Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
so you're just mad he didn't write and create an entirely different comic?

ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm criticizing his point for being hypocritical, it's his choice to be that, but if he does it's hardly unfair or unreasonable of me to point it out.

You asked me how he could salvage the cartoon from charges of hypocrisy, I'm afraid the only way to do that is by drawing it with a different, non-hypocritical point.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 24, 2024

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
*shrug* ok. so you don't have a problem with the comic itself, you're just mad we don't live in a universe where both sides are always represented in a fair and balanced manner. ok. you're going to be mad a whole bunch in this thread.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Honestly, I expect the hypocrisy from political cartoonists. I mean, it's kind of in their job description. They've got their party, and they've got that party's agenda to push.
Lester's job is to tell us that drug trafficking Mexican gangs capable of going Super Saiyan on police are vaulting over the border to burn our women and rape our churches and steal our jobs.
Bennett's job is to cheerlead the blue team and say that they can do only good and the red team can do only bad.

I'm more offended by just how lazy Bennett has gotten ever since 2016.
Trump winning the election really broke him. He used to regularly knock it out of the park with his cartoons; crisp, clear visual metaphors with actual craft and skill.
And you can still see echoes of it. I mean, he puts more effort into drawing a blank piece of paper than Gorrell does in turning in a blank cartoon, but he's still a long way from where he used to be.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Most of the appeal of this thread is getting to make ourselves mad over the worst political takes of all time. This thread has Yakov Kirschen in it.

Sometimes a bad take will come from a Democrat, you've just gotta roll with it.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
I for one am here to watch an ideological collapse through the medium of political cartooning

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

the_steve posted:

I'm more offended by just how lazy Bennett has gotten ever since 2016.
Trump winning the election really broke him.

To be fair, that broke a lot of people, including me. I don't want to think how I'll be if Trump wins again

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JamesBont posted:

To be fair, that broke a lot of people, including me. I don't want to think how I'll be if Trump wins again

I feel like that guy in Austin Powers who just stands there and shouts "noooooo" as a steamroller slowly bears down on him from a long ways away.

I can see it coming to crush me yet I can't get out of the way.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I don't get it but lmao @ that last panel

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Microplastics posted:

I don't get it but lmao @ that last panel

Rush Limbaugh encouraged Republicans to register as Democrats and vote for Hillary in the 2008 primaries to stop Obama.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
even gave it a name "operation chaos". it was the first thing i thought of too

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit/Parody

Amjad Rasmi

Bill Bramhall

Carlos Latuff

Christopher Weyant

Clay Bennett

Dave Whamond

David Horsey

David Horsey posted:

There are various reasons people think school kids should have their cellphones with them in class. Most of those reasons are pretty lame.

Topping the list of justifications is the desire of parents to be able to communicate with their children at any given moment. Sorry, 21st century moms and dads, but helicopter parenting needs to be grounded.

But what if there is a school shooting? As horrific as such incidents may be, they are very rare. Students are at far greater risk of falling behind in class because their little brains are diverted by TikTok or a string of messages from a girlfriend.

Another pro-cellphone argument is that, without their phones handy, kids will not become adept at technology. Give me a freakin’ break. No one thinks young people spend too little time engaged with cellphones and all manner of other screens that connect them with the glories, perils and seductions of cyberspace.

Though there are occasional legitimate uses for cellphones in the classroom when students are under the direction of a teacher, the last thing America’s rising generation needs is more distraction. Above all else, the kids need to learn how to pay attention.

If that can be accomplished, Mom and Dad, you really don’t need to worry about tracking your child every minute of the day. They will do just fine.

David M. Hitch

Ed Gamble

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Koterba

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

John Branch

John Darkow

Lee Judge

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Mike Peters

Mike Smith

Rivers

Walt Handelsman

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Murdstone posted:

It would be great if Haley won NH just to see what the reaction from people like Branco would be.

She won’t, but it sure would be fun. Even getting within single digits would probably be good enough.

Well one can dream.
Well she’s currently losing by 8% which is shockingly close, especially given how recently DeSantis dropped out

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

World Famous W posted:

you can just say you think tara reade's accusations are lies instead of trying to be coy

If that was directed at me, I had honestly forgotten about Tara Reade's accusations, but in my defense, even the political cartoonists that despise Biden never seem to bring it up, while they bring up the hair sniffing a fair bit. Which, y'know, could still probably fall into "sexual assault" or "unwanted sexual advancement".

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pants Donkey posted:

Well she’s currently losing by 8% which is shockingly close, especially given how recently DeSantis dropped out
Yeah and trump's real salty about it too. It's pretty great.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Gizmos! :argh:"

Randalor posted:

If that was directed at me, I had honestly forgotten about Tara Reade's accusations, but in my defense, even the political cartoonists that despise Biden never seem to bring it up, while they bring up the hair sniffing a fair bit. Which, y'know, could still probably fall into "sexual assault" or "unwanted sexual advancement".

I imagine hair sniffing gets drawn more since there's plenty of visual references for that.
Visual evidence of Biden assaulting Reade or any of his other accusers is probably a bit harder to come by, plus outright sexual assault probably wouldn't get past many editors.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Rush Limbaugh encouraged Republicans to register as Democrats and vote for Hillary in the 2008 primaries to stop Obama.

But that actually made sense since Obama was more popular with the general public than Clinton

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

the_steve posted:

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Gizmos! :argh:"

He's right :colbert: (but yeah still a gizmos :argh: cartoon)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kellies nomination: Worst label

I know this guy is ancient but bloody hell. This could easily have been a newspaper like what every other cartoonist does to indicate a news item, or at the very least a(nother) speech bubble, but no, it's a sign written in first person AND he's signed it with his name AND his signature has a goddamn exclamation mark

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the_steve posted:

plus outright sexual assault probably wouldn't get past many editors.
Meanwhile, in French politoons there seems to be a quota.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Israel's Overreaction Erases October 7th

Ted Rall posted:

Israel’s response to the Oct. 7th attack by Hamas has eclipsed the horror of that day.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Israel's Overreaction Erases October 7th

I think this may be the most technically well-constructed cartoon he has ever made. Faint praise I know, but still.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

I think this may be the most technically well-constructed cartoon he has ever made. Faint praise I know, but still.

...is it because he covered his signature? :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
He shamelessly copy pasted so praise the machine instead.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Also his "style" for faces actually works on those posters, since you can tell it's a face without having to discern details and they're all zoomed out anyways, since the point is that it's a lot of dead people.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Skios fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 24, 2024

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

This one might work better if the first two were in any way "Democrat plants."

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Got Goodwyn there twice

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Never expected Andy Marlette to just steal a Goodwyn cartoon

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies nomination: Worst use of a metaphor

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Microplastics posted:

I know this guy is ancient but bloody hell. This could easily have been a newspaper like what every other cartoonist does to indicate a news item, or at the very least a(nother) speech bubble, but no, it's a sign written in first person AND he's signed it with his name AND his signature has a goddamn exclamation mark

In this particular case, the cartoon would be strictly improved by removing all the text except the word "Florida", and putting that word on his sign instead. It would still be a limp "a thing happened" cartoon, but the image of Desantis having to hitchhike back to Florida could, in theory, make someone laugh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Telegnostic posted:

This one might work better if the first two were in any way "Democrat plants."
Yeah I'm surprised that Stiglich didn't just jump to the racist option of using plants commonly associated with African-American or Mexican stereotypes.

Or drugs plants, which he considers a subset of the above.

Must be the first time in a while that I've seen a clear avenue for Stiglich to be anti-Dem in a way that is coded as racist instead of incomprehensible and not jump on it.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Literally correct. AGC.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Pretty cool how somehow "WEF" became just modern allowed shorthand for "scheming jews"

Also following the decades-old tradition of calling anyone who believes evidence a "cultist", that's just good old fashioned fun

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Microplastics posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst label

In his defense, Ed lent all of his labeled briefcases to Lisa Benson today.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vib Rib posted:

Pretty cool how somehow "WEF" became just modern allowed shorthand for "scheming jews"
Just make a new one called the Joint Economic Workshop and see who goes "uhh guys maybe we shouldn't this time" and who is Bob Moran.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Meanwhile, in French politoons there seems to be a quota.

That seems to be just Charlie Hebdo and I can’t really get anything off their site anymore which is a shame.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Didn't even bother to remove the alpha layer before sending to publishing, eh?

duz fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 24, 2024

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on what’s powering Rishi Sunak – While his country crumbles, the prime minister is still able to assert himself on the world stage"

Telegraph:

Watch: Royal Navy warships crash in Bahrain

Matt:

"The Met Office’s bizarre storm advice exposes the new British sickness"

Independent:

Air strikes send ‘clearest possible message’ to Houthis, says Cameron

Times:

Storm Jocelyn: how trains are disrupted in northern England and Scotland

Evening Standard:

Royal Mail could deliver letters just three days a week, says Ofcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU