Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Really not surprised after hearing about the Emmy scam they had going. Felt like someone was desperate for validation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Huh. Still doesn't ring a bell but it definitely looks like an Apple ][ game we might have played (this was the 1994-95 school year).

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Twobirds posted:

Really not surprised after hearing about the Emmy scam they had going. Felt like someone was desperate for validation.

The Emmy scam was ESPN but yeah SI is still complete poo poo. As someone who read the mag and visited the site daily for many years the fall is not surprising but somewhat disappointing to see, especially in real time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Growing up in the 90s, you sure heard allusions to "The Swimsuit Issue" a lot in sitcoms

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Growing up in the 90s, you sure heard allusions to "The Swimsuit Issue" a lot in sitcoms

and Victoria's Secret catalogues.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Bloopsy posted:

The Emmy scam was ESPN but yeah SI is still complete poo poo. As someone who read the mag and visited the site daily for many years the fall is not surprising but somewhat disappointing to see, especially in real time.

Oh geez, you're right, I blanked on the name.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Bloopsy posted:

I remember renewing every year and getting tons of hoodies and fleece throws, still have a bunch of them too. I think I started losing interest when Rushin and Reilly left. Hadn’t heard anything from them in years, probably part of the reason they’re struggling

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

credburn posted:

Gotta admit that I always wanted the football phone.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember being a kid and staring at wonder at a 10 minute Sports Illustrated commercial at all the stuff you'd get just from subscribing. I also remember thinking, "Too bad it's for a sports magazine, how boring."

I'm sure the VHS tapes of sports bloopers are online somewhere. Relive the good times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Magazines were enshittifying long before websites were. Print probably could have lasted a lot longer if it weren't for endless self-inflicted wounds.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who likes all sports? The idea of a pan-sports magazine makes no sense to me.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Magazines were enshittifying long before websites were. Print probably could have lasted a lot longer if it weren't for endless self-inflicted wounds.

I got a stack of old popular mechanics mags dating from the 1930s and 40s and even back then they were still at least 50% ads and 20% life hacks of dubious quality like for example unclog your sink with only a bicycle pump, a rubber ball, a nut, two washers and the valve from an inner tube.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

coldpudding posted:

I got a stack of old popular mechanics mags dating from the 1930s and 40s and even back then they were still at least 50% ads and 20% life hacks of dubious quality like for example unclog your sink with only a bicycle pump, a rubber ball, a nut, two washers and the valve from an inner tube.

thats what made the mechanics so popular

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vegetable posted:

Who likes all sports? The idea of a pan-sports magazine makes no sense to me.

I don't follow any sport in particular or in general, but I'll watch a Jon Bois video on anything. I imagine there are compelling stories in every sport, but I imagine the work needed to output those stories impedes the number going up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

coldpudding posted:

I would read a magazine containing Fallout style stuff like this

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Professor Shark posted:

I would read a magazine containing Fallout style stuff like this

You're in luck they have been archived for free viewing on google books.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

coldpudding posted:

What do you think MacGyver read growing up?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To be clear, the people that owned SI were the worst kind of corporate vultures that had no intention of turning the brand around

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Was it SI that had the VHS football highlight tapes? Where everything was in slow motion and dramatic looking? That's all we had to watch at my grandparents' house. Well, that and Dorf on Golf.

It really feels like this is the death kneel year for the magazine industry. Anyone whose business model was 'doctor's waiting rooms' or who never transitioned to the web is going under. Hell, even the online only Pitchfork...which couldn't have cost that much to run, is on death's door.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Krispy Wafer posted:

Was it SI that had the VHS football highlight tapes? Where everything was in slow motion and dramatic looking? That's all we had to watch at my grandparents' house. Well, that and Dorf on Golf.

Probably, I think a semi-random NFL Films highlight tape (Like the previous season or Super Bowl or whatever) was a regular part of some of their renewal packages like the infamous football phone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

coldpudding posted:

And if you were reading that article, you already had the nut! :dadjoke:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't follow any sport in particular or in general, but I'll watch a Jon Bois video on anything. I imagine there are compelling stories in every sport, but I imagine the work needed to output those stories impedes the number going up.

The fact that a feature length two-parter documentary about the name "Bob" is the greatest thing on the Internet says a lot about that man's skills.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m now realizing that I could save a lot of time reading books or watching films by just reading the Wikipedia synopses

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

There is a reason sb nation is filled with lower effort stuff between his big videos. Like nothing against the weird rules people, it's just obviously lower workload stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why would I watch the movie when I can watch a 2 hour YouTube essay about the movie??

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MarcusSA posted:

Why would I watch the movie when I can watch a 2 hour YouTube essay about the movie??

Pfft, amateur. I only watch two-hour reaction videos of people (doing the :-O face) watching the youtube essay about the movie :smug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I limit myself to 2-part, 7-hour treatises on how that reaction video was filled with plagiarism.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Subjunctive posted:

I limit myself to 2-part, 7-hour treatises on how that reaction video was filled with plagiarism.

And I read the comments on those

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

TotalLossBrain posted:

And I read the comments on those

Post-username combo :xd:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cowslips Warren posted:

and Victoria's Secret catalogues.

....Sears catalogue

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

MarcusSA posted:

No, there's AI voiced summaries of media now so you don't even need to watch someone think about it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Waste of Breath posted:

No, there's AI voiced summaries of media now so you don't even need to watch someone think about it.

Those videos probably saved my life in 2021 when I was recovering from a back injury and surgery, and deep in the throes of acute Depression. Some tts voice explaining the plot of Narnia or whatever while soothing elevator music plays in the background.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Honestly I'd watch them narrating long stuff I'm never gonna watch like one piece but I'd rather have a nice audio book narrator voice

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Subjunctive posted:

I’m now realizing that I could save a lot of time reading books or watching films by just reading the Wikipedia synopses

It’s always annoying to go to Wikipedia to read the plot and twist for a movie and find no one’s bothered to write it because it’s so bad.

Most of the time I end up waiting for the Pitch meeting episode to find out.

It’s barely an inconvenience.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

GoutPatrol posted:

....Sears catalogue

Ding!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Comstar posted:

It’s always annoying to go to Wikipedia to read the plot and twist for a movie and find no one’s bothered to write it because it’s so bad.

Most of the time I end up waiting for the Pitch meeting episode to find out.

It’s barely an inconvenience.

Most Wikipedia plot summaries are completely incomprehensible from what I've seen. They seem to be written by aliens who have no concept of what a narrative is.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Waste of Breath posted:

I only watched a couple of these, but they were for super weird movies I never heard about and never would have watched otherwise.

Like, the one I remember was a movie entirely about high school students spontaneously exploding throughout the school year.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

....Sears catalogue

...Fingerhut.

(it even sounds dirty)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

rydiafan posted:

I only watched a couple of these, but they were for super weird movies I never heard about and never would have watched otherwise.

Like, the one I remember was a movie entirely about high school students spontaneously exploding throughout the school year.

I do the same. Usually it's some low budget or foreign movies I was never going to watch anyway, they're good as background noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most Wikipedia plot summaries are completely incomprehensible from what I've seen. They seem to be written by aliens who have no concept of what a narrative is.

Wikipedia writers tend to be an odd bunch in my experience. Odd and very angry about being corrected on obvious errors.