Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ashcans posted:

Yea, there is enough stuff around that I don't feel bad about incidental Flaming Fist casualties. There are a handful that seem ok, like Devella, so maybe just don't murder those ones.

even the ones that seem okay still work with and at a minimum aid and abet the horrific actions of the Flaming Fist at large, bad apples spoil the bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

CodFishBalls posted:

What is your CPU?

I ran it on a intel 8700 and 1060 6gb and it was okay on medium/lowish settings.

an i7 8700, too. I should probably mention I was running it at 4K.

Either way, I still get some chonk after upgrading to a 4070, and the environment takes 90 seconds to load every time i move to a new area.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does an 8700-socketed mainboard even have NVMe? That’s probably your biggest bottleneck.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Eau de MacGowan posted:

an i7 8700, too. I should probably mention I was running it at 4K.

Either way, I still get some chonk after upgrading to a 4070, and the environment takes 90 seconds to load every time i move to a new area.

Ah yeah, 4k might hurt it, but the load for me, with a 5800x3d and 7900xtx is around that for a new area via loading screen.

Shumagorath posted:

Does an 8700-socketed mainboard even have NVMe? That’s probably your biggest bottleneck.

Well my prebuilt I used while troubleshooting my main system has an m.2 slot

That Acer put Intel Optane in with a 1tb HDD :negative:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CodFishBalls posted:

Well my prebuilt I used while troubleshooting my main system has an m.2 slot
Could be one of those short-lived M.2 SATA boards, which as someone who ran a 6700K for six years I can confirm is not at all the same class of performance.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mycot posted:

CPU: i7 8700
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 16 GB

I'm honestly not sure what is going on, because these specs are not as far off as I would have thought from the system requirements

I'm a little surprised, because your CPU is actually pretty decent. It's faster than the console CPUs, so you should be able to sustain at least 30fps on Act 3. There might be issues with the low vram of the 1050ti?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
the speedrun tactics for this game are amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkEsjwBcRjY&t=1656s

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Entropic posted:

yeah the emotional support shark is OP

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Entropic posted:

holy poo poo that bear trick

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Entropic posted:

Lol at the 5005 kg bear bludgeoning ketheric to death

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Seriously is the only difference to bringing Astarion to his own character quest a much harder boss fight?

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm a little surprised, because your CPU is actually pretty decent. It's faster than the console CPUs, so you should be able to sustain at least 30fps on Act 3. There might be issues with the low vram of the 1050ti?

Update: the game isn't consistently this laggy, messing with the settings like dynamic crowds and performance became entirely passable and I could continue my playthrough. Sometimes the game randomly starts crawling and getting stuck on loading screens and I have to reset the game, but that clears it up :iiam:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mycot posted:

Seriously is the only difference to bringing Astarion to his own character quest a much harder boss fight?
Worth it for Cathartic Stabbing

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mycot posted:

Update: the game isn't consistently this laggy, messing with the settings like dynamic crowds and performance became entirely passable and I could continue my playthrough. Sometimes the game randomly starts crawling and getting stuck on loading screens and I have to reset the game, but that clears it up :iiam:

Are you on a hard drive? Slow HDD mode might help too.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I want to start a Durge playthrough but the canonical male albino dragonborn sorcerer is a pall hanging over my custom designs. My Tav was a rogue and I don't feel like doing that again, but I also wasted that phenomenal Act 3 rapier. Warlock? Monk? Someone help me out here; Sorcerer 12 is entirely too tempting for a character that's supposed to bear the mark of D&D bitchmade-Khorne.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

Lol at the 5005 kg bear bludgeoning ketheric to death

you can cheese the guardian with that trick, too, especially since the stairwell down to his arena gives you a huge amount of height to magnify the damage with

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Washin Tong posted:

Did my first run of BG3 on a 1060 6GB with most stuff cranked up to high (1080p of course, but still). Super playable even in Act 3.

Upgraded to a 4060 about a month ago and handed the 1060 off to a friend and he's super happy doing BG3 and Darktide (which was unplayable at launch, much better now). The biggest factor for FPS these days is lovely optimization from AAA devs (not Larian obv), then GPU model/generation.

Still, you can only push a 7 year old card so far and yeah, they're finally struggling to run games.

A 1060 or 1070 is a very different proposition to a 1050ti though, which is what the guy upthread has. A 1060 for reference has basically double the performance on average of a 1050ti.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

mycot posted:

He gets some character development and some well voiced lines. Also he learns the hard way that directly confronting a centuries-old vampire lord that already has him marked for sacrifice wasn't the smartest move.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Shumagorath posted:

Worth it for Cathartic Stabbing

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So apparently if you miss the camp scene where Astarion nearly bites you, the fact that he's a vampire will be revealed in a random conversation.

That's an... interesting redundancy by Larian.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

you can even reply "yes, and?" which gets a great reaction from him

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Shumagorath posted:

I want to start a Durge playthrough but the canonical male albino dragonborn sorcerer is a pall hanging over my custom designs. My Tav was a rogue and I don't feel like doing that again, but I also wasted that phenomenal Act 3 rapier. Warlock? Monk? Someone help me out here; Sorcerer 12 is entirely too tempting for a character that's supposed to bear the mark of D&D bitchmade-Khorne.

Open Hand Monk is a really fun melee class, especially if you take Tavern Brawler to exploit the unarmed damage boost. You get a glass cannon like the Rogue but also with a great mix of control and AOE abilities (Stunning Strike, Resonating Ki). It’s such an improvement over the original 5e version its not even funny.

Fav thing is to take Monk to level 9, then dip into Rogue for the expertise bonuses. Then you take the Thief subclass; with Fast Hands an extra bonus action to use every turn for Flurry of Blows turns you into a goddamn wrecking machine.

Monk also comes with my favorite dialog options; lots of fortune-cookie phrases to make you sound like an enlightened master in the face of all this nonsense

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 24, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

grack posted:

So apparently if you miss the camp scene where Astarion nearly bites you, the fact that he's a vampire will be revealed in a random conversation.

I know this will happen if you progress to the Underdark or Mountain Pass without getting the bite scene. The little laugh he does at the end kills me every time.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
If you give Baelen the mushroom, let him berate his wife and then kill him, she doesn't appear in her shop at all. So yeah don't do that

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Did the printing press quest and for the first time had some issues avoiding being spotted, probably because I was tired. Ended up in jail, eventually a guard just unlocked my door so I went to walk out and they all got mad at me! Luckily, we were able to kill all the guards in the jail and wait out the fugitive status but man, sucks to be a flaming fist.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i DMed descent to avernus as well and they're not described as good guys in that either

Original or Justin Alexander's remix? We finished the remix just before I played BG3 and my one complaint about the game is that Zariel remains unredeemed down in hell, apparently. Reaching her and convincing her to change was incredibly satisfying.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

grack posted:

I do wish you could have that option with the regular interaction too.

The red-eyed pointy-toothed elf with a murder fetish might be a vampire? You don't say! :monocle:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the Definitive Edition there should be special NG+ conversation options that show when you've read ahead in the script.

"Uh Tav, we need to leave the House of Hope immediately. The portal's right there man, why are you wasting time dropping 12 smokepowder barrels five feet away."

"Yo just trust me on this one."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

grack posted:

My favourite part of that interaction is how one of the dialogue choices is basically “yeah no poo poo buddy we figured that one out ourselves”

The failsafes they put in are super interesting. Someone made a video of what happens if you try to avoid interacting with Shadowheart or the Prism for as long as possible and all the ways Shart ends up trying to sneak up on you to make sure you have the artifact before leaving Act I starts getting funny.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Entropic posted:

My favourite part of that interaction is how one of the dialogue choices is basically “yeah no poo poo buddy we figured that one out ourselves”

The failsafes they put in are super interesting. Someone made a video of what happens if you try to avoid interacting with Shadowheart or the Prism for as long as possible and all the ways Shart ends up trying to sneak up on you to make sure you have the artifact before leaving Act I starts getting funny.

Huh, that second one sounds funny, but I guess you would have to avoid the areas around the goblin camp to get it? Since you get the cutscene where the absolute tries to dominate you when you get close.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Act 3 is where you see they didn’t have as many failsafes. For instance using crown of madness to eliminate all but one of the Gur and Ascending

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Entropic posted:

I have to admit I'm kind of curious what happens if you ignore her on the ship, then bypass both the grove and the goblins to go the Zhent hideout -> Underdark -> elevator route.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Thundarr posted:

I have to admit I'm kind of curious what happens if you ignore her on the ship, then bypass both the grove and the goblins to go the Zhent hideout -> Underdark -> elevator route.

I believe the artifact just “finds you” at the next available region swap if you miss her entirely, so either entering the mountain pass or by entering the shadow cursed lands via grymforge

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Got to the part in the Dark Urge storyline where you kill Isobel and the Tieflings and unlock the Slayer form

Man this game is loving good. And playing it coop is definitely the way to go for the shared shock of moments like that.

We were originally going to let the tieflings live bc I didn't want to screw up a plot point for my party. But I left the decision to my party members and they gave the ol' Roman emperor thumbs down on that group.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Dealing with a co-op durge and the fact that they can just get away with it and everyone is just cool is wild.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Dealing with a co-op durge and the fact that they can just get away with it and everyone is just cool is wild.

It's very cool and a credit to this game's design that you can get as far with it as you can. My friend started as a paladin though, which is ironically a much harder character to play in the average co-op party.

Having a Dark Urge in the party I think goes a long way towards bringing some extra facets (both positive and negative) over from an actual table-top session where an individual character can influence a party's direction much more easily.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Entropic posted:

I'd like to find out how the reveal works as a set of triggers etc as in my first playthrough I had a cutscene where he sneaks off and found a drained boar on the road which he insisted was not a big deal before I caught him in the act. I think if I passed a perception check with the boar I might have been able to call him out then.

But on my second go the boar wasn't there and I think he tried to bite me on my first long rest. Possibly there's a hidden perception check happening for the rests?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DarkHorse posted:

I do wish you could have that option with the regular interaction too.

The red-eyed pointy-toothed elf with a murder fetish might be a vampire? You don't say! :monocle:

Yeah, any player who's ever met Astarion on a playthrough pretty much immediately thought "So who's this vampire-looking motherfucker?"

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

PantsBandit posted:

It's very cool and a credit to this game's design that you can get as far with it as you can. My friend started as a paladin though, which is ironically a much harder character to play in the average co-op party.

Having a Dark Urge in the party I think goes a long way towards bringing some extra facets (both positive and negative) over from an actual table-top session where an individual character can influence a party's direction much more easily.

Also have a Paladin. Nothing really breaks Oath of Vengeance even asking a boss to seek forgiveness twice which I also think is crazy. This also depends on what dialogues they are personally in control. We just murdered the editor to a paper after they picked attack the guard and no oath broken status I'm going to say that your experience is the group agreeing to it vs mine of having one guy say "chaotic evil" when I asked what class everyone wanted to play. Compared to DOS2 if you take any of the alternate deals to the finale you are locked in and have to deal with it. And by locked in I mean after any Swornbreaker prompts

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Black Noise posted:

Also have a Paladin. Nothing really breaks Oath of Vengeance even asking a boss to seek forgiveness twice which I also think is crazy. This also depends on what dialogues they are personally in control. We just murdered the editor to a paper after they picked attack the guard and no oath broken status I'm going to say that your experience is the group agreeing to it vs mine of having one guy say "chaotic evil" when I asked what class everyone wanted to play. Compared to DOS2 if you take any of the alternate deals to the finale you are locked in and have to deal with it. And by locked in I mean after any Swornbreaker prompts

That's funny and I'm glad to hear that it works mostly. I assumed otherwise bc my friend had his oath broken over something extremely silly in the first act where he wasn't even the one leading the dialogue. I think the bigger issue is the things that DO break it can be really dumb and arbitrary but if there's not a lot of them that's doable.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

That's funny and I'm glad to hear that it works mostly. I assumed otherwise bc my friend had his oath broken over something extremely silly in the first act where he wasn't even the one leading the dialogue. I think the bigger issue is the things that DO break it can be really dumb and arbitrary but if there's not a lot of them that's doable.

Can you elaborate on this? My gf and I just put her on point every time we need to do something especially shady, and at the start of Act III I’ve had no oathbreaking issues. But also vengeance is probably easier to maintain, and when I was leading, and someone who did something bad could be treated with any kinda nuance, I just went straight for the kill option as befits the oath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Been running into some awful save/profile retention(?) issues on my modded run and with patch 6 apparently on the way I think I'm gonna set this aside again.
It's fine frankly I think I got enough of my shadowheart origin run done to get the gist of what's she's going through. Getting shock collared by horrifying childhood trauma after doing good deeds. I really do think they honestly shouldn't have bothered with most of the companions being origins in retrospect and they probably should have done ones with specific gimmicks instead.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 24, 2024