Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Klungar posted:

Case of the Golden Idol can get a bit macabre, but probably not anything a 9 year old couldn't handle. And of course you have stuff like Monkey Island and the other Lucasarts point-and-click adventures.

Case of the Golden Idol was a hit, thanks! We are on the 4th case now and she is enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Steam Deck is a real conversation starter. So far I haven't seen another one in the wild but get a lot of curious people at work asking about it. "It's like a Nintendo switch" is the easiest explanation for luddites that know nothing of Steam or PC master race business.

The one good thing is that if I ever misplaced it at work everyone would immediately know "oh that's Panfilos Gametendo machine he's always playing on during his breaks, call him up on the radio and let him know we found his boy".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sigher posted:

The Sexy Brutale is one of my favorite puzzlers, though it deals with a lot of cartoony murder.

It also has the one of the worst names in the history of gaming and I wouldn’t want to have a 9 year old playing it because the second they mention it at school people are going to be “what the gently caress

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

good point. I don't allow my children to see vulgarity such as "s*xy" or "h*t" and I've certainly never heard anyone using that kind of language on a playground

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

good point. I don't allow my children to see vulgarity such as "s*xy" or "h*t" and I've certainly never heard anyone using that kind of language on a playground

I thought you weren't allowed within 500 feet of a playground?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Chin Strap posted:

Case of the Golden Idol was a hit, thanks! We are on the 4th case now and she is enjoying it.

Glad you two are liking it! Chants of Sennaar was my favorite puzzler from last year, but I'm not sure how a 9 year old would necessarily handle language/grammar-based translation puzzles.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Chin Strap posted:

I know you mentioned that Portal may be too much right now due to controls, but maybe try a Sam & Max game after Golden Idol for the humor, puzzles, and especially controls (the modern ones use WASD/controller for movement). And after she will probably be eased in to try a Portal game.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I started up emulation station and it crashed displaying the “loading all games” progress bar. I loaded it again and found that every PS1 iso on my SD card was deleted. Can’t tell if it’s something I’ve done, a bug in emulation station, or the media was corrupted. This poo poo’s all backed up anyway on MS Onedrive.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

get the humongous entertainment bundle

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Coffee Jones posted:

I started up emulation station and it crashed displaying the “loading all games” progress bar. I loaded it again and found that every PS1 iso on my SD card was deleted. Can’t tell if it’s something I’ve done, a bug in emulation station, or the media was corrupted. This poo poo’s all backed up anyway on MS Onedrive.

Hope the memory card files are okay. How much do you pay to keep your PS1 ISOs on OneDrive?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

baram. posted:

get the humongous entertainment bundle

I did those with her a lot younger. I think they wouldn't hold her interest now.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

I know you mentioned that Portal may be too much right now due to controls, but maybe try a Sam & Max game after Golden Idol for the humor, puzzles, and especially controls (the modern ones use WASD/controller for movement). And after she will probably be eased in to try a Portal game.

You know what, I'm wrong about Portal being too much, she completed It Takes Two with me no problem (as Meg which is a little more forgiving in terms of timing but not much), so she probably would like Portal.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Chin Strap posted:

Just finished Cocoon on Deck with my 9 YO daughter. We kind of took turns controlling and discussed puzzles together. It was great but over too quickly.

Patrick's Parabox if you liked Cocoon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If your game has a name where people are going to ask you "Is that a... Sex game?" You have named the game poorly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that question should be asked of basically any game, tbqh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I don’t play pervert games so I never think that

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I've just finished GTA3 on Deck and boy that game's jank as gently caress. Made wonders for my nostalgia.

Vice City is even better than I remember.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vic posted:

I've just finished GTA3 on Deck and boy that game's jank as gently caress. Made wonders for my nostalgia.

Vice City is even better than I remember.

Was it the remastered version or the older one?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don’t play pervert games so I never think that

that sucks, sorry

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Heran Bago posted:

Hope the memory card files are okay. How much do you pay to keep your PS1 ISOs on OneDrive?
gone baby gone.

I'm using the family plan split with my 'lil bro who's using it for the office 365 capabilities.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/onedrive/compare-onedrive-plans

The idea for onedrive was that I kept losing rom and game save archives over the (ah poo poo...) decades we've been doing this.
So it's nice to have a new install of windows, log in to OneDrive, have it mount in the c:\Users\myUser directory. Double click snes9x.exe, open Terranigma.sfc and see game saves from the PS2 era from within the game, all roms downloaded on demand, all saves and save state files uploaded as they're created, and seamless to any emulators.

Except there's no such OneDrive client for Linux that integrates as well as windows. Big surprise. (Also - I think I've hosed around with setting up emulators and mapping buttons for one lifetime.) Any new rom hacks / isos are uploaded to onedrive and I just zip up all the save files directory on the EmuDeck and stick it on one drive.

BTW the Steamdeck BIN/CUE + ISO -> CHD compressor tool is awesome. Gamecube and PSP isos have special formats, and PS1 games sometimes come as Bin/Cue, which Emulation Station handles poorly

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If your game has a name where people are going to ask you "Is that a... Sex game?" You have named the game poorly.

Might I recommend Stephen's Sausage Roll? :quagmire:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I got emudeck working and it's loaded with 135 games. Most work no problem. I'm having issues with a few though. One is the mario bros arcade game and the others are the marvel capcom fighting games. First I tried getting those to work on mame and then I tried getting them to work on sega saturn, ps1, dreamcast and ps2. But I can't get any of those to boot. Has anyone had any experience getting those games to work?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Another issue I had with emudeck - I try to get the deckycontrols plugin to work but it won't install. No idea how to get that to work but I would like to.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
If you haven't installed the bios files into the right directory none of the consoles that require them will work. Luckily, EmuDeck's desktop app has a launcher for a little utility that will check if the bioses are installed and configured. EmuDeck people did a Good Job in removing most of the fiddly parts.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Coffee Jones posted:

If you haven't installed the bios files into the right directory none of the consoles that require them will work. Luckily, EmuDeck's desktop app has a launcher for a little utility that will check if the bioses are installed and configured. EmuDeck people did a Good Job in removing most of the fiddly parts.

I got that working. The only bio I don't have is the one for switch and it says the dreamcast one doesnt show up but I put those in there. I'm going to try downloading mame standalone and using an alt emulator through emulation station I saw in a video to see if that works.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shard posted:

I got that working. The only bio I don't have is the one for switch and it says the dreamcast one doesnt show up but I put those in there. I'm going to try downloading mame standalone and using an alt emulator through emulation station I saw in a video to see if that works.

If you aren’t in the goondeck discord already, you may find a lot of help there that can be more explicit than the forum’s rules around piracy permit.

https://discord.com/channels/988548614894805032/988549016709120072 might work? I can’t figure out how to get a server invite link from mobile, sorry

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

MarcusSA posted:

Was it the remastered version or the older one?

Original. Works out of the box (steam, v1.1). Game's pretty charmless, the missions forgettable and annoying, there's no map and the cars will explode way too easy. The map thing wouldn't be bad if the missions and map design wasn't trying to gently caress you over so many times later in the game.

And as you progress the game you piss off more and more gangs which makes 2/3rds of the map lethal to explore. Playing with Gyro mouse aiming makes for a cool control scheme that allows you to clown on the game's combat.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Shard posted:

I got emudeck working and it's loaded with 135 games. Most work no problem. I'm having issues with a few though. One is the mario bros arcade game and the others are the marvel capcom fighting games. First I tried getting those to work on mame and then I tried getting them to work on sega saturn, ps1, dreamcast and ps2. But I can't get any of those to boot. Has anyone had any experience getting those games to work?

Many arcade rom dumps are just plain bad/corrupted so look for other sources if the game doesn't boot (obv we cannot name where to find them here). You'll notice the file sizes will be slightly different from different sources if the one you have doesn't work.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Subjunctive posted:

If you aren’t in the goondeck discord already, you may find a lot of help there that can be more explicit than the forum’s rules around piracy permit.

https://discord.com/channels/988548614894805032/988549016709120072 might work? I can’t figure out how to get a server invite link from mobile, sorry

I'd love an invite please. You tap the discord server name in the top left then tap the invite button.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rosalind posted:

I'd love an invite pleas. You tap the discord server name in the top left then tap the invite button.

I thought this too, but alas no such option appears on iOS. I’ll try to remember to do it from desktop tonight if nobody beats me to it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

You don't have permission to invite people probably.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve been very well-behaved!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Rosalind posted:

I'd love an invite please. You tap the discord server name in the top left then tap the invite button.

Second link in the OP.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not quite the right thread for this but i figured you guys would know: my microwave stopped making things warm should i inhale this new smell that seems to be coming from it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't think microwaves have vents so I would say no, we only sniff vents around here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

I don't think microwaves have vents so I would say no, we only sniff vents around here.

Microwaves have vents

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MarcusSA posted:

Microwaves have vents

Yeah they vent at you for paragraphs if you bring up their mom.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:sbahj:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Lmao nice

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What would be the best way to put Plex (the media player) on the steamdeck? I have originally used the flatpak first, but the controls via a ps4 bluetooth controller seems iffy. I then tried it with the emudeck method but it also doesn't seem entirely ideal (and still has the controls issue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Are you trying to run a Plex server off your Deck?

You only need the Plex software to run the server. If you're trying access a server you can just use the web browser.

Android, and I assume iOS, have clients, but you shouldn't need that on the Deck since it's literally just a laptop minus the lap bit.