Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Almost a pity that the Venture Bros writers probably only have a passing familiarity with anime, given the most references we get are Ro-boy (to be fair a bit of a deep cut to riff on Astro Boy's... interesting features) and Driver X almost certainly being a reference to Racer X. (As well as The Stig) Char is absolutely the kind of archetype they'd have fun riffing on.

I'd think the megazord Jay-Jay and family wielded counts as anime-adjecent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Voltron is normie core compared to the deep cuts they took from music and tv

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I cannot count the amount of esoteric art and music trivia I learned just by looking up Venture Bros references.

My favorite is still the Doom Factory. :allears:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

AlternateNu posted:

I cannot count the amount of esoteric art and music trivia I learned just by looking up Venture Bros references.

My favorite is still the Doom Factory. :allears:

"He's finally here and he brought Eno"
"How do you know?"
"Here comes the warm jets."

Just tons of neat trivia and callouts.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://mantiseye.com/ was such a good resource for little tidbits in episodes but i think the guy grew up and lost interest/time to keep up to date.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Bros!

quote:

HOT DOLPHIN! The spirit of Venture Bros Lives on in the new year!

Mark your calendars, alert your allies, because JANUARY 18TH AT NOON, limited quantities of Venture Bros DVDs and Blurays will be going on sale --- and holy smokes, they're autographed by the creators themselves!

Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer put an actual pen to paper and marked these babies with their signature signatures.

We know you've got some extra holiday money creeping around, so leave your needless shame at the door, and get these COLLECTORS ITEMS before they sell out!

RESTOCK: It's the perfect day for a wardrobe refresh featuring your favorite Venture Bros. swag, re-stocked and re-loaded. Venture Industries has perfected their cloning technology to produce carbon copies of their most popular shirts to date. Order quickly while supplies still last!

CHIRP.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
well chirp indeed

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Nice. I managed to get some checked out before they sold out. Just wish they would make more figures or literally anything besides more shirts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
gently caress I forgot that was today.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I like that they sent the email out for it three hours after everything had already sold out lol

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I like that they sent the email out for it three hours after everything had already sold out lol

Technically, it was 4 minutes after they sold out because the "noon" time was Pacific time, and they never made that clear in the e-mail, but I figured since Titmouse is based in LA.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SyRauk posted:

Technically, it was 4 minutes after they sold out because the "noon" time was Pacific time, and they never made that clear in the e-mail, but I figured since Titmouse is based in LA.

Yep, I was sitting here F5'ing their site at noon Eastern ready to buy anything I could aaaaaaand it was noon Pacific time, which I was busy at the doctor and missed it all.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I was peeing at 3 eastern and by the time I got to my desk at 3:01 they were sold out. Hopefully they'll do another round at some point.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Klaus Nomi's stuff finally hit YouTube and this is a delight.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I hope he sees a mild resurgence of interest as the eclipse nears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmLk2vSXXtk

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

drat, it's been a month since I watched the movie, several years since I binged seasons 4-7 on the AS site and somehow I suddenly want to do nothing but talk about VB.

~IRT the birth of the boys. Rusty has love within him, but does not know how to love or be loved. The lack of affection and care in his life caused him to become insular and self-fixated. Rusty cares about Rusty because he's the only person that does.
~There's something tragic about Sheila and Debbie talking about Rusty like he has cooties, even if he does deserve it.
~IRT the Movie Night Massacre and the death of Jonas: Did I miss the part where it was shown that Vendata wasn't responsible? I thought the entire raid was him enacting a plan to murder Jonas. (Dr Z obviously didn't do a great job erasing his memory. It's a human brain, not a VHS Z. You can't just run a magnet over it). Speaking of, who even gathers together in a goddamn airlock?
~Irony: Team Venture decries Jonas turning Blue Morpho's remains into Venturion but then inflict a similar fate on Jonas him by sticking him in the P.R.O.B.L.E.M.
~I wonder if Rusty hallucinating Jonas on Gargantua 1 was due to his proximity to the P.R.O.B.L.E.M. I doubt even Jackson and Doc know.
~The one time you ever see Jonas legitimately pissed is at the end of season 6 when his plan to brainjack Vendata is going tits-up because people are telling him 'no'.
~I just watched a clip on Brick Frog. Sheila described his skillset as 'yelling his name' and 'holding a brick'. Not even 'throwing bricks'. Just holding them.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 23, 2024

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Rusty might have cooties. Someone might have put herpe in there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They don’t ever show who opened the bay doors on movie night. My personal guess is vendata wandered off and paperboy Bud Manstrong found the sex tape, popped it into one of the players in the room, passed out when he got a chubbie, and fell over accidentally hitting the bay doors lever.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

that's a pretty popular fan theory

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think that's absolutely meant to be a strong implication. Also lol having airlock doors that can kill literally the entire crew if they're in the theatre sounds like signature Venture design. Pretty karmic for Jonas Venture to have like, three of his own fuckups come back to bite him at once.

Also on another note, Helluva Boss has finally released and I'd swear it has some Venture Bros influence among many other things; Sir Pentius in particular seems like a classic old school villain. Alastor even has some moments not far removed from Red Death.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think that's absolutely meant to be a strong implication. Also lol having airlock doors that can kill literally the entire crew if they're in the theatre sounds like signature Venture design. Pretty karmic for Jonas Venture to have like, three of his own fuckups come back to bite him at once.

Also on another note, Helluva Boss has finally released and I'd swear it has some Venture Bros influence among many other things; Sir Pentius in particular seems like a classic old school villain. Alastor even has some moments not far removed from Red Death.

It wasn't a separate theater. It was a theater setup in the cargo bay probably because it was the only place large enough to fit the whole crew.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's also a difference between "I took my dead friend and made him into a cyborg without asking him" and "when I die, make me into a cyborg please."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

It wasn't a separate theater. It was a theater setup in the cargo bay probably because it was the only place large enough to fit the whole crew.

Ahh, right. Which is probably really not any better from an OSHA standpoint.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sash! posted:

There's also a difference between "I took my dead friend and made him into a cyborg without asking him" and "when I die, make me into a cyborg please."

Yeah Jonas wanted to be put into the problem to be revived as a normal human. Blue Morpho was turned into a robot against his will because Jonas thought it would be neat.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Jonas being just a head was definitely not in his plans. I assume he wanted to be put in a rusty clone but Team Venture didn’t want to tell anyone they dropped him or something

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, of course they were expecting a huge turnout.

SHARKEY’S MACHINE.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Splint Chesthair posted:

SHARKEY’S MACHINE.

That movie? My God, it's full of stars.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also on another note, Hazbin Hotel has finally released and I'd swear it has some Venture Bros influence among many other things; Sir Pentius in particular seems like a classic old school villain. Alastor even has some moments not far removed from Red Death.

I need to make some time to watch it. Saw some neat Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss cosplay over the weekend.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I always just assumed to follow ocham's razor IRT the Movie Night Massacre. Vendata is the person with the motive for wanting Jonas dead. Vendata organized the raid. Vendata pulled the lever.
Of course there was plenty of wiggle room for that to not happen.
As far as the P.R.O.B.L.E.M. goes; Team Venture sticking Jonas in there and then not telling anybody might be worse than what Jonas did to...does the Blue Morpho have a known civilian name?

Also: There's something that amuses me about Dragoon going all Christian at the warlock Halloween party. BLASPHEMER! YOU'RE NOT SANTA CLAUS! YOU'RE THE DEVIL!
(And something less amusing about his costume).
And I swear H Jon Benjamin wrote his own dialogue. It feels so 'Archer'.

As far as the show ending goes: I can accept it. A show that only gets a new season every 3 years or so is hard to love no matter how good it is. But it's an IP that just begs for ancillary material like games and comics.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 23, 2024

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ChrisBTY posted:

I always just assumed to follow ocham's razor IRT the Movie Night Massacre. Vendata is the person with the motive for wanting Jonas dead. Vendata organized the raid. Vendata pulled the lever.
Of course there was plenty of wiggle room for that to not happen.
As far as the P.R.O.B.L.E.M. goes; Team Venture sticking Jonas in there and then not telling anybody might be worse than what Jonas did to...does the Blue Morpho have a known civilian name?

Also: There's something that amuses me about Dragoon going all Christian at the warlock Halloween party. BLASPHEMER! YOU'RE NOT SANTA CLAUS! YOU'RE THE DEVIL!
(And something less amusing about his costume).
And I swear H Jon Benjamin wrote his own dialogue. It feels so 'Archer'.

As far as the show ending goes: I can accept it. A show that only gets a new season every 3 years or so is hard to love no matter how good it is. But it's an IP that just begs for ancillary material like games and comics.

City of Heroes but Venture Bros when? I can't wait for the sea of day 1 Brick Frogs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The only reason I don’t think Vendata pulled the lever is because he denied it when talking to Jonas.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Because of how the world of The Venture Brothers works my money is on accident. poo poo like Vendatta slips and falls on it, or when Jonas was talking to him when he sat down on a console he accidently triggered a delayed opening of the airlock. The alarms were turned off because Jonas didn't like how they sounded or some dumb, arbitrary poo poo.

That's one of the reasons I love this show. It doesn't get too bogged down on huge reveals and handwaves a lot of them away. Hell, the biggest question has always been "Who was the boys' mother?" and the answer seems to be "No one" or "Who cares?" Even "What happened to Jonas?" was played up as this big reveal and it turned out the answer was "Shot out an airlock, possibly on accident, and shattered into pieces when one of the guys carrying him slips on a toy." Not some huge battle with an unstoppable force, betrayed by his friends because of some nefarious conspiracy, or some insane super science that is impossible to understand.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

ChrisBTY posted:

does the Blue Morpho have a known civilian name?

Don Fitzcarraldo, which is probably a reference to the Werner Herzog film "Fitzcarraldo"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm pretty sure as already said, it was made out Movie Night Massacre was caused by Manstrong having a brain spasm seeing the Blue Morpho/Venture orgy sextape.

quote:

Also lol having airlock doors that can kill literally the entire crew if they're in the cargo bay like signature Venture design. Pretty karmic for Jonas Venture to have like, three of his own fuckups come back to bite him at once.

Movie Night was in the cargo bay I believe but yes, now you say that out loud that is unbelievably stupid to not have a fail safe and very VERY Venture-like.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

limp_cheese posted:

Hell, the biggest question has always been "Who was the boys' mother?" and the answer seems to be "No one" or "Who cares?"

I mean, the movie did answer this one. Their mother is their father, using Mantilla's eggs and an artificial womb.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm pretty sure as already said, it was made out Movie Night Massacre was caused by Manstrong having a brain spasm seeing the Blue Morpho/Venture orgy sextape.

Movie Night was in the cargo bay I believe but yes, now you say that out loud that is unbelievably stupid to not have a fail safe and very VERY Venture-like.

The mass production Helper fiasco really goes to show the apple didn't fall far from the tree, the only thing keeping Jonas afloat was the infinite free money spigot of Cold War government funding. Which Rusty came of age just in time to miss out on. (Given the Pyramid Wars, Movie Night was presumably in 1987)

Also funny thing is those deliberate anticlimax revelations still give things their own significance. Like that for all his grand importance and fame, Jonas died because of a confluence of events caused by his own carelessness and callousness. And the reveal of the boys parentage imo recontextualises a lot of things; they weren't a result of one of Rusty's disastrous flings and left at his doorstep, Rusty wanted to be a father and put in the effort, as much as he's really capable of.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

As far as the P.R.O.B.L.E.M. goes; Team Venture sticking Jonas in there and then not telling anybody might be worse than what Jonas did

It almost seems like they had instructions to put however much of him was available to put into the PROBLEM. They didn't balk at just sticking his head in there and were only surprised that that was enough for it to eventually work.

It also seemed like they'd anticipated the PROBLEM to notify them when he was, uh, done. Action Man's "the light never came on" says that. It all comes across that they were doing exactly what they were supposed to be doing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I guess it's not that they did something hypocritical, it's that Jonas suffered a similar fate to Don and Team Venture were involved. Irony? Poetic justice?
I love that the rule on VB became 'never, ever assume anybody is actually dead.' Treister somehow survived spending months(?) naked in the vacuum of space. For all we know Jonas got teleported to another world that cured his cancer. Zero was probably hosed though.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

You keep using this and I have no idea what it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given Jonas had a clear habit of getting bored with his latest projects and abandoning them for whatever flight of whimsy took him next, leaving whatever and whoever was involved to their fate, it's pretty fitting he ends up mostly dead because of not leaving adequate instructions for the equipment that they tried to save his life with. Fitting for a narcissistic sociopath, Jonas always acted like a spoiled child used to getting his way in everything.

Even Rusty is a lot better at actually telling people what he's doing and how it works, and even cooperating with others, or at least coordinating, when the chips are down to deal with a crisis. He knows he can't do everything on his own and he has to rely on others, even if it's often because he's lazy and self-serving, it's still often in enlightened self-interest.