Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

Protesting definitely is (or was) a threat. The whole idea behind a protest was to put on a show of force to prove you have the numbers to strike, boycott, or take more serious direct action. Or, if you want to be terminally lib brained, it's a threat that you're going to withhold your precious votes. It's the least harmful action before escalating. Also the one that lets you muster the most bodies because the individual risk is pretty low.

The shift to protests being polite requests/recreational activities was definitely a very gradual change and has a lot to do with the attitude that the legality of follow-up action matters at all, when it doesn't. The part of any protest that's supposed to be implicit is that it can also be a riot or much worse. Except now we've even removed the implicit (and worthless) threat of withholding your vote because what are you gonna do, vote for Trump?

Also the fact the police will shut you down at their sole discretion, using gas and arrests, if your protest gets too rowdy for their taste. What is too rowdy and what isn't largely depends on if it's for a right wing cause or not.

My theory for why COVID mitigation fell apart in June 2020 is because of the protests. They saw that people who didn't have to report for their job or jobs weren't deterred by the prospect of bullshit arrests, so let's open everything back up to get the peasants back in the burger mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Salt Fish posted:

Just wanted everyone to know that I'm looking at some AI generation farm poo poo and we're loving doomed.

However much power you think is being used for this I promise you're off by orders of magnitude. It hurts my soul to look at these lovely tools and hosed "art" and then look at the megawatts of power being pissed away in these datacenters.

My team at work is soliciting AI ideas for how we can use AI because nobody has any clue and the only thing they know is that we have to use it. No clue how or why, we have no problems to solve. Just, we need to start using it somewhere.

I'm working with another company that is using thousands of these nvidia graphics cards that cost $35,000 each to essentially recreate a shittier version of blingee.com. While working on it I was able to mentally hold the entire project in my mind as one unit. I saw for one instant the light of god fading from this world and my brain shut down to protect itself.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/19/24044070/sam-altman-says-the-future-of-ai-depends-on-breakthroughs-in-clean-energy

lol, lmao

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I have an idea to kill two birds with one stone.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

skooma512 posted:

My theory for why COVID mitigation fell apart in June 2020 is because of the protests. They saw that people who didn't have to report for their job or jobs weren't deterred by the prospect of bullshit arrests, so let's open everything back up to get the peasants back in the burger mines.
I think this will be dismissed as crazy talk by a lot of people, but among people I personally knew during that time, we were all talking about this. all these people, no jobs, unified against a common problem, finding other problems they shared, and mobilizing daily. absolute nightmare scenario for any government.

it's not the only explanation for why covid mitigation stopped, but it's a big one.

e: for a little context, I was involved in a job action for a union during summer of 2020. after doing our thing in the middle of the day, we would join in one of the many blm related protests in the evenings. it went on for weeks.

i can't imagine those same people doing that today. unthinkable. too much work. too many other interests. but back then, it was all that was going on, and it was important.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Jan 23, 2024

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

sitchensis posted:

i mean, to be fair, they can only output the word ‘gigadeath’ so many times

ooooh what if they closed the loop: feed the outputs of the climate models into the generative ai and produce imagery that communicates the impending doom

edit: "computer show me a tent city outside phoenix on the third day of a heatwave in 2060 in the SSP2-4.5 model"

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Jan 23, 2024

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Microplastics posted:

Worried about climate change affecting skiing? Don't worry we'll just build gigantic concrete tunnels to do our skiing in

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20240118-concrete-tunnels-and-permafrost-how-sweden-is-future-proofing-skiing

Slap 1.3 km of screens to the inside of that thing, showing a pristine alpine environment and it'll be as good as the real thing! (until you splat yourself looney toons style into the screen walls)

I guess you could do the same thing with an advanced enough AR helmet but those don't waste enough energy.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Microplastics posted:

Worried about climate change affecting skiing? Don't worry we'll just build gigantic concrete tunnels to do our skiing in

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20240118-concrete-tunnels-and-permafrost-how-sweden-is-future-proofing-skiing

just one small problem

quote:

In the face of rapidly rising temperatures and reduced snowfall, Swedish ski resorts are investing in innovative infrastructure to future-proof skiing. The ski town Torsby has constructed a 1.3km-long (4,265ft) concrete tunnel where you can enjoy cross-country skiing for eight months each year. The tunnel is kept cool by underground pipes covered in a layer of permafrost.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

trucutru posted:

Slap 1.3 km of screens to the inside of that thing, showing a pristine alpine environment and it'll be as good as the real thing! (until you splat yourself looney toons style into the screen walls)

I guess you could do the same thing with an advanced enough AR helmet but those don't waste enough energy.

I'll start the factory to build batteries for the helmets! :dumb:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol taking away all the joy of skiing which is literally being out on basically a snow hike and in the trees.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I am miles from the nearest mountain and the love of cross country skiing has always mystified me

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's a way to travel in the snow, op

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I've done snowshoeing and I can tell you there is no way to travel in the snow. Either get yourself a plow, a shovel or wait for it to melt

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I won't miss the snow but I will miss the clouds :yayclod:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

trails can get tracked out in the winter, and they're then fun to run with spikes.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I went skiing in 8f weather with crazy wind chill, and it made me boggled about how anyone is blase about this poo poo.

Being on a mountain in subzero-with-windchill weather, is just "poo poo that doesn't give a gently caress about you as a person or an entity and would trivially kill you", and that's when everything is working the way it's supposed to

And mfers think cities will withstand weather that's actually destabilized and severe?

Lol

E: I read in wired someone has new snow making tech that works at 1.5c warmer than existing tech. Just the dumbest loving poo poo. The place I ski is all natural snow and it will probably be barren in my lifetime.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
My boss asked me what my plans for the future were today and I told him “to not suck your dick anymore you fat bald loving looser” and I walked out. I was planning on quitting anyway sometime soon but I just wanted to confuse him and it was the perfect time. I think everyone should also do this, maybe tomorrow or next week

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Microplastics posted:

jfc

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

is it happening yet

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
s'been

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lol @ post-2014, that jump

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Samuel Glompers posted:

I enjoy using a bubblor bc it fulfills my childhood ambition of using a soap bubble pipe, but for real. The problem is it's so hard to clean. Like you can pour boiling water & dish soap down a bong & that pretty well does the trick. Can't be bothered with soaking in cleaning solutions :effort:

91% iso alcohol and sea salt works great for bubblers. Just let it soak in a ziplock bag and shake it every now and again for a few hours

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Soggy Muffin posted:

My boss asked me what my plans for the future were today and I told him “to not suck your dick anymore you fat bald loving looser” and I walked out. I was planning on quitting anyway sometime soon but I just wanted to confuse him and it was the perfect time. I think everyone should also do this, maybe tomorrow or next week

Pro move is waiting for everyone else to say this to you. I want them to get tired of sucking my dick first

Also it's "loser" :o: I've seen people spelling this wrong for a decade plus and I can't wrap my head around it. A loser loses, distinct from loose change :eng101:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I go for the 99% isopropyl. Not sure how much extra difference that percent makes but you can't be too careful. Also use kosher salt specifically, it has bigger, more abrasive rocks and fewer impurities

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

sounds like something a lib would complain about

edit: loser v looser

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Yeah, a librarian maybe, or someone else who rightly respects language and knowledge

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/748157603176419328

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I use food grade 200 proof lab alcohol to clean my bongs and I don't need soap or salt ....

I only keep it around for hash extraction but it's got it's purposes.

Yes you can get 200 proof food grade (molecular sieves are cool); no it's not quite 200 proof anymore after passing through a loop, but close enough.

The "taste" difference between 190 and 200 proof surprised me

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I use food grade 200 proof lab alcohol to clean my bongs and I don't need soap or salt ....

Can you get this handed over a counter from a grocery store pharmacy?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dokapon Findom posted:

Can you get this handed over a counter from a grocery store pharmacy?

Sure, but it has to be in a Mexican grocery store. Just ask for ones with the red label, the blue ones will at the very minimum blind you

rojo -> bueno.
azul -> malo.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

rationalia looks very old and white and male. like the people who killed the world

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Venomous posted:

is it happening yet

faster than expected, even

kater
Nov 16, 2010

this seemed very pre2012 and I looked and it’s oct 2011 lol. fascinating.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Popoto posted:

if that’s legit, it’s cool, regardless of anything else.

wouldnt be surprised if the "more efficient use of cropland" largely entailed clearcutting forests in the global south and importing everything

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

so my tiktok was all flooding videos from san diego this morning

it used to be this thread would be full of twitter embeds of disaster videos for this stuff. i think this is yet another example of how twitter has collapsed and people just aren't putting poo poo up there anywhere near as much, so we dont have it to embed here.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Jan 24, 2024

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Water is plant food

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

Pro move is waiting for everyone else to say this to you. I want them to get tired of sucking my dick first

Also it's "loser" :o: I've seen people spelling this wrong for a decade plus and I can't wrap my head around it. A loser loses, distinct from loose change :eng101:

their boss might have loose foreskin

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MightyBigMinus posted:

so my tiktok was all flooding videos from san diego this morning

it used to be this thread would be full of twitter embeds of disaster videos for this stuff. i think this is yet another example of how twitter has collapsed and people just aren't putting poo poo up there anywhere near as much, so we dont have it to embed here.

you can embed TikTok videos here. be the hero you want to be

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Dokapon Findom posted:

Yeah, a librarian maybe, or someone else who rightly respects language and knowledge

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/748157603176419328

lol he had to put one guy on there twice to fill out the square

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
also while 200 proof alcohol will work fine to extract resins and whatnot, remember that you need 40-80% alcohol to effectively kill microbes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i've said for loving ages now that the energy aspect is a huge problem and it would not shock me if the total energy consumption of *all* AI in use today already far surpasses bitcoin energy consumption and maybe even cryptocurrency as a whole

it's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

triple sulk posted:

i've said for loving ages now that the energy aspect is a huge problem and it would not shock me if the total energy consumption of *all* AI in use today already far surpasses bitcoin energy consumption and maybe even cryptocurrency as a whole

it's bad

Then we should, hear me out, make AI mine bitcoins for us. Its foolproof!