Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Black and White was really fun. That drum beat was terrific, I still have it stuck in my head. One of my favorite moments was when a villager was talking about how he had to offer his son as a sacrifice for some reason. So I picked him up and dropped him in the cauldron, instead. gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

SimCity owned, SimAnt owned, SimTower was decent so time to fire up SimIsle & undergo missions to protect the rainforest.

For it, it was SimLife.

I played SimCity and loved it, so why not SimLife? I'm not sure if it was me or oy older brother who got our parents to buy it, but I was def. the one that played it a lot more.

I mean...look at that dope cover art:

A loving Tiger-Rhino? A Kanga-Toucan-Dinosaur? Oh, Hells yeah, this game will rock. Let's take a look at the game itself:

Oh...

The first screen is the main "gameplay" area, you just watch little plant and animal icons live/die/spread/evolve.

The second is the animal editor to make things.

But I still played the poo poo out of it, even though by all accounts SimEarth was the superior "version" of the Maxis "Simulate a world/life" genre.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Was SimEarth the one that came with a >200 pages spiral-bound manual?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Narzack posted:

Black and White was really fun. That drum beat was terrific, I still have it stuck in my head. One of my favorite moments was when a villager was talking about how he had to offer his son as a sacrifice for some reason. So I picked him up and dropped him in the cauldron, instead. gently caress that guy.

The different game mechanics actively fought each other, but I think there's room for a decent sequel. They just have to, like, think stuff through. If the enemy can send soldiers to attack my town, defending the town by force shouldn't be treated as evil. :monocle:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Presto posted:

I remember the villagers going "We need offspring", and I'm like, buddy do you really need my help with that?

iirc you needed to literally drop villagers on top of each other so they'd start loving. I think you could also drop them from too high and it would kill both of them. Incredible that people could say this game is bad.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I unashamedly loved the hell out of Star Wars: Yoda Stories.

It was never challenging, it was never complicated, the puzzles were puzzles in name only. It was just fetch quests. Get X to Y. To get X, you have to get A to B, he will give you M. Take M to N to get X.

It was repetitive, the graphics were simultaneously charming and lovely. It was just a trance-like relaxing game for me.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

emSparkly posted:

Sonic R is a game that’s notorious for being bad, but I completed it 100% and I legitimately like it.

I've been trying to think of a notoriously bad game that I've done more than sampled and wasn't one of the cliche answers like ET or Superman 64, and this is it. In the late 90's, a friend of mine only had a Saturn and Sonic R was the only multiplayer game he had, so I played quite a bit of it. Eventually I started bringing over my N64 and PS1 to have something better to do.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

emSparkly posted:

Sonic R is a game that’s notorious for being bad, but I completed it 100% and I legitimately like it.

Me too, good soundtrack, frustrating to 100%, would do it again.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Magical Drop 4: An insult to life itself

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I remember discovering Superman 64 has a Descent-like FPS multiplayer mode and one of my friend earnestly saying "wow, this is like a good game now"

it wasn't, but it was considerably better than the single player.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Droogie posted:

I unashamedly loved the hell out of Star Wars: Yoda Stories.

It was never challenging, it was never complicated, the puzzles were puzzles in name only. It was just fetch quests. Get X to Y. To get X, you have to get A to B, he will give you M. Take M to N to get X.

It was repetitive, the graphics were simultaneously charming and lovely. It was just a trance-like relaxing game for me.

I liked those desktop games lol. I played the Indiana Jones one too.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

PureEvil6_13 posted:

ET on the Atari. I think that game gave me the Intermittent Explosive Disorder I live with for all of my days.

Did you ever stumble into the Easter egg in the ET game? When you fall to the bottom of one of the many death pits that make the game impossible to play, suddenly out of nowhere the fly thing from Yar’s Revenge appears and flies away?

8 year old me thought I had lost my mind. I had no concept of game developers hiding poo poo in games and I could not get it to happen again to confirm I wasn’t hallucinating and there was no internet to look it up. I considered the possibility that some game particles had rubbed off of the Yar’s Revenge cartridge and got stuck to the ET cartridge causing the thing from one game to end up in the other game.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ralph Hurley posted:

Did you ever stumble into the Easter egg in the ET game? When you fall to the bottom of one of the many death pits that make the game impossible to play, suddenly out of nowhere the fly thing from Yar’s Revenge appears and flies away?

8 year old me thought I had lost my mind. I had no concept of game developers hiding poo poo in games and I could not get it to happen again to confirm I wasn’t hallucinating and there was no internet to look it up. I considered the possibility that some game particles had rubbed off of the Yar’s Revenge cartridge and got stuck to the ET cartridge causing the thing from one game to end up in the other game.

8 year old you had good intuition, as that's exactly what happened in OOT with Star Fox leftovers. Although the content in question doesn't normally spawn in the game, it's still very much present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUto459oezE

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i should probably mention the hundreds of hours in Star Wars: Rebellion except i liked that game so much i dont consider it bad

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

I also played an "educational" adventure game called Manhole (lol) that my parents had on their lovely mac when I had exhausted my NES collection. The lack of any objective or reward in this thing was maddening and boring, and made it feel like a fever dream. Imagine Myst but there's no puzzles and you just go around clicking on poo poo. I desperately searched for ways to win but it just took me in endless circles. gently caress this game. I wish I had kept it buried in my subconscious I feel legit bad just thinking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyOTq1EpV5o&t=360s

Suspekt Device fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 23, 2024

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

funeral home DJ posted:

I tried Pit Fighter for the SNES multiple times at my cousin’s house, only to realize decades later that it was legitimately one of the worst SNES games ever conceived. Apparently the Genesis version was better, but Pit Fighter lives on in my mind as the worst game I’ve ever played.

Pit Fighter was one of those arcade games that looked so cool when you saw the arcade machine by the grocery store entrance, but never got to play because mom wasn't going to hang around while a cart full of food. When we finally rented it, it turned out to be terrible, but we played it anyways because what else were were going to do? I don't think we ever made it past the double Executioner fight though.

Ralph Hurley posted:

Deadly Towers on NES was the most aggravating game I stuck with until the end.
I learned years later it had made several lists of worst games of all time.

I guess it was innovative at the time for having 8 directional movement on a faux 3D background but the movement was awkward as gently caress and took a lot of getting used to and your character would get stuck a lot. There were a lot of lovely things going on at once that made play difficult, especially at the beginning and most people probably just gave up. Right from the jump you were attacked from all sides by enemies with super erratic movement, some of them indestructible. Your only weapon was a sword that you fired from your crotch. You could only fire one at a time. If you shot and missed you had to stand there defenseless while you waited for your flying sword to slowly leave the screen. You had hit points/hearts based system and getting hit would knock you back, sometimes off the edge of a cliff. When you died, you always had to start at the very beginning and any money you collected went down to zero. Cliffs are everywhere. Adding to this hell, somewhere in the first area of the game is an invisible entrance to a parallel world. There are several of these in the game and it is impossible to see them coming. You’re walking along and suddenly the screen changes and you’re in a square room with four doors, none of which take you back to where you came in. You are trapped and have to guess your way through a seemingly endless series of identical square rooms until you stumble your way out. The deeper into it you go, you quickly are killed by enemies that hopelessly outclass you. None of this furthers the actual game, you’re just in hell. I had to start drawing maps to navigate. The design and color schemes are loving hideous. The enemy sprites are barely recognizable as anything. There’s a thing called a Crud that is just a blob on the ground that you get stuck to and die.

Things I liked about the game: The music kicks rear end. It’s repetitive as hell but also varied and it’s got that medieval chiptune vibe that I like. The key to the game is finding weapon and armor upgrades as soon as possible. These things cost money that like I mentioned, disappears when you die. But if you can manage to find a way to grind and get a bunch of coins or whatever saved up and make to to a store you can start getting better poo poo and the game starts getting more fun. I had a lot more patience for games like this back then and I beat the motherfucker. People on YouTube called me a liar in comments when I said I beat it because apparently nobody could.

While Deadly Towers isn't a great game, it has a worse reputation than it deserves because of how obtuse it was. When I played it as a kid, I never got anywhere because there was no guidance outside of the vague goal of throwing bells in a fire or something like that. I don't think I ever found a single bell during my time with the game, because I spent most playtime wandering in that weird dungeon you randomly warped to. It would have been far more approachable if it gave you some guidance or came with a hint book or something like that. Instead, most people played it for 5 minutes, stabbed some blobs, wound up in the dungeon for no reason, said "What just happened? Where am I? What the hell is going on?" and turned it off.

When I played and finished it years later with the help of a guide, it still wasn't great, or even good, but it's nowhere near the absolute worst the NES has to offer.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Suspekt Device posted:

I also played an "educational" adventure game called Manhole (lol) that my parents had on their lovely mac when I had exhausted my NES collection. The lack of any objective or reward in this thing was maddening and boring, and made it feel like a fever dream. Imagine Myst but there's no puzzles and you just go around clicking on poo poo. I desperately searched for ways to win but it just took me in endless circles. gently caress this game.

My stepdad had this game. The only thing i learned from it was to be very afraid of manholes.

Just the name is terrifying. Manhole.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Suspekt Device posted:

I also played an "educational" adventure game called Manhole (lol) that my parents had on their lovely mac when I had exhausted my NES collection. The lack of any objective or reward in this thing was maddening and boring, and made it feel like a fever dream. Imagine Myst but there's no puzzles and you just go around clicking on poo poo. I desperately searched for ways to win but it just took me in endless circles. gently caress this game.

I had Cosmic Osmo as a child. Bizarre game.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

I had Cosmic Osmo as a child. Bizarre game.

Holy poo poo just saw a short playthrough. Children should not have been subjected to these games.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

Outpost

among my friends in high school we very cleverly nicknamed it Compost, but we still played that garbage because the concept was cool. it really did suck though.

Lord Harbor posted:

I came here to post this game. I absolutely loved Outpost and played it a ton without ever realizing that it was terrible. Probably helped that I was like 10 years old and the game looked great.

It was juuuust finished enough to convince my pea-brain that it was an actual, playable game. It wasn't.

I "beat" the game by building dozens of terraforming stations. What happens when your "Percent Terraformed" number hits 100? Nothing.

Sierra even offered a patch! They mailed you a 3.25" floppy that would fix the bugs! IT ONLY ADDED ANOTHER BUG! You could now build monorail stations, but not tracks or trains. There was no reason to build monorails in the first place, since you only got one settlement.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Put years into Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Friday the 13th on the NES. I secretly love them dearly, but also loathe them for their difficulty.

You literally can’t beat Judge Doom without the super punch Game Genie code ( and it’s still nearly impossible), and running into Jason on the outside track of Camp Crystal Lake multiple times until he kills you :argh:

You can beat him without cheating. I did, after trying almost every day for weeks with the aid of a turbo controller. Then, the first time I got him, he got up and killed me because I grabbed the dip cannon, but didn't know you had to hold the button down to fire it continuously. Instead, I tried firing it by tapping the button, died, and had to start all over again. I finally managed to knock him again out a few days later, beat the game, and got the incredibly lame ending screen.

Only decades later did I discover that you can stun-lock him in the corner and unleash repeated charged punches to cheese him.

That game is loving garbage and the people who made it should be lowered into the dip vat. Oh and it was published by LJN, but actually made by Rare. Yes, the Rare that made timeless classics like Battletoads, Donkey Kong Country, and Goldeneye, was once a licensed crap factory that churned out dogshit garbage like this, various games based on gameshows, and other ghost written shovelware.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 23, 2024

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
The same people who made Dark Reign, a very well regarded RTS in its day, and its sequel also made an MMORPG. Was it set in their famous Dark Reign world you ask? Hell no, it was set in generic fantasy land and was called Fury. You don't remember Fury? Why would you. I just looked it up on the youtubes and the biggest video about it has under 15k views. The game was shutdown after a few months and the developer was soon to follow. I played it opening week!

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I played a lot of whatever lovely garfield game was on sega game gear. I hated it but it was a christmas present and I had to pretend I liked it because it was so expensive
It must have been pretty bad cause at that age I would play Bubsy and Bubsy 2 for fun

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I played Stronghold 3 when I bought the entire series on Steam. The first game was fun. The second was pretty so-so. Stronghold 3 was just straight up garbage. I never experienced an RTS where units just got stuck in the walls when trying to pathfind to a gate. I didn't feel good even finishing it. The ending was absolute rear end and was probably a sequel bait for a fourth game that never happened. I couldn't even bother to play the Economic campaign.

The game was apparently so bad that it eventually got taken off the company's store list.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Waited in line at midnight for Duke Nukem Forever, I just heard it was finally coming out and didn't know it was sold to Gearbox as a pity project to be finished. It took a lot of hard liquor but I beat it solely out of spite for having wasted the money.

I bought 2042 at launch but once Dice patched in all the missing stuff it became a lot of fun with the friends.

Bought Starfield at launch thinking it would be Skyrim in space--but they completely yanked out the fun exploration aspect of getting to your destination so I refunded that.

:shrug:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I both beat, and thoroughly enjoyed, Metroid: Other M.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
the first level of 'the tick' on sega genesis was called 'night of a million billion ninjas' and it literally made you fight a million billion ninjas

i found an article about it with google lol

https://www.destructoid.com/i-hope-you-like-monotony-because-the-tick-on-snes-and-genesis-is-crammed-full-of-it/

quote:

You may be asking if a game that’s mediocre can truly be kusoge. I’m not sure, I don’t make the laws here. However, I would ask you to try something for me: see if you have the patience to make it past the ninja levels. If you succeed, tell me how you feel.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

LuckyCat posted:

Metroid: Other what?

I know not of what you speak. It doesn't exist.

Bottle. Baby. Baby Crying.
The actual parts you played weren't too bad, but holy poo poo was the story terrible. You are dying in a volcano because some rear end in a top hat didn't explicitly tell you to turn on an armor upgrade that you had all along, but wouldn't use just because some rear end in a top hat, who you don't actually work for or answer to, didn't explicitly tell you to. Never mind it turning out that you had the loving screw attack the whole loving time, and it could cut through everything in your way with ease, but couldn't use it because, again, the same rear end in a top hat didn't explicitly tell you to. Meanwhile, the people doing this couldn't even get through the front door without Samus's help.

I think my favorite bit of Other M trivia, and what sums up the design of it in general, is when the guy who originally created Metroid, and directed Super Metroid (probably one of the 10 best games of all time), asked why the gravity suit was purple. You designed Metroid, and probably had a hand in the original gravity suit in Super Metroid, and are asking a question like that!?

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 24, 2024

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I played Dota and destiny op

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

meat police posted:

Waited in line at midnight for Duke Nukem Forever, I just heard it was finally coming out and didn't know it was sold to Gearbox as a pity project to be finished. It took a lot of hard liquor but I beat it solely out of spite for having wasted the money.

I bought 2042 at launch but once Dice patched in all the missing stuff it became a lot of fun with the friends.

Bought Starfield at launch thinking it would be Skyrim in space--but they completely yanked out the fun exploration aspect of getting to your destination so I refunded that.

:shrug:

Never, ever, order a game immediately when it releases. If you preorder a game, you're just a straight up fool. (I'm not referring to you, but to anyone reading this).

The last game I bought at release was Microsoft Flight Simulator in 2020 and only because I was in flight school and the game shipped with the sport plane I was training on and I figured it'd save me a whole lot of money practicing at home instead of paying for fuel or an instructor $50+ an hour, so timing was actually important. It was fine but there were some issues at first, as almost every single game has.

The one I bought before that... no loving idea. I learned like 15 years ago to not pay companies to beta test their games for them.

Just wait. You'll survive.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I remember Dark Reign. I remember not liking it .

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Back when physical media was still a thing for PC games, there was an amount of trust in the developer/publisher to not gently caress up dramatically after all of the time, costs, and logistics of physically sending items all over the world.

Yeah that's gone now.

Anyone can release a piece of poo poo right out the gate now and everyone will be in an uproar but they can just patch it a few days later and the anger will die down and people will start coming back and all of the reviews and drama and blah blah blah.

I'll just wait until I know the product that I am paying for will actually work before I buy it. :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LuckyCat posted:

You're a sicko.

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Suspekt Device posted:

I also played an "educational" adventure game called Manhole (lol) that my parents had on their lovely mac when I had exhausted my NES collection. The lack of any objective or reward in this thing was maddening and boring, and made it feel like a fever dream. Imagine Myst but there's no puzzles and you just go around clicking on poo poo. I desperately searched for ways to win but it just took me in endless circles. gently caress this game. I wish I had kept it buried in my subconscious I feel legit bad just thinking about it.

huh this one's interesting to at least watch and does feel like somethings "off" about it
if it was just a weird flash 15 years later instead of ripping you off out of a full game it'd be pretty neat

it's almost got an LSD Dream Emulator thing going where you're just exploring and it has a mysterious and sinister vibe (despite Manhole being made for kids and all the innocuous characters/dialog attempting to be friendly), except that had a lot more areas and some randomization to build intrigue

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Worf posted:

i should probably mention the hundreds of hours in Star Wars: Rebellion except i liked that game so much i dont consider it bad

Dang that game had a lot of promise with deep unit rosters from the EU and good cutscenes, but I remember it being a bit clunky. Although I did find out that if you begin blasting every planet with the Death Star your approval goes so low it becomes maximum popularity & the rebellion loses, probably quite confused at fickle public opinion.

For another game Tropico 2 was a sequel to a fun economic simulator, and they decided for a different approach by having it still be running a Caribbean island economy except you’re a old timey pirate lord. Which maybe could have worked but couldn’t overcome the hurdle of a pirate theme not being fun when paired with demands for more lumber & how you couldn’t go on missions only dispatch ships.

It was one of the most unintentionally problematic games I’ve played, your pirates have core demands including time with wenches, so you must build brothels. Except they don’t staff themselves so gotta kidnap victims from settlements & yup it’s a sex trafficking simulator now. Go ahead & put them near the parrot & peg leg shops & the wacky skeleton pushing a wheelbarrow to save on labor costs.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Speaking of bad Star Wars games, we played the hell out of Rebel Assault 1 and 2. At the time they were so cool because CD-ROM FMV "WOW IT'S LIKE PLAYING A MOVIE!" In hindsight, they were terrible. The controls, particularly in the parts where you flew speeders and fighters through canyons, were absolutely awful. The whole challenge of the game was basically fighting the awful controls, and the game in general was a series of crappy, on-rails shooters that were flashy, but ultimately not much fun. There's a reason why nobody really cares about those games now.

The Rebel Assault 2 CD came with demos of Fate of Atlantis and Full Throttle, which are awesome adventure games though.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

The_Franz posted:

That game is loving garbage and the people who made it should be lowered into the dip vat. Oh and it was published by LJN, but actually made by Rare. Yes, the Rare that made timeless classics like Battletoads, Donkey Kong Country, and Goldeneye, was once a licensed crap factory that churned out dogshit garbage like this, various games based on gameshows, and other ghost written shovelware.

I feel like Battletoads should be on this list because the first level is rad as hell, the second level is decent, but the third level is loving brutal and it doesn't really get much better after that. There's at least a couple other puzzle/race levels and a bullshit ice level too. Game might actually be bad and people only remember playing the first level over and over again because they'd game over in the third.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The_Franz posted:

You can beat him without cheating. I did, after trying almost every day for weeks with the aid of a turbo controller. Then, the first time I got him, he got up and killed me because I grabbed the dip cannon, but didn't know you had to hold the button down to fire it continuously. Instead, I tried firing it by tapping the button, died, and had to start all over again. I finally managed to knock him again out a few days later, beat the game, and got the incredibly lame ending screen.

Only decades later did I discover that you can stun-lock him in the corner and unleash repeated charged punches to cheese him.

Oh yeah, I eventually figured out how to beat him (by stun-locking him in the corner), but it takes. So. loving. Loooong. To beat his rear end. I also made the mistake of getting killed thinking you tapped the button for the dip cannon.

And whose bright idea was it to have Benny the Cab’s controls reversed (left goes right and right goes left)???

But circling around to the other LJN game I mentioned, Friday the 13th. That might have been the first video game to give me crippling anxiety and fill me with untapped dread, and it did a great job of it. There was nothing worse than the rare moment when you defeated Jason (… for now) in a counselor’s cabin and enter one of the larger cabins to light the fireplace, only to see Jason’s name in the corner. Oh please gently caress just let me light the fireplace and not run into him again in this multi-roomed cabin what the gently caress.

That, and those drat wolves in the woods that had a howling sound effect much louder than anything else in the game :ohdear:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Froghammer posted:

I am a JRPG lover through and through, and my household was a Nintendo household that skipped the SNES, which meant by necessity I played the everloving poo poo out of Quest 64

From another thread:

Travic posted:

I am one of about 3 people that loved Quest 64. I loved it so much I played it for a long time without a save pack. Meaning I started over every time I turned the N64 on...or died.

Most runs would get to the first boss. I'd beat him then usually die on the way to the second city.

I was playing the shittiest rogue-like you've every seen and I loved it. I didn't find out until many, many years later that Quest 64 was universally reviled.

Julius CSAR posted:

I had the exact same experience with Body Harvest, another N64 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Festers Quest wasn't bad but it was just mean hard.

I beat Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt because I hate myself and want to suffer

Also MI64 was cool with the rocket gun cheat, that party turned out to be a real BLAST

Ive spent an unhealthy amount of my life playing Ballz3d

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 24, 2024