Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gotta say the flute playing woman with weird eyes is a scarier form than a dancing clown. Dude looks like he owes Nucky a debt, I'd just throw some laudanum at him and the movie would be over. Michael Shannon would kick Pennywise's rear end and then drown him through baptism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I think Part 2 gets a worse rap than it deserves but is also not nearly as good as Part 1; I lay this more on Stephen King than the filmmakers, though. The adult portions of the story are just not as compelling as the childhood parts.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Part 1 is definitely a much more palatable piece of work by every traditional metric, being an intentionally nostalgic monster adventure about growing up, but part 2 gets a lot of points from me just from a thematic perspective - I found the pervasive melancholy and "you can't go back, nor should you want to" message, along with the Queer Art Of Failure principles, to be moving and affecting. I'm not as in love with either part as some of my friends, but part 1 is a great movie to put on every Halloween so to most people it will automatically get more points than part 2, which is stranger, duller, sadder, and overall a more complicated work. They rate about the same for me.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

A Fancy Hat posted:

My wife and I go to the Living Dead Weekend outside of Pittsburgh every year. This past summer was all focused on Dawn of the Dead and, sadly, David Emge wasn't able to make it due to health issues. A huge bummer that he's passed but it's a hell of legacy to be in one of the (if not THE) most influential horror movies of all time.
I really should have gone to those Zombie Walks they had in the Mall back in the day; it's like the one thing people know about my town. RIP everytime I see him do that zombie walk in the movie I don't know how he didn't gently caress up his ankle

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Part 1 is definitely a much more palatable piece of work by every traditional metric, being an intentionally nostalgic monster adventure about growing up, but part 2 gets a lot of points from me just from a thematic perspective
IT Part I is also a lean 94 minute spook-em-up with great performances by all the kids; IT Part II is almost 3 goddamn hours and feels every but of it

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

My big problem with Part 2, outside of just not being as fun without the kids- is that the tons of repeated imagery, scares, and callbacks would be a bit more acceptable if I was watching the films many years apart, not two. I couldn’t imagine doing it back to back. Would be boring as hell.

And ultimately, Part 2 is always going to get saddled with the underwhelming ending.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shrecknet posted:

IT Part I is also a lean 94 minute spook-em-up with great performances by all the kids; IT Part II is almost 3 goddamn hours and feels every but of it

Part 2 is hurt by its structure. The viewer pretty quickly cottons onto the idea that we're gonna go through each character and do a kid and adult vignette with them, and there are enough characters that it absolutely draaaaaaaaaaaaaaags.

"O gently caress, each of these is like 20 minutes and there are 7 characters gently caress me running..."

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

All of those are fair criticisms (except regarding the ending, which really moved me, especially that ending monologue). Maybe I was just in the right frame of mind when I watched them back-to-back because I soared through them until the dip in the third act. Like I say, Part 2 isn't going to be in my regular rotation any time soon but the harshness leveled towards it can sometimes feel pretty over-the-top. I liked it :shrug:

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Xiahou Dun posted:

"O gently caress, each of these is like 20 minutes and there are 7 characters gently caress me running..."
This is absolutely what killed the movie for me. It was rough.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

All of those are fair criticisms (except regarding the ending, which really moved me, especially that ending monologue). Maybe I was just in the right frame of mind when I watched them back-to-back because I soared through them until the dip in the third act. Like I say, Part 2 isn't going to be in my regular rotation any time soon but the harshness leveled towards it can sometimes feel pretty over-the-top. I liked it :shrug:

By ending I refer to the final confrontation which for me doesn’t live up to the buildup over two films. The emotional payoff is done well sure, though I still have some big problems with how they handle Stanley’s suicide. I don’t think it’s a bad film at all, but its just always going to suffer in comparison to the first and it’s in desperate need of an edit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll always appreciate the message that you need to yell at your bullies until they die bc they’re stupid lol

I like when pennywise turns into a pathetic pancake

But idk I haven’t rewatched the whole movie in awhile , and the flash was so bad. Like an all time worst big budget movie ever made thing

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

achillesforever6 posted:

I really should have gone to those Zombie Walks they had in the Mall back in the day; it's like the one thing people know about my town. RIP everytime I see him do that zombie walk in the movie I don't know how he didn't gently caress up his ankle

Living Dead Weekend still kicks rear end, but it's not as fun as those were. But you still get fun stuff like the boba tea place at the mall serving zombie brains or getting to see Tom Savini running over to Auntie Anne's for a pretzel before his panel starts.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It Chapter 1 was great. I like it a little less now because some of the jump scares are a bit hackneyed, but it's still really good and it's among the best Stephen King adaptations.

It Chapter 2 feels like they were terrified to release the movie, unaware of WHY people liked the first part, so they just did EVERYTHING the first movie did except more. It still has really effective scenes, like Pennywise and the little girl or the sepia-toned nightmare with the lumberjack statue. But it also has a lot of fluff, a lot of scenes that don't hit as well (the puking zombie with the song, especially), and the ending was a dud for me.

The Stephen King cameo is kind of a perfect microcosm of the movie for me. It's funny and charming at first but by the 2nd or 3rd time King makes a joke about not being able to write an ending it's like "I get it, we can move on".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I kind of like the puking-zombie-Just Call Me Angel thing.

It's dumb as gently caress, but it's such a big surreal swing out of nowhere that I can't do anything but smile.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's 100% something they threw in there as a joke during editing and somehow didn't remove

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

I think Part 2 gets a worse rap than it deserves

i think Part 2 does not get enough of a bad rap personally.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's 100% something they threw in there as a joke during editing and somehow didn't remove

Perhaps. But the flash had jokes like that all over the movie

Deeply weird experience

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The adult section of IT is always going to be weaker because the adult sections of the book are largely just intros and codas for the kids sections, which are the meat of the work.

I liked the new adaptation, both parts, but I feel like moving the narrative forward in time also hurts some of the overall themes of the novel. A big part of the book is the idea that the 50's era "golden age" of small town americana was only a golden age if you fit into a very specific mold. I dont think there's anywhere near the sort of unexamined nostalgia for the late 80s now as there was for the 50's in the mid-80s.

Honestly, my favorite parts of the book have always been the parts that aren't the adults or kids. Mike's historical research on Derry is really engrossing, and I have no idea how you'd really adapt that into the overall narrative.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Honestly, my favorite parts of the book have always been the parts that aren't the adults or kids. Mike's historical research on Derry is really engrossing, and I have no idea how you'd really adapt that into the overall narrative.

You make a prequel TV Series for HBO Max.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19244304/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s insane to me they couldn’t get bill skarsgard back

Fine don’t put the clown in it but come on. What’s the point of even watching it an It show if there’s no It lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

You make a prequel TV Series for HBO Max.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19244304/

this feels like a tax writeoff

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

O definitely. Part of why I can't argue with it too hard is it's the exact same poo poo I'd do. Somewhere, out there, is still the lovely student film I did that was 15 minutes of over-the-top gritty violence followed by cut to black and the Sanford and Son theme. Just because we thought it was the funniest poo poo in the world and were 19.

The adult section of IT is always going to be weaker because the adult sections of the book are largely just intros and codas for the kids sections, which are the meat of the work.

I liked the new adaptation, both parts, but I feel like moving the narrative forward in time also hurts some of the overall themes of the novel. A big part of the book is the idea that the 50's era "golden age" of small town americana was only a golden age if you fit into a very specific mold. I dont think there's anywhere near the sort of unexamined nostalgia for the late 80s now as there was for the 50's in the mid-80s.

Also all of this is correct in regards to the book. Especially how the best part is the creepy history of Derry, ME.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also all of this is correct in regards to the book. Especially how the best part is the creepy history of Derry, ME.

It needs to be a full series, that's the only way you'd ever have a chance of really fleshing out the history of Derry and properly establishing all of the characters. In a series you could handle it a few different ways, like you could just dedicate an entire episode to Mike's history lessons, or even better you could open every episode with a little prologue of Derry history just to start the episode off with something creepy.

With the movies still fresh in everyone's mind though, I doubt we'll see another adaptation for at least a decade or two.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shrecknet posted:

It's hard to believe how much they pack into that 94 minutes, I remember being shocked when I realized that. I loved it on release but it really is a masterpiece compared to its sequel, lol.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

It needs to be a full series, that's the only way you'd ever have a chance of really fleshing out the history of Derry and properly establishing all of the characters. In a series you could handle it a few different ways, like you could just dedicate an entire episode to Mike's history lessons, or even better you could open every episode with a little prologue of Derry history just to start the episode off with something creepy.

With the movies still fresh in everyone's mind though, I doubt we'll see another adaptation for at least a decade or two.

And that'd be a way to neatly solve the problem with the two time periods. Instead of having to put them in separate movies, you can do what the book does and jump back and forth. Time jumps between eras is cool and good and engaging.

But yeah, they'd need to wait a while to do anything. If nothing else you'd need a good-sized stable of good child actors, i.e. a thing rarer than gold.

Hey HBO make me the showrunner for a show about John Langan's haunted Hudson Valley of Upstate New York. Just an anthology series of creepy poo poo happening in my home region. Steve Buscemi lives around here, I'm sure he'd sign up. Think of it like Maine with a big river in the middle and lots of Dutch place names.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
ItCh 2 gave us the story about Skarsgard showing Bill Hader his eye trick, and its existence is justified by that

I figure those photos were staged and the actual story happened without a convenient camera nearby, but I don't care, still funny

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 23, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just kind of didn't enjoy Bill Skarsgards' portrayal of It. It was too generic and replaceable. I think he was stuck behind a rock and a hard place because he either was going to have to copy Tim Curry's unique performance or just be a scary, glowering monster. Kind of like how no one can do Heath Ledger's Joker again.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I just want some kind of filmed version of the Ritual of Chud. I know it's weird but it's not THAT weird, people nowadays know what cosmic horror is. You can show Pennywise and Bill having a mental battle on the cosmic plane, you can show Pennywise arriving on a primordial Earth. I'm hoping the TV show realizes this and really amps up some of the weird and eerie parts of the book.

That was my biggest single issue with part 2, the ending was a flop and tried to repeat the cathartic ending of part 1. Because part 1's ending rules, by that point you really just want to see them beat the poo poo out of that clown.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Change of subject because I was too sleepy to type it last night :

You know who's amazing in 30 Coins and doesn't get enough love? Javier Bodalo as Antonio, the village idiot. I love how he's got no self-consciousness about it, just totally owning his role as a filthy little weirdo. Dude must have had so much fun.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's called elevated horror Tone. Ya there's no horror in it and it's just trying to ape Rosemary's Baby. No Tone, the character's choices are supposed to be illogical, you see, cus they had this ending thought up with no way to get to it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

I just kind of didn't enjoy Bill Skarsgards' portrayal of It. It was too generic and replaceable.

It’s iconic as hell

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’m not sure the dip in quality between IT 1 and 2 was possible to avoid unless they bounced between adult and kid stories from the start. The adult stuff has always been the worst part of every version of IT I’m not counting THAT scene from the book thanks

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mike's historical sections were some of my favorites in the book. It did bother the hell out of me that they took Mike's role of the historian away and gave it to Ben of all people.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked Chapter Two fine now that I'm done. It's unfortunate that the first one is so tight and then for the last 20% of the book's story it's like almost three hours, but I had enough good will for the first film and I like the adult cast that it didn't really drag for me until the final battle and last act where I really just wanted it to loving end already.
Based on the thread I was afraid of a formulaic tedious flashback structure but I enjoyed all of that, just feel like it kinda runs out of steam and while I like how they beat Pennywise conceptually it just didn't...I don't know, look cool? Feel satisfying? I like the idea but the on screen execution was just kinda like eh.

Although the more adaptations of this I see the more I'm reminded that they all (very understandably) excise That Scene and how loving insane and grotesque and disgusting it is that Stephen King wrote it. It really isn't excusable by him being a boomer on cocaine. That's some loving bizarre sicko poo poo to write esp with how I'm already uneasy whenever King deals with characters who are victims of sexual assault (looking at you Gerald's Game). That and his weird black maid short story are honestly such terrible loving choices from him, drugs don't make you do that poo poo unless you're already sick inside. King giving cocaine a bad name.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He paid for it when that dude plowed into him lol

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

Mike's historical sections were some of my favorites in the book. It did bother the hell out of me that they took Mike's role of the historian away and gave it to Ben of all people.

totally agree, he's the best one! it's a shame that his character really ends up lost on the editing room floor in all the versions so far

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I get what he was going for in that scene, the kids enter into the sewers as children and they can't leave until they've left childhood behind with an act symbolizing the passage into adulthood, but a kiss accomplishes exactly the same thing thematically and isn't completely insane and gross!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

while that is the grossest scene, there's another scene where bev watches bowers his friend show each other their peens and he goes into a lot of detail about it. Very weird.

I got half a page into the sewer scene and then skimmed the pages and every time i turned another page my eyes got wider.

like bro. BRO. what

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

King generally writes super weird about sex. Even when it’s totally normal he makes it totally awkward. So really he just shouldn’t do it because he can’t do it. But he also thinks he needs to include it. So it’s always weird and outright horrific when he’s writing a story about kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

…That and his weird black maid short story are honestly such terrible loving choices from him, drugs don't make you do that poo poo unless you're already sick inside…

A lot has probably been written on King and race. If there isn’t, there needs to be.