Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

My professor's husband does this with a standing guard pass. He just...steps across into knee on belly. If I perfectly predict and time it I might frame and reposition, maybe. Yep, been a year or more.

Sounds like a basic step over pass. Love this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Today in judo was fun, the instructor told us to do 6 sets of the same throw ten times. It was in the middle of the fifth yama arashi that I realized, I had hosed up in my choice of throw.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Today in judo was fun, the instructor told us to do 6 sets of the same throw ten times. It was in the middle of the fifth yama arashi that I realized, I had hosed up in my choice of throw.

When you hit it in comp, being like only the second or third person in history to do so, it will be all worth it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

There comes a time in every grapplers life, where they have obtained the most coveted thing that they didn't realize they wanted. No not a black belt, or a medal, but THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE THE MUSIC BEING PLAYED AT THE GYM/DOJO/WHATEVER!

Yes, that's right, and to help improve I will be posting my own tier list of thoughts on gym music I've personally seen or heard, and I urge yall to :justpost: your thoughts on your own/other coaches music choices.

F Tier:
Nothing - No music is F tier, easily the worst, unless the guy running class is hard of hearing or cant speak up, no reason for there to be no music.
Talk Radio - Trying to get me pissed off while in the gym is A+ motivation, not great for my peace of mind
Terrestrial Radio - No reason in tyool 2024 to be listening to terrestrial radio.
Slow BPM music - Yea, lets all just have a nap while we roll or whatevs

D Tier:
Generic Top 40 off of spotify/youtube/whatever - This is chaotic evil imo, you have a streaming service and you choose to basically just play terrestrial radio? What is wrong with you.
Not with it mix - Top 40 that rotates like a month or two too late Kpop last month, whatever taytay or who ever put out last month regardless of if its good or not. 2020, I was traumatized by both Covid and BLACKPINK - 'Ice Cream'

C Tier:
Terrestrial Radio, but piped in via boombox that sits on the edge of the mat. - This is pretty sick aesthetically speaking, but cant be moved up higher based on vibes only.
XM Radio, well... you tried I guess? I hope you picked a good station.

B Tier:
"I spent my twenties in Iraq play list" - A mix of Late 90s/ Early 2000s butt rock and rap. This can go either way depending how deep the mix is, but I swear to god if I hear Kryptonite one more time :911:
Wrestlefuntime Mix - I'm not biased, I know my own mix of AEW/WWE intro themes with fast progrock weaved in isn't for everyone, but I feel at worst it just turns into white noise instead of being annoying
Deth Metal 30000% Volume - Bands whose logos are things you can't decipher, but played so loudly that you're sure the speakers are gonna blow out. Good, because you know the coach isn't gonna be able to teach with it so it's pretty much open mat

A Tier:
Live band - Never seen this, but I have seen wrestling shows where it happened as a gimmick and so it seems sick.
"Summertime Jammie Jams Mix" - Early 90s Hip Hop/R&B, The person who made the not with it mix only played this during the summer time

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The best tier is Nujabes

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBYmZsUjSFE

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I need to make an april fools day playlist thats just memes to play during rolling. How many people can roll during "Ram Ranch"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE THE MUSIC BEING PLAYED AT THE GYM/DOJO/WHATEVER!

F Tier:

There something quite exquisite trying to strangle another person while Gary Jules' cover of Mad World is playing, lemme tell you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Surreal definitely. Conducive to man hug sports though?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Defenestrategy posted:

There comes a time in every grapplers life, where they have obtained the most coveted thing that they didn't realize they wanted. No not a black belt, or a medal, but THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE THE MUSIC BEING PLAYED AT THE GYM/DOJO/WHATEVER!

Yes, that's right, and to help improve I will be posting my own tier list of thoughts on gym music I've personally seen or heard, and I urge yall to :justpost: your thoughts on your own/other coaches music choices.

F Tier:
Nothing - No music is F tier, easily the worst, unless the guy running class is hard of hearing or cant speak up, no reason for there to be no music.
Talk Radio - Trying to get me pissed off while in the gym is A+ motivation, not great for my peace of mind
Terrestrial Radio - No reason in tyool 2024 to be listening to terrestrial radio.

D Tier:
Generic Top 40 off of spotify/youtube/whatever - This is chaotic evil imo, you have a streaming service and you choose to basically just play terrestrial radio? What is wrong with you.
Not with it mix - Top 40 that rotates like a month or two too late Kpop last month, whatever taytay or who ever put out last month regardless of if its good or not. 2020, I was traumatized by both Covid and BLACKPINK - 'Ice Cream'

C Tier:
Terrestrial Radio, but piped in via boombox that sits on the edge of the mat. - This is pretty sick aesthetically speaking, but cant be moved up higher based on vibes only.

B Tier:
"I spent my twenties in Iraq play list" - A mix of Late 90s/ Early 2000s butt rock and rap. This can go either way depending how deep the mix is, but I swear to god if I hear Kryptonite one more time :911:
Wrestlefuntime Mix - I'm not biased, I know my own mix of AEW/WWE intro themes with fast progrock weaved in isn't for everyone, but I feel at worst it just turns into white noise instead of being annoying
Deth Metal 30000% Volume - Bands whose logos are things you can't decipher, but played so loudly that you're sure the speakers are gonna blow out. Good, because you know the coach isn't gonna be able to teach with it so it's pretty much open mat

A Tier:
Live band - Never seen this, but I have seen wrestling shows where it happened as a gimmick and so it seems sick.
"Summertime Jammie Jams Mix" - Early 90s Hip Hop/R&B, The person who made the not with it mix only played this during the summer time

I LOVE being the DJ. I only play death metal at 4000% volume so it is a very much hate it or love it approach from my students. I sometimes have Eddie playing live guitar while i give privates. This is the best.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Legit Businessman posted:

There something quite exquisite trying to strangle another person while Gary Jules' cover of Mad World is playing, lemme tell you.

I had an instructor from Georgia who used to play Prince, 80s Madonna, etc. I can still hear him when we asked for some rock music. "Anyone can whip rear end to devil music. If you can fight with this on, your mind's right"

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

I only play death metal at 4000% volume

This sounds like my new gym, except deathcore. And they get really pissed if any Reggaeton is played.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
When I run a class or open mat, I play the Sim City 3000 OST. It's practically a signature at this point, and I like how distinct it is from the usual, but it's also a genuine favorite of mine that resists my attempts to find similar works in other albums and artists, it's a gem.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Tyro posted:

I had an instructor from Georgia who used to play Prince, 80s Madonna, etc. I can still hear him when we asked for some rock music. "Anyone can whip rear end to devil music. If you can fight with this on, your mind's right"

:allears:

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

My BJJ playlist is mostly 80s training montage music and also Up Up Girls.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Every academy I've ever trained at played 90s hip hop during rolls

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Tyro posted:

Hes got a point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For the first couple of years I did jits the head instructor had exactly one burned mix cd that lived in his CD player and he'd start it at the beginning of rolls and it began with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QDjDPRF5c

I'm so conditioned to it that I'd consider using it for walkout music (also because the bridge is about an anti-fascist riot).

Track 2 was "Bust a Move."

I used to make mixes of weird and uncanny songs for rolling back when I bothered to do such things. poo poo like power metal covers of Stan Rogers songs, or sci-fi experimentai quasi punk songs with theramin. Made some friends because I was playing Saul Williams.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Took a month off of jits because my wife broke her ankle while trail running. Excited to get back after training for only a few months and have forgotten everything!

edit: the only song that should be playing while rolling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1aUWlT1TI

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

we broke our ankle

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

we broke our ankle

Had it not been her right ankle I could have at least not been on uber driver duty.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I play jazz. Instrumental only. Hank Mobley and Art Blakey have been on for a while. Makes a nice cool atmosphere for the beginners class I teach.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

deathcore owns

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

Defenestrategy posted:

F Tier:

D Tier:

C Tier:

B Tier:

A Tier:

S tier - korean love ballads

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

heeebrew posted:

deathcore owns

reporting this post

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

deathcore owns

I noticed its only played during Nogi class by those that reject the Gi

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
All right, here's my rankings. I'm just gonna skip the obviously bad tiers.

C tier:
* Reggae: it's cool, but one of my coaches puts it on almost every single time he teaches, so I'm a little burned out on it. It's fine if you happen to be looking for a chill session, but good luck feeling motivated to go hard.
* Death metal: thankfully not a regular thing at my gym because some people don't need any encouragement to roll like cavemen. Has the opposite problem of reggae.
* Instrumental synthwave: my preferred music while I'm teaching because it makes for nice background noise without distracting anyone. Needs to be switched to something more energetic before rolls start, though.

B tier:
* Electro swing: gimmicky, but as long as you filter out the chap-hop garbage (god do I wish that wasn't a thing), it's usually quick and bouncy enough to be good for pushing the pace without anyone getting too aggro.
* Late '90s/early 2000s alt-rock: this winds up being more grunge and Tool than 3 Doors Down at my gym, thankfully.
* Spanish guitar: one of my coaches got on a kick with this recently, and it's great for repping out passing drills. I haven't had a chance to put it on for rolling yet, but I got on a similar kick at home listening to faster shamisen music, and I'm pretty sure it would have the same effect.

A tier:
* '70s rock: maybe I'm just less burned out on it than the late-90's/early 2000s alt-rock above because I didn't grow up with it, but it seems to hit the right tempo for rolling a little better on average.
* Funk/jazz: Like electro swing, but people are less likely to call it "that Muppet techno music".
* Contemporary hip-hop: stuff like Run The Jewels and Aesop Rock, that is, not mumble rap.
* EDM with a steady beat: if you don't get at least a little pumped up doing martial arts to Hotline Miami and John Wick music, I don't think you have any joy in your heart.

S tier:
* '90s hip-hop: there's never a bad time for the Wu-Tang Clan.
* One specific playlist: one of my coaches made a playlist that's just songs from highlight reels. No matter how bad you are at BJJ, it's hard not to feel like a badass when stuff like the Last of the Mohicans theme is playing.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nestharken posted:

* Spanish guitar: one of my coaches got on a kick with this recently, and it's great for repping out passing drills. I haven't had a chance to put it on for rolling yet, but I got on a similar kick at home listening to faster shamisen music, and I'm pretty sure it would have the same effect.

This seems like it would be :sicknasty:. I'd put it in A tier.

Green Toad posted:

S tier - korean love ballads

Not sure I'd want to associate rolling with one of my other favorite past times, eating kbbq

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 23, 2024

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
One instructor where I train plays jam bands. It is so hard to try and pretend to murder people to that garbage.

So I managed to pop my own knee . Thankfully it was only a grade one sprain. 10 days later, I can straighten my leg slowly laying on my back. I'm working my way through a basic sports medicine rehab system, but what I don't know is how far healed do I need to be to drill? I'm thinking when I can do body weight squats without issue and will start slow, but I'm curious if anyone has more experience with this than I do. When the rehab guide says 'you can return to light physical activity' and work from there I'm taking that to mean drilling slowly with safe partners.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Best:
90s hip hop (But you've gotta screen your playlists for offensive stuff, like that Nas song that has the word f****t in it)
Minimalistic electronic music (i like to use ninja tune stuff like Amon Tobin, Cujo, Coldcut, Blockhead, Bonobo)
This kind of tempo makes people roll really well.

Conditionally good:
If you're gonna put on metal I think mid-paced stuff with big riffs like Bolt Thrower or Asphyx works pretty well. Or doom that's very groovy like Conan and Weedeater.
People who aren't metal enjoyers don't like screaming so you need bands where the vocals are low-pitched.

Funny:
Megamix of every 80s movie montage song

Extremely Funny:
Old sad romantic songs by elvis, dean martin, connie francis, etc. They always use these songs towards the end of a romantic comedy, and it'll turn every roll into a love story. This makes people SO uncomfortable. Only do it to your friends

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How lucky can one guy be? Heelhooked her and she heelhooked me

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

unironically i found a p decent playlist off someone's post/links on instagram and its a good mix of hip-hop/rap & electronica that's good overall for non sports related background music

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2JInbVEM7OWO4Kh0Fk0rZd

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

How lucky can one guy be? Heelhooked her and she heelhooked me

match made in heaven

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Acinonyx posted:

So I managed to pop my own knee . Thankfully it was only a grade one sprain. 10 days later, I can straighten my leg slowly laying on my back. I'm working my way through a basic sports medicine rehab system, but what I don't know is how far healed do I need to be to drill? I'm thinking when I can do body weight squats without issue and will start slow, but I'm curious if anyone has more experience with this than I do. When the rehab guide says 'you can return to light physical activity' and work from there I'm taking that to mean drilling slowly with safe partners.

I just came off of a micro meniscus tear, but am not a doctor or even smart person, etc,etc

Once the swelling has reasonably gone down and you can take your own weight on your feet without assistance, You can PROBABLY drill with partners who are going to go slow and not be dickheads and not make sudden moves that could potentially hurt you, of course stay away from drilling kneebars and knee slice passes. Remember to do your rehab homework and the medical protocol the docs gave you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I buy custom gi's because 1) I'm awkwardly shaped being a super lanky fat man. 2) I have better style opinions than every gi manufacturor. 3) I like putting funny custom stuff on my gi's to scandalize traditionalists.

I've bought three of them so far and I'm finding the best sizing currently, so what I've done is over size the gi by some percent, let it shrink after a few weeks of use, then go to a tailor to shrink it down. My last gi is nearly perfect except it didn't have the sleeve allowance to be judo legal, so I did it the same way I usually do, except this time the gi didn't shrink to my expectations, so now I have basically a perfectly fit judo gi except you can fit like two and a half fists in the wrist area.

I say all of that to say that in bjj yesterday in standup super loose sleeves really suck because you can never get your grip back, however; on the ground you can basically just use it as a garrote and "lapel" choke, loop choke, Ezekiel choke, and baseball back choke people from literally any position bottom or top. It's an extremely unfair advantage and was hilarious. Unfortunately I'm taking it to get altered because I realized that I shouldn't really rely on something that hilarious in rolling and that it's probably an entangling hazard because someone could get their foot caught up my sleeve.

although it did give me the really sneaky and lovely Idea to shorten my dominant side sleeve and keep the other side sleeve long incase I wanted to be a jerk.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Defenestrategy posted:

Unfortunately I'm taking it to get altered because I realized that I shouldn't really rely on something that hilarious in rolling

Will most tailors be able to handle the material, or have you locked into a specialist?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Will most tailors be able to handle the material, or have you locked into a specialist?

Most shops that can do stuff like leather jackets or suit jackets alterations will do stuff to gi material. I think I've only been turned down once ever from a shop.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

At a tournament now. My first match isn't for an hour and a bit, but has been a good time so far.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

duckdealer posted:

At a tournament now. My first match isn't for an hour and a bit, but has been a good time so far.

Good to hear, tell us how it goes and good luck goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

goon luck