Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Larryb posted:

Tech is definitely still alive (he just fell and we didn’t see a body afterwards)

He landed on Ventress' ship, which happened to be passing by at the time.

Larryb posted:

Lastly, I don’t care if it’s animated or live action but they need to bring back Hondo at some point (preferably still voiced by Jim Cummings in either case)

I didn't have as much problems with the animation style of Rebels as some other people did, but I will never forgive the way the butchered Hondo's look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, but he also got a crazy detailed animatronic for the Milennium Falcon ride pre-show, so it kind of balances out:

https://youtu.be/GPufRLQn3OE?si=bMLbFfOLC0IWyfN6

Which is also proof that he survives into the sequel trilogy time, if you take theme park storyline as cannon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I imagine if he pops up in anything live action down the line it'll most likely be in either Mando or Ahsoka

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Larryb posted:

I imagine if he pops up in anything live action down the line it'll most likely be in either Mando or Ahsoka

I hope in Ahsoka since he and Ezra had a fun relationship and report.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Yeah, but he also got a crazy detailed animatronic for the Milennium Falcon ride pre-show, so it kind of balances out:

https://youtu.be/GPufRLQn3OE?si=bMLbFfOLC0IWyfN6

Which is also proof that he survives into the sequel trilogy time, if you take theme park storyline as cannon.

The only thing I don't like about this is that it could so easily be an actor in a mask. Slap a mask on some passionate underpaid guy and then give me a crazy weird alien that blows my mind with how realistic it is.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

feedmyleg posted:

The only thing I don't like about this is that it could so easily be an actor in a mask. Slap a mask on some passionate underpaid guy and then give me a crazy weird alien that blows my mind with how realistic it is.

Disney probably determined that they would start saving money by 2034 by not having to costume a guy up and down every single day for such a small part.

That being said, that's an incredible looking animatronic!

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

feedmyleg posted:

Keep in mind that the actor would need to be really really thin to convincingly pull off the additional layer of Weequay latex makeup on top of his normal face. Any thicker than that and you wind up with a look like RotS butterball Sidious.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dave Syndrome posted:

Keep in mind that the actor would need to be really really thin to convincingly pull off the additional layer of Weequay latex makeup on top of his normal face. Any thicker than that and you wind up with a look like RotS butterball Sidious.
Doug Jones doesn't look like he has been too busy lately.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

Doug Jones doesn't look like he has been too busy lately.

That's immediately who I thought of. Then consider that the actor would also have to do a halfway convincing voice.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Oh, yes, I blanked on the theme park context there; that would probably be an issue. :shobon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

It's absolutely insane how Ian McD's played Monster Mash Palpy like four different times in life action now between Jedi, Sith, Skywalker and Obi-Wan and he's never had a consistent makeup job between any of them.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It's absolutely insane how Ian McD's played Monster Mash Palpy like four different times in life action now between Jedi, Sith, Skywalker and Obi-Wan and he's never had a consistent makeup job between any of them.

I find it baffling how his makeup looked best when he was youngest, and the older the man got, the worse the makeup looked. And it's not like he got chubby with age or anything, like some actors do - if anything, he got thinner, so there's really no excuse for the rubbery blob face.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

I find it baffling how his makeup looked best when he was youngest, and the older the man got, the worse the makeup looked. And it's not like he got chubby with age or anything, like some actors do - if anything, he got thinner, so there's really no excuse for the rubbery blob face.

Weirdly, I think the Obi Wan makeup looked kind of the best...? He had the right of amount of "this is still just an otherwise normal dude who got way to high on his own evil supply" kinda look where he's still believable as someone who would still show his face in public every now and then and do galactic emperor poo poo unlike every other Monster Mash incarnation of Palpy.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Dave Syndrome posted:

I've always wondered this too. It was absolutely awful in ROTS, and it never really got that much better, that puffy jowl-ey latex look just seemed to become his standard.

I assumed in part a good deal of the issues are in the lighting. The prequels had a 'everything is pretty evenly lit because this is just props in a green skin warehouse' look, which didn't have the harsh shadows caused by his hood / throne room lighting which worked well in Jedi.

I barely remember ROS but I remember it being 'ok' other than his brightly coloured dress shirt sticking out from under his dark robes. I'm sure this looked amazing in the concept art, and is a interesting way of linking his portrayal in the prequels to the originals, but in execution it just sort of drew attention to his paunch.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Return of the Jedi used latex appliances and blended them with makeup, so a lot of Palpatine is really just McDiarmid. Revenge of the Sith, like everything else in the prequels, used more modern masks so that very little of the actor remained.

The older stuff looks better because it's more expressive and not as thick.

Having judged several Palpatine costume submissions for the 501st, the appliances always look better. But they take way more work and only last so long, which is why most people (including me, I'm working on one) use masks. Fortunately masks are better now than the early 2000s, but they are, on the end, still masks.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Isometric Bacon posted:

I assumed in part a good deal of the issues are in the lighting. The prequels had a 'everything is pretty evenly lit because this is just props in a green skin warehouse' look, which didn't have the harsh shadows caused by his hood / throne room lighting which worked well in Jedi.

Yeah I just had a quick look through ROTS and the lighting is awful. I had a vague memory of the stuff in Palpatine's office right after the confrontation looking alright because it took place at night, but nope, it looks like it was shot in a Wal-Mart. And that's the best it ever looks!

Another baffling decision I was reminded off while scrolling through: the very first thing Anakin sees when he walks into Palpatine's office is Palpatine screeching like a madman and throwing Force Lighting at Mace Windu. Maybe you should have that happen before he comes in and he just sees Mace about to kill a maimed man?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So did Anakin just not notice all of the dead Jedi or did Palpatine stuff them under his desk while Mace gave him a second to tidy up?

Never really thought about it

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sash! posted:

So did Anakin just not notice all of the dead Jedi or did Palpatine stuff them under his desk while Mace gave him a second to tidy up?

What do you mean? Anakin already knew Palpatine was the evil Sith lord, he just wanted him to go to trial and stay alive so he could save Padme.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I didn't see the OT until the rereleases in the 90's.. Though I have some weird dream like memories of seeing Empire very very young on TV around Christmas and then only parts of Hoth and Dagoba. How did people take to hosed-up-eyes Palpatine back in the day? I imagine people were just pumped for more Star Wars and not as critical back then but I wonder if it looked as goofy or at the time it was just creepy and weird?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shoehead posted:

I didn't see the OT until the rereleases in the 90's.. Though I have some weird dream like memories of seeing Empire very very young on TV around Christmas and then only parts of Hoth and Dagoba. How did people take to hosed-up-eyes Palpatine back in the day? I imagine people were just pumped for more Star Wars and not as critical back then but I wonder if it looked as goofy or at the time it was just creepy and weird?

Well there wasn't as much visible discourse back in the day so it's hard to say unless there's a strongly worded letter to Starlog floating around out there but what expanded universe material there was at the time hand waved it away as 'Dark Side corruption' or similar.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sash! posted:

The dead trio are all in the room the fight started in, it then moved out of there to the main chambers.

And yeah, by that point Anakin didn't care that he's shooting lightning at Mace, he cares that his only shot at saving his beloved wife is about to get a lightsabre through his face.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Shoehead posted:

Can't speak for them obviously, but I'm sure it would have been a fascinating mystery, especially as he's introduced in Empire as a hologram old lady chimp face. ( which still looks better than the rubber mask they replaced it with). Thematically he comes across as the bad guy version of Yoda, and I remember never considering him or Yoda as warriors, until the prequels decided to give them the spinny death poo poo.

Speaking of the prequels ruining ideas, I always liked the one where Palpy was using the force to manipulate his appearance as a kindly old man, but always looked decrepit underneath. I remember being deeply disappointed by how literal ROTS takes it, by disfiguring him immediately, attending its laundry list of 'set up the status quo for the originals.'

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Isometric Bacon posted:

Speaking of the prequels ruining ideas, I always liked the one where Palpy was using the force to manipulate his appearance as a kindly old man, but always looked decrepit underneath. I remember being deeply disappointed by how literal ROTS takes it, by disfiguring him immediately, attending its laundry list of 'set up the status quo for the originals.'

If you want to use head canon, you can say that's still true, and he used the attack by Mace as an excuse to finally drop the act, and he was lying about the attack leaving him scarred. (I mean, he still looks mostly fine as Sideous when he see him in the first two prequels, but it's not hard to come up with a reason why he'd keep it up even then, too.)

Movies can be fun, if you let them.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

thrawn527 posted:

If you want to use head canon, you can say that's still true, and he used the attack by Mace as an excuse to finally drop the act, and he was lying about the attack leaving him scarred. (I mean, he still looks mostly fine as Sideous when he see him in the first two prequels, but it's not hard to come up with a reason why he'd keep it up even then, too.)

Oh this is how I (and as I often read, others) like to internalise it, but it's absolutely not supported in the text.

The prequels have a lot of these moments, where they depict things very literally, and an online headcanon appears to tie things together / tell a more interesting story.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shoehead posted:

When I saw ROTJ as a little boy in the theaters, I asked my mom why his face was all messed up. She said, it's probably dark side stuff. Vader was similarly fishbelly-pale and hosed up looking - we saw him without a mask for the first time in ROTJ, and lo and behold its a pasty white sick-looking dude instead of James Earl Jones (and even age 6 or whatever, I knew who that voice belonged to, he was the same guy who did 7Up commercials! "AHHHH."). That explanation made sense to me, and I think that was the general consensus among fans at Starcon in Denver a few years later.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't imagine being 6 years old and not knowing about Thulsa Doom. The whole course of my life might have changed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kesper North posted:

When I saw ROTJ as a little boy in the theaters, I asked my mom why his face was all messed up. She said, it's probably dark side stuff. Vader was similarly fishbelly-pale and hosed up looking - we saw him without a mask for the first time in ROTJ, and lo and behold its a pasty white sick-looking dude instead of James Earl Jones (and even age 6 or whatever, I knew who that voice belonged to, he was the same guy who did 7Up commercials! "AHHHH."). That explanation made sense to me, and I think that was the general consensus among fans at Starcon in Denver a few years later.

I remember being similarly disappointed watching ROTJ for the first time as a kid when Luke pulls the mask off and it wasn't James Earl Jones in the Vader costume.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The 1990s kids will remember him as the THIS! ...is CNN! guy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SIMBA!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember being similarly disappointed watching ROTJ for the first time as a kid when Luke pulls the mask off and it wasn't James Earl Jones in the Vader costume.

All kidding aside, we had already seen he was a pasty white guy, at least from the back, in Empire Strikes Back.

I'll never forget that, "What the..." moment when I was a kid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

All kidding aside, we had already seen he was a pasty white guy, at least from the back, in Empire Strikes Back.

I'll never forget that, "What the..." moment when I was a kid.

Speaking of, was that also Sebastian Shaw or did they just shave David Prowse’s head (or was it someone else entirely for that shot)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 24, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

thrawn527 posted:

Isometric Bacon posted:

Oh this is how I (and as I often read, others) like to internalise it, but it's absolutely not supported in the text.

The prequels have a lot of these moments, where they depict things very literally, and an online headcanon appears to tie things together / tell a more interesting story.

This idea is explicit in the novelization, which was based on some draft of the script.

quote:

Palpatine examined the damage to his face in a broad expanse of wall mirror. Anakin couldn’t tell if his expression might be revulsion, or if this were merely the new shape of his features. Palpatine lifted one tentative hand to the misshapen horror that he now saw in the mirror, then simply shrugged.

“And so the mask becomes the man,” he sighed with a hint of philosophical melancholy. “I shall miss the face of Palpatine, I think; but for our purpose, the face of Sidious will serve. Yes, it will serve.”

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The real question of the modern day is how to interpret prequel palpatine in light of beloved canon film star wars 9. Having a monster face is old hat perhaps for the ancient body hopping evil pope of the sith religion, or whatever

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 24, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rochallor posted:

This idea is explicit in the novelization, which was based on some draft of the script.

As great as the novelization is (and it really is), this, to me, says more "the face now reflects the monster within".

Like, he looks at his reflection in the mirror, and realizes that he will now look like the monster he really is in his soul. Not, rather, that he's been literally holding up a Force illusion and is using the attack as an excuse to drop it.

But it absolutely works as a metaphor, because the novel is fantastic. It was Stover trying to thread the needle, and succeeding. But it still is saying that the damage from the lightning was real.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

The real question of the modern day is how to interpret prequel palpatine in light of beloved canon film star wars 9. Having a monster face is old hat perhaps for the ancient body hopping evil pope of the sith religion, or whatever

That's the great part about Rise of Skywalker being so sloppily written is that you can interpret Palpy's words in literally any way you want and it doesn't make a lick of difference because no one is ever gonna touch that movie with a mile long pole ever again and the New Jedi Order film with Rey is just gonna start with "Palpatine, who? I don't know her."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Point of order: James Earl Jones was not the 7-Up guy. That was Geoffrey Holder.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Madurai posted:

Point of order: James Earl Jones was not the 7-Up guy. That was Geoffrey Holder.

Oh gently caress. My bad. In my defense I was barely more than a toddler at the time :V

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

nine-gear crow posted:

So like, would Vader have been Luke's adoptive father or would the racial disparity also be chalked up to dark side stuff

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
In their galaxy black is recessive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HootTheOwl posted:

In their galaxy black is recessive

Which would mean that, much like the Empire, white is dominant?