this issue (non-coincidentally when the US has increased its belligerence towards them), the communists in Cuba and (to my understanding) Vietnam are progressing on this issue.
glenn greenwald on gay genocide
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1748061481483051514

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
*stav voice* no... gently caress no dude

hey some guy TT, check out this cool video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymJrCOW06DU

crepeface has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Jan 24, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mila kunis posted:

a proto-bjp led mob in the early 90s marched on a hundreds+ year old mosque and destroyed it, setting off riots across the country that got thousands of people killed. it relaunched anti-muslim sectarianism as a political platform years after that had been mostly dead/killed by official secularism, and set the bjp on the path to becoming the major opposition and then with the help of the oligarchy, the ruling party (they also briefly won an elected government in the 90s that didn't last as long).

even until a decade ago, what to do with the demolition site was a massively controversial issue and portrayed as such in the media. There were plans to build an interfaith museum or whatever at some point. but the oligarchy has completely captured the Indian media and the building of a temple over the destroyed mosque is being shown everywhere as a grand historical event and a victory for Hinduism. Real fascist triumph of the will hours and majoritarian end zone dance poo poo over the muslim minority.

There are like hundreds of millions of Muslims in India btw, so if they continue to take this stuff to the extremes like the majoritarian ethnic chauvinists took in Ukraine this could become a disaster of world historic proportions

yeah I was taught this was a third rail of politics in college and never thought about it much since so this was pretty surprising but in hindsight probably shouldn't have been. at the time the bjp was an anomaly

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Danann posted:

Just the attitude of a country outside of the west (any country) has something new the west should learn from and copy from is a very rare attitude. Can't say I heard it from an English talking head last time.

Still, he spent more than half that segment disclaiming he was not a "pro-China guy" lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1750094859137146989

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wow, he should go to more coldplay concerts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

code:

[video type="youtube" start="3136s"]7exjLSxKenE[/video
]

pretty good, thanks for posting. I laughed when he said that the internet was military tech from DARPA 15 minutes after he talked about how CHIPS was going to fail compared to how China invested in tech.

also lolled when he mentioned how he wouldn't want to live in china when he's never even been there.

I think there's a whole bunch of socially rightwing industrial capitalist analysts who have filled the very obvious ideological hole in liberal discourse