Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ihmemies posted:

Man that HDD quest in Ground Zero is annoying. I have been to the room N times, even got the disk once, but never got out alive with PMC. When I go as scav no one is there, when I'm with PMC it's a loving pain to even get there, not to talk about getting out. Weird.

start of the raid everyone with that quest is running there. later when scavs spawn everyones already left the area. this is even more extreme than on other maps w bottleneck tasks bcos ground zero is so small that if youre going to a task youre probably getting there within the first 2-3 minutes of the raid easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

LGD posted:

how so? obviously there's a balance to be struck because it's no good if pscavs hoover up all the loot before you can get to it like the hatchlings of yore, but the injection of pvp-disadvantaged late joiners is a way to up the risk (and later-raid interest/unpredictability) for PMCs who are meaningfully gambling with that gear, and it absolutely would seem to make sense/follow the philosophy of the game to insert them at a point where they exert meaningful influence on PMC behavior (among other things - by appearing before most PMCs vacate the map, and providing incentive for PMCs to move faster to secure loot and correspondingly make noise + get into pvp)

Oh yeah, we're in alignment on the purpose and function of them but for Interchange and Reserve I just feel like that balance is busted. Player scavs spawning in with 32 minutes left in the raid means they get to experience 80% of the 40 minute raid that PMCs have loaded into. I don't think most PMCs are busting rear end for the extract 8 minutes into the raid - it just seems like allowing player scavs to load in at, say, 25 minutes would strike a better balance.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

yeah that map is smaller than the others and the only reason anyone goes is for the few tasks you get. If you just want to get in there and get out alive try to lay low for the first bit while everyone fights it out. try to bring a suppressed weapon if you can, otherwise everyone in the map will know when you run into a scav

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At least I know the map quite well. Now I just need to survive one time out with my PMC :D My inventory is full of crafting mats from practicing getting there with scav. The HDD room has quite a lot of junk...

Night raid would be sweet, but I can't hit the scavs with ironsights during night.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

At least I know the map quite well. Now I just need to survive one time out with my PMC :D My inventory is full of crafting mats from practicing getting there with scav. The HDD room has quite a lot of junk...

Night raid would be sweet, but I can't hit the scavs with ironsights during night.

Night raiding is fantastic for getting loot and quests done. Scavs can barely see you for poo poo, can't aim for poo poo, and can easily be baited into rushing you behind cover. You also see less PMC's in general compared to daytime. Do yourself a huge favor and practice going at night more often, you won't regret it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On the other hand, I can't see a goddamn thing!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I am giving one more go with the Ground Zero night raid. Ideally that can be done in 3-5mins so well before scavs spawn. Just need to deal with PMC's...

E: night raid was not ideal either. 5 scavs and a few PMC's in Terragroup building and the last one got me :D

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 22, 2024

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Being forced to learn a new map right off the rip has completely turned me off from jumping in this wipe

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

hello internet posted:

Being forced to learn a new map right off the rip has completely turned me off from jumping in this wipe

It's tiny and you'll learn it quickly. It's basically 6 buildings in a 3x2 grid with T shaped underground bit.

Learning the map isn't the problem, it's that a whole army of PMCs spawn in and you have to fight your way through.

It is basically squad Factory.

The Clap posted:

Oh yeah, we're in alignment on the purpose and function of them but for Interchange and Reserve I just feel like that balance is busted. Player scavs spawning in with 32 minutes left in the raid means they get to experience 80% of the 40 minute raid that PMCs have loaded into. I don't think most PMCs are busting rear end for the extract 8 minutes into the raid - it just seems like allowing player scavs to load in at, say, 25 minutes would strike a better balance.

I think a lot of PMCs are dead within the first 5 mins on interchange. Without immediate player scavs there would be little action after the Techlight fight.

However, I do think that they shouldn't spawn literally in the loot. Scav spawns should be in the outer areas like a wave of fresh PMCs.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Player scavs should behave exactly as they are now, but the player should have no agency over their voice line usage and your player scav should be doing the equivalent of constantly mashing F1

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

hello internet posted:

I mean it's probably better this wipe since everyone's time on it is necessarily limited, and I'm saying that as someone who started the wipe late and had a fairly rough go of it at the beginning (having sat a few wipes out)

definitely a bit annoying to have all the initial quests locked to that map, but not really that different from funneling everyone into customs, and the map itself is good/fairly easy to pick up despite having more traversal options than some of the older ones

I'll also say that the recoil/armor and traversal improvements have made jumping in feel a lot better - i.e. 'bad' guns feel way better to use, you have a much better 'puncher's chance' vs. people using real gear, and while vaulting seems like it should be trivial, it's actually a huge QOL improvement by making sooooo many navigation things so much less annoying to deal with

seriously, the mantling feels very natural/like it should have been there all along (b/c it should have) and I'm already taking it for granted, but I still regularly encounter bits where I'm like "oh yeah this jump/impassible thing" and then nope, nbd, press buttan and you're on your way

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 23, 2024

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

hello internet posted:

its a single road with the extracts at either end. pathetic.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
imo scavs should be more dangerous and there should be more of them, both player and otherwise

tjones
May 13, 2005
Agreed. Some of the best fights I've had were either my PMC being cornered by a group of scavs that eventually overwhelmed me or my scav getting involved in cat and mouse fights where a bunch of scavs are playing off each other trying to take down a group of PMCs.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hello internet posted:

it's honestly the easiest map to learn and to solo.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
As someone that just bought the game, I'm pretty happy with being guided towards Ground Zero. It reasonably easy to learn and I feel pretty much at home there already.

Some of the other maps like Woods and Shoreline seem pretty daunting in comparison, with no cover and imagined enemies behind every tree.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How on earth my scav runs are so good usually compared to PMC, which are usually utter crap. What am I doing wrong? :-S

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Woods is a lot better when you can actually get some concealment instead of standing out against several square kilometres of snow.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Woods and shoreline are not really good maps for new players. even more so since they are currently covered in snow, you could be sniped from many angles and the snow makes anything stand out. the best maps right now would be ground zero and streets. I still feel interchange should be avoided at all costs expect for using the none backpack extract or car extract, its just too easy to extract camp there

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Stevefin posted:

Woods and shoreline are not really good maps for new players. even more so since they are currently covered in snow, you could be sniped from many angles and the snow makes anything stand out. the best maps right now would be ground zero and streets. I still feel interchange should be avoided at all costs expect for using the none backpack extract or car extract, its just too easy to extract camp there

counterpoint: woods and shoreline are really good maps for new players. even more so since they are currently covered in snow, you can snipe people from many angles and the snow makes targets stand out

i (a relatively new player, this is my second wipe i'm playing beyond like level 10) feel safer on woods than anywhere else in tarkov tbh. it's huge and has relatively few PMCs on it. you just do loops around the top half of the map and as long as you avoid town before someone takes the car and only loot USEC camp if you spawn right next to it, you'll rarely even see anyone else. there's a ton of food and medicine items up there, as well as some gold spawns and toolboxes/technical crates for hideout stuff, and scavs to shoot (or die to in the tall grass in village)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hooplah posted:

here's a quick path i generally take for woods runs. stashes in blue, places of interest (danger/loot/scavs) in orange. black circles are what i'd consider good spawns for each end of the run. if you spawn all the way in the southeast the run can get weird. recommend bringing zb-014 key given that last section between there and outskirts has nothing of interest but can get hairy. maybe the 3k roubles to take car extract, but generally if you can get past the village that last section til northern roadblock is safe.

the ruined northern village feels way too open and dangerous for me so i ignore it. usec camp is also a spot i tend to see players more, so stay alert around there. lastly i forgot to color it orange but the convoy is right next to a stash and is worth checking out. good meds occasionally on the ground by one of the bodies.

new players- this was what i did my first couple of wipes to avoid fighting pmcs and get loot. don't be afraid of woods, just try to skirt the edges and learn stashes. once you start learning the map and spawns, learn to not run headlong at other spawns at the start of the raid.

i'd make a couple of edits to my route there, but it's mostly the same. usec camp is very hot at the start of wipe but quickly quiets off

e- a big change is the scav bunker having the goons now. probably makes that whole area not worth it, but idk what the spawn chances are now

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
new players should try to fight pmcs at least some of the time lest you turn into one of those 1000 hour people who loses every single fight

that said, it's good to have a clear idea of what you're trying to do when you get in raid, depending on where you spawn

and +1 for woods being a relatively simple map to learn and one of the easiest maps to survive on by far

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ihmemies posted:

How on earth my scav runs are so good usually compared to PMC, which are usually utter crap. What am I doing wrong? :-S

Your scav does the earning, your PMC does the killing!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I can't wait for SPT to update..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

Your scav does the earning, your PMC does the killing!

*dying

Like this is the level of my skill. Unload a full clip and die to 1 hit to throat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InDZPJSV3y0

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

*dying

Like this is the level of my skill. Unload a full clip and die to 1 hit to throat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InDZPJSV3y0

Do you have mouse accel turned on? The way your mouse jerked around made me think it's a mouse problem.

like, not even so much your aim was bad (it was) but you look like you are also fighting your mouse.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Vayra posted:

counterpoint: woods and shoreline are really good maps for new players. even more so since they are currently covered in snow, you can snipe people from many angles and the snow makes targets stand out

i (a relatively new player, this is my second wipe i'm playing beyond like level 10) feel safer on woods than anywhere else in tarkov tbh. it's huge and has relatively few PMCs on it. you just do loops around the top half of the map and as long as you avoid town before someone takes the car and only loot USEC camp if you spawn right next to it, you'll rarely even see anyone else. there's a ton of food and medicine items up there, as well as some gold spawns and toolboxes/technical crates for hideout stuff, and scavs to shoot (or die to in the tall grass in village)

I have never had very good luck on woods. I always end up in a PVP situation from the get go and always loose cause I have a very hard time seeing them just cause of how its both very open and extremely visually cluttered. It could be a sever region thing where OCE just likes fighting in woods or something

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Stevefin posted:

I have never had very good luck on woods. I always end up in a PVP situation from the get go and always loose cause I have a very hard time seeing them just cause of how its both very open and extremely visually cluttered. It could be a sever region thing where OCE just likes fighting in woods or something

usually this comes down to quickly recognizing where on the map you are, where the spawns around you are, and the likely directions those pmcs will be moving in. this should happen less, especially on woods where the spawns are so spread out, as you get more familiar.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

*dying

Lower your sensitivity. There's all kinds of measurements for it, but generally in FPS games like that you want something like:

Fast: 0-15

Medium: 15-30

Slow: 30-infinity

Measurements being centimeters of mouse movement to travel for a 360 turn. Mine is around 40 centimeters. Try medium first or something, maybe 15-20 centimeters.

Jittery mouse like that makes it very hard to move it on top of the enemy, because you're using your tiny wrist movement to try to get fine adjustments for aim, rather than being able to move your whole rear end arm for it.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 23, 2024

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
The highs in this game can be so great. I did a duo raid with a friend on woods as he had some quests. Popped a PMC and then a ton of SCAV's. Later while collecting the blood sample from the van I got pushed on by another PMC and took heavy damage. He pushed up on me heavily focused, meanwhile my friend was able to snipe him from up the hill. Then I ran into lumber camp while he looked out overhead. Schturman was stuck between the two of us and finally he made a mad dash at me, with my AKM loaded with PS I blasted him down. The net result was the SSK key, a labs key card, and a RED REBEL. After picking all this up I began taking shots blacking my leg from sniper rock. Later I would find out it was 338 lapua FMJ. After healing I extracted and sold the Red Rebel on the flea for 7 million roubles.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

i came across a mountain of corpses on one of my scav runs and i had a hard time figuring out which weapons to take. are there any obvious indicators that a weapon is a particular keeper beyond personal preference? i guess this question also extends to body armor and rigs

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

i came across a mountain of corpses on one of my scav runs and i had a hard time figuring out which weapons to take. are there any obvious indicators that a weapon is a particular keeper beyond personal preference? i guess this question also extends to body armor and rigs
If you stumbled upon it - presumably already picked over. Look for stuff with attachments that PMCs brought in. I usually pick up MP-153 shotguns because they're pretty effective, and you can sell 'em for like 30k a pop if they start piling up.

For armor just grab the highest number if you're in a hurry, or could look up some tier charts outside of raid.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ROFLburger posted:

mostly game knowledge and that personal preference thing b/c a juiced AK may be better than an AR if you're not high enough level to feed the thing decent ammo, but NATO guns generally sell for more roubles

but I'd look at a combination of caliber/abundance of weapon accessories (if you're not stripping everything), and maybe a quick look at recoil/ergo stats if I need a tiebreaker/am not sure if the accessories are garbo or not (though what's good there varies by caliber/platform, so again back to game knowledge) - i.e. self-loading/automatic rifles in full caliber (7.62x51 or 7.62x54) are generally worth more than intermediate weapons, but a meta M4 is obviously much better to grab than a near-stock FAL

quality of ammo is also often a decent tiebreaker heuristic (if you're not looting raiders/FIR stuff), since it tends to correlate with knowing what you're doing/being willing to spend money

non-armored rigs are basically a slots/weight thing, with some consideration for being bigger on the inside for loot hauling

for armor and armored rigs right now you want removable plates of class 4+ (obviously favoring higher tier), then consideration of coverage for soft armor (a big deal this wipe - i.e. the plates in a fresh Slick are fantastic, but the carrier itself is hot garbage) + plate locations (i.e. the rat rig is kind of iffy now since it is only class 4 from the front and class 2 from behind), repairability of said plates/armor (i.e. UHMWPE and Armor Steel are very good, Ceramic usually much less so), and whether it weighs a bazillion kg or not (which is another area where UHMWPE shines, and where Armor Steel often sucks)

which I guess basically is just a longwinded way of saying "know how to evaluate tarkov weapons/armor and/or memorize what the good items are," which goes back to game knowledge :/

e: but I honestly it probably doesn't matter that much, the opportunity cost for mistaking a cool looking but cheap gun for an expensive one isn't too high vs. normal loot slot optimization stuff, especially with most guns being much better without extensive modding - at worst you'll know better for next time

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 24, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Take flashlights, lasers, suppressors, optics, and foregrips off of guns instead of taking the guns. Guns are huge, weigh a bunch, and sell for not much more than just taking the few nicest pieces off. Generally you want to search the backpacks and pockets and maybe rigs for barter items or other valuables because that stuff is often worth far more than the equipment.

AI scavs are rarely worth the risk of fully looting, though they do occasionally have nice stuff, but if it looks like someone has already been through them, I wouldn't waste time looting already looted scavs. Player Scavs and PMCs are very worth stopping and looting as long as you think it is safe.

Generally you'll make way more money just looting valuable stuff off the map, but eh it's always fun to loot bodies

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Patch 0.14.0.1 is going up, list of fixes from BSG's twitter:

● Fixed incorrect ammo penetration and damage calculations in some situations;
● Fixed the ability to inspect and modify unexamined armor lying on the ground;
● Removed the display of integrated armor component prices on the trading screen;
● Fixed the incorrect behavior of Rogues when defending the water treatment plant buildings on Lighthouse;
● Reduced the loudness of footsteps on snow;
● Fixed the inability to complete some quest conditions;
● Fixed an issue that caused infinite loading into a raid when playing as Scav in some situations;
● Fixed visual effects of bloom and sun glare on all locations;
● Interchange color correction is now closer to other locations;
● Fixed the lack of fog in optical sights in some situations;
● Fixed the inability to pick up some items, including quest items;
● Fixed the ability to pass through solid obstacles in some situations;
● Fixed the ability to transfer items displayed in the Hall of Fame for quests;
● Fixed the Airdrop loot appearing as not Found in Raid;
● Increased spawn points for Scavs on the Ground Zero location.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
As a new player, my dilemma is that I'm 95% likely to die on a raid. Often without even seeing the guy that killed me. So I don't want to take expensive gear into the raid. And by not taking in good gear, I decrease my chances of making it out alive even further.

Ofc, to me, that's a good dilemma. I enjoy figuring out cheap stuff I can bring or how to work around not having good stuff and still live.

And I absolutely love the intensity of the gameplay. Sprinting across an open space through sniper fire, trying to make it to an extract point feels absolutely epic.

I think I'm going to uninstall COD DMZ. I'll never play that again :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thank god for snow sound and scav infinite loading fixes.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yeah if those actually get implemented as promised they're all really good changes, the infinite scav loading thing was extremely annoying

Jakosa posted:

As a new player, my dilemma is that I'm 95% likely to die on a raid. Often without even seeing the guy that killed me. So I don't want to take expensive gear into the raid. And by not taking in good gear, I decrease my chances of making it out alive even further.

Ofc, to me, that's a good dilemma. I enjoy figuring out cheap stuff I can bring or how to work around not having good stuff and still live.

And I absolutely love the intensity of the gameplay. Sprinting across an open space through sniper fire, trying to make it to an extract point feels absolutely epic.

I think I'm going to uninstall COD DMZ. I'll never play that again :)

tbh I also really love maximizing return per rouble and enjoy running mid-tier kits over high end ones, because the risk/reward feels much better to me

you do want to get over fear of losing gear, because it does you no good if it's just taking up space in your hideout and it's all ultimately transient, but I think everyone (myself definitely included) ends their first wipe with a pile of stuff that was "too good to use"

but this is an extremely good patch for a budget conscious approach, because most of the weapons are wayyy more effective without extensive modding, you have greater flexibility in that modding where sights are concerned, everyone (so far) is using "good enough" ammo, and the protection better gear offers is much lower, so as long as you're adequately geared you probably aren't hurting your chances nearly as much as you would have in past wipes (otoh as a new player you're going to get caught out and owned repeatedly because that's how the game works)

on that note I am really appreciating the KMZ 1P59 and KMZ 1P69 scopes this wipe, they're insanely cheap (like 18k+2k mount, available in both dovetail and weaver form-factors), and eminently usable as assault scopes in the 3x mode (with an option to go way beyond that for scouting or w/e) -
great for slapping on a dovetail AK to build "I don't really care if I die" kits for maps like woods/shoreline

LGD fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 24, 2024

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Herstory Begins Now posted:

AI scavs are rarely worth the risk of fully looting, though they do occasionally have nice stuff, but if it looks like someone has already been through them, I wouldn't waste time looting already looted scavs.

To go along with this, when you press the search button on a body it will give you a bit of XP in the bottom right corner based on the value of the items on it. If the body has less than 100 I just touch it for that small amount of XP and keep moving and if it's more than that, then you check pockets and backpack for any expensive goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

causticBeet posted:

Player scavving pre-karma was way more fun. Just blast anything that looks like human (or just blast anything, why not). None of this weird e-honor “nooooo you can’t kill a player scav you’ll lose 0.1 karma!!!!” stuff.

Yeah this is why I quit, I don't have time to see if a person is a PMC/Scav because most people will kill me instantly so my options become lose karma or die.