Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm on level 250... gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Paladinus posted:

I'm on level 250... gently caress.

oh yeah soon you'll get super balls. Then extra starting balls from your butcher's gift and another extra ball from event rewards and suddenly you start every round with double balls and that's when they'll get you. You get a taste of knocking out 100 rounds in an hour and now you gotta just keep going.

(I'm on 3000 and only spent $1 on this game)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm scared.

E: My balls are augmented.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 23, 2024

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I'm 196 and am eager to play with balls in my near future.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Royal Match: Playing with all the balls.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Told my partner to check this thread to learn about the balls we don't have yet.

I assume the alternative is failing hard and often which seems okay for a game I'm picking up for short bursts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What do you all like about that royal match game? I picked it up and played a few levels and nothing seems super interesting about it - especially compared to YMBAB or the previous game (10000000 or whatever). Am I just spoiled by an actually good and unique matching game so now bejeweled clones seem boring?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I like it because it scratches the match 3 itch that has been unfulfilled for me in a while. I've gotten a bit burnt out on Merge Mayor so it scratches the simple game that's easy to whip out and the numbers go up and it gives me a dopamine drip. As you go a bit deeper in the levels, a bunch of other levers unlock that keep that dopamine dripping. It's a chill game with no predatory ad spam. If I want a complex game I open Slice and Dice.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
CIFI has been my android drug of choice since probably around July. It's a numbers go up game with layers like an onion. A few permanent no-ad purchases but otherwise you quickly outpace any advantage buying gems on the mtx market would get you. A 2x multiplier means jack when you're playing with numbers like 2.43e1154

The math is downright devious, which is mainly what keeps me playing. You always feel like you're one or two upgrades away from blowing the game wide open

E: someone please tell me this game has a crypto miner in it or something so I can finally put it down

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 23, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Arms_Akimbo posted:

CIFI has been my android drug of choice since probably around July. It's a numbers go up game with layers like an onion. A few permanent no-ad purchases but otherwise you quickly outpace any advantage buying gems on the mtx market would get you. A 2x multiplier means jack when you're playing with numbers like 2.43e1154

The math is downright devious, which is mainly what keeps me playing. You always feel like you're one or two upgrades away from blowing the game wide open

E: someone please tell me this game has a crypto miner in it or something so I can finally put it down

Well, if it helps, I read a thing the other day, I think it was from Tumblr, that says to avoid games that focus on extrinsic rewards and go for those that have intrinsic rewards.

The difference is that a game with intrinsic rewards basically means that the gameplay is fun enough as its own reward. A game with extrinsic rewards is where you do something that's not really fun or engaging just to get something mostly if not completely unrelated to gameplay itself.

Playing games focused on extrinsic rewards can actually lead to depression. :eng101:

Edit: found it! I was close, but not exact. This is the kind of poo poo that keeps me away from Egg Inc or any other clicker now. Wish I'd known about this years ago, as that game was actually making me feel like poo poo and I didn't realize it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 24, 2024

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Buriedborne's next patch is going to balance the early game a bit better. Wasp will no longer be getting 150% evade on floor 1.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Shwqa posted:

Buriedborne's next patch is going to balance the early game a bit better. Wasp will no longer be getting 150% evade on floor 1.

Well good, it's not like the default loadout is the one that rewards you for trying to use low accuracy moves, right?

... right?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, if it helps, I read a thing the other day, I think it was from Tumblr, that says to avoid games that focus on extrinsic rewards and go for those that have intrinsic rewards.

The difference is that a game with intrinsic rewards basically means that the gameplay is fun enough as its own reward. A game with extrinsic rewards is where you do something that's not really fun or engaging just to get something mostly if not completely unrelated to gameplay itself.

Playing games focused on extrinsic rewards can actually lead to depression. :eng101:

Edit: found it! I was close, but not exact. This is the kind of poo poo that keeps me away from Egg Inc or any other clicker now. Wish I'd known about this years ago, as that game was actually making me feel like poo poo and I didn't realize it.

This was awesome and is helping me evaluate what games actually spark joy as games. I've definitely sunk too much time into things that I'm just doing the hamster wheel because rewards.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think this is pretty heavily dependent on the person and the game. Those kinds of systems are there to keep you playing the game, not to get you started. It's the mechanisms that make you keep playing even after the game stops being fun that are problematic. But, at the same time, trying to optimize play to get those kinds of rewards can be it's own form of intrinsic gameplay, such as in cases like clicker or Idle games where it's not a matter of if you are going to get the prize, but how long it will take to get there.

It's also not limited to lootboxes or other mechanisms like that either. I played WoW long after it stopped being fun when I was younger just through a mixture of social pressure and sheer sunk cost fallacy.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

this is the difference between the 2 styles of incrementals out there. one exists to give shiny without fundamentally changing anything from game state to game state, the mobile space is infested with them with the idea that the need to see the next shiny is worth spending for it. others are focused on the various systems and the interactions derived from that encouraging you to optimize or plan and understand the mechanics while also introducing more systems and interactions to build complexity.

the former fits rather neatly into your extrinsic definition imo while games like CIFI do offer various layering systems as you get deeper that increase complexity and provide some good rear end thinking for my ND brain which i think fits them into intrinsic. CIFI still has some eugh design but that's mobile, they are encouraged to make you keep your screen on with the game open as much as possible for store stat padding.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I just tried buriedbornes 1 and it's a lot of fun. Should I play 2 instead or do 1 first?

Also it wasn't till the end of my first run that I realized the game is not called buriedbones

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Resdfru posted:

I just tried buriedbornes 1 and it's a lot of fun. Should I play 2 instead or do 1 first?

Also it wasn't till the end of my first run that I realized the game is not called buriedbones

It...it isn't? poo poo, I had to check but you're right. But it's about corpses being animated to go around fighting people!

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Royal Match is just a nice way to kill time. I like watching stuff blow up while waiting for a Tarkov raid. The lack of ads is wild.

As an added bonus, my nephew woke up in the middle of the night and he wouldn't go back to sleep. My sister was super out of patience so I laid with him and started playing Royal Match on my phone. He chilled out, watched me play and fell asleep 10 minutes later. He was inconsolable before that.

Edit: is there a goon team? I joined one that's definitely goons but there's 2 in here and they haven't been online at all so

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 24, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cerepol posted:

this is the difference between the 2 styles of incrementals out there. one exists to give shiny without fundamentally changing anything from game state to game state, the mobile space is infested with them with the idea that the need to see the next shiny is worth spending for it. others are focused on the various systems and the interactions derived from that encouraging you to optimize or plan and understand the mechanics while also introducing more systems and interactions to build complexity.

the former fits rather neatly into your extrinsic definition imo while games like CIFI do offer various layering systems as you get deeper that increase complexity and provide some good rear end thinking for my ND brain which i think fits them into intrinsic. CIFI still has some eugh design but that's mobile, they are encouraged to make you keep your screen on with the game open as much as possible for store stat padding.

Absolutely; along with the post above yours, I get that. Some of the 'numbers go up' games actually have mechanics in them that are engaging and fun, as abstract as that concept tends to be. Generally, though, the grind, or lack of engaging gameplay, can lead to that empty feeling, or at least it does for me.

That might be why I hate MOBAs; they come across as overly complicated tugs of war.

I loving hate tug of war, always have. :colbert:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

I'm definitely gonna let this sit in the back of my mind, thanks

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
In buriedbones 1 sometimes my skills get cooldowns randomly. At first I thought it ws some sort of autoplay I missed but looking at the log I think maybe it's cause I'm confused? Also sometimes my stuff takes longer, I guess I got a speed debuff?

Also, sorry to ask again, should I switch to 2? Is it better in every way or I should keep playing 1 then do 2. Doesn't seem to have a story really, at least not yet but that's why I'm asking

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Resdfru posted:

In buriedbones 1 sometimes my skills get cooldowns randomly. At first I thought it ws some sort of autoplay I missed but looking at the log I think maybe it's cause I'm confused? Also sometimes my stuff takes longer, I guess I got a speed debuff?

Also, sorry to ask again, should I switch to 2? Is it better in every way or I should keep playing 1 then do 2. Doesn't seem to have a story really, at least not yet but that's why I'm asking

1 has a "story" that's only really told through the very occasional event, or the text you get after beating fixed bosses that show up every X floors in each dungeon. You definitely don't have to have played 1 to understand 2.

Since 2 just released, and 1 has been out for a while, 1 feels a little better tuned and balanced at the moment. 2 has a few interesting mechanics going for it, seems to be generally a bit more user-friendly in terms of in game documentation, and either way you're likely to get murdered by some Nonsense 30 minutes into a run, as is the buriedbornes way. I'd say play 2 just because it's the new hotness and people are actively talking about it in here.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Matthewmatosis did a great video about this.

https://youtu.be/5NC0sW-t6oY?si=ZGLTSaMTwAh22YhA

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Buriedbornes 2 chat - in the previous game, I was used to looking to get duplicates of a skill to merge them and increase their rank. That system is Gone, right? If I want anything more than like, +2/+3 I'm really going to need to optimize the various tools I have to boost skill level?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Warcraft Rumble just started season 3 and there is a new Leader - Emperor Thaurissan: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/warcraftrumble/24056175/warcraft-rumble-season-3-overview

The goon crew will probably have him unlocked in the next few days.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

death cob for cutie posted:

Buriedbornes 2 chat - in the previous game, I was used to looking to get duplicates of a skill to merge them and increase their rank. That system is Gone, right? If I want anything more than like, +2/+3 I'm really going to need to optimize the various tools I have to boost skill level?

Tangentially, is there any benefit to higher leveled skills aside from more rune slots? I hardly use runes tbh, so I basically quit fishing for skills a few floors into the dungeon.

Also, is there anything after hell?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Eat The Rich posted:

Royal Match is just a nice way to kill time. I like watching stuff blow up while waiting for a Tarkov raid. The lack of ads is wild.

As an added bonus, my nephew woke up in the middle of the night and he wouldn't go back to sleep. My sister was super out of patience so I laid with him and started playing Royal Match on my phone. He chilled out, watched me play and fell asleep 10 minutes later. He was inconsolable before that.

Edit: is there a goon team? I joined one that's definitely goons but there's 2 in here and they haven't been online at all so

What's the name? I've just unlocked teams myself.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Tangentially, is there any benefit to higher leveled skills aside from more rune slots? I hardly use runes tbh, so I basically quit fishing for skills a few floors into the dungeon.

Also, is there anything after hell?

It goes Hell, Ruins, Forest, Pandemonium. Pandy is where you fight the Ancient King. Beyond that, there is Battlefield, but that has an imaginary UNDER CONSTRUCTION fence around it for now when you try to enter.

As far as runes go, there are many of them that I have never used. Almost all of the Auto: ones, for instance, I have left alone. I have seen suggestions that you can make a funky build with Auto:Free pairing a bunch of skills with your Backstep, but I've barely scratched their surface. Some that I do use include Critical (especially with the current-hotness Executioner builds, where crits lead to eating hp stacks), Power (more skill power is rarely bad), Quicker (making a skill Quick), Speed (reducing a skill's cooldown), Break (reduce enemy's Bravery on use) and Supply (more remaining uses).

Now, keep in mind that if you're playing as an Elf, they start with Genius (skills with no runes get double skill power), so think about what you're putting runes on and why.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Resdfru posted:

It has been a long time since I played 1 but that is how stun and bunch of other status effects work in 2

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Auto triggered skills also ignore their normal cooldown so if you set up summons with an easy trigger effect you could, barring status and enemy action, spam them every turn.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

q_k posted:

Auto triggered skills also ignore their normal cooldown so if you set up summons with an easy trigger effect you could, barring status and enemy action, spam them every turn.

They also bypass cost and make the skill only cost 1. The auto runes are pretty busted. It is just that elf executioner is even more busted.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

victorious posted:

What's the name? I've just unlocked teams myself.

I was a pain in the neck to find. They're still inactive so I went ahead and made a new one called LLJK. Should be the only one that shows up.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Eat The Rich posted:

I was a pain in the neck to find. They're still inactive so I went ahead and made a new one called LLJK. Should be the only one that shows up.

Nice, joined as VVV.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Battlefield mode in BB2 is now open... and it's hilarious.

It's an all-PvP dungeon; you send in one of your corpses from the graveyard and every zone is a rose icon, where you battle someone else's character.

So it's an endless wave of Elf Executioners, spamming evasion and attacks along with you until someone gets a hit in.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

delfin posted:

Battlefield mode in BB2 is now open... and it's hilarious.

It's an all-PvP dungeon; you send in one of your corpses from the graveyard and every zone is a rose icon, where you battle someone else's character.

So it's an endless wave of Elf Executioners, spamming evasion and attacks along with you until someone gets a hit in.

Lol. Oh man.

They released a player survey about races, classes, and balance, hopefully they sort out how uneven things are soon.

I still don't even understand how caterpillars are supposed to work

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

They did increase gold rewards as well. Now entering a dungeon X amount of times is a gold reward quest. Big rewards too like 100 and 200 gold.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
So a one-off dungeon popped up today for me, Pride. Deeper than Pandemonium, full of some frightening-rear end creatures, and my Executioner trudged his way to the end of it.

The boss uses Mirror Shape repeatedly, has about 25K hit points, is next to impossible to damage when mirroring you, and heals for 50K on a regular basis. Even though I lost, I got a new keystone out of it.

(Keystones start dropping once you've beaten the Ancient King. They extend a dungeon by a certain number of floors, while applying a penalty. So far I have +5 floors / -15% experience, +2 floors / no fleeing from combat, +4 floors / permanent Confusion as 1* keystones, and +9 floors / you can't gain shields as my first 2*.)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Eat The Rich posted:

Joined up. Same name as here.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Man, Royal Match kind of sucks when you run out of resources. I'm completely stuck on level 89, no lives, no gold to buy continues, no boosts, no Butler bonus thing. Just waiting 30 mins every time for a single chance at a really hard level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I spend cash on Royal Match :'(