Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Finished True detective season 2,absolutely brilliant and so depressing my god.

The only iimm in the show was the close range shotgun blast to the chest,even with “less lethal” rounds that guys insides would have been soup right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Finished True detective season 2,absolutely brilliant and so depressing my god.

The only iimm in the show was the close range shotgun blast to the chest,even with “less lethal” rounds that guys insides would have been soup right?

Yes he would've unless he was wearing body armor underneath.

People have been killed with less-lethal rounds before.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Prime Video is absolutely poo poo for subtitles. Saw multiple movies on it with extended stretches of foreign languages that are either completely unsubbed or just [SPEAKING FOREIGN LANGUAGE] on the bottom of the screen.

I've complained about it before but on my old smart tv the subtitles would get out if sync with the video in the Prime app on occasion, just frozen on a random line. Then when the data came in or whatever all the subs in the interim would flash by on the screen like prescription medication ad small print until they were caught up. It was very annoying.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We were watching a random episode of bake off and it got stuck with the first spoken like never turning off in the captions. It would get overridden by anything else said but whenever there'd be nothing else on the screen it would flash WELCOME TO THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF, sometimes for only a fraction of a second.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i wonder if there's timelines where its not price thats driving a return back to piracy but good subtitles.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Disney bluray releases are great for that multi lingual stuff I imagine. I’ve been ripping my bluray disks to Plex, and they usually have many streams of the film. You can’t tell in MakeMKV what’s what, they all have the same length, but alternate angles for some chapters. After they rip you have to quickly scan the files to see which language files the files are. Pixar films sometimes go even further and will replace other elements so they’re more international, going at least as far back as the second Toy Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VXTaMfyZZw

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

PhazonLink posted:

i wonder if there's timelines where its not price thats driving a return back to piracy but good subtitles.

Something like 20 years ago (LOL my God I am close to death) I downloaded The Ghost in the Shell 2 movie, and I still remember that the subs by the NTF group were absolutely primo. There was one point where there was a acronym, and the group took the time to research it and spell it out in a quick note on screen. None of that "kikeru means plan" baloney.

Then the official release came out, and half of the subtitles were things like "helicopter approaching" and other weird accessibility subs. It did have a cool commentary track with the director and animator though. That was excellent.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I watched Men in Black on Netflix recently and it has some very annoying subtitles for text that appears onscreen. Perfectly legible text. It only happens ~10 times and I don't see a way to turn it off (regular subs are turned off)

Also if I hadn't seen it before, I'd be annoyed at this spoiler

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Breetai posted:

Dutch: Why us?
Dillon: Because nobody else could've pulled it off. You're pissed about the cover story, I knew I couldn't get you in here without it.

Dutch being able to choose the mission is explicit in the script, there's no ambiguity.
Huh, yeah. I remembered the line, but for some reason in my head I'd always interpreted it differently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That they're explicitly a bunch of deniable asset mercenaries fighting guerrillas in the jungle also makes them ideal hunting targets for the Predator, come to think of it. If a Predator went after an active military unit, they'd probably have a lot more means of retreating, calling in reinforcements, and an investigation into an enemy with new and strange capabilities picking them off. But for a small over-armed mercenary team, once the Predator takes out the radio man and denies them reinforcements or evac, they can take their time with the rest.

Even plays into Predator 2, when hunting cops, gangsters and armed civilians indiscriminately in the urban jungle attracts attention from the government, who already are loosely aware of them presumably from debriefing Dutch, and it's implied the Predator there is a lot younger and more reckless, on more of a turkey shoot than a big game hunt.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I watched Men in Black on Netflix recently and it has some very annoying subtitles for text that appears onscreen. Perfectly legible text. It only happens ~10 times and I don't see a way to turn it off (regular subs are turned off)

Also if I hadn't seen it before, I'd be annoyed at this spoiler

Imagine if they had a Arquillian subtitle option, so when that plot point first comes up the line is actually correctly given as "The galaxy is in Orion's collar" That would be amazing.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

it's implied the Predator there is a lot younger and more reckless, on more of a turkey shoot than a big game hunt.

The Predator in 2 was the equivalent of a fat aging middle manager in throes of a mid-life crisis going on a safari. The other predators are like "thank God you killed that rear end in a top hat, now we can finally go home"

(Stolen from someone else on the forums)

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

null_pointer posted:

The Predator in 2 was the equivalent of a fat aging middle manager in throes of a mid-life crisis going on a safari. The other predators are like "thank God you killed that rear end in a top hat, now we can finally go home"

Yeah, 2's Pred got beat straight up by Danny Glover. Any of the guys in the first movie would have annihilated Danny Glover in a fight except Hawkins (I almost said "and maybe Poncho," but nah, Poncho would kill him dead).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Someone pointed out that pretty much all the Predators we see (minus the one from A VS OP 2) all die to humans, so they're the equivalent of the Predator dentist going on safari hunts, and now I can't get that out of my head.

IIMM House of the Dragon style: I admit I am sick of the whole Disney thing where we don't get clear bad guys, but HOTD went full the other way, and made it very very clear we are supposed to pick the princess over the prince to rule: Rhaeynera is shown to have little faults, is super open minded and supportive of her gay husband, and her assault on Cole is played more for seduction instead of a power play/coercive sex. Even the servant killed to be Laenor's stand-in barely gets a second of time. Compared to Aegon who is a violent rapist (we get like 5 minutes of one of his victims crying), is for goddamn child fighting death matches, masturbates out a loving window, and is never seen interacting with his kids, and never interacts with his wife in any positive way at all.

Would have been so much better if there was less overt THIS MAN BAD THIS WOMAN GOOD poo poo. Cut the child death matches with his bastards, maybe show him as a kid being neglected by Viserys who keeps fawning over his oldest daughter instead, show R being nasty and cruel to her half-brothers.
Make it seem the threat of her executing them if she takes the throne an actual thing! Aegon didn't even want to be loving king, per the books, until his mother convinced him he would be killed if R took the crown.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There was a guy I worked with who described an alien as "looking like that monster from Predator 2."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

credburn posted:

There was a guy I worked with who described an alien as "looking like that monster from Predator 2."

Hey Garry Busey’s not that bad.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Re: Predators on hunts, an old front page (inb4 "There's a front page?") article on the subject.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-stripe-predator/1/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

null_pointer posted:

Definitely valid interpretation, though apparently the script notes specify it's a younger one, probably more the equivalent of a trust fund shithead who wants to feel like a real man. Same poo poo, really. The first movie's one is more like a big game hunter who goes after a wolfpack and gets cocky.

A lot of the side material (or EU, groan) seems to wildly miss the point that Predators are blatantly the equivalent of hunters, and they're not bringing their most powerful tech to Earth for the same reason Bubba in the woods brings a rifle rather than a nuke. (Though something about that goon who went pig hunting with a spear and a spotter drone with a thermal camera) A big part of what makes it effective horror is not just the capabilities of the Predators, but their arbitrary behaviour; being on paper able and trying to fight back makes you fair game, regardless of whether you pose any realistic threat. The Predator in 2 even spares a cop when through his heat vision he can see she's pregnant, after killing half the passengers of a subway car because they'd drawn guns. A hunter might spare the young, the females and certain endangered species, but the prey sure as heck doesn't see it that way.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Someone pointed out that pretty much all the Predators we see (minus the one from A VS OP 2) all die to humans, so they're the equivalent of the Predator dentist going on safari hunts, and now I can't get that out of my head.

IIMM House of the Dragon style: I admit I am sick of the whole Disney thing where we don't get clear bad guys, but HOTD went full the other way, and made it very very clear we are supposed to pick the princess over the prince to rule: Rhaeynera is shown to have little faults, is super open minded and supportive of her gay husband, and her assault on Cole is played more for seduction instead of a power play/coercive sex. Even the servant killed to be Laenor's stand-in barely gets a second of time. Compared to Aegon who is a violent rapist (we get like 5 minutes of one of his victims crying), is for goddamn child fighting death matches, masturbates out a loving window, and is never seen interacting with his kids, and never interacts with his wife in any positive way at all.

Would have been so much better if there was less overt THIS MAN BAD THIS WOMAN GOOD poo poo. Cut the child death matches with his bastards, maybe show him as a kid being neglected by Viserys who keeps fawning over his oldest daughter instead, show R being nasty and cruel to her half-brothers.
Make it seem the threat of her executing them if she takes the throne an actual thing! Aegon didn't even want to be loving king, per the books, until his mother convinced him he would be killed if R took the crown.

It took me entirely too long to work out this was not in reference to uwe boll's House of the Dead. I knew I didn't pay much attention to it when I watched it but I'm pretty sure I would have remembered royalty.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Disagree on Rhaenyra being faultless, she is a bit of dumbass with endangering the realm by keeping having kids that are obviously not Laenor's. I think she has trouble seeing past her own wants. Aegon sucks rear end for sure, but the the conflict isn't Rhaenyra vs. Aegon, it's Black vs. Green. Who sits on the throne ultimately doesn't matter without a support structure. I think the show's sympathy is a little bit balanced on Rhaenyra's side, but it's still quite complicated with Daemon being a big wildcard as to what horrible poo poo he will get to, Alicent being a good person who is being controlled by his father, etc.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Taeke posted:

And it was just really cool to realize that technology got to the point where something like that can be changed as needed.

Demolition Man was ahead of its time when they replaced Taco Bell with Pizza Hut for the markets where people didn't know Taco Bell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm getting a lil annoyed at all these isekai anime that are being released. 90% of em are some guy or girl gets sucked into some random video game's world and they know everything about it, but so far every one I've watched has yet to have some poor fucker get yoinked into some bethesda-esque nightmare of bugs and random poo poo.

All the power fantasy shows now suffer from two big problems*

1) The protagonist is almost immediately overpowered or relies on "I did it 5 minutes ago" bullshit where they pre-defeat enemies before the engagement even starts making the whole thing pointless, and

2) slavery

* and all the other problems

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Modern anime certainly has an even more distinct than before shamelessness about finding new depths of pandering to the most pathetic audiences it can find. Don't a lot of those shows specifically target relatively tiny demographics of sad nerds with no lives who'll pay ridiculously inflated prices for merchandise and DVDs?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Disagree on Rhaenyra being faultless, she is a bit of dumbass with endangering the realm by keeping having kids that are obviously not Laenor's. I think she has trouble seeing past her own wants. Aegon sucks rear end for sure, but the the conflict isn't Rhaenyra vs. Aegon, it's Black vs. Green. Who sits on the throne ultimately doesn't matter without a support structure. I think the show's sympathy is a little bit balanced on Rhaenyra's side, but it's still quite complicated with Daemon being a big wildcard as to what horrible poo poo he will get to, Alicent being a good person who is being controlled by his father, etc.

Even the bad poo poo Daemon does is swept away though. Killing the servant to pose as dead Laenor, murdering his loving first wife with a rock (think marriage in Westeros is bad? Look at their divorces!). The Strong bastards are shown as hardworking and loyal and good kids, compared to the Green kids who are weird at best and loving monsters at worst.

The show really dropped the ball on so many things. The time skips, making Alicent far less Lady Macbeth, giving little characterization with all the skips, etc. There's no reason the first season couldn't have built up and ended with R having a clear bastard, so we at least got a sense of the characters.

Compare to Starks and Lannisters in GOT: we aren't supposed to like Cersei and Jamie and Joffrey, but Tyrion is a Lannister and he's amazing witty and fun and entertaining to watch, has a heart under all the wit too. The Starks are clearly the heroes but they're kinda dumb. So we root for one team but we still like the other team, well, one member of it. Maybe two if you found Bran super annoying and were glad Jamie yeeted him from a window.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Modern anime certainly has an even more distinct than before shamelessness about finding new depths of pandering to the most pathetic audiences it can find. Don't a lot of those shows specifically target relatively tiny demographics of sad nerds with no lives who'll pay ridiculously inflated prices for merchandise and DVDs?

The whole 'fell into a computer game' and there are levels and stats and the characters can see their opponent is level 38 is just so loving lazy, too.

I'm slowly getting back into the medium, while doing what I can to avoid the problematic ones and, yeah, they're all about pandering to the worst audiences. Which I suppose is a consequence of pumping out a million shows all trying to catch s relatively small market of cashed-up perverts.

I know anime statuettes can go for insane figures. I also, sadly, know what some weebs do to them.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The whole 'fell into a computer game' and there are levels and stats and the characters can see their opponent is level 38 is just so loving lazy, too.

I'm slowly getting back into the medium, while doing what I can to avoid the problematic ones and, yeah, they're all about pandering to the worst audiences. Which I suppose is a consequence of pumping out a million shows all trying to catch s relatively small market of cashed-up perverts.

I know anime statuettes can go for insane figures. I also, sadly, know what some weebs do to them.

Agreed. It'd be more immersive if the protagonist would just size up their opponent and realize that it scowls at them, ready to attack. And that it looks like quite a gamble.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Dopilsya posted:

Agreed. It'd be more immersive if the protagonist would just size up their opponent and realize that it scowls at them, ready to attack. And that it looks like quite a gamble.

That would be insane!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is why the only isekai I watch is one where the person is a weirdo when the fall into world, is a weirdo (though a powerful one) in the world, comes back and shows his memories, and everyone that watches them comments on what a weirdo he is.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Should make an anime about someone who falls into to a game, but it a lovely poorly coded asset flip, so they are just stuck in the first level tutorial forever because they encounter a bug making it impossible to get any further.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I subscribe to two anime channels on YT because one had the new Gundam and the other had Spy x Family (though one or maybe both only work when I VPN in from southeast asia) and holy gently caress, this is every other anime on both of those channels now. "The Underleveled Paladin Wants To Bang The Sub-Boss" "The Tank Is Stuck In A Labyrinth" "Level 50 Harem Dungeon" blah blah blah and so on.

I mean yeah I sorta enjoyed Sword Art Online (well, the first season at least) but I can't imagine wanting to watch another show in that very specific genre. But I guess it's the same as when Twilight was big; I worked in a bookstore back then and every other YA series for a while was about vampires and werewolves. One book/show explodes in popularity, everyone else decides they need to get in on that.

Morpheus posted:

This is why the only isekai I watch is one where the person is a weirdo when the fall into world, is a weirdo (though a powerful one) in the world, comes back and shows his memories, and everyone that watches them comments on what a weirdo he is.

Oh no wait, I watched this too while I had netflix. At least until it went on extended hiatus (Covid? Natural disaster? Can't remember). But this one was less pandering to gamers and more gamers are awkward dorks.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Isekai’d into a videogame world but Jerma controls everything.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Should make an anime about someone who falls into to a game, but it a lovely poorly coded asset flip, so they are just stuck in the first level tutorial forever because they encounter a bug making it impossible to get any further.

I mean, isn't that kind of the plot of .Hack?

Edit: what is Isekai anyways, is it just "person from the "real" world is magically teleported to another time/dimension, shenanigans ensue" and if so... that's been around for decades, why did it suddenly get slapped with a label and suddenly everyone seems to be acting like it's some revolutionary thing? There's got to be more than that... right?

Randalor has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jan 24, 2024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
.hack did some interesting stuff with it, like in the /Sign anime where at one point the protagonist dies and respawns, but because they've been stuck in their avatar for so long they've started to see it as their actual body it really messes with their head.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

Edit: what is Isekai anyways, is it just "person from the "real" world is magically teleported to another time/dimension, shenanigans ensue" and if so... that's been around for decades, why did it suddenly get slapped with a label and suddenly everyone seems to be acting like it's some revolutionary thing? There's got to be more than that... right?

Yeah essentially, I remember memes about Army of Darkness and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court being isekais a few years ago already.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Flight of Dragons, IMO

Loved that as a kid.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

Once Truck-kun enters your dream he won't leave until you do what he says, and his agents are all over the road. :ohdear:

Some of the newer ones are loving hilarious, like I'm in love with the Villainess, but it seems like more and more are going the "yea, I own slaves, but it's ok because I love them and treat them well and they love me and I am a nice owner!" route and maybe it's the white southern guy part of me but holy poo poo that's :redflag: x1000.

I tried watching chained warrior but after the first episode I realized some dude got paid a shitload of money to write his weirdo bsdm fantasies.

It's a really odd cultural shift considering the last animes I watched were like trigun and Hellsing and DBZ.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's a really odd cultural shift considering the last animes I watched were like trigun and Hellsing and DBZ.
Speaking of rationally irritating media moments, the Trigun remake wasn't terrible but it was a really stupid choice to pull back the curtain on Vash in the first loving episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a fun DBZ isekai where a super fan gets reincarnated as Yamcha during original Dragon Ball. He exploits his knowledge of the series to make Yamcha one of the strongest fighters.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FFT posted:

Speaking of rationally irritating media moments, the Trigun remake wasn't terrible but it was a really stupid choice to pull back the curtain on Vash in the first loving episode.

I’ve only watched the first episode of that but yeah, diving right into the Vash/Knives poo poo as a cold open kinda ruins the whole mystique of it all.

Slick as hell animation though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Dbza is still one of the best fan-made animes ever and I will go to my grave saying that.