Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

theyre missing the real meaning of his nomination in that if it werent for his performance people frankly wouldnt have liked it or remembered it as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Office Space is 89, also Phone Booth is also 82 I think

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Poor Things was the better girlboss movie this year by a mile.

But it had sex in it, so millennials will never admit to watching it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dont care

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Weembles posted:

Poor Things was the better girlboss movie this year by a mile.

really doesn't speak well of Barbie tbh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

point_up

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Duck Soup (68 minutes, owns)

most of the early Marx Brothers films are pretty brisk in this way, and they do in fact own

can't recommend most of the later ones, because they've got more extraneous garbage added and it's increasingly clear that the boys themselves are tired and checked tf out. Not that they don't each have at least one bright spot, but that's what video clips on the Internet are for

I think my personal favorites are either Horse Feathers or Monkey Business. They're both real "all killer, no filler" features if you like the Marxes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Remember 2018's Oscar Winning Best Film Green Book. Lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i've been breezing through the marx bros movies lately, had only seen Duck Soup and A Night At the Opera before. essential viewing for wiseasses.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Justin Tyme posted:

so many long as gently caress movies these days so i post the thread a question: what is the best, shortest, but still feature length theatrical release movie?

Man with a Movie Camera

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

In Training posted:

remember 2021's Best Picture winner, CODA? that's okay, neither does anyone else

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

remember 2021's Best Picture winner, CODA? that's okay, neither does anyone else

not true, my cousin's wife is hard of hearing and she was very happy about this movie she's never seen winning

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In Training posted:

The average age of an Academy voter in 2014 was 63 which makes this make more sense

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

In Training posted:

The end credits song was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_96bgvIDlM

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

not true, my cousin's wife is hard of hearing and she was very happy about this movie she's never seen winning

nobody has seen it! it was groundbreaking not just for disability visibility but also for being our first vaporware Best Picture winner!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

In Training posted:

Green Blech

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nonsense posted:

Netflix is paying WWE $5 billion dollars to air RAW lol

Nooooo. Peacock being the home of wrestling ruled

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the funniest part of Green Book is that it was by one of the Farrelly bros, it always takes me a minute to remember that

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my wife and i tried to watch this via streaming whenever it came out, but there was a glitch or something where it wasn't showing any captions

we were both like "well it's an interesting choice to do a movie about deaf people and not caption any of the ASL, but also it's really boring" and turned it off after about 5-10 minutes

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

CODA was remarkably bland for an oscar winner. picks like Crash and Green Book at least make sense in that i can believe old rich people might think is Important. CODA was more like an above average ABC Family movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

CODA was remarkably bland for an oscar winner.

again, i feel like people are misunderstanding what the oscars are about

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They're about showcasing the absolute best film of the year, you've been very clear about that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

docbeard posted:

They're about showcasing the absolute best film of the year, you've been very clear about that.

no! no!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah everyone knows it's an industry popularity contest, but when you give out a label on your awards that says "Best Picture of the Year" that means people are gonna nitpick

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Killers of the Flower Moon will sweep because Martin is very old and will die soon

nah it's gonna be oppenheimer's night, kotfm will prob just pick up best actress and maybe costume design

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Oppenheimer is a movie about Hollywood making Nolan their bitch so it would be extra funny for them to make the big awards ceremony scene at the end of the movie real for him and bring it full circle

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah everyone knows it's an industry popularity contest, but when you give out a label on your awards that says "Best Picture of the Year" that means people are gonna nitpick

You still don’t get it. It’s not a popularity contest, it’s an award for the most middlebrow movie of the year. How tf would CODA win a popularity contest lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training posted:

its asking the real question, did italians have it worse than african americans?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You still don’t get it. It’s not a popularity contest, it’s an award for the most middlebrow movie of the year. How tf would CODA win a popularity contest lol

i'm going to kill you

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
a lot of y'all still don't get it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm going to kill you

take my life, please!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When the cast of CODA all went to the Whitehouse I knew that year was rigged the same way as the 2020 primaries.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CODA is a movie about an impressionable youth being led into a bad educational/career choice by a charismatic authority figure because she isn't getting enough encouragement in her hobbies at home. What is she going to do at Berklee? She has no prior musical training. Even if she graduates, what is she going to do with a degree in singing? She doesn't even play an instrument! She should help her family run the co-op and sing in a dive bar band on weekends imo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the scene where she passes the Berklee entrance exam despite not having any grounding in musical theory because she sang a song really good had me cringing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

wait not that i’m admitting CODA is a real movie, but does it really encourage kids to go to Berklee school of music? Evil

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

loquacius posted:

...Piers Morgan? :thunk:
He was gloating

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loquacius posted:

CODA is a movie about an impressionable youth being led into a bad educational/career choice by a charismatic authority figure because she isn't getting enough encouragement in her hobbies at home. What is she going to do at Berklee? She has no prior musical training. Even if she graduates, what is she going to do with a degree in singing? She doesn't even play an instrument! She should help her family run the co-op and sing in a dive bar band on weekends imo

It's a very mundane take (because it's true) but it's wild how her deaf family is a million times more interesting, movie should have been about them and their fishing business.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a lot of y'all still don't get it

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Also why would you award someone for being a normal woman? Margot acted harder in The Suicide Squad.

Gosling took the part he was given and owned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Hobbit will finally win the write-in vote this year.