Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Mahomes is due for a meltdown playoff game. It happens to all the greats.

I do think the Chiefs having run up against two brutally injured defenses they could just roll over has their offense a fair bit overrated right now, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It feels silly to say the Chiefs lucked out by drawing the Dolphins and Bills, but with how depleted those defenses were it may be true.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Coldforge posted:

Nope, the Ravens will be rightly favored by 14 points, should easily win the game, and everyone in the media will say so for two straight weeks.

See thats why I wish that stupid game didnt happen. Cause that was the position the Ravens were in going into that game and it played into our favor. If that game didnt happen it might at least be even. Thats why ill feel a slight bit of relief if the Chiefs beat the Ravens and the 49ers win but I still want us to win even if the SB loss is going to happen cause Lamar deserves a chance at it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It feels silly to say the Chiefs lucked out by drawing the Dolphins and Bills, but with how depleted those defenses were it may be true.

Yeah if the Chiefs go in to Baltimore and win there then I think you have to re-assess. But also the Chiefs have had the elements of a great team all season and simply can not stop shooting themselves in the foot with dropped passes, turnovers, penalties and inexplicable miscommunication. I don't even feel like those problems are worked out yet but if hey manage to not do those things they can beat anyone because they have a great line and a great defense to go with the coach and QB.

But like, Baltimore has all those things too.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

turns out not having real linebackers or edge rushers makes it hard to beat mahomes

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
All 4 of the remaining teams are a bit scary, no frauds left

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

corn on the cop posted:

this already happened against cincinnati two years ago

He didn't even throw a pick.

I'm talking a real meltdown: 3 INTs, 150 yards, 10 points scored game.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Mahomes is due for a meltdown playoff game. It happens to all the greats.

2nd half of the Bengals playoff game

Edit: nm

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mahomes has had meltdowns but they only last a quarter

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The Tampa Super Bowl was a giant meltdown but it was all throughout the team. Just met an absolutely stacked roster led by the greatest and got shredded

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If the Ravens do blow out the Chiefs and make Mahomes look normal, it's going to be a sad two week leadup to the Superbowl with everyone presuming an execution.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Pron on VHS posted:

The Tampa Super Bowl was a giant meltdown but it was all throughout the team. Just met an absolutely stacked roster led by the greatest and got shredded
Nah, Mahomes played an incredible loving game. He was just under pressure approximately 200% of the time and nobody else on offense did anything.

Will never forget that sick side-arm pass he threw while falling that went through Kelce’s hands and clanked off his face mask. A real HOFer makes that catch.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Nah, Mahomes played an incredible loving game. He was just under pressure approximately 200% of the time and nobody else on offense did anything.

Will never forget that sick side-arm pass he threw while falling that went through Kelce’s hands and clanked off his face mask. A real HOFer makes that catch.

That wasn't Kelce. It was one of the WRs.

E: Actually, it looks like it might have been a RB. McKinnon maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2yzw8DvDOs

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 23, 2024

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Pron on VHS posted:

it irritates me that mahomes will forever be 0-2 against brady in the playoffs unless for some ungodly reason tommy wants to be an nfl coach

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Coaaab posted:

it irritates me that mahomes will forever be 0-2 against brady in the playoffs unless for some ungodly reason tommy wants to be an nfl coach

that's-a-shame-seinfeld.gif

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Coaaab posted:

Eh whatever. Every QB has their kryptonite. Brady will be Mahomes’ Eli Manning. At least a perfect season wasn’t snatched away.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That wasn't Kelce. It was one of the WRs.

E: Actually, it looks like it might have been a RB. McKinnon maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2yzw8DvDOs

you linked the wrong pass, which was to Pringle. I understand, because it happened multiple times. But the iconic throw that hit the facemask was to Darrell Williams and he is no longer with the team because gently caress you, Darrell Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBP6jDOkWY

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://x.com/SharpFootball/status/1749845439862513960?s=20

It begins

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Pron on VHS posted:

Eh whatever. Every QB has their kryptonite. Brady will be Mahomes’ Eli Manning. At least a perfect season wasn’t snatched away.
maybe i'm overreacting now, but i'm sure my annoyance will flare up years from now when mahomes retires as the best qb of his generation

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I think KC has the edge because Baltimore is weak against the run and KC has become a really strong power running team.

But I also don't know how much of that is me overreacting to Ravens posters. I really like the Baltimore LB room so it's strange they've been soft against the run

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Forrest on Fire posted:

I think KC has the edge because Baltimore is weak against the run and KC has become a really strong power running team.

But I also don't know how much of that is me overreacting to Ravens posters. I really like the Baltimore LB room so it's strange they've been soft against the run

We're not really weak against the run just middling(14th in yards allowed this yr). And were great against Houston against a crap rush game though. Not really sure why it's dropped off though. But I know Roquan Smith hasn't been getting high grades for PFF whatever that's worth.

Kind of excited to see what Trenton Simpson+Roquan can do together next year. He had a pretty good game against Pittsburgh.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 23, 2024

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

kiimo posted:

you linked the wrong pass, which was to Pringle. I understand, because it happened multiple times. But the iconic throw that hit the facemask was to Darrell Williams and he is no longer with the team because gently caress you, Darrell Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBP6jDOkWY

It's wasn't the wrong pass. It was two passes. The Pringle then the Williams. First video I found. Though I definitely think that Pringle pass isn't a WR error. It would have taken a Santonio Holmes type play to catch that ball in bounds.

The Williams pass hit him right in the head.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chiefs/Ravens will be decided on whoever goes super saiyen QB between Lamar and Mahomes. If they both do then go flip a coin.

Niners/Lions will be decided on complete madness and I'm all here for it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Forrest on Fire posted:

Stopping the run is a choice and they play a lot of nickel. The benefit is that they’re the #1 pass defense in the league and it’s still not like they’re horrible against the run

(This is not to suggest I’m not afraid of Pacheco)

drat. Better win by 20 I guess

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 23, 2024

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Pacheco runs very, very hard, but the Ravens' defense hits hard, too. I'm not very worried about the Ravens' run defense overall. The stats only tell a partial story there. Baltimore has been excellent in the Red Zone in run defense and every other kind of defense. Combine that with having the best defense in the league against explosive plays, and I'm pretty content.

The Chief's best chance is Mahomes doing Mahomes like poo poo escaping the pocket, and making big plays downfield. This is very possible because despite the Ravens strong pass rush and secondary, the opposing QB is Patrick Mahomes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kalli posted:

If the Ravens do blow out the Chiefs and make Mahomes look normal, it's going to be a sad two week leadup to the Superbowl with everyone presuming an execution.

If it's not raining, the 49ers can go toe to toe with Baltimore.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Honestly if the Ravens defense plays like it did against Houston nobody will beat us. Stroud did about as good of a job as I've ever seen avoiding a constant pass rush. If you had told me going in that the Ravens would record zero sacks and zero turnovers I would have assumed Stroud had a huge day and we probably lost.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Harlock posted:

If it's not raining, the 49ers can go toe to toe with Baltimore.

It'll really come down to which QB is more Christian, to resist the lures of Vegas

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Ravens got swept by the 2023 Steelers the Chiefs will handle them easily

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BrownThunder posted:

The chiefs are lucky to dodge the Steelers imo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:tinfoil:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair most teams don't know how to handle a quarterback like Mason Rudolph.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mega64 posted:

To be fair most teams don't know how to handle a quarterback like Mason Rudolph.

With one of those little bags you pick up dog poop in.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BrownThunder posted:

However, the niners completely dismantled the entire city of Pittsburgh.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lions-Chiefs bookending the season is too good for the writers to pass up, sorry Ravens and Niners buds.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mega64 posted:

Myles Garrett seemed to figure it out.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

C-Euro posted:

Lions-Chiefs bookending the season is too good for the writers to pass up, sorry Ravens and Niners buds.

The writers seem to be ignoring week 1 call backs this year. The veteran Ravens beat up on the upstart Texans week 1 in Baltimore. The divisional round had those same Texans, strengthened over CJ Stroud's hero's journey rookie year, returning to Baltimore to avenge their inaugural defeat. They still got pasted.

If anybody has the narrative juice it's the blue collar cast off Lions beating two supposed elite juggernauts in SF and KC/BAL in route to their first ever Championship. Now that's a sports doc in the making.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

cmon guys it's like you aren't even reading the right clues because the NFL logo already has Ravens / 9ers colors plus that graphic that accidentally made it out of the writer's room that also said Ravens / 9ers.

Clearly the NFL wants two coastal elite teams and the blue collar Chiefs / Lions with their small cities never stood a chance. The NFL has a pooping in SF problem and that image needs to be cleaned up and Baltimore might as well be the DC swamp that needs to be drained so classic misdirection look over here not over here.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kawalimus posted:

Honestly if the Ravens defense plays like it did against Houston nobody will beat us. Stroud did about as good of a job as I've ever seen avoiding a constant pass rush. If you had told me going in that the Ravens would record zero sacks and zero turnovers I would have assumed Stroud had a huge day and we probably lost.

One thing I noticed during the game was that the pressure seemed to allow Stroud to occasionally break out for a big gain but it was constant enough that eventually the Texans made enough mistakes to force a punt. It seemed like every drive would wind up with a 3rd and long from the Texans 40 that they’d convert, only for them to get stymied as the field got shorter. On the one hand, the pass catching unit from the Texans seems better than the Chiefs, but Mahomes is much more likely to punish the Ravens if they let him get away from pressure. Should be a fun battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

kiimo posted:

cmon guys it's like you aren't even reading the right clues because the NFL logo already has Ravens / 9ers colors plus that graphic that accidentally made it out of the writer's room that also said Ravens / 9ers.

Clearly the NFL wants two coastal elite teams and the blue collar Chiefs / Lions with their small cities never stood a chance. The NFL has a pooping in SF problem and that image needs to be cleaned up and Baltimore might as well be the DC swamp that needs to be drained so classic misdirection look over here not over here.

I think you’ll find that the pooping happens in Baltimore, actually.