Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I had always hoped Left4Dead style director ratcheting difficulty up or down to appropriately build tension or challenge according to the vibe and strength of the players to relative spots in the missions. Especially games that already only balance between difficulties by fudging numbers around, already have a rudimentary way to start changing in response to the players performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

People unironcally playing on Nightmare shows that the setting has been watered down. Didn't Doom'16 also have 'ultra-nightmare' or some such poo poo? Nightmare is supposed to be a joke difficulty level, put in as a snub to those back in 1994 who complained that the previous highest was too easy. Which to be fair it was, but that's ok since it was a birth of a new genre and associated player skills. I think it took like two decades before some nerd actually won on it.

So yea, it's a tradition that's been lost. It's the ultimate middle finger to guys asking for a harder game, and shoulda been kept as such.

According to Romero originally nightmare was intended to just be a harder mode, but then they decided gently caress it make it bullshit and they did.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Serephina posted:

People unironcally playing on Nightmare shows that the setting has been watered down. Didn't Doom'16 also have 'ultra-nightmare' or some such poo poo? Nightmare is supposed to be a joke difficulty level, put in as a snub to those back in 1994 who complained that the previous highest was too easy. Which to be fair it was, but that's ok since it was a birth of a new genre and associated player skills. I think it took like two decades before some nerd actually won on it.

So yea, it's a tradition that's been lost. It's the ultimate middle finger to guys asking for a harder game, and shoulda been kept as such.

Ultra Nightmare is just perma death but otherwise the same as nightmare, so you have to start the entire game over if you die, in the original dooms nightmare is the enemies infinitely respawn but is otherwise the same as ultra violence

Mordor She Wrote fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 22, 2024

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Khanstant posted:

I had always hoped Left4Dead style director ratcheting difficulty up or down to appropriately build tension or challenge according to the vibe and strength of the players to relative spots in the missions. Especially games that already only balance between difficulties by fudging numbers around, already have a rudimentary way to start changing in response to the players performance.

The new resident evils kinda do this but if you play on each game’s equivalent of professional the values are always set at their highest level iirc

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
In the original doom 2 most cheats were disabled in nightmare.

I know this cause I was a little bitch and never played any games without cheats until I was like 12

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Also, Nightmare having respawning enemies didn't feel like it broke the game, it felt in-universe. It felt like Nightmare was secretly the actual experience our Space Marine is having.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

credburn posted:

Also, Nightmare having respawning enemies didn't feel like it broke the game, it felt in-universe. It felt like Nightmare was secretly the actual experience our Space Marine is having.

excuse me it isn't the canon difficulty because the demons didn't revive until The Mother Demon resurrected the demons on the Phobos base in Doom 64.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Ultra Nightmare is just perma death but otherwise the same as nightmare, so you have to start the entire game over if you die, in the original dooms nightmare is the enemies infinitely respawn but is otherwise the same as ultra violence

nope.

- ammo gave you double pickups
- monsters projectiles are faster
- monsters dont have a delay to attack you when they first see you
- monsters dont flinch as often
- monsters attack you more often

this is just off the top of my head, besides the respawning and disabled cheats. i dont remember if they disabled infighting too

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Outpost22 posted:

The only good difficulty settings I can think of are for the Thief games.

I appreciate that more story-driven games are putting in a "story mode" where combat is extremely easy or even nonexistent, for folks who just want an interactive story. It's not for me (or for most), but I like that developers are tryin to cater to those audiences.

As for "good" difficulty settings, the latest Hitman trilogy did a good job of making mostly mechanical changes to the games rather than just changing damage/health numbers.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The best difficulty is whatever mood I'm in at the time. If I want a challenge and intensity then the only good difficulty is hard or harder, and if I'm just vibing all mellow like then anything above easy is for sweatlords. Whatever other difficulty options there are shouldn't exist besides those imo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Games should only have one difficulty but options to trivialize it, like an infinite money option or a dodge button

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

every game should have a chicken hat

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In Persona 4 Golden and Bravely Default you could adjust rewards and I loved that. Like, if I just need money in P4G or Job Points in BD, let me turn down or even turn off EXP gains. This way I don't overlevel. I don't wanna make the game too easy, I just needed one little thing. It's so simple and obvious.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I haven't played cuphead so I can't speak for it, but playing any Doom on anything below Ultra Violence should be illegal imqho

Well if you're gonna turn cheats on no wonder it's too easy.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Doom cheats were sick level 32 in doom 2 was my jam

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Haven't been able to consistently play Dark Souls 2 since Christmas, just poking my head into places when I have a little time. I definitely don't hate it, but I don't feel comfortable with it either. None of the weapons feel very good so far. Unlike DS and Elden Ring, where I eventually knew going into most fights that I'd be fine, I feel like something as simple as a zombie with a dagger can be the end of me.

I see what people mean when they say the world feels disjointed and disconnected, although I find the individual level architecture to be pretty cool so far. Some areas are batshit with the enemies though. Heide's Tower feels like it could break most people. I don't understand how they expect people to fight through (if I'm remembering the count right) five hulks with giant weapons, three absolute bitch face knight dudes, and then the motherfucker of all motherfuckers, a bitch face knight with a spear (probably the most frustrating enemy I've encountered in any Fromsoft game, and maybe one of the most frustrating I've ever seen in any game), and THEN take on a drake that I couldn't even figure out how to get close to and ended up cheesing with a bow. Except of course, to do it so many times that all of them stop respawning, which is what I did.

I don't hate the idea of adaptability but I hate that they don't do anything to stress how important it is.

I guess I'm complaining a lot here but I am having fun. Just struggling to find my footing.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Sounds like you're having the traditional Dark Souls 2™ experience. I was just burned out completely by the end of the DLCs.

Also my phone recommended me this article and I feel like it belongs here:
"Elden Ring Creator Hidetaka Miyazaki Is Seemingly Embarrassed by His Own Games, Refuses to Let Family Play Them"
https://fandomwire.com/elden-ring-creator-miyazaki-seemingly-embarrassed/

Looks like the haters were right Dark Soulsailures. Guess Duck and Cover was right after all.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Nice Van My Man posted:

Sounds like you're having the traditional Dark Souls 2™ experience. I was just burned out completely by the end of the DLCs.

Also my phone recommended me this article and I feel like it belongs here:
"Elden Ring Creator Hidetaka Miyazaki Is Seemingly Embarrassed by His Own Games, Refuses to Let Family Play Them"
https://fandomwire.com/elden-ring-creator-miyazaki-seemingly-embarrassed/

Looks like the haters were right Dark Soulsailures. Guess Duck and Cover was right after all.

"Dad, why don't women's shoes exist in Lordran, Drangleic, Lothric, Yharnam and the Lands Between? Is it a lore thing?"

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

"Dad, why don't women's shoes exist in Lordran, Drangleic, Lothric, Yharnam and the Lands Between? Is it a lore thing?"

Yeah, it's this.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

does he have a foot fetish? I guess Priscilla's barefoot, and some of the caster armor sets don't have shoes. But I never thought it was particularly blatant.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He has a giantess fetish

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

does he have a foot fetish? I guess Priscilla's barefoot, and some of the caster armor sets don't have shoes. But I never thought it was particularly blatant.

I remember seeing some interview where someone on his team told him that he should stop focusing so much on women’s feet or people were gonna think he had a thing going on, and that’s why Melania wears boots or something iirc

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gaius Marius posted:

He has a giantess fetish

The Venn diagram between that and foot things is like a circle, though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Haven't been able to consistently play Dark Souls 2 since Christmas, just poking my head into places when I have a little time. I definitely don't hate it, but I don't feel comfortable with it either. None of the weapons feel very good so far. Unlike DS and Elden Ring, where I eventually knew going into most fights that I'd be fine, I feel like something as simple as a zombie with a dagger can be the end of me.

I see what people mean when they say the world feels disjointed and disconnected, although I find the individual level architecture to be pretty cool so far. Some areas are batshit with the enemies though. Heide's Tower feels like it could break most people. I don't understand how they expect people to fight through (if I'm remembering the count right) five hulks with giant weapons, three absolute bitch face knight dudes, and then the motherfucker of all motherfuckers, a bitch face knight with a spear (probably the most frustrating enemy I've encountered in any Fromsoft game, and maybe one of the most frustrating I've ever seen in any game), and THEN take on a drake that I couldn't even figure out how to get close to and ended up cheesing with a bow. Except of course, to do it so many times that all of them stop respawning, which is what I did.

I don't hate the idea of adaptability but I hate that they don't do anything to stress how important it is.

I guess I'm complaining a lot here but I am having fun. Just struggling to find my footing.

Heide’s Tower is THE reason people don’t like the SotFS edition. And why it’s accused of being a amateurish romhack of the original that wanted to be the next Kaizo Mario bros. Since Heide’s is usually supposed to be the second area in the game you go, they basically packed it with everything you just called out as bullshit in order to make people go “This isn’t your Daddy’s Dark Souls 2!” The dragon especially is there as a “gotcha” for people who played the original DS2 and weren’t expecting a giant dragon waiting there to bbq them. NeoHeide’s makes no sense design wise if you’re playing the game for the first time, yet it’s the only version they sell anymore.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I remember seeing some interview where someone on his team told him that he should stop focusing so much on women’s feet or people were gonna think he had a thing going on, and that’s why Melania wears boots or something iirc

malenia's weird creepy toe shoes are tarantino level perversion though

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

galagazombie posted:

Heide’s Tower is THE reason people don’t like the SotFS edition. And why it’s accused of being a amateurish romhack of the original that wanted to be the next Kaizo Mario bros. Since Heide’s is usually supposed to be the second area in the game you go, they basically packed it with everything you just called out as bullshit in order to make people go “This isn’t your Daddy’s Dark Souls 2!” The dragon especially is there as a “gotcha” for people who played the original DS2 and weren’t expecting a giant dragon waiting there to bbq them. NeoHeide’s makes no sense design wise if you’re playing the game for the first time, yet it’s the only version they sell anymore.

Actually, could someone go through the changes that Sins of the scholar did? Or have a link to an article or something? I powered my way through Heidie's while refusing to use the despawn mechanic (hideous thing), my personal hurdle was much earlier in the game near the platform where the pursuer visits. Just those soldiers with their charge attack and subsequent combos, oof. Never even realized how rough the giant knights in Heide's where until it just now, yea they took forever but everything afterwards progressed more normally.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

Actually, could someone go through the changes that Sins of the scholar did? Or have a link to an article or something? I powered my way through Heidie's while refusing to use the despawn mechanic (hideous thing), my personal hurdle was much earlier in the game near the platform where the pursuer visits. Just those soldiers with their charge attack and subsequent combos, oof. Never even realized how rough the giant knights in Heide's where until it just now, yea they took forever but everything afterwards progressed more normally.

The changes are basically "more pursuers, more invasions, more enemies in general" alongside chest reward changes notably the anti-petrification branches which changes some routing.
Heide's imo isnt the worst of it, its Iron Keep where they just slathered the area with more foes, especially in the lava/ironworks outdoor area.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I didn't even notice any of the women's feet across any of the games so I think some posters are just telling on themselves

More Persuers was a welcome change, I loved that unironically cause Persuer rules. I think in the original it was basically 1 encounter in the level on a big platform + the boss encounter

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite thing about DS2 which none of the games really followed up on was changes to New Game+ like the spider surprise or additional boss monster ads

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I beat DS2 when it came out and it was like an 8/10 to me. I ragequit playing SotFS at the lava area in the gauntlet before the pvp rooftop area because it was just total enemy spam bullshit.

Souls games have a lot of these, but usually you can get by through good navigational skills plus proper roll timing or getting good at dispatching mobs quickly. In this particular area those enemies take so much time to kill individually that it's not even fun. On top of that the fatal flaw is that you take damage while opening doors, something that doesn't happen in any other Souls game.

The result is that you're completely roadblocked into killing about 15 enemies with stupidly high health and armor and aren't fun to fight until you get through or despawn them while also dealing with a bunch of traps that will instantly kill you.

It just wasn't fun and I knew it would get worse at all the already difficult areas later on so I just stopped playing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh yeah the DLC for DS2 has that part in the frozen DLC thats basically the worst thing a souls game has ever churned out

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I always ended up killing all the knights one by one to extinction in the Iron Keep due to dying so much

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's so weird, the anime-run-animation katana knights where plentiful but I never felt they could be a showstopper to anyone.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The issue is the bow ones

edit: and my lack of parrying skills

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 24, 2024

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Barudak posted:

The changes are basically "more pursuers, more invasions, more enemies in general" alongside chest reward changes notably the anti-petrification branches which changes some routing.
Heide's imo isnt the worst of it, its Iron Keep where they just slathered the area with more foes, especially in the lava/ironworks outdoor area.

The first half of Iron Keep is definitely close to if not the worst changed area in the game, just a pure chore. It’s just that Heide’s is right there at the start when your stats are still low so the bullshit sticks out even more to people. And so it becomes the ur “bullshit SotFS changes” area. Hell some people threw up their hands at NeoHeide right there and so don’t even see the NeoIron Keep.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I feel like I'm 15% through what skyrim has to offer and that's lots

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't even notice any of the women's feet across any of the games so I think some posters are just telling on themselves

More Persuers was a welcome change, I loved that unironically cause Persuer rules. I think in the original it was basically 1 encounter in the level on a big platform + the boss encounter

Too busy staring at the tits, yeah, boss?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:heysexy:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I feel like I'm 15% through what skyrim has to offer and that's lots

sounds like you aren't even done with the intro cutscene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Serephina posted:

That's so weird, the anime-run-animation katana knights where plentiful but I never felt they could be a showstopper to anyone.

Yeah but the player will already be on tilt for having just climbed up into a lava pit. At that point seeing an anime run will be enough to do anyone in.