Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Caidin posted:

What was the town in 7 where there wasn't really a monster problem and it was just a sad sack soap opera thing happening progressing every time you visited.

gently caress that place.
Verdham (or Greenthumb Gardens if you played the 3DS translation). And yeah, it sucked. And then you got the sequel later on in a different island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
7 is so hard, it expects me to talk to npc

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like 7 a whole lot.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
the only chapter that sucked imo was the warring castles one. was a whole bunch of nothing and half baked ideas. im not sure why raguraz' castle was even there asides from tying into another chapter. there was one point where i thought you'd be refused entry through the barricade while stuck on the side of the thane, and you'd have the gnome and his wife help you to get to the other side. just kind of a dud overall

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Is the best way to play dq7 on ps1 then? Or 3DS

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Probably 3ds but I liked the PS1 version on an emulator with hyper speed, the graphics have a certain mid 90s pixel art charm that for reasons unknown reminded me a lot of Earthbound.

The 3ds version has a much shorter opening and overall is probably a smoother experience, if going physical whichever is more in your budget really they aren't that different all things considered. It's 120 hours either way.

Edit: Jesus Christ nevermind it's like 36 hours shorter on average on 3ds, use that information as you will it didn't seem that different for me between versions

https://howlongtobeat.com/game/2843

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 24, 2024

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're not sure, I'd go with the 3DS on the strength of the translation quality. However, if you're feeling drawn to play the PS1 version at all, because you're tempted to experience its vastness and trickery at full strength, unmitigated and without any kind of in-game assistance, then you should absolutely go for it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I played it on ps1 so i can say with feeling: the best way to play dq7 is not on ps1

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is the best way to play dq7 on ps1 then? Or 3DS

3ds adds cute class based outfits but the translation is more child facing and the cut content is stupid. ps1 ver rules

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
in the 3ds version you have a character riding a wolf and if you make him a luminary both he and the wolf wear top hats. it's not even a contest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the original better but they're both great ways to experience it, even with the chunky 90s "clearly did this in like 6 days" translation

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
play it on a handheld that you can easily put to sleep / resume later

i did it on psp and had a good time

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

YggiDee posted:

in the 3ds version you have a character riding a wolf and if you make him a luminary both he and the wolf wear top hats. it's not even a contest

This also applies to both of them wearing a sheep costume if you make him a shepherd.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Also the PS1 version follows the older nes era naming schemes for spells, and the 3ds version has the later style names as well as accents for each area, so if you prefer or are adverse to either that may be a deciding factor

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://github.com/scbroede/dq4-partychat-patcher

Someone made a Party Chat hack for Dragon Quest 4 that reimplements it in the US ROM instead of translating the Japanese ROM. This should mean that you can get all of the QoL stuff the US release had that the JP release lacked and still have Party Chat functionality.

It is still in beta though so some bugs might be present.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Selenephos posted:

https://github.com/scbroede/dq4-partychat-patcher

Someone made a Party Chat hack for Dragon Quest 4 that reimplements it in the US ROM instead of translating the Japanese ROM. This should mean that you can get all of the QoL stuff the US release had that the JP release lacked and still have Party Chat functionality.

It is still in beta though so some bugs might be present.
...And saved.

Now I don't have to play the mobile version! :)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, with that hack the only advantage the mobile versions have left is better soundfonts and some balance tweaks to Terry in DQ 6 to make him less poo poo to use in your party and to be honest, I’m surprised someone hasn’t made a hack to bring the mobile versions balance tweaks to the DS version yet.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cumpantry posted:

3ds adds cute class based outfits but the translation is more child facing and the cut content is stupid. ps1 ver rules

What parts of the game did they cut from the 3ds version? I know that the beginning segment was much longer, was there more than that?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i tried finished DQ6 a second time but i just got really kind of irritated at it, normally i remember fairly well the order of operations for story content in the DQ games (where orbs are, etc,) but 6 i just recall nothing. Nothing at all, so i just set it aside and went back to a fresh start in 5. For 6 they shoudl have given you the vocation stuff much earlier IMO. there's just a lot of what i think are poor decisions in it and yeah the wild difficulty spike is really something

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 24, 2024

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

progressing required finding obscure event triggers over and over again. it was very tedious.

"Talk to NPCs" isn't that obscure.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Dr Pepper posted:

"Talk to NPCs" isn't that obscure.

On the other hand, "Talk to this specific NPC, sometimes multiple times, and then walk away without realizing that talking to this person did anything" is absolutely asinine.
Thankfully 3DS fixed most of these by having the game go into obvious cutscene mode for most of the sequence trigger conversations. Still some left out there though.

Special shoutout to "Stay at this specific inn even though you just slept and are still full on HP/MP so sleeping is nothing more than a waste of money" gently caress you Hamelia/Wetlock I wish I could've left you to drown.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

On the other hand, "Talk to this specific NPC, sometimes multiple times, and then walk away without realizing that talking to this person did anything" is absolutely asinine.
Thankfully 3DS fixed most of these by having the game go into obvious cutscene mode for most of the sequence trigger conversations. Still some left out there though.

Special shoutout to "Stay at this specific inn even though you just slept and are still full on HP/MP so sleeping is nothing more than a waste of money" gently caress you Hamelia/Wetlock I wish I could've left you to drown.

youre bad at dragon quest

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Even with a guide it took me a while to figure out how to get the events to trigger, on PSX

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It helps to actually read what the npcs say fyi

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm having this problem with the first Phantasy Star :lol: Talk to a guy, he says "gently caress you, go away!" Talk to him again, he says "drat you're persistent, :fuckoff: !" So naturally, the third time you talk to him he's like "I'm gonna build you a spaceship!" So naturally, guess who decided to go see if there was something else I needed to go trigger first after #2 and got bodied by a medusa?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I'm having this problem with the first Phantasy Star :lol: Talk to a guy, he says "gently caress you, go away!" Talk to him again, he says "drat you're persistent, :fuckoff: !" So naturally, the third time you talk to him he's like "I'm gonna build you a spaceship!" So naturally, guess who decided to go see if there was something else I needed to go trigger first after #2 and got bodied by a medusa?

Lol yeah. A little advice for the road: there's a NPC in a village that asks you if you know about <device>. If you answer the truth and say "No" expecting more info about it you only get useless flavor text, if you say "Yes" (lies) he'll actually tell you the relevant info to find <device>. At least you can talk to him as many times as you want.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's not normally a problem, I routinely check down dialog branches pretty thoroughly, though this game in particular had done this thing where I talk to a dude and he goes "do you know about X" and when I answer no I get information and when I answer yes I get ":frogout:" so who knows.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1752013879289503911?s=20

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ooh, nice, it was always weird that 2 was on Steam and not 1.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
1 had some issues, but the final chapter is excellent. From the DQ3 overworld music kicking in, to the base being in the exact layout as the original Tantegal castle, and to the story tie-ins with DQ1, all of which hit me right in the nostalgia bones .

2 had some of the same neat nostalgia moments, but the story was less dependent on 2 I feel which worked out well for that game.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Cool, replaced DQB2 with 1 in my wishlist. I always prefer to play games in a series in order.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I went to slime island in dq11 but in act 3 and some metal slimes spawned BUT I didn’t really get any good exp off it. Am I better off just farming metal slimes using pep powers?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Yes. You can get to max level in probably 5 battles with hallelujah/electrolight. If you pep up by battling regular encounters in between, it only takes one pep pip per metal battle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
There's a specific strategy you can find online for DQ11 power leveling, it's basically turning the enemies into metal kings, having someone (rab?) use a pep power that puts all enemies to sleep since it works on metal enemies, and then swap over to the party member(s) who can consistently kill the metal monsters before they recover and flee.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I don't remember the full details but I know I farmed up to level 99 in the final act 3 dungeon by exploiting Erik's Critical Claim ability against Metal King Slimes.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a specific strategy you can find online for DQ11 power leveling, it's basically turning the enemies into metal kings, having someone (rab?) use a pep power that puts all enemies to sleep since it works on metal enemies, and then swap over to the party member(s) who can consistently kill the metal monsters before they recover and flee.

Close, to start you need to have Hero, Rab, Jade, Sylv, and Erik pepped and then you need Hero, Sylv, and Jade use "Electro light", reloading if you get robots instead of metal slimes, then you need Rab and Hero for "Dirge of dundrasil" as you mentioned, but on top of that you also have to to use a pep pip each on Hero and Jade and then have Hero, Jade, and Erik use the "Hallelujah" pep to make it more lucrative and self-sustaining.
If you are high enough level to spawn Vicious metal kings from electro light anyway, it still works earlier but it's not self-sustaining.
It's a major pain with a ton of points of failure, but it's far and away the fastest way to hit 99.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 30, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The DQ11 power leveling strat is:

Go into battle with Hero, Erik, Jade, Sylvando, and Rab pepped up (optional), with everyone except Rab on the frontline. Activate Hallelujah, have Hero use pep up, swap Erik for Rab (optional), and have Sylvando use a Pep Pip on Jade. Then use Electro Light and hope for Metal Slimes. If you have Rab pepped up, you can use Pep Up again with Hero and Rab to put them to sleep with Dirge of Dundrasil. Then kill them all with critical skills. Hallelujah+metals will give a ton of EXP, and more importantly, will guarantee that the Metal King Slime drops another Pep Pip so you can do it again. If you have weak monsters don't give EXP on, you need to kill a monster that would give you EXP in order for the metals to give you EXP as well, otherwise you'll get the enemies were too weak to give EXP message.

If you're maxing out your levels, all enemies will give reduced EXP towards the end with that Draconian setting.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BrokenLink posted:

Close, to start you need to have Hero, Rab, Jade, Sylv, and Erik pepped and then you need Hero, Sylv, and Jade use "Electro light", reloading if you get robots instead of metal slimes, then you need Rab and Hero for "Dirge of dundrasil" as you mentioned, but on top of that you also have to to use a pep pip each on Hero and Jade and then have Hero, Jade, and Erik use the "Hallelujah" pep to make it more lucrative and self-sustaining.
If you are high enough level to spawn Vicious metal kings from electro light anyway, it still works earlier but it's not self-sustaining.
It's a major pain with a ton of points of failure, but it's far and away the fastest way to hit 99.

You line it up and you get like 5-10 levels.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Hyper Inferno posted:

The DQ11 power leveling strat is:

Go into battle with Hero, Erik, Jade, Sylvando, and Rab pepped up (optional), with everyone except Rab on the frontline. Activate Hallelujah, have Hero use pep up, swap Erik for Rab (optional), and have Sylvando use a Pep Pip on Jade. Then use Electro Light and hope for Metal Slimes. If you have Rab pepped up, you can use Pep Up again with Hero and Rab to put them to sleep with Dirge of Dundrasil. Then kill them all with critical skills. Hallelujah+metals will give a ton of EXP, and more importantly, will guarantee that the Metal King Slime drops another Pep Pip so you can do it again. If you have weak monsters don't give EXP on, you need to kill a monster that would give you EXP in order for the metals to give you EXP as well, otherwise you'll get the enemies were too weak to give EXP message.

If you're maxing out your levels, all enemies will give reduced EXP towards the end with that Draconian setting.

Yeah, that's it in full, forgot about Pep up, it's been a while I guess, though you don't need to have the hero use Pep up a second time, Dirge just requires Rab to be pepped.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I remember power leveling in 11 to be the easiest grind of my life, took like an hour in that 240 hour game.