Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I wouldn't put my hopes on a Dexit anytime soon. The EU is far less unpopular in Germany than it ever was in Britain, and stuff like Schengen alone is much more conscious in the average German's mind (I know you can be in Schengen without being in the EU, but the EU-Exit types typically don't want Free Movement).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What would Denmark leaving EU be called? Legxit?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I wouldn't put my hopes on a Dexit anytime soon. The EU is far less unpopular in Germany than it ever was in Britain, and stuff like Schengen alone is much more conscious in the average German's mind (I know you can be in Schengen without being in the EU, but the EU-Exit types typically don't want Free Movement).

Our Brexit ended up being the perfect example of 'gently caress around & find out'... don't try this poo poo at home. :nono:

Only silver lining for me was possibly accelerating the process of Northern Ireland reunifying with the rest of the island, but that one is still decades away.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nenonen posted:

What would Denmark leaving EU be called? Legxit?
We can't leave because there's no really good name for it.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Our Brexit ended up being the perfect example of 'gently caress around & find out'... don't try this poo poo at home. :nono:

Only silver lining for me was possibly accelerating the process of Northern Ireland reunifying with the rest of the island, but that one is still decades away.
Actually, it will happen this year.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We can't leave because there's no really good name for it.

Surely you can make something funny out of "afslut" ?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Kamelåxit?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Schlexit-Holstein question is so complicated, only three men in Europe have ever understood it. One was Prince Albert, who is dead. The second was a German professor who became mad. I am the third and I have forgotten all about it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's clearly Danxit, getting rid of all the Dans.

Better hope you're not a Dan yourself.

Dan. Yeah, I mean you, Dan.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Noah's -mark

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Torrannor posted:

Germany did help start a war that removed a large source of cheap energy. It has decimated their economy.

Economic depressions can make people desperate. I would not put it past them to continue shooting themselves in their feet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat
Germany started a war? When?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Germany cleverly disguised themselves as Russians and invaded Ukraine. Putin still hasn't cottoned on.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Germany cleverly disguised themselves as Russians and invaded Ukraine. Putin still hasn't cottoned on.
Putin Kohl's puppet.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

How the HELL is Luxembourg getting so much money from EU??

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

alex314 posted:

It's tiny while being home to EU institutions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

alex314 posted:

The graph is per capita and their population is small, so little things appear big on the graph.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

alex314 posted:

Its tiny (640k population), and has a lot of EU admin based there.

quote:

In 2020, Luxembourg contributed €407.4 million to the European budget. The same year, the country received more than €2.4 billion from the EU, composed of the following parts:

€1.696 billion for administrative costs
€614.7 million for economic growth and inclusion
€68.7 million for sustainable growth
€65.2 million for security and citizenship

This led to a 'profit' of close to €2 billion.

That aside, even without the €1.7bn of EU admin its still a net benefactor to the tune of €300mn, or about €470 per year per capita - in the top 5 of the EU states. Which it probably shouldn't be given its wealth/tax haven status.

Blut fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 23, 2024

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Additional question - whose dumb idea was to locate EU institutions in Luxembourg? I imagine the answer is "bribes" or "politicians from France and Belgium really like them (and bribes)".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I always assumed it was specifically to choose a country unlikely to pursue imperial ambitions. Perfidious Albion would be furious if the damned French would host the main institutions and heaven forbid the Teutons get the seat of power. Stick it in Benelux but hang on the Brits are whining about the Orange Kingdom so skip the -ne- part.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

alex314 posted:

Additional question - whose dumb idea was to locate EU institutions in Luxembourg? I imagine the answer is "bribes" or "politicians from France and Belgium really like them (and bribes)".

Even though I won't exclude that there have been bribes, Luxembourg borders 3 of the other EC founding members and isn't very far from Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam/Den Haag and Bonn. They speak French and German, or at least Luxembourgish, which is mutually intelligible with western German dialects and they are the least threatening to take advantage of it/play political games. In 1957 at least.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I always assumed it was specifically to choose a country unlikely to pursue imperial ambitions.
"The House of Luxembourg, I thought you guys broke up?"
*laughs and pushes button*

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

alex314 posted:

Given the original membership of the EU/EEC its as logical a place as any to have them. Politically irrelevant, neutral (vs NL/France/Germany/Italy), geographically central etc. The same logic as Brussels but better really.

The actual very dumb part of it is that the EU institutions are split between Brussels, Luxembourg and Strasbourg. Its a collosal waste of time, effort and money.

In an ideal world we'd have had a purpose built EU diplomatic city like DC in the US. But failing that having everything in one place would at least have made far more practical, logistical and financial sense. And preferably somewhere nicer than Brussels, which is just an awful mess of a city.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe we could find a way to permanently locate the different parts of the EU that don't need to meet face to face in the different cities.

Alternatively, build a new place in the middle of the EU (and relocate it after every expansion)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably shouldn't do a Mitteleuropa plan if the aim is to avoid Brexitish claims that the EU is a fourth reich.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Probably shouldn't do a Mitteleuropa plan if the aim is to avoid Brexitish claims that the EU is a fourth reich.

Are you claiming someone still cares about what British brexiters think about anything? :v:

Well ok, maybe you're talking about AfD etc instead... ok now I'm sad :smith:

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Not even a majority of AfD voters are in favour of 'DExit', nevermind Germans in general:

The UK is the only place where anything approaching 50% of the population would be stupid enough to even consider such a thing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Blut posted:

Not even a majority of AfD voters are in favour of 'DExit', nevermind Germans in general:

The UK is the only place where anything approaching 50% of the population would be stupid enough to even consider such a thing.

Luckily they are on an island and can only contaminate by boat, you might need a.... sea border! :magical:

I'm sure they'll love that.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/derJamesJackson/status/1750532543085150542
https://twitter.com/tusionni/status/1750551018725593427
https://twitter.com/Fiftyset80_Toad/status/1750572205640159557

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Ah, the classic EP's far right group breaking up because of differences in how to be racist. Bit weird tho that it happens just before EP elections, usually those fun times happen just after it when they realize that they have to share same political group with 'those people'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"Wow, Marine le Pen ditching people she agrees with in order to be electorally viable, what a shocking twist." - Jean-Marie le Pen

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Tesseraction posted:

"Wow, Marine le Pen ditching people she agrees with in order to be electorally viable, what a shocking twist." - Jean-Marie le Pen

marine le pen is in with a real chance of becoming president of france. she has developed the precise degree and kind of racism which is electorally optimal and will not be moved from it. once she had to affirm that france was a country with religious freedom in the face of some (LR? Renaissance? i forget) other right-wing politician going on a genuine islamophobic tirade on television. it was interesting because it shows that she has very clearly thought through exactly how far she's going with this stuff in public appearances

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

V. Illych L. posted:

marine le pen is in with a real chance of becoming president of france. she has developed the precise degree and kind of racism which is electorally optimal and will not be moved from it. once she had to affirm that france was a country with religious freedom in the face of some (LR? Renaissance? i forget) other right-wing politician going on a genuine islamophobic tirade on television. it was interesting because it shows that she has very clearly thought through exactly how far she's going with this stuff in public appearances

Are the French fed up with Macron enough to finally stop begrudgingly voting for the non Le Pen person

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are the French fed up with Macron enough to finally stop begrudgingly voting for the non Le Pen person

i don't think so, but at this stage i wouldn't take any and all odds on a bet to that effect like i would in 2017 or 2022

e. i think it depends heavily on who the non-le pen person would be. macron is term limited out and he doesn't really have an obvious successor in place. imo he's trying to groom attal for that place and prime minister has historically been a position from which you can get quite popular in france, but i don't think anyone's actually become president from that position for a very long time

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 27, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

It's time for the French to move into the 20th century and elect their first female president. It's time for Hidalgo to make cars illegal.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It looks very likely. The polls have only been moving in only one direction in regards to support for Le Pen/RN over the last 20 years, and are now showing she'll likely get a majority:

2007: 10.4%
2012: 18%
2017: 34%
2022: 41.5%

quote:

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen would beat Emmanuel Macron if the presidential election of last year were repeated now

The survey from the Elabe group for the BFM TV channel indicated Le Pen would score 55 percent and President Macron 45 percent if they faced each other in a run-off vote.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230405-le-pen-would-beat-macron-if-french-presidential-vote-repeated-poll

Blut fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 27, 2024

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Blut posted:

It looks very likely. The polls have only been moving in only one direction in regards to support for Le Pen/RN over the last 20 years, and are now showing she'll likely get a majority:

2007: 10.4%
2012: 18%
2017: 34%
2022: 41.5%

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230405-le-pen-would-beat-macron-if-french-presidential-vote-repeated-poll

it bears noting that in 2007 and 2012 le pen didn't make it past the first round of votes, so the trend here isn't quite as stark as one might think, but old man le pen did make the second round back in 2002 and got 18% of the vote with quite significant turnout. the cordon sanitaire is looking extremely frayed between marine's political nous and the gradual collective realisation that this is just how things are now

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

V. Illych L. posted:

it bears noting that in 2007 and 2012 le pen didn't make it past the first round of votes, so the trend here isn't quite as stark as one might think, but old man le pen did make the second round back in 2002 and got 18% of the vote with quite significant turnout. the cordon sanitaire is looking extremely frayed between marine's political nous and the gradual collective realisation that this is just how things are now

yeah if you look at the first round votes for the two recent elections, le pen got 21% in 2017 and 23% in 2022. so increasing support but not exactly doubling between 2012 and now. on the other hand... not good! i would put money on her winning in 2027.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

lobster shirt posted:

yeah if you look at the first round votes for the two recent elections, le pen got 21% in 2017 and 23% in 2022. so increasing support but not exactly doubling between 2012 and now. on the other hand... not good! i would put money on her winning in 2027.

Zemmour took 7% of the vote in the first round in 2022 by being even further to Le Pen's right. Almost all of his votes would have gone to Le Pen otherwise, either way bringing the far right total up to 30%. And shes likely to get well over that in the first round in 2027.

Even taking only the second round, 34% in 2017, to 41% in 2022, to polling at 55% now, is still a farly horrifying increase in support for her. Theres still 3 years to go but its hard to see anyone rising to challenge her from the disjointed mess that is the French left, or the decimated more traditional center-right/left parties. Attal vs Le Pen looks odds on most likely as the final two, with her winning out.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Glah posted:

Ah, the classic EP's far right group breaking up because of differences in how to be racist. Bit weird tho that it happens just before EP elections, usually those fun times happen just after it when they realize that they have to share same political group with 'those people'.
So horseshoe theory is true after all and the rightwingers start to behave like leftwingers? :v:

I think the fash adjacent rightwing establishment is just throwing the afd away because they went too far to quickly and might turn into a focal point for a movement that actually has the capabilities to hurt said establishment.
A few days ago the german welt published a hit piece explaining how "left and green" the afd ACTUALLY is, so yea, their time seems to be up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
AfD is getting massive and very visible pushback from the German public so I don't think you need to be a political strategy genius to know that it's better not to associate with them very closely right now