Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

site posted:

Oh wow I hadn't heard about this but it's neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKO_VJTL5U&t=122s

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:siren:robocop: rogue city got patched:siren:

quote:

Changelog:
Added a New Game Plus mode
Added a new difficulty: "There Will be Trouble"
Added a new unlockable Golden Auto-9 skin, available once NG+ is available
Added more Auto-9 Chips and Boards
Fixed the shooting mode not properly resetting when exiting interiors
Fixed RoboCop's right hand disappearing when grabbing a human enemy while unaliving them
Fixed the Stolen Vehicle investigation being skipped if Ben immediately opened the locker

edit: also it's 30% off on steam rn

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 22, 2024

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
We're using algorithm-approved babyspeak in patch notes for M-rated shooters now?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a reference to the movie. I think.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Dead or unalive--you're coming with me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

unalive or alive !!! idiot!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I cast turn ununalive

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

numanumalive

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Narcissus1916 posted:

but how do people feel about Max Payne 3? A decade later and I'm still not sure how to feel about it. I love the big tonal swings it takes but the shooting never really "clicked" for me like it did in the originals.

Honestly, for me Max Payne 3 is that one game I wish every other game ripped off but that didn't happen. I feel like we were robbed by not having a huge revival of bullet time mechanics in its wake, maybe its just too hard to integrate that into games that at the time were much more fixated on 'realism' and multiplayer?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

site posted:

Oh wow I hadn't heard about this but it's neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKO_VJTL5U&t=122s

Pffft, I can die on a floor designed to kill too, what's so good about this

(loving insane)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

but how do people feel about Max Payne 3? A decade later and I'm still not sure how to feel about it. I love the big tonal swings it takes but the shooting never really "clicked" for me like it did in the originals.

Its better than MP1 and 2 by a significant amount. The only flaw is its unskippable cutscenes so thank god for PC gaming.

I had a 30 minute ramble last week about how good it was. Its fantastic.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's a fantastic game with amazing feeling shooting but lacking in the Max Payne-yness that the first two games had. I like to call it the best Die Hard game ever, but a mediocre Max Payne game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's the "Man on Fire" game that nobody asked for, but the shooting was great and I liked the acting and story

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

Dreadful. I went back to it last year and was turned off by how there were seemingly zero organic transitions between rooms without a cutscene. Even with a mod to remove the cutscenes, it makes the experience disjointed as hell.

MP1 and 2 hold up extremely well on the other hand.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was surprised at how much I found Max Payne 1 to NOT hold up. Just a ton of cheap one-shot kills around every corner. Found myself save scumming wayyyy more than I remember. May just be rusty, to be fair

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was surprised at how much I found Max Payne 1 to NOT hold up. Just a ton of cheap one-shot kills around every corner. Found myself save scumming wayyyy more than I remember. May just be rusty, to be fair

A known issue with its adaptive difficulty is if you manually reload the game it does not know you died, so it never gets easier.

Or maybe it generally was a problem with the game not registering deaths, I'd just grab a patch if I'd ever revisit MP1.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 23, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There is a lot of out of bounds so it may not be for everyone, but I thought this trepang2 run at gdq was pretty fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJzlMCbPdM

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Trepang, F.E.A.R. Platinum (Base game plus Extraction point and Perseus Mandate) is currently $1.49 USD on GoG until January 27.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
idk I just replayed MP1 last year after not touching it for about 18 years and was awestruck at how it was mechanically and narratively. It's very, VERY challenging but I had an absolute blast the entire ride.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Speaking of Max Payne, I really enjoyed these Digital Foundry videos comparing the PC and PS2 versions, with the PC version running on a machine with specs of that time
It's not their usual "deep dive" style of video, more of a quick look but of course they do point out a lot of technical details.
The first one is from half a year ago and the second one from just a few days ago.
Quite impressive how much improved the port is for the second game, hell, having that game run decently at all on a PS2 is impressive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJawkVX--I4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZJIp9KjZIQ

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only part of Max Payne 3 I remember is the airport, but that part's really good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh hey, Graven's out. I did like the demo quite a lot, possibly more than most, curious to see if they stuck the landing. Especially with...everything going on at 3DR.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Crowetron posted:

The only part of Max Payne 3 I remember is the airport, but that part's really good.

I'll always remember Max's line "What am I, the button pusher?" because I played on console and kept dying at that part and it was an unskippable cutscene/loading screen that I had to watch over and over again

Mordja posted:

Oh hey, Graven's out. I did like the demo quite a lot, possibly more than most, curious to see if they stuck the landing. Especially with...everything going on at 3DR.

It's currently sitting at mixed reviews on steam, ouch

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

HolyKrap posted:

It's currently sitting at mixed reviews on steam, ouch

Well, a grand total of 2 reviews for the released version, one relatively thoughtful positive one and one "3d realms bad" negative one. I don't have super high hopes but we'll see.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Getting back into Quake, trying to play Dwell. I installed Ironwail for this, it seems to have some kind of automatic autosave feature based on time passed, is there a way to disable this? It doesn't feel very Quake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://x.com/mrpinkdev/status/1749830435385819413?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Angryhead posted:

Speaking of Max Payne, I really enjoyed these Digital Foundry videos comparing the PC and PS2 versions, with the PC version running on a machine with specs of that time
It's not their usual "deep dive" style of video, more of a quick look but of course they do point out a lot of technical details.
The first one is from half a year ago and the second one from just a few days ago.
Quite impressive how much improved the port is for the second game, hell, having that game run decently at all on a PS2 is impressive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJawkVX--I4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZJIp9KjZIQ

A shame they didn’t look at the OG XBOX port of 2, it’s really good

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

A known issue with its adaptive difficulty is if you manually reload the game it does not know you died, so it never gets easier.

Or maybe it generally was a problem with the game not registering deaths, I'd just grab a patch if I'd ever revisit MP1.
Even after finding that out I still had issues. I had to do the part in the basement where you lose all your weapons more times than I could count before I got through it by chance. Now I’m at the docks and still working on it whenever I remember I still have it installed.

The second game is a lot more forgiving and polished.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Getting back into Quake, trying to play Dwell. I installed Ironwail for this, it seems to have some kind of automatic autosave feature based on time passed, is there a way to disable this? It doesn't feel very Quake.
This is an ironwail feature. sv_autosave 0 or change sv_autosave_interval to something much higher.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

koren posted:

This is an ironwail feature. sv_autosave 0 or change sv_autosave_interval to something much higher.

I don't know if this is something that applies to Dwell but in other map packs like Alkaline and Arcane Dimensions they sometimes have an autosave feature if the player undertook specific actions or reached certain areas, which I found more organic since it was something the mapper themselves decided. If I turn off autosaving in Ironwail, will that turn off those kinds of saves as well?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The dream level is still one of the most frustrating game experiences I've ever had and rivaled only by that basement fight. But I do think the pros outshone the cons

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

going back to max payne 1 and 2 on consoles was bizarre because they are hard as gently caress, i breezed through them on pc. must be getting old... :corsair:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I tried remapping my controller for mp 1 & 2 when I played them a couple weeks ago and it was awful. I can't imagine it played much better on the official console versions

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Volte posted:

Technically speaking it's the only true UV-Max of E1M8 ever but if it were accepted as such it would destroy the category as it's basically impossible to do and not particularly interesting competitively. It's not a controversy, just an insanely impressive achievement that is generally accepted as being outside of the parameters of UV-Max for E1M8.

hmm sounds like people are mad at seeing what real skill looks like

new standard set, throw out all records

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
People who use controllers but weaken their own mind, body, and spirit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My body is already weak from hunching over a desk for 25 years I'm a couch girl now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

My body is already weak from hunching over a desk for 25 years I'm a couch girl now

no way, aint no way im sitting at a desk after work!!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Couch is for slugs

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Couch is for slugs

mate clean your house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sit at a desk so you can pretend you're doing something more productive