Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Was not expecting Lars Von Trier discussion in the bad wrestling takes thread but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I think trying to make a pro wrestling product that literally looks "real," whatever that means to you, doesn't end up working most of the time because in execution it becomes "stall with some sloppy grappling that doesn't go anywhere." I think the mindset gets messed up when the goal is too focused on the idea of realism.

I think they'd see better results with making small adjustments towards realism. If you are doing a cross armbreaker spot, make it about the fight to get the hold cleanly applied. Sitting there with the armbreaker cleanly applied for 30 seconds while you don't even appear to be trying to escape or even reduce the pressure of the hold just kinda looks bad. Enough people know how an armbreaker or whatever other real hold works in 2024, so just sell in a more realistic way. You can even literally lay out matches the same way, as this is really just about the execution.

I'd say that leaning towards having some struggle to apply holds and attempting escapes makes it more engaging, even for the mythical casual fan. Instinctively, you know that the reaction to someone applying a limb lock is to try to protect that limb and get the other person to lose the hold. Sitting back and grimacing to an ankle lock is illogical (yes, beep boop I'm a robot), but you know it's true and I don't think selling the struggle to apply holds would turn away fans. I think it is just one of this "this is just how wrestling works" mentality kind of things, and just assumed to be the correct way.

I've been on this train of thought recently, but maybe the conclusion I'm reaching is that it is important to selectively utilize suspension of disbelief efficiently. Make it count when you stylistically stretch realism in service of doing something cool. Rules can be broken, but don't break them when you aren't gaining anything by doing so.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

love me some lars so i do

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Lars Von Trier is probably like the Vince Russo of outsider cinema or something that's probably a take

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

sure he praised hitler as a joke at cannes and emotionally abused bjork for the entire shoot of dancer in the dark. but can we really not forgive after he made melancholia?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

yea ok posted:

sure he praised hitler as a joke at cannes and emotionally abused bjork for the entire shoot of dancer in the dark. but can we really not forgive after he made melancholia?

He’s a sick little freak but every great director is. My favorite story from dancer in the dark is every time before they would shoot Bjork would spit on Lars and call him scum.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Lars Von Trier is probably like the Vince Russo of outsider cinema or something that's probably a take

I mean, I knew LVT was a massive misogynist, I just wasn't aware he did swerves for the sake of swerving the audience

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

idk ive never heard of the guy it just seemed like a good stupid take for the stupid take thread

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Okada to NXT is actually good

https://twitter.com/JimValley/status/1749836446268313676?s=19

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

his knuckles said gently caress that 1 time and he was in the wolf pack

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

draft and stash but for wrestling

reminds me of that time in the halcyon days of 2019 where WWE was signing literally everyone they could just to keep them from AEW

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The_Rob posted:

He’s a sick little freak but every great director is. My favorite story from dancer in the dark is every time before they would shoot Bjork would spit on Lars and call him scum.

Stories from hollywood shoots in the 70s are crazy to me. Just telling actors they won't pull too hard on a stunt because she has a bad back and ripping the cord as hard as they can to get a real reaction. Mother fucker it's called acting!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is this what they are doing with Jade?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shard posted:

Is this what they are doing with Jade?

no, they are struggling to re-train Jade, at first they said it was proof AEW cant train wrestlers but instead its becoming more AEW was painfully aware of her limitations and booked around it to not expose her as it didnt matter what training environment she had

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Shard posted:

Stories from hollywood shoots in the 70s are crazy to me. Just telling actors they won't pull too hard on a stunt because she has a bad back and ripping the cord as hard as they can to get a real reaction. Mother fucker it's called acting!

Oh the stories of John Milius are the best. He would apparently just bring a gun into meetings with the studio.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The_Rob posted:

Oh the stories of John Milius are the best. He would apparently just bring a gun into meetings with the studio.

Given what I've heard about studio execs, that one's almost forgivable.

Lid posted:

no, they are struggling to re-train Jade, at first they said it was proof AEW cant train wrestlers but instead its becoming more AEW was painfully aware of her limitations and booked around it to not expose her as it didnt matter what training environment she had

I mean her biggest limitation is that she's green as hell, and even with that she's still a better worker than Raquel Rodriguez.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lid posted:

starting to think WWE can’t train wrestlers

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Her knees are too powerful

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

If you want realism in wrestling just watch Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher

Takuan
May 6, 2007

beepo posted:

I've been on this train of thought recently, but maybe the conclusion I'm reaching is that it is important to selectively utilize suspension of disbelief efficiently. Make it count when you stylistically stretch realism in service of doing something cool. Rules can be broken, but don't break them when you aren't gaining anything by doing so.

I've talked to a few people who complain about the lack of realism in modern wrestling and for each one of them 'realism' was a codeword that meant "exactly like wrestling was like when I was a stupid child and thought it was real." They don't actually want realism, they want to trick themselves into believing again.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ARMBAR A COP posted:

If you want realism in wrestling just watch Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher

Necro vs Low Ki is another good one. Hell, Necro vs anyone from that era since he's basically blind without his glasses and thus never pulled any of his punches.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

Necro vs Low Ki is another good one. Hell, Necro vs anyone from that era since he's basically blind without his glasses and thus never pulled any of his punches.

It feels wrong to call Necro a modern day Stan Hansen and yet.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

necro vs super dragon where one of them gets KO on the first move and they have a 25 minute weapons match after

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I went to a PWG show where Hero and Necro wrestled and they started off with chain wrestling and we all chanted you can wrestle to necro and he shushed us all and told us to keep it a secret.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

God I wish Necro wasn’t such an absolute poor excuse for a human being in real life, his wrestling persona was so malleable and fun: somehow perfect for edgelord Age of The Fall stuff, able to do a comedy bit like “don’t tell anyone I know how to wrestle” after working a chain-wrestling sequence, magnetic enough that he’s a standout in The Wrestler wearing bifocals and explaining a staple gun spot to Mickey Rourke and then doing it on camera

If he just didn’t suck as a person, imagine what we could have had

Oh well we got Nick Gage, and I suppose that’s good enough.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
dave meltzer is arguing on twitter again

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Cameo posted:

God I wish Necro wasn’t such an absolute poor excuse for a human being in real life, his wrestling persona was so malleable and fun: somehow perfect for edgelord Age of The Fall stuff, able to do a comedy bit like “don’t tell anyone I know how to wrestle” after working a chain-wrestling sequence, magnetic enough that he’s a standout in The Wrestler wearing bifocals and explaining a staple gun spot to Mickey Rourke and then doing it on camera

If he just didn’t suck as a person, imagine what we could have had

Oh well we got Nick Gage, and I suppose that’s good enough.

I've always maintained that had Necro not gotten the giant weed tat he could have had some kind of a run in TNA. WWE would have never touched him in a million billion years but TNA would have brought him in and let him do something with Abyss. Alas.

It's a shame what he's become but he did collect CTE like it was Pokemon and even back then we knew it was never going to end well.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dave meltzer is arguing on twitter again

…what?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

The most realistic match I've ever seen was the Blaine Evans vs John Rare match at the 2021 IWA-DS Carnage Cup where Rare gets his fingat cut off.

Real in the sense that two drug addled rednecks did that spot in someone's backyard in front of 20 fans all for the love of the game.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Takuan posted:

I've talked to a few people who complain about the lack of realism in modern wrestling and for each one of them 'realism' was a codeword that meant "exactly like wrestling was like when I was a stupid child and thought it was real." They don't actually want realism, they want to trick themselves into believing again.

I mainly want to see wrestlers do their moves in a cool way, and not a lame way.

A german suplex where it looks like someone picked up their opponent and tossed them across the ring looks better than a suplex where they cleanly lock up, do a little bounce for timing, and move in unison. If you can't throw a punch that doesn't look like poo poo and misses by a mile, don't throw a lot of punches. Wrestlers just sitting there making faces in submission holds is boring, to me at least.

Wrestling still is a worked fight, so take cues from real fights, but add drama and timing to take it to the next level. Why Miz it up when you don't have to? Maybe I'm just team Jock over team theatre kids.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/SondreBjorn/status/1749875565148913852

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I understand that Ali is moving tickets for indies he's working butttttt this is clearly Naito/Moxley moving tickets

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Very funny since the majority of the AEW to AAA crossover recently has been QT Marshall which I'm sure was all AEW's doing.

https://twitter.com/MicromanFever/status/1749887347313815960

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm glad he let us know he's not the actual Microman who, I hope, would have better opinions.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Apparently, Okada really needs to go to Hard Cam University:

https://twitter.com/yomamahouce/status/1749824085255672085
https://twitter.com/HeyItsGCA/status/1749871308739953003
https://twitter.com/sarit_mohanty17/status/1749869018838913499
https://twitter.com/KaiEnhancements/status/1749987785707008386

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I love that these people never know how to spell Cirque du Soleil

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
they should put okada on the jade cargill plan, where you spend two years deprogramming all of the bad things they've learned, then spend two years teaching them how to wrestle, then two years touring florida before debuting on nxt for 2-3 years, then to the main roster to job to cedric alexander in four minute matches on velocity

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PAC? Pfft as washed as Matt Hardy, now Parker there's a guy you can build a company around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Straight up forgot Parker existed and thought he had been released.