Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no special adoration for Bebop but the Netflix version was mostly so loving bad. I will never for as long as I live be able to forget the cringe I felt when “welcome to the ouch motherfuckers!!!!” happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I wanted to like the new Artful Dodger series. I am doing fine but could also use a relaxing show. Unfortunately, Brodi-Sangster did not show up in the way I wanted for all the time I could stand watching. Which was a shame because the aristocrat's daughter is played kinda well despite being the trope of being an out of control wild woman (i.e. a nerd who likes science experiments as much as she likes pretty dresses although she also really likes dresses) that is too rich and powerful for anybody to say anything therefore explaining why it isn't a big deal.

Don't watch it. Or do, since the reviews are excellent apparently? In any case read Dodger by Terry Pratchett. It's written when he was nearing the end of his struggle with Alzheimer's but the only way this shows is in how he seemed to confuse the ostensible YA book he was writing for satirical adult humour throughout.

R.I.P. Sir Terry.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Say what you will about the Cowboy Bebop adaptation, but I love it. Because I finally went and watched the original after I saw 1 episode, and everyone said it was total poo poo.

And the original is exactly as good as people were saying for 20 years or whatever, oops.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Cowboy Bebop adaptation was cool and kinda weird and could have been incredible but we'll never know because the world of TV on streaming platforms is such that you have to create perfection that gets massive engagement within your first season of 8 episodes or you get the axe. It sucks.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

IRQ posted:

And the original is exactly as good as people were saying for 20 years or whatever, oops.

Check out the movie too. The antagonist is just overpowered like if it were a Jason Statham movie (eww) but he was the villain. Kind of like the murderous clown from the series. Except in this film unlike most where this is the case and the protagonists find some secret to defeating him, here they just kind of have to keep trying until they luck out and "win".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would be 1000% for another Bebop dropping Ed entirely. I just want it to feel like The Long Goodbye in space

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Give me a live action Speed Grapher.

Or live action Monster.

They've been trying to make an American live action Monster for years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Check out the movie too. The antagonist is just overpowered like if it were a Jason Statham movie (eww) but he was the villain. Kind of like the murderous clown from the series. Except in this film unlike most where this is the case and the protagonists find some secret to defeating him, here they just kind of have to keep trying until they luck out and "win".

The best thing about it (found the central plot to be a bit unengaging compared to the show, reminded me of the Jupiter jazz arc which is my least fav part of the original run) is that it does an amazing job showing how ordinary people live in that hosed up universe, a sci fi dystopia that feels way more realistic than Star Trek.

And the nearly god like animation and fights.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Cowboy Bebop was good solely cause they have a corgi!
TV shows could be vastly improved with more corgis

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Finn posted:

I bet you'll see a second attempt at a live action Bebop at some point

Hell I didn't see the first attempt

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked the show a lot but also never watched the anime.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

what even is cable tv anymore.

Dumping grounds for old companies libraries and sports.

I am shocked its sustainable.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I liked the show a lot but also never watched the anime.

Jesus christ

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've been watching After Midnight, and it's getting better every night. Taylor Tomlinson is getting more comfortable, and they're figuring out what the show is, the comedians included. I'm not gonna say it's quite there yet, but I'm laughing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

zoux posted:

Daniel Dae Kim is insanely jacked

Netflix must turn every cartoon into a live action

It drives me crazy that they keep doing cartoons that are difficult or pointless to adapt, and ignoring very popular cartoons that would work super well as live action American series. A Netflix Girls und Panzer would basically be Drumline but with tank combat instead of drumming. It would translate perfectly well for American audiences, and the big budget live-action tank combat scenes would be an actual value add to the series.

They just don't have the vision.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Another good episode of Death and Other Details, things are getting a bit twisty and I just hope they don't stretch things out too much to cover the 10 episode length.

I did like the security guy's book collection, made me wonder if there was a Continental Op/Red Harvest thing going on, but this isn't that kind of story.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Death And Other Details

Is it just me or is it really really obvious that Patinkin is dirty af? I'm guessing that he's a bit of a fake out and that Rahul Khouli is probably actually the second lead here.

There's definitely a lot more going on there and they keep reinforcing it at the introduction of each episode. I'm probably going to do a mini-binge of the openings if/when they stop using that intro to see if I can catch the differences.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like Cowboy Bebop is, at least theoretically, easier to adapt than a manga that heavily involves tank combat

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

thrawn527 posted:

I've been watching After Midnight, and it's getting better every night. Taylor Tomlinson is getting more comfortable, and they're figuring out what the show is, the comedians included. I'm not gonna say it's quite there yet, but I'm laughing.

Yean, I give it a month or so to actually find its way. The best epsiode so far was with Paul F Thompkins, but that was him with Aparna Nancharla and Carl Tartt. That lineup could make anything funny. Pacing is definitely an issue, and the CBS censor is pretty heavy handed. Going to watch the Doug Benson episode later today, which is pretty likely to be good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

feedmyleg posted:

I would be 1000% for another Bebop dropping Ed entirely. I just want it to feel like The Long Goodbye in space

Ed and Ein are the cat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow WWE is moving Raw to Netflix in Jan '25

You know we're going to look back at the 10-15 years of unfettered streaming like we look at the napster era, and regret

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

zoux posted:

Wow WWE is moving Raw to Netflix in Jan '25

You know we're going to look back at the 10-15 years of unfettered streaming like we look at the napster era, and regret

Are they getting the earlier seasons too? How long would it take for someone new to get caught up?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, several months of non-stop watching.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just wake me when I can watch the Wrestlemania from the 80s.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

swickles posted:

Yean, I give it a month or so to actually find its way. The best epsiode so far was with Paul F Thompkins, but that was him with Aparna Nancharla and Carl Tartt. That lineup could make anything funny. Pacing is definitely an issue, and the CBS censor is pretty heavy handed. Going to watch the Doug Benson episode later today, which is pretty likely to be good.

I also assume that, after the Max Greenfield episode, they'll hesitate to get non-comedian actors on again. He seemed so lost, and genuinely happy when he was cut. Like, the guy had no idea what he was doing, and his funniest bits were when he leaned in on ruining the segment.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I also assume that, after the Max Greenfield episode, they'll hesitate to get non-comedian actors on again. He seemed so lost, and genuinely happy when he was cut. Like, the guy had no idea what he was doing, and his funniest bits were when he leaned in on ruining the segment.

My theory is that he showed up thinking it was just the late night talk show and not an improv game show and just rolled with it as well as he could.

Like his agent told him he was on after Colbert to plug his new show, and that was it.

Also, it was deffo last minute, the clip they used to promote his shown didn't even have him in it!!

swickles fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 24, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Just wake me when I can watch the Wrestlemania from the 80s.

Yeah how is this not a thing?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Jon Stewart got hired back to the daily show.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-24/jon-stewart-is-returning-to-comedy-central-s-the-daily-show

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am going to guess its a dump truck full of money that goes for exactly one year to cover the election.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

He only hosts on Monday's so I'm betting he can do it for a long time if he wants.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://x.com/yashar/status/1750200455794237738?s=20

Only for Mondays. This certainly is a choice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

He saw John Oliver and was like drat, I could do that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/jonstewart/status/1750199599703162955

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lmao gently caress off, what a hilariously bad direction. Don't blame Stewart for chasing that bag, but they had Roy Wood Jr. right there and they just fumbled it back to an old host.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GreenNight posted:

He saw John Oliver and was like drat, I could do that.

That's what he was doing with his AppleTV+ show, until he ended it because they were being assholes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I set the over/under for "Jon Stewart is now the full time host of the Daily Show again" at four months, what do you take

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Arist posted:

Lmao gently caress off, what a hilariously bad direction. Don't blame Stewart for chasing that bag, but they had Roy Wood Jr. right there and they just fumbled it back to an old host.

Yes but have you considered that Roy Wood is black and

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Excellent choice, bring back the voice of the generation (the generation being a 6-year period in which the final generation of TV watchers watched your channel.)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

If I set the over/under for "Jon Stewart is now the full time host of the Daily Show again" at four months, what do you take

I think that is up to Jon, and I doubt he wants the full time schedule.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

He won't do it. He quit originally because of the daily grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This episode of The Little House on the Prairie had Laura adopt a baby raccoon as a pet and named it Jasper. While at church, it got into the hen house, made his way into the Ingalls house, and knocked over everything on the stove, then he bit her and her dog and ran off. Then a raccoon came home rabid, so the dad killed it, tied up the family dog in the barn, and waited more than a week while monitoring whether the dog turned rabid. The rabid raccoon turned out to be a different raccoon from Jasper. Jasper came home, doing one of the tricks Laura taught him, so the episode ended with relief that Laura was all right. They never said what they planned on doing with Jasper. If they take him out to the woods, he might come back with rabies, too.