Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Smugworth posted:

Sorry I don't have the ability to replay the eppie, I watch on live cable

is you’re tivo broke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Smugworth I’m reporting every post in which the word “ep*ie” is used.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Smugworth I’m reporting every post in which the word “ep*ie” is used.

Lol sorry that's just how us zoomers talk old man

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I'm into the setting and the proceedings so far, but goddamn the music selection sucks and adds nothing. There are also mirad little details that needle me as being unforced errors. Things like Navarro's dimple piercings. Like I understand the actor has them IRL but in an environment where you're dealing with sub zero temperatures for most of the year it comes across as incredibly stupid. It would be different if they acknowledged it at all, but they don't. The AI posters were a giant oops that Lopez's excuses for just make the crew look collectively bad. Some of the relationships are not clear either, particularly Fosters character and the Inuk girl she seems to have responsibility for? Like I think they're estranged parent and child? But they only ever briefly mention her dad and not what Fosters relationship to him was.

Overall I'm disappointed because the setting has a lot of potential, especially for the sort of show the first season was. It just seems like they understood aesthetically how to evoke the tone they want but completely fumble or ignore any of the supporting details.

Lynchian Xylophone
Sep 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Saganlives posted:

I'm into the setting and the proceedings so far, but goddamn the music selection sucks and adds nothing. There are also mirad little details that needle me as being unforced errors. Things like Navarro's dimple piercings. Like I understand the actor has them IRL but in an environment where you're dealing with sub zero temperatures for most of the year it comes across as incredibly stupid. It would be different if they acknowledged it at all, but they don't. The AI posters were a giant oops that Lopez's excuses for just make the crew look collectively bad. Some of the relationships are not clear either, particularly Fosters character and the Inuk girl she seems to have responsibility for? Like I think they're estranged parent and child? But they only ever briefly mention her dad and not what Fosters relationship to him was.

Overall I'm disappointed because the setting has a lot of potential, especially for the sort of show the first season was. It just seems like they understood aesthetically how to evoke the tone they want but completely fumble or ignore any of the supporting details.

The music has been decent but I agree with you about the details. Like, the show has an astounding lack of hat hair. Nobody looks like they were sweating under their many layers. The outdoor foul weather gear looks clean n shiny, no water or salt stains. These little details add up. In S1, I felt those characters sweating profusely in the southern sun.

Like when they were describing the research lab, it was something like "they stay locked up, always the same people up there, they don't interact with anybody local" and the next sentence was "the lab has been open for decades." So it's always the same people across decades?? That's wobbly writing and a lack of attention to detail.

I hope all the background drama for our main characters is resolved ASAP, I'm starting to feel teased.

To be clear, I want to love this show.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Lynchian Xylophone posted:

I want to love every show. :(

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think you could see their breaths when they're outside.

I just went back and spot checked a view scenes and lol, there isn't any at all. Isn't the cold supposed to be an oppressive part of the setting? Come on, you guys.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saganlives posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think you could see their breaths when they're outside.

I just went back and spot checked a view scenes and lol, there isn't any at all. Isn't the cold supposed to be an oppressive part of the setting? Come on, you guys.

They’re all ghosts

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

They’re all ghosts

:ibadpop:

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

They’re all ghosts

More details support this than the canon situation.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Nah, you see their breath, it's just mostly that lovely CGI fake breath.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The music has been decent but I agree with you about the details. Like, the show has an astounding lack of hat hair. Nobody looks like they were sweating under their many layers. The outdoor foul weather gear looks clean n shiny, no water or salt stains. These little details add up. In S1, I felt those characters sweating profusely in the southern sun.

Like when they were describing the research lab, it was something like "they stay locked up, always the same people up there, they don't interact with anybody local" and the next sentence was "the lab has been open for decades." So it's always the same people across decades?? That's wobbly writing and a lack of attention to detail.

I hope all the background drama for our main characters is resolved ASAP, I'm starting to feel teased.

You also forgot “they keep the doors unlocked at all times, just in case of an emergency”, followed shortly by “so a polar bear could have just walked in? Yep.”

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Nah, you see their breath, it's just mostly that lovely CGI fake breath.

You made me go back and look more carefully, and in the half dozen scenes I rewatched I saw it in two. (And it was very, very faint.) The whole opening of episode 2 where they are exposing the human rat-king there is no visible breath on anyone until the last shot. So I'll shift to "they are inconsistent about it" which frankly seems worse to me as a matter of craft.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
It was a cool bit, but the scientist still being alive after being frozen solid, naked, in -50° tundra for a week is a stretch of the imagination

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

LaserPrinter69 posted:

It was a cool bit, but the scientist still being alive after being frozen solid, naked, in -50° tundra for a week is a stretch of the imagination

I feel like 45 minutes would have been implausible.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The music has been decent

kind of an extreme take tbh

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"When your mother left us 9 years ago because of my alcoholism before tragically dying in a traffic accident 4 years later..."

kntfkr posted:

Agnes Obel gets a pass.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

The opening isn't bad either

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
There was one scene in which a character opens a window to smoke, but the smoke just drifts away normally and isn’t affected by the window at all.

MAX Amateur hour

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i;'ve only seen ep 1 but, but i hated the clunky expository lines like "oh hey, remember how we are sisters and share a traumatic past" or "remember that time of the bad stuff and i'm not your real daughter -- we sure don't talk about it much. Anyway, lets move this plot along."

clunky poo poo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Prestige television

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I just looked and it's a shame they didn't keep T Bone Burnett to pick the music. The season 1 soundtrack was freaking epic. But I'm sure this one will be just as epic!

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Buce posted:

i;'ve only seen ep 1 but, but i hated the clunky expository lines like "oh hey, remember how we are sisters and share a traumatic past" or "remember that time of the bad stuff and i'm not your real daughter -- we sure don't talk about it much. Anyway, lets move this plot along."

clunky poo poo

This is exactly why I think the boyfriend is going to get eaten by the dogs.

“One of these days those dogs aren’t going to eat you.”

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

The opening isn't bad either

go smug yourself fuckworth

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That Spice Girls sing a long in the car was so natural and well performed that I forgot that I was watching PRESTIGE TELEVISION for a second. I was Navarro's sister.

NAVARRO: Hey sis'! Listen to this! Zigga zig ah! This was our jam, "back in the day"! Ha ha ha! Big smile! Happier and with your open! I say get 'em liquored up and take em to the PEACH TREE DANCE!

Sis? Sis r u there?

INT: ABUSIVE BEDROOM

NAVARRO HSA A FLASHBACK TO HER ABUSIVE MOM ABUSING YOUNG NAVARRO

I mean..... wow. Real art makes you feel something, even if it's challenging or unpleasant. Sometime I forget how powerful PRESTIGE TELEVISION can be.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

go smug yourself fuckworth

Queuing a sixer

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Ah shitttttttttttttttt nooooooooooooooooooooo

(sixer me on this post)

(sixer me timbers)

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

They had better have an episode that explains what that necklace was for and why she threw it out of the window.

In that episode they should flashback to this episode when she threw it out.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It was a cross. She was throwing off the shackles of christianity and the associated trauma it has historically inflicted upon the native people of north america. You see it's a ll very smart. You have to pay close attention or you'll miss important subtext of this shallow slop.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

kntfkr posted:

It was a cross. She was throwing off the shackles of christianity and the associated trauma it has historically inflicted upon the native people of north america. You see it's a ll very smart. You have to pay close attention or you'll miss important subtext of this shallow slop.

poo poo, I had no idea. I was walking around and messing about on my phone.

Though I think maybe she was like putting the cross down at a crossroads to ward it against spirits.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

covidstomper58 posted:

poo poo, I had no idea. I was walking around and messing about on my phone.

Though I think maybe she was like putting the cross down at a crossroads to ward it against spirits.

It was her mom's. She threw it away because of the lovely memories it brought up. Are you people even loving watching this piece of poo poo?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Relying on flashbacks is a hallmark of brilliant television.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Chrs posted:

This is exactly why I think the boyfriend is going to get eaten by the dogs.

“One of these days those dogs aren’t going to eat you.”

They were alluding to their relationship with each other:

[To his dog whose wounds he is tending to] "Stubborn lady ain't ya, picking fights with those big boys."

Navarro walks in.

"One of these days those dogs are gonna eat you."

"Nah, me and this girl go way back, huh gorgeous? She thinks she's real tough, come close and she snaps at you. Deep down she's a softy. She just needs a little love and affection. Then she's gonna melt."

Navarro rolls eyes and leaves.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jodie Foster is a terrible actress in this. The second episode was all kinds of bad. Pulling out a book on the rules and regulations and explaining that she had jurisdiction or whatever. True Detective nosedived halfway through season 2 and has never been good since.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

huh posted:

They were alluding to their relationship with each other:

[To his dog whose wounds he is tending to] "Stubborn lady ain't ya, picking fights with those big boys."

Navarro walks in.

"One of these days those dogs are gonna eat you."

"Nah, me and this girl go way back, huh gorgeous? She thinks she's real tough, come close and she snaps at you. Deep down she's a softy. She just needs a little love and affection. Then she's gonna melt."

Navarro rolls eyes and leaves.

Move over Shakespeare.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Jodie Foster is a terrible actress in this. The second episode was all kinds of bad. Pulling out a book on the rules and regulations and explaining that she had jurisdiction or whatever. True Detective nosedived halfway through season 2 and has never been good since.

She has nothing to work with to be fair but it's hard to respect her decision to take this role. Money aside, it shows a lack of integrity.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

Relying on flashbacks is a hallmark of brilliant television.

season 1 was almost entirely a flashback

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

season 1 was almost entirely a flashback

no, that was jumping around to different timelines/years. at no point did any character flashback to their traumatic childhood and subsequent casting off of religious symbolism.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You’re all gonna be singing a different tune when your expectations are completely subverted in the penultimate episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Fargo Season 4 is alright, but the murdernurse should have her own season. She has barely anything to do with the plot but she's the best part.