Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It really does bring joy to me every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I went to see The Beekeeper tonight.

It is the most absurd, over the top Statham action vehicle yet. It might be the most Statham-est Statham that has ever Statham’d.

It’s one part The Terminal List, one part John Wick, with a little bit of Smokin’ Aces and the original Terminator film thrown in for flavor.

It’s also the first time I can recall Jeremy Irons using his American accent since he was Simon Gruber.

Caught a matinee for 5 bucks; was absolutely worth it. Just absolutely bonkers cartoon style action and fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzINZZ6iqxY

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The only thing I know about that movie is you meet other Beekeepers and none of them keep bees or talk about the world in bee metaphors. Just Statham. Which is pretty awesome

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I got a 0.1% on a movie on movigrid.io because it's a Toni Collete movie made from 1995 -2010 or something like that, only heard about because my friend played a bastard teen in it as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrpcxwlEZg

He's one of the kids next to the guy who throws chocolate milk at the shortbus in that trailer

We all went to see it at the theatre and clapped and cheered when this very not nice thing happened and there was one other person in the theatre and he was probably pretty confused

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The Peccadillo posted:

The only thing I know about that movie is you meet other Beekeepers and none of them keep bees or talk about the world in bee metaphors. Just Statham. Which is pretty awesome

There’s one other Beekeeper in the movie, and she’s given no character development, is in the movie for three minutes, and is straight out of Cyberpunk 2077 central casting. She’s got a crazy haircut and mirror Pit Viper sunglasses with a trenchcoat and is all neon blue and purple.

She shows up in a truck with a minigun in the back and her personal weapon is a rifle with a 100 round drum magazine. After Statham kills her by setting her on fire with flammable honey (after she obliterates a gas station with said minigun), the Beekeeper organization calls the ex-CIA Director and says “On second thought, don’t ask us to get involved with this.”

Everything I just said I played off as earnestly as possible in the film.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I need to stop watching super hero movies

because I just watched Aquaman 2 and somehow the CGI was worse than Ant Man Quantum.

The acting too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Gotta post a hot take in the new thread, so I'mma say that Aquaman 2 is significantly better than the first while being effectively the exact same movie.

It really speaks to the impact of context; after 6+ years of WB fuckery, what once made bank is now treated like the dog left something on the rug.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

quantumania was the last straw for me. can't do it anymore. i didn't bother going to see thor 4 in theaters but hate watched it at home and it was terrible. most of the shows are trash but i was actually excited for kang and thought he was an interesting inclusion in loki bc we finally had a big bad and something to maybe tie all of these disparate movies together again. turns out his theatrical debut was a wet fart and now he's in legal trouble so he'll probably get axed and disney will have even more of a cohesion mess on their hands.

if you haven't seen it already, watch the dungeons and dragons movie from last year. i think it nails a post-marvel silly fantasy action blockbuster that borrows from and improves on the formula that made marvel great at one point without the baggage of the current state of the mcu.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I mean, the secret is that it's actually Shared Universe fatigue. If you're like me and stopped watching these series when the wheels began spinning (i.e. almost immediately), the genuine shlock nonsense of an Aquaman 2 is a lot more palatable.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSseP8A-S9s

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

I went to see The Beekeeper tonight.

It is the most absurd, over the top Statham action vehicle yet. It might be the most Statham-est Statham that has ever Statham’d.

It’s one part The Terminal List, one part John Wick, with a little bit of Smokin’ Aces and the original Terminator film thrown in for flavor.

It’s also the first time I can recall Jeremy Irons using his American accent since he was Simon Gruber.

Caught a matinee for 5 bucks; was absolutely worth it. Just absolutely bonkers cartoon style action and fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzINZZ6iqxY

Does he not launch swarms of angry bees at his enemies? 1/10, not enough angry bees

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The other beekeeper sequence is absolutely hysterical, a clear highlight of the movie imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

I got a 0.1% on a movie on movigrid.io because it's a Toni Collete movie made from 1995 -2010 or something like that, only heard about because my friend played a bastard teen in it as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrpcxwlEZg

He's one of the kids next to the guy who throws chocolate milk at the shortbus in that trailer

We all went to see it at the theatre and clapped and cheered when this very not nice thing happened and there was one other person in the theatre and he was probably pretty confused

lol this has the replacement Alex O'Connell from mummy 3 as the autistic kid

also god bless tropic thunder for mostly killing this kind of movie

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I mean, the secret is that it's actually Shared Universe fatigue. If you're like me and stopped watching these series when the wheels began spinning (i.e. almost immediately), the genuine shlock nonsense of an Aquaman 2 is a lot more palatable.

when every movie that came out was interconnected to the plot of thanos and his big evil scheme, i could at least be on board with the episodic nature of the movies feeling like big screen prestige tv shows leading to a finale.

now, all the movies talk about having a unifying thread, but they're all just empty one-offs that hint at a multiverse but do the absolute least interesting things with the idea and none of these movies tie into each other at all, so what's the point of keeping up with it all?

i never gave much of a poo poo about the dc movies anyway, but knowing that aquaman 2 wasn't tied to anything going forward was even more of a reason to not bother.

and lastly, even tho i didn't/won't see it, the flash/keaton batman movie gets torn apart by all the movie youtubers i watch, but i kinda dig the idea of how they treat the shared universe concept at the end where there's big "globes" or whatever that have all the different universes where different actors play superman and the ones that never actually got movies like nic cage. maybe in practice it was way more ridiculous and bad but in theory i think that's at least an interesting way to handle it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

lol this has the replacement Alex O'Connell from mummy 3 as the autistic kid

also god bless tropic thunder for mostly killing this kind of movie

The guy was in character across the entire shoot, for an extra level of mid 2000s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ShoogaSlim posted:

and lastly, even tho i didn't/won't see it, the flash/keaton batman movie gets torn apart by all the movie youtubers i watch, but i kinda dig the idea of how they treat the shared universe concept at the end where there's big "globes" or whatever that have all the different universes where different actors play superman and the ones that never actually got movies like nic cage. maybe in practice it was way more ridiculous and bad but in theory i think that's at least an interesting way to handle it.

No Way Home did it first, and better, is the issue, and Flash was blatantly ripping it off after already butchering the movie.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Anyone watching Sexy Beast (2024) the Paramount+ prequel series to Jonathan Glazer’s Sexy Beast (2000)?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ShoogaSlim posted:

if you haven't seen it already, watch the dungeons and dragons movie from last year. i think it nails a post-marvel silly fantasy action blockbuster that borrows from and improves on the formula that made marvel great at one point without the baggage of the current state of the mcu.

Doctor Strange 2 was the straw that made me shrug when new Marvel flicks come out. Didn't mind Quantumania, largely because I went in with no expectations of it being good and enjoyed odds and ends in it, even if the thing is an absolute mess.

Strongly, strongly agree with this tho after just seeing Dungeons and Dragons a few days ago. That movie fuckin' rules. Way more genuinely clever than it had any right to be. Hoping it's a harbringer for these blockbusters becoming earnest again. It's on Amazon Prime if ya have a membership to that!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Hoping it's a harbringer for these blockbusters becoming earnest again.

It bombed, unfortunately

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It will be bringing no harbs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

It bombed, unfortunately

I think in the end it washed its face with the international box office, but no merch or tie-in stuff pretty much means yeah big flop

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dungeons and Dragons also has a lot of really fun practical effects if you're that kind of freak like I am. Let's put tall people in weird creature suits again.

Oh, Jarnathan.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you liked the D&D movie I cannot recommend Game Night (the directors' previous film) enough. The D&D movie is them being as funny as they can within an IP straitjacket.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Dr. Strange 2 is the only good post-Endgame MCU flick not named Guardians 3.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No Way Home did it first, and better, is the issue, and Flash was blatantly ripping it off after already butchering the movie.

And No Way Home was already mid with half the runtime dedicated to pauses for the audience to "CLAP. CLAP YOU loving SEAL"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you liked the D&D movie I cannot recommend Game Night (the directors' previous film) enough. The D&D movie is them being as funny as they can within an IP straitjacket.

On the list.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'll say one thing for Dr. Strange 2: it's in the top 5 Sam Raimi superhero movies.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And then you realise it's the kid from Freaks and Geeks. DnD is in his blood

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I liked Game Night a lot

Dungeons and Dragons: Honor amongst thieves was a bit silly

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Whoop my bad DNDHUT

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jenny Agutter posted:

Anyone watching Sexy Beast (2024) the Paramount+ prequel series to Jonathan Glazer’s Sexy Beast (2000)?

I don’t know if this is a joke or not.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

I watched Sexy Beast (2000) the other day as they had just added it (presumably to drum up interest for the new series). Kind of a weird film to spin off a prequel series from but I guess the characters do have a lot of history to work with. I'll try it unless someone says it's trash (how can it not be?).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think in the end it washed its face with the international box office, but no merch or tie-in stuff pretty much means yeah big flop

No merch?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought about googling « sexy beast merch »

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dan Stevens?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

therattle posted:

I don’t know if this is a joke or not.

Actually, thinking back on it I remember someone saying a few years ago that they were trying to do something with a tv version (I used to work for the producer and they were looking through all of their old films to see what TV or other IP could be derived from them). So probably not a joke. I’m glad they got it off the ground.

Just checked the credits and am surprised that the original producer (Jeremy Thomas) didn’t get a credit.

therattle fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 24, 2024

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jenny Agutter posted:

Call me Jonathan Glazer because my eyes are Glazin over at this concept!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Game Night’s a loving blast. The cast is killer, especially Jesse Plemmons.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

It had a ton of merch, it was just all sold to D&D people instead of your local Walmart's toy aisle.

Its box office was also more a victim of bad timing than lack of interest. It had a really strong opening weekend, opening in 1st, but it came out a week before John Wick 4 and two weeks before Mario so it had ZERO legs to it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It must have had crazily good word of mouth too because I'm pretty sure almost everyone who saw it liked it more than they expected. Just a shame

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched The Scary of 61st. It wasn't good.

There were good parts. Visually it's often quite nice, they're going for a classic 70s New York movie vibe and largely I think succeed. During the big horror scene they crank up the grain and even have a hair stuck in the gate for a bit, which I thought worked quite well. And the plot about the girl instantly getting super into Epstein conspiracies was good. I kinda thought that was what the movie was going to be about, and I think it would have been better served if it was.

But there's also the roommate's plotline. Where she gets... possessed? by... something? and becomes sexually obsessed with the idea of being a child getting raped by Prince Andrew. That wasn't good. That was really bad. It was trying to be transgressive, I think? But it didn't have anything behind it so it was just gross and boring. One of those scenes is also clearly strongly influenced by Daisies and it made me feel better about not really liking Daisies.

And then there's a very stupid twist, and the ending of the movie doesn't fit the movie that came up to that point. Like they wrote the ending first and then just kinda hosed around with the rest of the movie and didn't realize it doesn't actually lead up to the end.

I did really try to go into this movie with an open mind, but it is a fact that I can't really give the movie the benefit of the doubt on anything because I've listened to a few episodes of the writer/director/star's podcast so I know she's kinda dumb. So maybe ymmv. But I wouldn't recommend trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

It had a ton of merch, it was just all sold to D&D people instead of your local Walmart's toy aisle.

There were figures in the Walmart toy isle.

They made a bunch of stuff. Nerf guns, transformers dice, the owl bear, all the characters, a eye guy . It’s just no one really cared and they rotted on the pegs and were quietly discounted. Followed by the animated show