Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

live with fruit posted:

I looked it up and Jones ended up playing in Japan for two years and attempted a comeback in 2016. Strange behavior for a guy who didn't care.

I don't particularly care about my job, but the paychecks are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Are we sure Jones wasn't actually injured?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Is there a good analog for a HoF player who fell as hard and fast as Jones? Minus debilitating injuries that is.

Overall WAR went from 5.6 > 3.0 > -1.6 and never recovered above 2. Defense went 2.2 > -0.5.

What other Hall of Famers collapsed so completely and quickly? Or are there a bunch that did this kind of thing at like age 38+ ?

Miguel Cabrera?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't particularly care about my job, but the paychecks are nice.

I'm going to guess that you're not a hundred millionaire.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

live with fruit posted:

Are we sure Jones wasn't actually injured?

He was, he had a knee problem (which could have come from him being fat as poo poo.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Well that depends on how old you think Albert Pujols really is
Pujols' decline was more gradual and not really atypical.

5.3 > 4.8 > 1.6 (99 games, injury) > 3.9 > 3.0 > 1.5 > then things got rough

You got an injury there presaging the decline, then a couple bounce-back years after that, then he faded.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Pujols' decline was more gradual and not really atypical.

5.3 > 4.8 > 1.6 (99 games, injury) > 3.9 > 3.0 > 1.5 > then things got rough

You got an injury there presaging the decline, then a couple bounce-back years after that, then he faded.

Also, he was really good for the Dodgers.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Is there a good analog for a HoF player who fell as hard and fast as Jones?

You're all going to hate me for making this joke but Roberto Clemente

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The story of Andruw’s career, from 1996 to the present day, is that people expected Willie Mays and declared him a disappointment when they didn’t get it. But you can’t judge players on what you wish they were

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah that's pretty close:

5.1 > 4.9 > 5.1. > -0.9 and then never higher than 0.2 (woof!)

Of course, he got to nearly 70 WAR before that and also held on long enough to reach 3000 hits and 500 HR. Also won 2 MVP's, even if they both should have belonged to Mike Trout.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bravesword posted:

The story of Andruw’s career, from 1996 to the present day, is that people expected Willie Mays and declared him a disappointment when they didn’t get it. But you can’t judge players on what you wish they were
If that's what people expected, it was a pretty dumb expectation. Through age 29:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Yeah that's pretty close:

5.1 > 4.9 > 5.1. > -0.9 and then never higher than 0.2 (woof!)

Of course, he got to nearly 70 WAR before that and also held on long enough to reach 3000 hits and 500 HR. Also won 2 MVP's, even if they both should have belonged to Mike Trout.

Griffey Jr. also, though his peak is bananas.

An entire decade of being injured/dogshit and people hoping he'd be The Kid again.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

If that's what people expected, it was a pretty dumb expectation. Through age 29:

This does a good job of illustrating that people probably don't appreciate what Jones did so well.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

This does a good job of illustrating that people probably don't appreciate what Jones did so well.
If anything people have swung to the other extreme on Jones. The line on him is "elite CF defense plus a lot of home runs!" which gives the impression of a well-rounded player, but I'd argue his peak was elite at one thing (defense) and otherwise his game was above average but not exceptional.

Yes his CF defense in his 20's was maybe the best ever. But the HR totals are inflated by the era, his offensive game wasn't all that well-rounded or exceptional for the time, hence the 116 OPS+ during his prime. The column to the left of defense there is baserunning, where you can see Mays stands out. Mays also hit for higher average and got on base more, along with a higher ISO despite fewer HR because of the era and ballparks he played in.

Willie Mays is the gold standard for extremely well-rounded players, with Trout the modern equivalent. Andruw Jones was far less well rounded but because of his skillset and context, people thought he was Mays-like.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"Jones' home run numbers were inflated by his era" is a weird argument to make when the jumping off point was that admitted-juicer Gary Sheffield should be in the Hall.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

Is there a good analog for a HoF player who fell as hard and fast as Jones? Minus debilitating injuries that is.

Overall WAR went from 5.6 > 3.0 > -1.6 and never recovered above 2. Defense went 2.2 > -0.5.

What other Hall of Famers collapsed so completely and quickly? Or are there a bunch that did this kind of thing at like age 38+ ?

Ask mdemone :v:

e: well what had been a potential hall of fame track anyway. just wanted to force in a Rendon joke :shobon:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 23, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

"Jones' home run numbers were inflated by his era" is a weird argument to make when the jumping off point was that admitted-juicer Gary Sheffield should be in the Hall.
The Gary Sheffield comp is David Ortiz and that post will have to wait until I have some more time later this evening. Sheffield was a FAR more well-rounded hitter than Jones, his case relies on more than just HR totals. Sheffield also of course has the longevity.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 23, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

WAR criminals

If only they went by war !!!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Andruw Jones is better than Chase Utley. Both should be in the hall.

Gary Sheffield was better than both of them

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

The Gary Sheffield comp is David Ortiz and that post will have to wait until I have some more time later this evening. Sheffield was a FAR more well-rounded hitter than Jones, his case relies on more than just HR totals.

Ortiz is only in the Hall of Fame because he was the face of the Red Sox during their best ever era. If he spent his entire career in Minnesota, he's not in.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ortiz walking off games 4 and 5 got him in

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://x.com/Cut4/status/1749887147417522233?s=20

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It was sort of similar to Bryce Harper, although Harper at his best was way better. You had this young guy who was so young and just infinitely talented, all the tools you could ask for and hanging with major leaguers as a teenager, so there was this expectation of “if he’s this good now…”

Like there was going to be this linear progression of improvement and eventually they’d reach heights that only legends got to

But then they had a more normal career shape with peaks and valleys, so a lot of the people who were hoping they would rewrite the record books sneered that they were overhyped, even though the players they actually became were still really good

That expectation from when they were very young and all potential overshadowed the reality of their respective careers

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

live with fruit posted:

Ortiz is only in the Hall of Fame because he was the face of the Red Sox during their best ever era. If he spent his entire career in Minnesota, he's not in.

Ya this has always been my feeling

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bryce putting up a 10 WAR season at 22 years old set way too high an expectation for even a superstar career

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

come on Todd Helton :ohdear:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LAT laid off 25% of its newsroom today, including the Dodgers beat writer?

https://twitter.com/ByJackHarris/status/1749881785167605997

Kinda feel like you can't fire your hometown beat guys. Oh well, it's not like the Dodgers have anything notable or exciting going on right now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Gallo has landed:

https://twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/1749881651964805199

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's ok AI will be writing the articles now

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Good fit for him. Seems like a possible deadline deal if he's playing well and if not he's not killing a playoff run

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I like the implication that striking out and hitting for a low average are terms of the deal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe this year Joey chokes up and hits for average, you don't know he won't Mark

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

LAT laid off 25% of its newsroom today, including the Dodgers beat writer?

https://twitter.com/ByJackHarris/status/1749881785167605997

Kinda feel like you can't fire your hometown beat guys. Oh well, it's not like the Dodgers have anything notable or exciting going on right now.
yeah the paper is in the process of committing private equity suicide at this point

Last year they sold off their printers so they were no longer able to publish the previous day’s game results the next morning, at that point why bother having a beat writer either?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 23, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's industry-wide, I don't know if any dailies still own their own print shops anymore.

e: NYT does

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wish the Phillies were paying castellanos 5 million for one year

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Almost every industry is currently cramming as many layoffs as they can into this quarter. But yeah media is getting particularly decisive with it, NYT also laid off a ton of staff including their entire sports desk and SI fired literally everybody and is presumably just going to run with lightly edited AI articles going forward.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not every industry, overall UE/layoffs are really low. But tech and media are getting wrecked. Media's been getting wrecked since the early '00s. No one can figure out how to monetize online news to the degree that it can support living wages and competitive benefits for a newsroom of professional journalists.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My Defector subscription remains some of the best money I spend each year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“”AI”” can’t actual do reporting so eventually it will all collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Not every industry, overall UE/layoffs are really low. But tech and media are getting wrecked. Media's been getting wrecked since the early '00s. No one can figure out how to monetize online news to the degree that it can support living wages and competitive benefits for a newsroom of professional journalists.

Yeah fair I exaggerated a bit. Tech also has a bunch of really bad sounding headlines but overall employment is still up relative to <2020 levels. Tech companies went on absolutely insane hiring sprees during the pandemic and have been slowly but surely whittling back down.

Also the way to monetize online news is for the platforms sharing and advertising next to it like FB, Twitter, Google, etc to pay a commission for getting to share that news content and for ad revenue taken in on pages where news is loaded/linked, but obviously this is a hill those companies are actually willing to die on to make sure that never happens. EU and Australia have tried this route a couple times and the response from Google, et al has been "we would rather just stop showing all online news than have to pay to show it."