Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Fire Storm posted:

You don't have to dream any more! There exists mod for Rimworld called "RimjobWorld", but it's also known as the Forbidden Mod

Haha my god, love it

Love this bit from the article posted...

quote:

optimization is guts. Lady Luck only smiles on those who lick the documentation, repeatedly hit memreports, and grep on the hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kith posted:

You don't HAVE to, but kind of the point of the game is to automate as much as possible. It only takes two Berry Plantations, a Gumoss, and a Teafant, and you never have to worry about it ever again.

Yea, this. Berry Plantations may as well be free to build - just sacrifice 2 Pal Spots to a grower and a sprinkler. You really won't notice if a difference if you had 2 more Miners or whatever.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
man all the noise surrounding this game has made me think if a survival type game has ever released as a complete, not early access needing full on reworks, product

also did anyone else build a base in the ruins that's right behind you when you first spawn?? i was so disappointed when i couldn't actually build on the ruins but at least if you jankily line up foundations with roof pieces off of a different foundation that pals can path find across. and raids spawn at the very top turning it into a psudeo tower defense fight arena

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
I feel like people forget how buggy and garbage ARK was right after launch. It had a similar trajectory as this game, had a bunch of storefront bought assets that looked ripped from other games, etc. This is definitely cutting it close, but as a game dev myself, sometimes the only way to actually ship something without going broke is to cut corners. If Nintendo allowed modding of their games then Palworld would've already existed.

Also Riot one of the biggest game dev companies in the world ripped LoL off of WC3. But let's just forget that it ever happened cause surely Riot was wholey original in their ideas.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone found a rhyme or reason to the spawns in the wildlife reserves? Are some of the spawns just much rarer than others?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Very weird. All my guys have beds, plenty of food, and I have three hot tubs (one of them the fancy one). I still get a shitload of injuries.

I'm wondering if they are being caused by the physics bug that has been happening to some people when they fast travel to their base and the pals spawn up in the air and fall to the ground. Apparently they sometimes take damage.

I’d assume it’s that bug yeah, especially depending on where you built.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

YerDa Zabam posted:

Love this bit from the article posted...

I recently did some optimization work for CDDA and I could really empathize with him there. No one else is doing it, so you have no choice, someone's gotta just get down and do it. And he did a pretty drat good job, I must say.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What's a efficient item to sell?
The normal crossbow sells for 2520 in the Small Settlement you can see from the Tutorial Rayne/Rain tower.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

2MB posted:

There's definitely some very finicky stuff involved with the pathfinding. I had a cooler that my penguins would refuse to work on until I moved it an arbitrary inch over and suddenly they could perceive it.

I had this issue as well, but it had nothing to do with pathfinding. Instead, any cooler Pal would refuse to work it until I put something inside of the cooler that needed actual cooling.

It's very weird! Certain tasks clearly have higher priority for all pals, like any pal that can help build will drop whatever it's doing to go help build. Or pals that can gather crops will drop transporting tasks to go gather.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GilliamYaeger posted:

You should. It takes just one Dumud and one Verdash/Petallia/Robinquill to set up a functional food system, and the Dumud helps with mining and the Verdash/Petallia/Robinquill helps moving the ore into boxes while not doing farming poo poo, which is important since otherwise the mined ore just sits there and eventually despawns.

As for the best miner, just go out and catch a fuckton of Digtoises. Easy and early to get (level 20-ish) and you can just get a fuckton of them and they'll do nothing but mine poo poo.

I will put up a note of caution on Digtoises. They are rank 3 mining, super easy to get, and completely loving worthless on ore or coal deposits, any of the actual in-world objects to mine from. When they do their spinning attack they do like 15 damage to the rock start to finish for a long animation and take for loving ever to actually do anything. Meanwhile one Tombat with 2 mining is doing 30-40 damage per animation and each attack is faster. That being said, if your Digtoise is laboring away at a quarry then the dumb stupid bad animation doesn't matter and it's just the rank 3 mining, which makes it significantly faster than a Tombat at getting basic stone out of the quarry.

For the conversation about mono-skill pals and planters, I find it's OK to get someone who has watering or planting and then something else. The current system seems to prioritize food over everything else natively so you can have your planter/waterer running around doing hauling in their off time and as soon as a berry patch opens up they'll drop what they're doing and run right over to it, finish it, then go back to hauling stuff. Conversely, crafting or hauling seem to be lower than some other tasks so if you want those done in a timely manner those are good times to have mono-skilled pals running around. For maximum comedy factor, most humans have crafting and only crafting. I make a point to keep some Team Rocket dickheads around because it's useful for dedicated crafting and makes me laugh that they're the ones in a Pokeball now. The big burly guy with the minigun is pretty good in a fight too, or you can go Maximum Evil and snag yourself a wandering trader and have a pet merchant in your base. If you're ambitious in your evil you can even raid the settlements and get those vendors.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DaveKap posted:

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know how sales on Steam work, there's a really funny note to take away from this document mentioning they've run out of money: They probably aren't going to get paid for the Palworld sales until March. I'm super curious how much they got from Microsoft for the Game Pass version. The way this doc reads, it might not be nearly as much as it's really worth.

Indie devs barely get anything for getting onto gamepass, since the negotiation is a function of MS's perception of the game's engagement value and the dev's pedigree. Famously MS was prepared to offer 5 mil to Larian for BG3.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any advice for finding Tombats? I have one or two, I know they only come out at night but yea I'm like level 35 or something and barely ever see them.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

dopesilly posted:

I feel like people forget how buggy and garbage ARK was right after launch.

It wasn't smooth going on my ps4 either. They remastered the game recently but apparently they didn't fix much of the issues the original had.

When I first saw the character creator and then the menus for gameplay I was so worried, but I got over it quickly because this is actually fun.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Sab669 posted:

Any advice for finding Tombats? I have one or two, I know they only come out at night but yea I'm like level 35 or something and barely ever see them.

I've seen them spawn just southeast of the Desolate Church (west of the first Syndicate tower if you're going from the start area) and also south of the Small Settlement in the autumn forest place.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Open your not-Pokedex, find the Tombat entry, look in the middle of the screen and flip the tab over from stats to, umm, habitat? I forget the name. Anyway whatever it's named it will show you the world map with their exact spawn locations.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Stun baton seems completely and utterly useless. At least the base craftable version without any points in attak on my character card. 10 damage, and it only seems to have a "chance" to proc electric on hit, 100% waste of resources, beware.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

You should. It takes just one Dumud and one Verdash/Petallia/Robinquill to set up a functional food system, and the Dumud helps with mining and the Verdash/Petallia/Robinquill helps moving the ore into boxes while not doing farming poo poo, which is important since otherwise the mined ore just sits there and eventually despawns.

As for the best miner, just go out and catch a fuckton of Digtoises. Easy and early to get (level 20-ish) and you can just get a fuckton of them and they'll do nothing but mine poo poo.

Is this maybe a starting area thing, since I haven't seen any of those yet. My Tombat squad seems to do well so far with one of them mole guys from dungeon as hauler and two plantations to provide, like suggested. Only issue is my first base doesn't allow a chest built near the palbox so I can't immediately unload the haul. First Palworld problems...

I've explored the southern islands and they all seem to have the same type of enemies, so maybe they are all starting zones. The east one had some super vicious exploding bees and monkeys though, managed to cap one of each. Have to keep exploring north next, maybe to find those settlements people talk about. And I still haven't even finished the first tower!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

bird food bathtub posted:

Conversely, crafting or hauling seem to be lower than some other tasks so if you want those done in a timely manner those are good times to have mono-skilled pals running around.
For hauling, Helzephyr and Vanwyrm Cryst are the best mono-skilled haulers (level 3 each, Vanwyrm also has Cooling 2 but since cooling to my admittedly limited knowledge requires you to assign the Pal manually it may as well not be there) and for crafting...you don't have a lot of good options.

Loupmoon's the only mon with mono-Handiwork, but it's only level 2. Basically everything with level 3 or 4 handiwork also has Transporting, meaning they'll regularly gently caress off to carry rocks around. The best one for the job other than Loupmoon might be Lyleen Noct, since her other skills are Medicine Production (more crafting) and Gathering. (happens much, much less frequently than Transporting) So they'll spend a lot more time at the workbench than, say, a Wixen.

TeaJay posted:

Is this maybe a starting area thing, since I haven't seen any of those yet. My Tombat squad seems to do well so far with one of them mole guys from dungeon as hauler and two plantations to provide, like suggested. Only issue is my first base doesn't allow a chest built near the palbox so I can't immediately unload the haul. First Palworld problems...

I've explored the southern islands and they all seem to have the same type of enemies, so maybe they are all starting zones. The east one had some super vicious exploding bees and monkeys though, managed to cap one of each. Have to keep exploring north next, maybe to find those settlements people talk about. And I still haven't even finished the first tower!
From the autumn woods zone, head north west across a stretch of green woodland until you hit a desert-beach location on the other side of a wide river. The mons there are level 20-ish and you can find both Dumud and Digtoise.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 23, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Open your not-Pokedex, find the Tombat entry, look in the middle of the screen and flip the tab over from stats to, umm, habitat? I forget the name. Anyway whatever it's named it will show you the world map with their exact spawn locations.

I did check that but IIRC it just highlighted like the whole drat map lol.

I ran around for a bit and all I could find was Daydreams and the usual things that spawn in that area during the day :shrug:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

An unexpected detail is that unlike Pokémon, none of the pals have a 100%/0% gender ratio, even when it'd make biological sense to do so like for Elizabee. It's not even especially rare: a 10% chance to get an inexplicably male queen bee? Hell, why not.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ok I'm fully back on the 'devs absolutely know they're making a meme game' train knowing that Lovander is #69 in the pokedex.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

dopesilly posted:

I feel like people forget how buggy and garbage ARK was right after launch. It had a similar trajectory as this game, had a bunch of storefront bought assets that looked ripped from other games, etc. This is definitely cutting it close, but as a game dev myself, sometimes the only way to actually ship something without going broke is to cut corners. If Nintendo allowed modding of their games then Palworld would've already existed.

Also Riot one of the biggest game dev companies in the world ripped LoL off of WC3. But let's just forget that it ever happened cause surely Riot was wholey original in their ideas.

I feel like that is more of a "we need to get this game out, right NOW!" issue.

Not letting people mod is p much the point on protecting your intellectual property.

It's kinda sad no matter how you look at it. If you don't give people the time to do it themselves, you can just yank whatever files you can find and slap it into your game.

Doesn't help that everything is leaked online now anyway, one quick Google search and bam, got your assests.

Do what you gotta do to keep a roof over your head and food in your stomach tho.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SettingSun posted:

Ok I'm fully back on the 'devs absolutely know they're making a meme game' train knowing that Lovander is #69 in the pokedex.

Completely true, there are more than a few meme-type jokes and some poking fun at themselves for being a Pokemon rip-off. There are some bits of genuinely good humor though. Lamball totally blindsided me and I laughed pretty good with that one. Read the skill description and it plays it 100% completely straight faced. Then you go to use the ability and your character just goes "loving YOINK" and holds them up to get shot first. Or everything about Depresso's animations, that one is my spirit guide.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s also important to note that Ark still looks, runs and plays like poo poo, even after years of fixes and some hundred plus dollars in DLC.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sushibandit posted:

Stun baton seems completely and utterly useless. At least the base craftable version without any points in attak on my character card. 10 damage, and it only seems to have a "chance" to proc electric on hit, 100% waste of resources, beware.

Stunning boosts capture rate, that what it exists for. It's not to do damage. The fact it does so little damage is a good thing, because it means you aren't going to overshoot and accidentally kill something that is low. You can also stun and get behind someone to boost the chance more. And if you need to get some low level Pals it can weaken them without your beefier poo poo loving obliterating them. When you absolutely, positively want to capture something? It's a great little bonus. If you don't care about that? Yeah, don't craft one.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbsF5R7Zf0E

I don't think this video is going to be up for long.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 23, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I still remember my experience with Ark was having a friend starting up a server so we could play on our own, us playing for a few hours, stopping for the night, and coming back the next day to find out time was running on the server even when we were both logged out (and noone was present on the server,) so all our food went bad and all of our dodos died. I have not touched Ark since.

SettingSun posted:

A friend said that apparently came about in response to a twitter comment (they showed off the Pal and someone said it should be dex 69, dev responded "oh good idea" or something to that effect.)

In either case, credit where credit is due.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
#420, smoke Cherubi every day

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Heran Bago posted:

https://youtu.be/AbsF5R7Zf0E?si=JGC-ObvxMJtxIK5u

It's already gone. Idiot tried to make money off a PAID Pokemon mod, what did he think was going to happen?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don’t understand the point of the feedback upgrades. Like cool, more slots, but why would I ever use more than a giant stack in one slot?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don’t understand the point of the feedback upgrades. Like cool, more slots, but why would I ever use more than a giant stack in one slot?
It's basically four extra item slots for you to store monster drops in if they happen to be food items, like honey.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sucks that I have to put a docker compose restart every 6 hours into cron. Hope they fix that memory leak issue soon!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I basically just use it as somewhere for food drops to go when I’m farming a ton of organs or something but don’t want my inventory half filled with meats

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

GilliamYaeger posted:

It's already gone. Idiot tried to make money off a PAID Pokemon mod, what did he think was going to happen?

They took down the video in that tweet. The new one is 16 mins and hasn't been up for long.

Don't see a download link but lol if the dude thinks he's going to sell it.

e: Dude posted on his community youtube page they are not releasing it right now. It will be free if they can "go about it the right way to avoid a lawsuit", so lol.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 23, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011
I assume his plan is to draw more people to his content even if those two particular videos never see a dime, it’s not really rocket science

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Heran Bago posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbsF5R7Zf0E

Yeah, the one that was posted yesterday is already copyright whacked https://twitter.com/ToastedShoes/status/1749381513001767167

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are you able to change server settings for a game already in progress, or do you need to competent start over?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dude's just driving engagement, seen plainly by that tweet being the announcement of a video instead of just being the video.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Lol, ownd

I really don't know what they were thinking, Nintendo has a long history of suing.

Mod if you want, but don't post it all over the internet where they can see.

Dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Countblanc posted:

Are you able to change server settings for a game already in progress, or do you need to competent start over?
You need to log out.