Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Dance McPants posted:

But extrapolating that to say the backups are better than other teams starters is a stretch. The depth is still there (for now) and as long as Moore stays it shouldn't be a total collapse. As was said before we got that natty so who cares, I'm fine with a dozen 7-10 win seasons after this.

I think the offence should be fine if Moore gets the keys, but if Minter follows Harbs, there's probably a few guys on D that were waiting for that decision. is there an internal promotion there that the guys would stay for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mike_V posted:

How funny would it be if Brian Kelly jumped to Michigan?

Not a thing, outside of his agent bringing it up to some random reporter :v:

pseudodragon posted:

I think the offence should be fine if Moore gets the keys, but if Minter follows Harbs, there's probably a few guys on D that were waiting for that decision. is there an internal promotion there that the guys would stay for?

Per Sam Webb/247, lots of lower-level dudes would stay. As an example: the most important spot (per other coaches) is the Strength coach that Michigan's currently paying $1M. The NFL doesn't pay strength coaches that much, plus he has kids in the area. We're also getting a lot of rumor floats about instrumental assistants and analysts that could be bumped up.

The Baltimore Ravens tree might be plucked clean by this point (hell, the DC is probably going to be a HC), so it's unclear on if Michigan can get anyone that knows the Ravens' system as well. Though Minter's still on the recruiting trail, Michigan probably knows he's gone to the NFL, even if offered a giant salary bump.

edit: but who really cares, natty

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 23, 2024

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Judgy Fucker posted:

Updated my Big 12 prestige rankings following this past season.

Each season each team gets their conference record ratio (eg, going 5-4 gets you .556 points), runner-up in conference championship game OR being the head-to-head loser in a co-champion season is .5 bonus points, winning the B12CCG or being the head-to-head winner co-champion gets you 1 bonus point.

Kansas State now the Big 12 program with the most cred.

Not usually gonna be a lot of movement from season to season, though Iowa State leapt past Texas A&M and Colorado this year.

Poor Kansas still behind a program that's been in the conference less than half as long as they have :smith:

Also, Tech really suffered from being in the South those first 15 years or whatever. Won a lot of conference games, but no bonus points.

Tech could pass Neb next year. Not bad.

And you're telling me. Big XII South was brutal. 2008 we tied for the top team in the south, losing out on just tiebreakers. That should count for something!

Also, may I share the 1994 SWC circle of suck:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/swc/1994.html
pre:
Overall	Conference	Points Per Game	SRS	Polls	
School	W	L	T	Pct	W	L	T	Pct	Off	Def	SRS	SOS	AP Pre	AP High	AP Rank	Notes
Texas	8	4	0	.667	4	3	0	.571	30.5	24.3	6.33	1.41	18	12	25	
Baylor	7	5	0	.583	4	3	0	.571	30.2	23.1	2.67	-1.41				record adjusted to 7-4-0 by NCAA
Texas Christian	7	5	0	.583	4	3	0	.571	25.2	25.1	1.31	0.39				
Texas Tech	6	6	0	.500	4	3	0	.571	26.0	20.5	5.98	1.73				
Rice	5	6	0	.455	4	3	0	.571	18.7	18.5	-2.48	-2.48				
Texas A&M	10	0	1	.955	6	0	1	.929	29.0	13.4	14.88	-0.40	15	6	8	
Houston	1	10	0	.091	1	6	0	.143	10.5	36.5	-18.23	1.23				
SMU	1	9	1	.136	0	6	1	.071	17.9	31.2	-10.16	1.84				
One of my favorite "historical" seasons, wherein 5 teams tied for 2nd in the conference with A&M having run roughshod but was ineligible for postseason play. TTU was chosen to represent the conference in the Cotton Bowl by virtue of having not been there since 1939 (the year before "the game punts rained from the sky").

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Updated my Big 12 prestige rankings following this past season.

Each season each team gets their conference record ratio (eg, going 5-4 gets you .556 points), runner-up in conference championship game OR being the head-to-head loser in a co-champion season is .5 bonus points, winning the B12CCG or being the head-to-head winner co-champion gets you 1 bonus point.

Kansas State now the Big 12 program with the most cred.

Not usually gonna be a lot of movement from season to season, though Iowa State leapt past Texas A&M and Colorado this year.

Poor Kansas still behind a program that's been in the conference less than half as long as they have :smith:

Also, Tech really suffered from being in the South those first 15 years or whatever. Won a lot of conference games, but no bonus points.

I'm glad Iowa State has finally managed to surpass teams that haven't even played in the conference for 10 years.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Saban already down here in Jupiter living the life

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mike_V posted:

Would love for mass transfers out of LSU to happen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mike_V posted:

Don’t manifest that evil

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Mike_V posted:

Dude couldn’t cut it in a second rate conference like the SEC, why would we hire him back to the Midwest?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Apparently Michigan was offering $12.5M, and the Chargers have outbid that

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Komet posted:

Apparently Michigan was offering $12.5M, and the Chargers have outbid that

Not saying this in an annoyed / disparaging way, but can you post your sources on this stuff? I'm not seeing much of anything on my feed other than today was the second interview for LA (and striking distance report) and the second interview for Atlanta is done already. No numbers reported at all, other than speculation that the LA owner is cheap as gently caress on coaching salaries.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously, the most important thing for Michigan right now is making sure they get the most Michigan Man. That's right, PJ Fleck Scot Loeffler.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Spacebump posted:

Would love for mass transfers out of LSU to happen.

We had our Ed O moment a couple of years back already.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Amy Pole Her posted:

Saban already down here in Jupiter living the life

Where's he hanging out?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
UGA X died. I feel like that mascot has the highest turnover

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Not saying this in an annoyed / disparaging way, but can you post your sources on this stuff? I'm not seeing much of anything on my feed other than today was the second interview for LA (and striking distance report) and the second interview for Atlanta is done already. No numbers reported at all, other than speculation that the LA owner is cheap as gently caress on coaching salaries.

https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1749914102648963456?t=VFoWTwOTOSg6EAVRNGlaPA&s=19

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

The only breed that has worse breathing problems is Pugs.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

I’ve seen salary numbers coming out today. I feel like he knew the non firing clause was a poison pill to getting a contract done that allows him to leave Michigan while being able to say they just couldn’t get a deal done. I think he was always leaving to the nfl after winning a championship tho.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGZwHCyXOzQ

Does this qualify as a Vols, Bitch?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

I think he was always leaving to the nfl after winning a championship tho.

I tend to agree. For all the "he's a total weirdo" talk, he does come off like one of those guys that's definitely committed to "doing better." He coached in a Super Bowl and that just says to me that he's never going to be satisfied without correcting that Super Bowl loss.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Highly likely to all of the above! The money thing is now, thought that old 10-year contract officer wasn't actually "real" but more of an agent-led float. Definitely a whole lot to the contract clause thing though, probably more to just never winning a super bowl.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

He retired after the 2022 season. Uga XI (Boom Motherfucker) took over this year.

Uga X was 10 years old. Maybe they're finally improving the genetics.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Dubs has entered the transfer portal and is visiting Georgia.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Dubs has entered the transfer portal and is visiting Georgia.

Dubs just committed to Ohio State

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/TJAltimore/status/1749970673085096269?ref_src=tws

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sounds like we need more conference realignment

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Now do the same chart but for time windows for the games.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Silly Burrito posted:

We had our Ed O moment a couple of years back already.

Did the portal even exist then? Losing your coach this late in the offseason seems like death now.

Overvaluing this kind of poo poo too much is going to kill cfb.

Everything being money driven by “brands” will lead to cutting out too many schools and then half the viewers being gone.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 24, 2024

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

auburn must have made it bc they play so many of those other teams

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Soul Glo posted:

auburn must have made it bc they play so many of those other teams

Auburn is just a fascinating thing you cannot look away from once you realize it exists too though. You want to try to understand and never will.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I'm extremely not shocked. I guess at least the university president is running out of friends.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My guess is Harbaugh to Chargers is done and all this delay is him trying to make sure there’s not an exodus when he leaves Michigan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There’s still no source besides Outkick. The Detroit papers aren’t running anything yet.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

When the Super League inevitably forms, it starts with those 18 teams and adds six more, probably some ACC schools above the Mason Dixion line, but that's what major college football will look like in ten years or so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

When the Super League inevitably forms, it starts with those 18 teams and adds six more, probably some ACC schools above the Mason Dixion line, but that's what major college football will look like in ten years or so.

Here’s the thing I keep coming back to, though:

Not all of those teams can go 10-2 every season in a Super League format. Hell, we’re going to have to adjust to potential playoff teams having 3 losses with the beefed-up SEC and Big Ten next year. And that includes a lot of those 18 teams listed above.

I am not sure the interest will survive if all we get is these kinds of helmet games, because I think a lot of the interest is in having 5 big leagues provide that many big names who are in contention every year. I’m not convinced it’s the NFL, where good or bad, people tune in.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

There’s still no source besides Outkick. The Detroit papers aren’t running anything yet.

Are you saying outkick isn’t credible just because it’s run by one of the larger braying jackasses on earth?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

This is somewhat self-fulfilling, is it not? Those schools get all of the prime viewership slots.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This is somewhat self-fulfilling, is it not? Those schools get all of the prime viewership slots.
Correct. As an anecdote, I don't care about most of those teams but I ended up watching a decent number of their games because that's what was on!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

It’s mildly self-fulfilling, but at the same time a solid majority of FBS games are either going in the mid-afternoon or evening slots (even excluding Pacific after dark slots), though they do decrease in availability the further right you go on the graphic.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

QB Will Rogers has reflected and wisely decided to withdraw from transfer portal. The qb will remain at Washington, where he will win games and pet huskies.

Tremendous news, #blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

He retired after the 2022 season. Uga XI (Boom Motherfucker) took over this year.

Uga X was 10 years old. Maybe they're finally improving the genetics.

and Uga IX, who wasn't inbred to Charles II levels and was allowed to have a brown spot or two, lived to be 11.