Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KakerMix posted:

It's the drive for profit that is destroying everything we all liked about everything before. It's never the technology or culture shift or kids today or the guy with darker skin, it is ALWAYS about profits.

That so many people miss this and are hyper focused on whatever symptom they are currently observing like it's brand new is frustrating.

I'm glad paleworld is doing well and it ISN'T Disney or Nintendo or Microsoft or whatever because why not. I'm not even sure Disney has had an original idea in decades. Maybe not even then.

This is how I've felt about the whole, "AI Bad" argument.

That it'll eventually replace workers isn't an argument against AI, that's an argument for an entirely new concept of what money / income / wealth even is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I love it when you play an anime game and you suddenly have a very tasteful human trafficking scene with a jaunty comedy carnival music is playing in the background.

I loving love anime.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
People can both want an new system of money/income/livelihood or lack thereoff and also not want the current tech trend to eliminate that for folks that need it in our current system. Until we have the former we're never going to have that chat about AI's (or whatever tech) actual place is in society.

We can both fight towards that better future and also fight against tech being pushed primarily for profit. Marking all that as people just saying "AI bad" is just lovely.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Owl Inspector posted:

Nope, you’ve already played them. I enjoyed 4 having not played any of the games in a few years, but 5 was so similar to it that I didn’t get very far before losing interest. there’s nothing wrong with them, graphics are 30% better than the previous game etc but you know exactly what you’re getting. 5 had some bits where you have to only use one character for awhile which made you think a bit differently but there’s nothing there that feels very new.

Honestly, I'm fine with this. Trine isn't a series that really needs much shaking up, as long as it keeps up the fairy-tale storybook universe, and the doofy 2.5d physics platforming to co-op around with.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bumhead posted:

Something that dawned on me a few years ago was the realisation that the worlds biggest games were just completely passing me by.

Further to that, some of the absolute biggest I've never even heard of or know next to nothing about, even within the context of still reading about games on a daily basis despite my own increasingly narrow tastes.

Then again I'm the guy sat here playing the same PC shooters as I was in 1998, Jeff Minter games and hoping someone does a remaster of Ridge Racer Type 4. It's not really a surprise that Palworld isn't on my radar, but it definitely just looks and feel like one of those things on a top grossing list that I've just straight up never seen before.

You must be excited for the Jeff minter game-documentary

https://www.digitaleclipse.com/games/llamasoft

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Velocity Raptor posted:

I have, and I've learned you don't gently caress with ATMs.

That was my biggest laugh out loud moment of the game. There are softer hacking fails, but the first ATM I messed with melted my cyber brain killing me immediately.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

I love it when you play an anime game and you suddenly have a very tasteful human trafficking scene with a jaunty comedy carnival music is playing in the background.

I loving love anime.

Well, so long as it's tasteful...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jack Trades posted:

I loving love anime.

Yakuza or

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

D.Fuzzbot posted:

How many folks here have actually played their copy of E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy?

To 100% completion. What a ride.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

I loving love anime.

Saints Row The Third?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Their legs are not OK.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I tried playing it half a dozen times but I'm to weak to handle that level of jank.

ZearothK posted:

Saints Row The Third?

No, but I don't wanna say the forbidden words or VideoGames will probate me again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i played through eye once but there are multiple endings and then some sort of true ending that actually explains some of what was happening. it's a lot.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think this key will give you Alpha Protocol (plus  Company of Heroes, Rome: Total War, Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit)

D8KME-@@JBG-2LP5J

@ is nothing 

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I feel old

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Jack Trades posted:

No, but I don't wanna say the forbidden words or VideoGames will probate me again.

What's the forbidden word? Anime?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I loving love anime.

And which one do you purchase to add to your harem?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
preload for infinite wealth is up, 78.28GB:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I tried playing it half a dozen times but I'm to weak to handle that level of jank.

I know being a miserable freak that everyone on the forums hates is like your "thing" but maybe don't be a coward and say the game you're playing OP.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I know being a miserable freak that everyone on the forums hates is like your "thing" but maybe don't be a coward and say the game you're playing OP.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Orv
May 4, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Now I’m imagining a star Gate survival game.

StarGate Worlds maybe

I regret to inform you that you have stumbled into an already existing thing with your generic choice. There was going to be a Stargate Worlds MMO for a hot minute there.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Nevermind!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh hey, Graven's out. I did like the demo quite a lot, possibly more than most, curious to see if they stuck the landing. Especially with...everything going on at 3DR.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

Oh hey, Graven's out. I did like the demo quite a lot, possibly more than most, curious to see if they stuck the landing. Especially with...everything going on at 3DR.

Is that the game where you can only deal damage either melee or environmental effects? I was not a fan of that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is any of the LAD8 DLC more than just cosmetics and XP items?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sab669 posted:

That it'll eventually replace workers isn't an argument against AI, that's an argument for an entirely new concept of what money / income / wealth even is

Well, most automation doesn't steal copyrighted materials created by other labours and use it for its own work.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well you see they’re only feeding the stolen stuff into the algorithm, they’re not profiting off other people’s work directly so it’s okay!

An actual argument they’re trying to use, somehow.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hwurmp posted:

If you're into NG+, that's gated by the mid-tier edition thingie.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hwurmp posted:

deluxe edition includes the 'master vacation bundle' which is ng+ (with some changes hinted at), only worth it if you really think you'll have a second full playthrough asap

ultimate edition adds on 'assorted outfit pack' (literally some costumes), 'sujimon battle & special resort pack' (unique extras for big side games), and the 'yakuza cd collection pack' (some background music to play when wandering around) - none of that is special at all imo

pre-order having 2 extra jobs is far more impactful imo

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Mordja posted:

I was quite excited as well, but reviews I've been watching make it seem pretty shaky, so maybe you should wait. There are some bizarre design decisions like:

1) stamina existing for a world where you're going to be backtracking and climbing for long lengths, stopping so many times to catch your breath as it slowly recharges
2) no map, terribly vague journal notes, no fast travel, and a huge lack of direction for such a large and complex metroidvania world
3) weapon quickslots being incredibly limited for no reason (big weapons take up multiple slots?) since inventory pauses the game so it just makes switching weapons tedious and annoying
4) potential softlocks as the world doesn't save state properly (for example, a door that was opened by a lever will be closed, but the lever will remain frozen in activated state, on load/reset)
5) dumb enemy AI and glitchy unfinished animations
5) and the biggest and craziest one being that, despite having checkpoints, quitting the game and loading your file will always put you back at the hub, creating huge amounts of backtracking. Like, imagine having to start at Firelink Shrine everytime you loaded your Dark Souls game.

Hopefully some of these can get patched: game seems like it has a lot of potential, but man, felt like they were really confused on how to put everything together.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 23, 2024

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

exquisite tea posted:

The Something Awful forums are not always a representative sample size of the gaming population at large, for example the Steam thread contains all 12 posters who have ever played Alpha Protocol.

I feel seen.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sab669 posted:

I think people are (understandably) pessimistic and expect that instead of entering a post scarcity society we'll just get lovely entertainment forever AND everyone is a gig worker with no gigs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
But there’s already a scarcity of good posting :confused:

AkaiNami
Sep 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

I remember that at one time Graven had this bug where if you quit the game and reloaded you would be stuck in a void unable to do anything. It took them multiple months to fix a game breaking bug. It really killed any hope I had for this game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

When did nerds start caring about copyright infringements lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

sebmojo posted:

When did nerds start caring about copyright infringements lmao
you wouldn't download a cart

Orv
May 4, 2011
Buddy I’d download a whole fuckin’ bank who cares about a pokesmon

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rebel Blob posted:

A Stargate game was just released today, with zero publicity or fanfare, Stargate: Timekeepers. It might be a move of desperation, as they are selling the full game but are only delivering the first half now. It looks like a Shadow Tactics/Desperadoes III clone, which is pretty grim just after the dissolution of Mimimi. If you have any interest, there is a demo available.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256986914/movie480_vp9.webm

Watched a dev streaming it and it looked like the worst kind of stealth gameplay. Oops you stepped wrong, you instantly lose, restart from the last save.

Though TBH I don't like stealth games at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

you know what actually yeah

Everything about Don Corneo disturbs the hell out of me, the guy is a serial killer who preys on underprivileged girls he lures to his mansion, but because the tone of the original Wall Market was very goofy the remake, being faithful to the original, is also goofy and lighthearted around here. It always bothered me how the depths of his monstrosity aren't treated with the gravity I think would be appropriate, and people around him just try not to think too hard about what happens to the trafficked girls who don't come home.