Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I have nothing to add to that other than wanting to chime in and say that Season Two is loving amazing and, personally, my fave season.

Also, at the start of every season you'll be nostalgic for last seasons version of the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I will quietly add that season two is actually the original version of the song

And yeah, The Boat doesn’t seem like such a bad place to me

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 23, 2024

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

surf rock posted:

Alright, four episodes into season two:

- It's very difficult to look at Beadie and not see Marge Gunderson.

I had the reverse reaction to this. Guess Beadie retired early and went to get a corporate job.

Also, if you don't think the boat is bad wait until Winter. That and the constant fuel smell - which McNulty calls out as his reason for hating it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, at the start of every season you'll be nostalgic for last seasons version of the song.

I really liked Season 4's version :shobon: But yeah, 2 and 5 are at the bottom for me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wow a lot of Tom Waits-haters with wrong opinions in this thread.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I have nothing to add to that other than wanting to chime in and say that Season Two is loving amazing and, personally, my fave season.

Yep. A lot of people struggle with season two on their first watch because the change of focus (and theme song) is so unexpected and jarring, but it is a strong contender for best season.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wow a lot of Tom Waits-haters with wrong opinions in this thread.

That is correct, I do not like Tom Waits' voice. I respect his place in music but it is not for me. I have a wrong opinion.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Eason the Fifth posted:

That is correct, I do not like Tom Waits' voice. I respect his place in music but it is not for me. I have a wrong opinion.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to dealing with it. I respect you for that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Diabolik900 posted:

Yep. A lot of people struggle with season two on their first watch because the change of focus (and theme song) is so unexpected and jarring, but it is a strong contender for best season.

Season 2 is really where the show shows its hand IMO. Season 1 is great, but season 2 is where the show lets you know it's going to peel back a different layer each time.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

surf rock posted:

Alright, four episodes into season two:

- This rendition of the theme song is infinitely worse than season one.

gently caress you, but please keep posting these

Also yes, season 2 may be my favourite too. Sobotka gang forever.

And don't feel bad about not knowing who Sydnor was, I 100% confused him with Carver during season 1, and coulnd't keep the Barksdale enforcers straight until maybe my 2nd or 3rd watch.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 23, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
On my first watch I thought Sydnor was the guy in season 2 who kills D'Angelo. I was loving confused. :lol: The two guys just kinda look alike.

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 23, 2024

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

deoju posted:

On my first watch I thought Sydnor was the guy in season 2 who kills D'Angelo. I was loving confused. :lol: The two guys just kinda look alike.

I can definitely see the resemblance. That is an excusable error!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eason the Fifth posted:

If you don't like the voice try the first album where his voice isn't as broken yet, I liked that much more than the supposed classic ones

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

GoutPatrol posted:

If you don't like the voice try the first album where his voice isn't as broken yet, I liked that much more than the supposed classic ones
Seconding this. Closing Time is one of my most favorite albums ever, and "Ol' 55" is a helluva start to a recording career. And yeah, his voice was very different back then; if his voice is the only thing about his music that grates on you, at least give a sample of the old stuff a listen.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

christmas boots posted:

Season 2 is really where the show shows its hand IMO. Season 1 is great, but season 2 is where the show lets you know it's going to peel back a different layer each time.

This is well put.

Season 2 is where they immediately hit us in the face with how "all pieces matter" and let us know this is not just about drug dealing in poor neighborhoods.

S2 challenges us right away in the same vein where one of your favorite bands suddenly switches up their sound for their second album in ways that may initially put you off but, over time, becomes one you all time favorite records.

It's a grower for sure.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Having Tom Waits be on the drunk stevedore season is so good.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zenguitarman posted:

Having Tom Waits be on the drunk stevedore season is so good.

One of Tom Waits’ stories he tells in interviews is how he chaperoned a field trip for his kids’ school to some kind of museum of music. And absolutely nobody gave a single poo poo or even recognized him. He was just a generic dad who must smoke a lot.

But the next week they went to the junkyard, and he was greeted like a king.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Mr. Nemo posted:

And don't feel bad about not knowing who Sydnor was, I 100% confused him with Carver during season 1, and coulnd't keep the Barksdale enforcers straight until maybe my 2nd or 3rd watch.

It was probably easier for me to recognize Carver by name and face since he told Rico that "you kill Bugs good".

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Figured it's only right I post this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
if I ever have a body man, I'm going to insult him for not getting my Harper's even though I didn't tell him to get one

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You did not forget to tell him Harper's. Every week you tell him the same poo poo, and every week he forgets half of what you say.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Season two, episodes five through eight:

- Give me hours of Ziggy getting beat up or hosed with. He's like an early 20-something version of Paulie from the Rocky franchise. The Maui "fight" was extremely entertaining though.
- I'll also take as many Frank speeches rattling off presidents as you've got.
- It's very funny that Frank pulled a "I'm a brother to three sisters with daughters; I care about women" card and then immediately looked at Beadie expecting approval.
- Even still, I like Frank a lot. He's the only thing holding the port (and that new set of characters) together for me. I'm very worried for him.
- Poot sucks. I hate his name, I hated his lovely polo shirts in the first season, and I hate his wimp rear end.
- I love the degree to which Prez worships Freamon. Prez's reaction is so funny when he comes in and identifies Frank Sobotka right away.
- I get it, though. Freamon could convince me of anything.
- I said in my last post that it was fun to get the gang back together, and that's mostly true, but it also feels very silly. Also, I think Herc and Carver are major liabilities; I wouldn't want them on my task force. Speaking of, the second they put that bug in the tennis ball, I knew exactly what would happen.
- A sitcom about community college featuring serious student Stringer Bell as part of the ensemble would go pretty hard.
- I gotta say that Donette's actress doesn't impress me at all. She really underwhelms in an otherwise very strong cast. It was a relief when Dee got killed; I thought a lot of the weakest stuff this season was tied to him. The aftermath episode was also well done, I thought.
- How many people tried going to STREETDRUGS.BIZ when that aired?
- Could not have picked Bird out of a police lineup before episode six, but the way he boils over (gradually, then suddenly) at Omar's testimony and tries to leap over the table at him was so intense.
- A not-insignificant part of me was hoping that the episode eight opener was going to end with McNulty hitting that pillar straight-on. Such a loving sleaze. I can't stand drunk drivers.
- Bunk Moreland: just a humble motherfucker with a big-rear end dick. Also a sleaze, but at least the show doesn't try to make him the main character.
- Excellent casting on the Greek. I don't know how he manages to have that grandpa-like twinkle in his eye at certain moments and completely dead inside at others, but it's impressive.
- This show has the same writer(s) for all of it, right? I think so, but episode eight felt like a different writer, or a different director; it had like 4x as many comedy scenes as usual. I thought it was setting up a big shock moment or something at the end, but nope. Still, very curious to see what gets wrapped up this season and what's just set-up for future seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Omar's testimony at the Bird trial is so loving great. The way he waggles the tie he is "wearing", the complete ease with which he makes a mockery of and turns around Levy's attempts to paint him as a parasite, the joy he takes in watching Bird's fall. Just beautiful.

And yeah, Freamon walking back into the squad and immediately going,"Oh, that's Frank Sobotka" always cracks me up.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

surf rock posted:

Season two, episodes five through eight:

- Give me hours of Ziggy getting beat up or hosed with. He's like an early 20-something version of Paulie from the Rocky franchise. The Maui "fight" was extremely entertaining though.

Boy I really hope you haven't seen Generation Kill yet

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

surf rock posted:

- This show has the same writer(s) for all of it, right? I think so, but episode eight felt like a different writer, or a different director; it had like 4x as many comedy scenes as usual. I thought it was setting up a big shock moment or something at the end, but nope. Still, very curious to see what gets wrapped up this season and what's just set-up for future seasons.

Interesting observation,

Writer is George Pelecanos who wrote the greatest hour of the wire ever, in my humble opinion.

Director is Dan Attias who has done a lot of TV stuff and basically worked on every major show.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Calling Poot a wimp. In this thread? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I think about the scene where Nick and Amy go house shopping a lot; when his father was a young guy working at at the port, he was able to scrimp and save and get a home near the port where he could raise a family but 'now' (in 2003) that is never going to happen for Nick or anybody else trying to work the port.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think Poot comes off poorly because he's basically always paired with Bodie, who is an S-tier character/actor. It's always Bodie and this also-ran he hangs out with.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

IIRC, Poot's actor originally auditioned for Weebay, but they were so taken in by him they created the role of Poot even after Hassan got the role.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Reminder that Bodie hosed up shooting Wallace and Poot was the one who had to finish it, so let’s be clear about who comes in clutch

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Poot is canonically the man

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

(for an hour)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Imagine I found the gif of him standing on top of the orange couch

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

zenguitarman posted:

(for an hour)

lmao

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

just saying, no mass arrests occurred under his watch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Don't read if if you haven't finished the show.

Poot seeing Bodie get killed and going,"You know what, gently caress it... I'm out" and just going completely legit without any apparent desire to ever get involved back in "the game" again ruled. This is a guy who went to prison, got out and was right back on the corner immediately, a guy who was 100% committed to the life he chose but unlike so many others (Marlo!) was able to understand the point where he just had to stop.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Poot wins the series.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Levy's the only real winner

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And herc I guess but he might be too dumb to realize it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
I'd list out again all the ways Poot was the realest gangster in the entire show, but I don't have 2 hours to spare.

Its not a meme by the way, all the evidence was there, Poot was more hardcore than any of them.