Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wasn't the guy who was in Lebanon for a bunch of years promoted to around there in absentia? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gotta respect that ranking climbing skill to get to two star before 30

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

has any other military had as universal a rank inflation phenomenon as the IDF?

it would be funny if a defense minister got sick of looking ridiculous and did a total restructure to the shrieking of a bunch of 21 year old staff sergeants being corrected into their functional rank of like PFCs.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
how do you all keep getting surprised that rank doesn't really matter in an army that is essentially designed around to brutalizing the helpless, forever

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I am the model of a modern major general *explodes into gibs*

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Nanomashoes posted:

https://twitter.com/ydsTrey/status/1749843120005464441
"How dare you evoke the Holocaust and use other genocides to describe this one."

lol

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I am the model of a modern major general *explodes into gibs*

*dominoes eaten 20 minutes earlier stratifies into neat layers animal vegetable and mineral*

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

the Israeli street
lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

not sure we need to have combat footage or stills posted itt :thanks:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

not sure we need to have combat footage or stills posted itt :thanks:

this is why I only post combat gifs

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
gonna post some combat jacks

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
What are all those clowns doin' there?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Al! posted:

of course it tugs at your heart strings to see a teenage boy cowering under a blanket, thrust into a war of settler aggression that cut his life short, meaninglessly. but ultimately he was also a victim of israel

Nah, gently caress him.

You might as well cry about the poor wermacht soldier on the Eastern front. Its functionally the same thing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3D2SVeag4I

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nanomashoes posted:

"How dare you evoke the Holocaust and use other genocides to describe this one."

:kiddo:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

KomradeX posted:

Nah, gently caress him.

You might as well cry about the poor wermacht soldier on the Eastern front. Its functionally the same thing

to be fair to the wermacht, far enough into the retreat and they were defending their home territory

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
It does not surprise me that humans would empathize with someone shown to be in legitimate fear.

As it is, the best situation for such terrified individuals in the Israeli armed forces would be to eat some jail time after refusing to fight, then probably leave the country or stay as far away from the fighting as possible. It's better for everyone if these men leave and remember the fear they felt next time someone asks them to go join a military group, or if someone asks them if they should join themselves.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
To be fair to blanket guy, in the video he appears less to be hiding under a blanket and more concussed out of his mind from all the explosives hamas fighters keep tossing into the room where his idiot rifle squad is trapped

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

KomradeX posted:

Nah, gently caress him.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bastard Tetris posted:

nah it was a few days

3 weeks

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
any of those dead Nazis coulda been my cousin lmfao

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
that son of a bitch is ice cold

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Nanomashoes posted:

You can't say that, white baby.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i had been thinking a lot since the apartheid rave about how loving weird it must be to be a person born in israel, a settler state with a near universal draft. we like to say the israelis can just move back to new jersey but if you've lived your whole life in the occupied territories it's not so clear. the creepy and unsettling truth is that settlers are obsessed with birthrates because each of those births is a tool in a genocidal struggle, you're weaponized from the moment of conception. no wonder so many of them end up drug-addled and insane. which is all to say that

Al! posted:

of course it tugs at your heart strings to see a teenage boy cowering under a blanket, thrust into a war of settler aggression that cut his life short, meaninglessly. but ultimately he was also a victim of israel

this is a big part of why settler colonialism is so evil

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

inject this into my veins !

war is easy when you’re sending someone kid into battle. that was tough to watch.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Fumble posted:

i dislike the iof as much as the next person, but i feel bad for that dude. in the video it looks like he is wounded and fighting off shock.

just following orders hasn't flown for almost 100 years, no excuse for new nazis just like there wasn't for the old ones

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

thechosenone posted:

It does not surprise me that humans would empathize with someone shown to be in legitimate fear.

As it is, the best situation for such terrified individuals in the Israeli armed forces would be to eat some jail time after refusing to fight, then probably leave the country or stay as far away from the fighting as possible. It's better for everyone if these men leave and remember the fear they felt next time someone asks them to go join a military group, or if someone asks them if they should join themselves.

He's a loving airborne battalion 2IC going to pieces in front of his men, during a firefight. Give your heads a shake.

I don't need to remind you how this behaviour would be addressed historically.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

iof shoulders may be interested in the great american tradition of shooting your commanding officer

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Al! posted:

Nah, they're the equivalent of the AWB reaping what they sowed during the Bophuthatswana crisis.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carcinofuck posted:

I mean I know that kid is 13 but holy crap

it’s very understandable, that kind of roleplaying is hard. I’m trying to remember what I said but I mangled something in a similar way representing 1945 USSR in a model UN sim of the San Francisco conference. it’s really hard to keep like 3 trains of thought going

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

blanky guy def filled his diapers

gently caress that guy and all his crew and all his entire state appartus that put him there doing inhuman things and cowering like a child from rifle fire

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

what the gently caress? He was there for prostate cancer surgery why was he out so long

ugh burgerposting dropping this

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

"Field promotions because they've lost just that many officers" seems like the most obvious answer, but it's also an insane one if they're bumping 26 year olds up to major general

I am the very model of an Israeli major-General
I've application Apple maps, TikTok too and then Bumble
I know the Kings of Judah and I quote the fights historical
From Amalek to Ammonite, in order categorical.
I'm very well acquainted too, with matters C4 chemical,
I'm twenty six and seven months with training in the technical,
About genetic lineage I am teeming with a lot o news
Which justify explosives and even genocidal views

[Hamas, Chorus:]
Which justify explosives and even genocidal views?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So for the record, this thread keeps calling a 27 year old officer a "boy." None of you are immune to propaganda.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

what the gently caress? He was there for prostate cancer surgery why was he out so long

just going under general anesthesia can take weeks to recover from. or you can be close to 100% after 24 hours. the variability is wild.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bastard Tetris posted:

ugh burgerposting dropping this

What's happening to the US secretary of defense is directly relevant to Gaza. burgerposting is talking about domestic American politics or the loving election.

Anyway, the Sec of Defense kept his prostate cancer secret so he wouldn't be forced to resign. He was in and out for surgery a few days, but now he's back in the hospital because of an infection from the surgery.

The last time he was in the hospital he gave the order to bomb Yemen the first time.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

He's a loving airborne battalion 2IC going to pieces in front of his men, during a firefight. Give your heads a shake.

I ain't disagreeing, just saying that every Israeli soldier should ask themselves if they want this and just leave as refugees or whatever. Those who refuse aren't going to find Hamas sympathetic to say the least.

I'd much rather have less dead Palestinians than more dead Israeli.

Also I just turned to dust because the 27 year old dumb rear end is younger than me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

well, how historically? because nobles breaking immediately is a classic since time immemorial

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

just going under general anesthesia can take weeks to recover from. or you can be close to 100% after 24 hours. the variability is wild.

he was re-admiitted bc of complications after going home from the initial surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Of all the people who have cancer I think the US secretary of defense probably deserves it the most