Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The same set comes with Pitchfork which can consistently do 3 damage off the bat and is much easier to use.

I doubt this is a real card. We haven't seen any indication that Guardian is getting anything that allows them to manipulate how much they succeed by and it doesn't fit in with Wilson in terms of mechanics or theme at all. Or with any investigator from this set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They've done cards the investigators in the box can't use at all before, like all of the guardian weapons higher than level 2 or the Rogue Illicit cards in Circle Undone for example so one that's sub optimal for the box character isn't out of the realm of possibility. Scarlet Keys had a lot of gun support and no guns too, cause they can always assume you have the core box and whatever the box is. I guess Skids in the core box is probably the "best" user of it, which is a poor showing but still, he's got higher agility than any Guardian (who all top out at 3, weirdly) and rogue likes over succeeding and has the tools to try it, usually they prefer to have a higher base than 3 to start with though. He could take the wolf mask as well.

Thematically it's linked to Kohaku, since he is Japanese as well, though obviously can't take the level 0 one, so maybe if they're doing class transition upgrades again like the Holy Rosary in Innsmouth, he could get a higher level mystic one or just a blessed one or something. Roland and Joe Diamond are also perfectly thematic as trenchcoat fedora wearers.

I dunno why I'm arguing quite so hard for it tbh, cause I do hope it is fake, I'd generally prefer Guardian just got some good solid normal cards, I just think it is real personally and bad from what support is currently available but yeah obviously could be bullshit, we'll likely see shortly cause even the campaign guide and presumably the box has fully leaked in Spanish and that is 100% genuine cause the main designer of the game confirmed it. Edit: Ah no, the campaign guide is just up on the Spanish official website.

I'm not gonna look at the main bulk of it obv cause I do wanna go into this one as unspoiled as possible but apparently the hint for the next campaign at the end, which is always a fun little tease, is about "an offer you can't refuse back in Arkham" so people are speculating a gangster/underworld themed campaign, probably with Michael McGlen in the investigator box. Sounds like Hemlock will be a 6 scenario campaign as well, maybe 7 if the intro isn't one of the "days" going by the rules, there are 8 scenarios total based on locations around, you choose where you're going at the start of the day and what time/day you're doing modifies the scenario quite a bit.

So it sounds a bit like an attempt to find the happy middle ground between TSK and the older campaigns, replayable but hopefully the card budget isn't stretched quite so thin making multiple versions of scenarios representing entirely different countries and like, 3 different storylines almost.

Orange Devil posted:

This thing might be the first weapon you want to combo with garrote for 2 health enemies, 4 health enemies and failing to do 3 in one swing to 3 health enemies?

Yeah I'm sure with some effort you can justify it, maybe I'm being a bit kneejerky but it still feels like a lot of effort for the payoff of "likely 3, maybe 4 or 5 damage in a single turn with your 2 handed weapon" and none of the characters who could take it have the stats to really justify it. A Guardian Silas or one with like, a 5 in either stat and then lower intellect and willpower could very easily like it.

If it has been translated accurately then it doesn't have a "during your turn" restriction like garotte either so you could do some killing of 1 health enemies as soon as they spawn or something as well I guess. Even if it does have that and they just didn't note it down then garotte and it plus some some other fast stuff could let you start doing some potentially interesting things. I'd still think it should probably do +1 damage if you just over succeed and then exhaust in general maybe and not quite with the specificity of succeeding by 2 exactly. Or make it so you can add the agility to your strength for the free action so it's at least one really good attack there.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 14, 2024

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Karlov Manor spoilers started. They made a cycle of Temple-like duals. They're typed, etb tapped, and surveil on etb.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I kind of like the idea of the quick attack on the Katana, but forcing you to attack with agility instead of strength blocks Vicious Blow (though not the new Strong Arm), and most Guardians will struggle to make it land. Being able to leverage Guardian damage boosters could make the quick attack pretty nice, and could give me the excuse to take Quickdraw Holster over Bandolier for a quick attack build, but there are so many downsides. It’s expensive, two handed, and currently the only modifier manipulation that Guardians have is Sacred Covenant, and that’s unreliable as hell.

If it were one handed I wouldn’t mind trying out it and a Flashlight, building towards Enchant Weapon and Michael Leigh for damage boosts, and Quickdraw Holster and any pistol for the style. Not for any real efficiency mind you, but I think it would be fun to play. As it is, it exists in the same position of most level 0 weapons, in that it should be upgraded to something high level ASAP.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Karlov Manor spoilers started. They made a cycle of Temple-like duals. They're typed, etb tapped, and surveil on etb.
is this for arkham the card game or have I gone insane

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They're both about detectives, mysteries, magic, clue tokens, etc., I've had mixed up thoughts about Arkham and the upcoming Magic set, too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

is this for arkham the card game or have I gone insane

I clicked on the wrong tab. Woops!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Big wall of text from a not particularly good at evaluating cards in a card game player here but I like writing so I'm gonna do it.

Assuming the spoilers/leaks are correct, it does feel like the two fully new characters are the big winners both out of the box and then Kohaku pulls ahead in terms of deckbuilding excitement with a full collection.

Wilson feels like they forgot to make some tools for him in the box despite there being a couple upgrade cards for tools, unless I'm completely forgetting one that got spoiled early or something. There's obviously some decent stuff in the other sets and the core set has some good clue getting ones for him. He's pretty unexciting though. They've even made an upgraded level 2 fire axe that still doesn't get the tool keyword, it gets fast and an extra strength icon if you commit it (they've been very inconsistent about the tool keyword imo, riot whistles, fire extinguishers and quickdraw holsters get the tool keyword, dowsing rods, fire axes and machetes do not.

Kate feels like she'll be good because seekers are good and she can easily get +2 to tests pretty regularly with Trish stats as her baseline. They didn't make as many science cards outside seeker like I thought they would though, so far just the survivor one has been revealed and the ones from other sets are whatever for her. I'd probably rather play most other seekers over her though.

The Countess is benefitting heavily from them going "well, we've made 7 parley cards or something like that before now so we need to make absolutely fuckloads or else her decks are always gonna look pretty similar". Now there's a lot of cards in all the classes with parley stapled onto them to varying degrees of thematic appropriateness (just imo anyway, I think most of them fit well enough but a lot of people seem pissed about this), she seems like she'll have decent enough variety with those and the regular rogue access. They've even made a rogue gun you can put into play for free when you fail a parley.

Kohaku is probably gonna have a lot of blessed/cursed stuff in this set to play with from all the classes, then all the previous stuff and he's probably incentivised to delve into that stuff cause he can't take the fully upgraded mystic spell assets. If the leaks are correct, the dream eaters spell events like Spectral Razor and Read the Signs have gotten level 2 or 3 upgrades that bounce back into your hand at the end of the turn if you draw a curse token during the test on them, those are already really good at level 0. Both of the big high level guardian cards shown off so far seem like they will be good for him too.

Hank seems similarly odd to the other two classic Arkham characters, people assumed there'd be some more stuff with moving damage/horror around in the survivor cardpool in the box to utilise on him but maybe they figured he was good enough without it, they might be right, nothing about him seems bad as such, hell one of his forms has the highest base stat of any character in all of Arkham, just not anything really new or wildly different and not really jumping out as a "oh poo poo I can't wait to play this guy" investigator, which is how I generally have evaluated the investigator boxes up until now.

Compared to Scarlet Keys, which had 6 investigators, I think there I was interested in playing Charlie and Darrel quite a bit, then Vincent and then the rest I was neutral to meh on but the cards in general were pretty good, customisable seemed to be a bit controversial, I've seen a lot of people say they think it's too complicated or too much to keep track of but I loved the ones I've played so far. I think this box is falling short a bit in comparison, there's very few cards that are hyping me up or questioning why I'd spend XP on them and I'm not exactly a "power player". I suppose the longer the game goes on, they're going to have trouble not just printing things that are "do this but with this other stat instead" or straight power creeping maybe?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tools in this expansion so far are Chemistry Set, Microscope (neither are particularly compelling for Wilson), Matchbox (always good), Pitchfork and Hatchet (decent weapons). None are actually in Guardian which I think is smart since that spreads out the people able to take them. Instead, Guardian has gotten a fair number of Bless cards which is good since people always criticise Innsmouth for not giving the class enough support for Bless. I haven't really changed my mind on Wilson, he has a very bland ability and deck building.

Also, Kymani has so far gotten screwed again since none of these tool assets are useful for them. Even Hatchet sucks since it discards on their ability. Womp womp.

I think Kate looks fun, personally. I'm looking forward to seeing more support for the success manipulation archetype they seem to be introducing in this expansion (plus lab coat I guess). Chemistry Set plus Fine Tuning seems like a great way to get a bunch of free stuff while still investigating.

I'm super excited for Alessandra. The added Parley cards look strong and very versatile. Even with just what we have I can see other Rogues like Trish, Safina and Jenny wanting to run Parley decks too. It may be the case that Alessandra is so good there's no point running it as someone else though. Getting an extra action a turn is pretty much top tier as far as abilities go.

Kohaku on paper looks like a fun investigator. I like the support he's gotten so far, his statline looks good and I think he has a lot of potential to go full-bless, full-curse or half both. The problem with his ability is that it's pretty selfish though, so pairing him with another investigator also trying to stuff the bag may not be the best thing and it's quite an ask to put 4 tokens into the bag and keep them there until his next turn. But I think what kills him for me is that I play in person and having to keep track of which token there's more of in the bag at the start of every one of his turns is probably going to be really tedious. It's a shame, because the bless and curse cards so far seem pretty rad. He seems designed for Tabletop Simulator.

I can agree that Hank could use some more support if they want to make "move damage/horror" a thing, but it's probably not needed since he's going to be invincible with Sparrow Mask and Pete/Jessica anyway. I'm actually thinking of running him as an event-heavy deck. There are a lot of cool Spirit events.

The best card so far is Transmogrify, because turning The Thing That Follows into a big, fat, stupid, immobile blob is the perfect revenge for all those times it refused to gently caress off.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 19, 2024

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

For Kohaku just stack your bless/curse tokens next to each other, if one stack looks bigger then you put that one in.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
As far as the tedium of tracking with Kohaku goes, so long as you let the Kohaku player hold the bless/curse tokens, they shouldn’t have too much trouble knowing how many are in the bag.

Edit: beaten

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I’ve always just looked at the stack and used that to work out how many are currently in the bag.

That said the investigator box apparently is coming with a tracking dial you can spin up and down for both bless and curse tokens. Dunno if that’s easier to remember to fiddle with every time you add one or remove one though?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
There is a slight complication for sealed tokens though. At least it’s typically only the Guardian who is sealing blesses, but it does require a little bit of a census.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

We’re missing the Kate cards that let you change your success after. But it feels like we didn’t get many purple previews, and very few allies. It makes sense because you’re going to get story characters like Edge of the Earth. But I feel like Mystic hasn’t had a new thing in quite a while.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

According to the leaks, Mystic is getting a card that has five bonded cards associated with it plus an upgraded version of the base card, and it's also getting XP2 versions of the Spectral Razor cycle which returns the card to your hand if you pull a symbol token.

thebardyspoon posted:

They've even made a rogue gun you can put into play for free when you fail a parley.

Supposedly the only gun in the set. They finally made a green gun that uses agility:

quote:

card 65
british bull dog
rogue
level 0
asset
3 cost
fist feet icon
item. weapon. firearm. illicit.
uses (3 ammo)
action spend 1 ammo: fight. you may use feet instead of fist for this attack. this attack deals +1 damage.
reaction after you fail a skill test while parleying with an enemy: put this card into play from your hand.
hand slot

card 77
british bull dog
rogue
level 2
asset
3 cost
fist feet icon
item. weapon. firearm. illicit.
uses (3 ammo)
action spend 1 ammo: fight. you may use feet instead of fist for this attack and you get +2 skill value. this attack deals +1 damage. ignore the aloof keyword for this attack.
reaction after you fail a skill test while parleying with an enemy: put this card into play from your hand.
hand slot

Seems like the Katana doesn't have an upgraded form, as this is the only other Guardian weapon, an upgrade to one of the worst ones ever printed:

quote:

card 34
blessed blade
guardian
level 4
asset
3 cost
head fist icon
item. weapon. melee. blessed.
action: fight. you get +2 fist for this attack. If this attack is successful, it deals +1 damage. Return each bless token revealed during this attack to the chaos bag. Before revealing chaos token(s) for this attch, you may exhaust this card to add 2 bless tokens to the chaos bag.
hand slot

And here's the Kate card that lets you change your stats:

quote:

card 53
steady handed
seeker
level 1
asset
2 cost
head book icon
talent. science.
limit 1 per investigator
reaction, when you would succeed at a skill test, exhaust this card: you either succeed by 1 more or 1 less. if you succeeded by exactly 2, heal 1 horror.

It's weird that there are no photos or other info about the source of these leaks, but they do seem very legit.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Blessed blade 4 gets married to a +5 to hit. The hammer gets her to +7 and only costs one more XP.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Assuming that card is real, Blessed Blade 4 is an easy way to add bless tokens and not remove them during attacks. If you have favor of the sun and enchanted weapon on it Mary won't be having trouble fighting. Cyclopean Hammer is OP and unfun anyway.

Here are all the possible leaks:

https://imgur.com/a/SPvGczy
https://imgur.com/a/uY8sEaW
https://imgur.com/a/gDcfVbO
https://imgur.com/a/Af9hclJ
https://imgur.com/a/8M2M5j3
https://imgur.com/a/xn53UA8

Fake Credentials 4 looks crazy strong.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Blessed Blade (4) can also be slotted by Occult Reliquary, so it makes for a very strong backup weapon. Doubly so for the Flamethrower which is incompatible with the Bandolier.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How necessary is a fast fire axe?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's very unexciting but I've seen people suggest that being able to have a weapon you can play for cheap without taking an attack of opportunity for when you potentially discard/lose one of your other weapons in survivor is potentially useful? Like the pitchfork or hatchet in this set or the baseball bat for example?

It's definitely a bit of a "I have spent all the XP I need for my deck to properly work and now need to find stuff just to spend it on" card though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

It's very unexciting but I've seen people suggest that being able to have a weapon you can play for cheap without taking an attack of opportunity for when you potentially discard/lose one of your other weapons in survivor is potentially useful? Like the pitchfork or hatchet in this set or the baseball bat for example?

It's definitely a bit of a "I have spent all the XP I need for my deck to properly work and now need to find stuff just to spend it on" card though.

Survivor is the "I have spent all the XP I need for my deck to properly work and now need to find stuff just to spend it on" class, so it works out.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah totally so it sorta makes sense in that lens. Useful for a Dark Horse user too, you can play the axe and then swing 3 times in the turn you play it. There's a permanent dark horse for 5xp as well now, that got revealed by the leaker person today.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

That upgraded Fire Axe is pretty bad imo. Survivor can probably justify it, especially with Pelt Shipment, but what a waste of an upgrade. I'm sure there were more interesting ways they could improve it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Add Parley to it. "Let me axe you a question"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Someone was selling The Path to Carcosa Expansion (old style), all six mythos packs, and the Return to box for $80, so I went ahead and picked that up since it seems like the Return to box alone is going for $100+ on the secondary market.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Thats a great deal.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

City of Archives: Mixed feelings on this scenario. The gimmick is a fun surprise, and I like the structure overall, but it feels like it gives you a lot to track in a way rivaled only by Circle Undone (and probably Scarlet Keys.)

We lost by a hair on this one, due to a catastrophic encounter pull on the last turn and a critical fail chaos token trying to resolve it. We won’t accept a total campaign loss here, though, so we’ll be back at this scenario next week.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah totally so it sorta makes sense in that lens. Useful for a Dark Horse user too, you can play the axe and then swing 3 times in the turn you play it. There's a permanent dark horse for 5xp as well now, that got revealed by the leaker person today.

YES! I want nothing more for my favourite Ashcan pete.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

card 93
antediluvian hymn
mystic
level 0
event
2 cost
head book fist icon
augury. double.
as an additional cost to play this card, spend an action.
reveal the top 5 cards of the encounter deck. for each card revealed, you may add 1 curse token to the chaos bag to place that card on the bottom of the encounter deck. return the rest to the top of the encounter deck in any order

card 124
keep faith
survivor
level 2
event
0 cost
head head icon
fast. play during any free window.
add 4 bless tokens to the chaos bag

card 69
bank job
rogue
level 0
event
2 cost
book fist feet icon
gambit. double. illicit.
investigators at your location gain a total of 8 resources, distributed as you wish.

card 48
thorough inquiry
seeker
level 0
event
2 cost
book feet wild icon
insight. double.
investigators at your location draw a combined total of 5 cards (you decide how many cards each investigator draws).

Looks like we're getting a double cycle. Bank Job would have been perfect in my TSK Kymani deck, but I like it a lot generally because it's good at its base level and a lot of Rogue decks can pick up an extra action here and there even if their deck isn't focused on it. It's great with Fence too.

I like Keep Faith XP2 because I remember when I played Innsmouth it was one of the best Bless enablers in my two-handed run (Mary/Minh) and I often wanted to recur it, so the cost saving would be useful. With so much new Bless tech though I wonder if it might have lost some of its shine.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Bank job is great if you want to give the party money but don’t have curse tokens. It was weird that Faustian was a must take for every single rogue.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

card 27
task force
guardian
level 0
event
2 cost
book fist feet icon
tactic. double.
one at a time, in any order choose an investigator at your location to...
-resolve an action ability on an asset they control without paying its action cost.
-move to a connecting location.
-discover 1 clue at their location.

card 52
Gabriel Carillo
seeker
level 1
asset
4 cost
book icon
ally. scholar. cursed.
you get +1 book.
reaction, at the start of your turn, add 1 curse token to the chaos bag: draw 1 card.
2 health
1 sanity
ally slot

The Guardian double looks really good. Each action is easy to make use of, and if there aren't any monsters to fight you can channel your inner butler and give your teammates three extra actions.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
"Hey Roland"
"Yes other Roland?"
"Would you like to walk to that location and triple sledgehammer bash that enemy?"
"Why yes other Roland, I think I would"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Bank Job is really good for Bob. If he gets that turn 1 everyone's going to be geared up from the start.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Ubik_Lives posted:

"Hey Roland"
"Yes other Roland?"
"Would you like to walk to that location and triple sledgehammer bash that enemy?"
"Why yes other Roland, I think I would"

Unfortunately, they’ve explicitly said that replace action cost means… A single arrow.

Still, task force feels like something you would include two copies of in every solo guardian. Even better with safeguard.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Task Force seems like a card you only use to support your Cluever. Playing it while engaged would trigger an attack of opportunity, correct?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Or you use it on yourself to move, then fight with the enemy you've moved onto and then get a clue.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What are the thread's thought on The Forgotten Age? I've heard that the explore mechanic is improved by the Return To box and I was wondering if my wife and I should play the base version first, then revisit with the Return To box, or if we should just use the Return To box for the first playthrough.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I played it with the base mechanics expecting it to be the campaign I enjoyed least just based on the theme/general stuff I'd heard and ended up quite enjoying it, I haven't played it with the return to yet.

I've heard from people that it's generally better to just play with the basic rules initially because which set of rules are better is quite subjective ultimately. Some people say it's a straight improvement, others say it's a lateral move, others just say it's different but not strictly better, just shifts how/when it affects the difficulty in the scenario.

It can be tough, the first two scenarios are kinda designed to hit you hard and make it feel like you're in a hole a little bit but it gives you a lot of leeway to catch back up in the scenarios after that, or at least it felt that way to us.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

What are the thread's thought on The Forgotten Age? I've heard that the explore mechanic is improved by the Return To box and I was wondering if my wife and I should play the base version first, then revisit with the Return To box, or if we should just use the Return To box for the first playthrough.

We are doing a first playthrough of Forgotten Age presently and we are using the Return To set. If you have it, I recommend it. The changes seem to have rebalanced some of the scenarios in favor of the players, which I am grateful for as I feel the challenge level is pretty good where it’s at.

If you don’t already have the Return To box, however, it’s worth mentioning that you can get the biggest improvement without actually buying it or playing the Return To scenarios. You just need to use the revised explore mechanic. Where the base campaign has you seed a certain number of encounter cards into the explore deck when creating the scenario, instead you will start the scenario with zero encounters in the explore deck. Then, each time you successfully explore, shuffle one encounter into the deck.

The campaign also does have at least one scenario that ends with “everyone dies, campaign over” if you lose, which I don’t love as a design choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you don’t already have the Return To box, however, it’s worth mentioning that you can get the biggest improvement without actually buying it or playing the Return To scenarios. You just need to use the revised explore mechanic. Where the base campaign has you seed a certain number of encounter cards into the explore deck when creating the scenario, instead you will start the scenario with zero encounters in the explore deck. Then, each time you successfully explore, shuffle one encounter into the deck.
Basically this

We just finished TFA and I wouldn't play without this rule once we learned about it half way through. Made the pacing much better for pretty much ever scenario.

As for the actual campaign, I thought it was decent. Probably a little better than Dunwich but not as good as Carcossa (we are playing in order).
I think it had some cool game mechanics, but the story was the most disjointed out all the campaigns I just listed. It felt like it jumped around a lot and it was a little confusing at times, especially nearer the end. But the actual play was fun.