Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ah, gotcha. I didn't know realize it was only one proposed film per country. I guess it makes sense though, and reading up on Perfect Days, it seems way more like a "classic" Oscar nomination.

Not that that's bad - it seems like a very good film - but it is a very standard "artsy" film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Who still gives a poo poo about the Oscars

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slowly more monster movies will make it into the Oscar’s and then I’ll care

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Asterite34 posted:

They're dumb, but Minus One winning anything would go a long way towards getting a sequel made.

But yeah the fact that Suzume wasn't even nominated for Best Animated Feature shows just how bullshit they are.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Annath posted:

They're dumb, but Minus One winning anything would go a long way towards getting a sequel made.

But yeah the fact that Suzume wasn't even nominated for Best Animated Feature shows just how bullshit they are.

Not winning Oscars has never prevented the making of more Godzilla sequels before, why would it matter now?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Asterite34 posted:

Not winning Oscars has never prevented the making of more Godzilla sequels before, why would it matter now?

I mean a direct followup to Minus One.

And I didn't say not getting one would *prevent* a sequel, just that it would definitely make getting one more likely.

Like you can't seriously be arguing that as stupid as awards shows are, they don't have any impact on studios' decisions on what to greenlight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because it seems like toho keeps doing one and done movies and it would be cool to see a minus +1.

Shin Godzilla 2 could’ve been dope with those creepy rear end tail monsters :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly I feel like Minus One earning ten times its budget will go further towards making a sequel than any Oscar nomination.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Godzilla

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I enjoyed Perfect Days, needed at least one more monster though

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Asterite34 posted:

Godzilla

Godzilla Plus One begins with an Oscar snub and Godzilla smashing the venue to exact his vengeance. A film about Godzilla's personal quest to be Taken Seriously.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Casually nuking out portions of Ginza would seem to go a long way towards letting people know he means business..

It should be noted that Godzilla got his star on the Walk of Fame outside of Graumann's Chinese Theatre back in 2004 but I doubt any producers are factoring that in when they decide to do a Godzilla project

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Binary Badger posted:

Casually nuking out portions of Ginza would seem to go a long way towards letting people know he means business..

It should be noted that Godzilla got his star on the Walk of Fame outside of Graumann's Chinese Theatre back in 2004 but I doubt any producers are factoring that in when they decide to do a Godzilla project

I mean, at least the Oscars *pretend* to have some sort of criteria.

The Walk of Fame stars are literally paid for. Like, the actors, and I guess in this case Toho, just go say "I want one" and hand over some cash.

They may have some internal criteria for who they feel is a "legitimate" actor to keep everyone with a credit in a drug commercial from buying one, but they may just price them high enough only popular stars can afford it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They have to have some sort of criteria. Gamera tried to buy one but they refused to answer his phone calls.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

They have to have some sort of criteria. Gamera tried to buy one but they refused to answer his phone calls.

Gamera will get one when he stages his Mickey Rourke-esque dramatic comeback

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Gamera will get one when he stages his Mickey Rourke-esque dramatic comeback

He kinda already did that though?

Really Gamera's career trajectory kinda mirrors Travolta's. Lotta goofy stuff in the 70s, then nothing for a while as he became a pop culture punchline, then a revival in the 90s with a director giving him big mean/dramatic roles

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Asterite34 posted:

He kinda already did that though?

Really Gamera's career trajectory kinda mirrors Travolta's. Lotta goofy stuff in the 70s, then nothing for a while as he became a pop culture punchline, then a revival in the 90s with a director giving him big mean/dramatic roles

Oh my God, when do we get Gamera's scientology film?!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

Never, because Gamera is friend of all children not a child slaver.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/sonicpower1970/status/1749805508515799172?t=r9IW8bRgWNQy4kcxEbpCsw&s=19

Celebrating the Oscar nomination.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Tell them awards don't matter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Godzilla's kids get excited to hear about them and that's good enough for him. Minilia still shows off his dad's MTV movie award ar Monster Island parties.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are they not told in advance? This is all live?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vintersorg posted:

Are they not told in advance? This is all live?

They have a nomination show to announce the nominees for Oscar nominations.

It's the equivalent of a teaser for a full trailer.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
You guys are hurting my head with your math, the sequel will obviously be called Godzilla Zero :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It's also the first time ever that a Godzilla movie has been nominated for an Academy Award. Godzilla 98 was nominated for a whole lot of Razzie Awards which I guess was the closest they'd come so far, lol.

It's also a big get for Toho, they won Academy awards for Best Foreign Language Film back in '54 for Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto and the award for Best Costume Design in '85 for Ran and they got a bunch of nominations back when they used to produce Kurosawa's films (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Kagemusha were all nominated but the Academy failed to recognise them and in the end Steven Spielberg and George Lucas insisted the Academy give Kurosawa an Honorary Academy Award in '89 because what the gently caress) but it's been a long time between drinks for them.

(A bunch of films which they distributed but didn't produce got nominated for Academy awards but I'm not counting those)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for Godzilla-2

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

"Body Thetans" definitely sounds like something a giant turtle could fight

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Phy posted:

"Body Thetans" definitely sounds like something a giant turtle could fight

Gamera is a child psychologist

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I just finished the Netflix Gamera series.

Holy poo poo.

It was four episodes of really good kid drama spiced up with a kaiju threat that Gamera would murder the gently caress out of at the end. Seriously, Gamera fights mean, Gamera fights dirty, Gamera fights to win. The fight choreography is as good as you've seen for kaiju battles.

Then at the end of episode 4 we get a sharp left turn into some insane conspiracy weirdness and it's great for an episode and a half.

The Defense Forces actually make a difference. The two characters who sat around in tanks for five episodes actually contribute.

They stick the landing. 10/10. One of the biggest gently caress Yous to the bad guy since Return of the King. "Plan B is working, let us now drink our wine. Wait, what's that alarm?"

To pay off the sequel hooks they'd have to go Singularity Point levels of weirdness, and I really hope they do.

Absolute banger of a series, not to be missed.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mllaneza posted:

I just finished the Netflix Gamera series.

Holy poo poo.

It was four episodes of really good kid drama spiced up with a kaiju threat that Gamera would murder the gently caress out of at the end. Seriously, Gamera fights mean, Gamera fights dirty, Gamera fights to win. The fight choreography is as good as you've seen for kaiju battles.

Then at the end of episode 4 we get a sharp left turn into some insane conspiracy weirdness and it's great for an episode and a half.

The Defense Forces actually make a difference. The two characters who sat around in tanks for five episodes actually contribute.

They stick the landing. 10/10. One of the biggest gently caress Yous to the bad guy since Return of the King. "Plan B is working, let us now drink our wine. Wait, what's that alarm?"

To pay off the sequel hooks they'd have to go Singularity Point levels of weirdness, and I really hope they do.

Absolute banger of a series, not to be missed.

I've been saying that and no one ever listens, Guiron is actually kind of terrifying to deal with.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 25, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I've been saying that and no one ever listens, Guiron is actually kind of terrifying to deal with.

Yeah, Guiron is one scary motherfucker.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
These were the first non-suit interpretations for most of these Gamera monsters, right?

They did a really good job of updating them, with Guiron really standing out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Really neat interview with Takashi Yamazaki (I ran it through DeepL translate) in which he reveals that in -1 Godzilla as a species has the healing power already and that the atomic blast mutated this ability so it grew larger. So if Koichi had shot the Godzillasaurus on Oda Island with his plane's guns, it would not have stopped G.

https://hjweb.jp/article/1333072/

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
That's what I always suspected.

If you look at Godzilla after he mutates, you see the same off-color scarring he gets on his face pretty much all over his body.

That meant to me that he was already able to regen, and the blast triggered him to regrow bigger.

Also, my headcanon is that he becomes more aggressive because he's in constant pain from full body burns :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Annath posted:

Also, my headcanon is that he becomes more aggressive because he's in constant pain from full body burns :(

Same. I think that was the case with -1, shodai, and shin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I figure his reaction to nuclear radiation just supercharged his regeneration while also mutating him into his more upright posture, rather than the radiation along causing regeneration.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1750958757662621967?t=eTNEJTN1mruYTUWC_VTQZg&s=19

drat it looks good in B&W

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

I really wanted to see it, but that version isn't playing anywhere near me :saddowns:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

CelticPredator posted:

Because it seems like toho keeps doing one and done movies and it would be cool to see a minus +1.

Shin Godzilla 2 could’ve been dope with those creepy rear end tail monsters :(

I will be holding out hope still for some sort of eventual continuation. Even if it’s animated or something, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just bought tickets for Sunday evening. I’m so excited.