Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
If it was indeed PoWs on that plane instead of missles, I believe Ukraine will soon admit to that.

TheRat posted:

Wouldn't they move giant missiles by train?

There are a variety S300 missiles, all of which can be air transported. And it is also one of those things that if you run out of you will want more quickly as possible.

Dick Ripple fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Is that explosion big enough for it to have been carrying missiles?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bashez posted:

Is that explosion big enough for it to have been carrying missiles?

Hard to say because a fuel explosion doesn't necessarily or even likely immediately detonate warheads on board. But I would guess that rocket fuel is a lot more volatile. The question is what missile parts were carried, if any.

At any rate I doubt that the plane was carrying both missiles and passengers, that sounds just stupid.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Are PoWs usually transported by planes? I never really thought about it. I remember seeing them arriving to Ukraine/Russia on buses on multiple occasions, and the one time they arrived by a plane was from Turkey. But I guess maybe they're on a bus only for the final stretch.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

jaete posted:

Yeah it feels like some kind of good cop/bad cop act, with Medvedev as the bad cop. Though maybe it's more like crazy & turbo-insane. Or dumb & dumber

Medvedev stinks of desperation (well, and booze...). The whole thing feels a whole "Notice me Sen-putin!" act

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ukraine confirms that there was a PoW exchange planned for today.

https://www.radiosvoboda.org/a/news-hur-obmin-polonenymy/32789955.html

quote:

The exchange of prisoners between Russia and Ukraine was supposed to take place today, January 24, a representative of the Main Intelligence Directorate, Andriy Yusov, told Radio Svoboda.

"I can state that the exchange planned for today is not taking place", he said.

According to the representative of the Defence Intelligence of Ukraine, the information voiced by the Russian side that the prisoners of war could have been in the IL-76 aircraft that crashed in the Belgorod region is currently being checked.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Are PoWs usually transported by planes? I never really thought about it. I remember seeing them arriving to Ukraine/Russia on buses on multiple occasions, and the one time they arrived by a plane was from Turkey. But I guess maybe they're on a bus only for the final stretch.

Here is former POW saying they were transported to Belgorod same way

https://twitter.com/UCoSpaniel/status/1750092134240203162?t=aCSrO9Y5GcbCn7yvfqAvbw&s=19

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Bloody 'ell, I hope that plane wasn't actually full of PoWs.

Is there any confirmation about how the plane fell? Apparently there's video which points to maybe a missile but I don't know how reliable that is. Could it have been a malfunction?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

jaete posted:

Bloody 'ell, I hope that plane wasn't actually full of PoWs.

Is there any confirmation about how the plane fell? Apparently there's video which points to maybe a missile but I don't know how reliable that is. Could it have been a malfunction?

Check a bit up the thread. You can see the object falling, and after a while the camera zooms out and you see what looks like a poof of smoke hanging in the air.
I didn't see any smoke trail, but if it's the missile it might have impacted the front of the plane.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
According to this the plane was coming from Syria. I don't think Russia keeps many POWs in Syria.

https://bsky.app/profile/noelreports.bsky.social/post/3kjpxrcymxn2a

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like there's some confusion going on with the lists of prisoners on the plane...
https://twitter.com/Getty776/status/1750143408860192966?t=W8pRv5k6nTp_zByTI3Ji-Q&s=19

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
RT's editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan has posted a list of PoWs that were allegedly on board of the downed plane.

One of the soldiers on that list, Kostyantyn Danilchenko, is definitely a PoW, and there was an interview with him on Russian TV. If PoWs weren't on that plane and are still alive, I'm not sure what they're going to do with them now.

E: Beaten, and apparently there are discrepancies. Still, not clear what would be the plan here with publishing a list like that.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 24, 2024

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

My scared gut feeling is yeah it was a planeload of PoWs and Russia either forgot to mention the flight was coming, or they did and a jittery SAM battery commander fired at it in any case.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I mean Russia lies all the time about this sort of stuff. There's no more credibility here than when they swore that Prigozhin blew himself up with a hand grenade while snorting cocaine. The only thing that is clear is that Russia wants to change the narrative about the spate of successful Ukrainian anti-air strikes. Only time will tell what really happened.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

E: Beaten, and apparently there are discrepancies. Still, not clear what would be the plan here with publishing a list like that.

What was the plan with claiming a ten year old girl they killed was an elite French mercenary?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

What was the plan with claiming a ten year old girl they killed was an elite French mercenary?

Vague lies like that (actually, the hotel was a secret nazi command centre) are what they prefer. Russia doesn't provide any evidence in those cases, just makes unfalsifiable sweeping statements. Here, they provide a list that is fairly easy to cross-reference. Like, if anyone on the list is still in Russia, they probably won't be able to exchange them later without explicitly admitting to have lied. It's a very different type of lie.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I just don't feel there is any downside to them for lying either way. Remember the big lies like "no Russian troops in Donbass" and "no Russia troops in Crimea?". What's the downside of them being verifiably false?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OddObserver posted:

Uh... French mercs are pedos?

It's not very fruitful trying to figure out the disinformation that is constantly spewed from Russian propaganda outlets. They can make up a dozen new lies in the time that it takes for us to reveal the bullshit. It's exhausting and that is the point.

I really don't know what Ukrainians are basing their claim on the plane's cargo, either. It sounds suspicious until some sort of evidence is presented...

Paladinus posted:

Vague lies like that (actually, the hotel was a secret nazi command centre) are what they prefer. Russia doesn't provide any evidence in those cases, just makes unfalsifiable sweeping statements. Here, they provide a list that is fairly easy to cross-reference. Like, if anyone on the list is still in Russia, they probably won't be able to exchange them later without explicitly admitting to have lied. It's a very different type of lie.

However if a bunch of pows had died in prison it would be a great way to cover your tracks :tinfoil:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nenonen posted:

However if a bunch of pows had died in prison it would be a great way to cover your tracks :tinfoil:

I was actually thinking about that. Wouldn't be too dissimilar to what happened in Olenivka in 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olenivka_prison_massacre

Another, maybe even wilder scenario is that there were PoWs on that plane, and Russia somehow leaked it to Ukraine that the plane was actually carrying missiles to provoke Ukraine into attacking their own soldiers.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

I was actually thinking about that. Wouldn't be too dissimilar to what happened in Olenivka in 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olenivka_prison_massacre

Another, maybe even wilder scenario is that there were PoWs on that plane, and Russia somehow leaked it to Ukraine that the plane was actually carrying missiles to provoke Ukraine into attacking their own soldiers.

They got a lot of Il-76, but I don't know if they'd intentionally sacrifice one for some weird psyop. I also don't think they care enough to cover up abuses to stage some sort of crash to cover up abuses. Someone hosed up here, either a pilot with a plane full of ammo, or some Ukrainian military communications breakdown or itchy trigger finger SAM operator.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ummel posted:

They got a lot of Il-76, but I don't know if they'd intentionally sacrifice one for some weird psyop. I also don't think they care enough to cover up abuses to stage some sort of crash to cover up abuses. Someone hosed up here, either a pilot with a plane full of ammo, or some Ukrainian military communications breakdown or itchy trigger finger SAM operator.

Isn't that the plane that they have single-digit numbers of and can't make more on a relevant timeline? Or is that a distinct plane that's named Il-Numbernumber and I'm bad at plane names?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ummel posted:

Absolutely, it's strictly in the realm of conspiratorial thinking, the more obvious versions are the most plausible ones right now. It will become clearer when more evidence surfaces.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Isn't that the plane that they have single-digit numbers of and can't make more on a relevant timeline? Or is that a distinct plane that's named Il-Numbernumber and I'm bad at plane names?

I think you're thinking of IL-22. The airborne command plane. IL-76s are transport planes IIRC

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nervous posted:

I think you're thinking of IL-22. The airborne command plane. IL-76s are transport planes IIRC

Ah, thank you.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ah, thank you.

No problem. I am no expert on these, anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Nenonen posted:

It's not very fruitful trying to figure out the disinformation that is constantly spewed from Russian propaganda outlets. They can make up a dozen new lies in the time that it takes for us to reveal the bullshit. It's exhausting and that is the point.

This has been mentioned before, but still bears repeating. The strategy behind "flood the zone with poo poo" misinformation campaigns is not for the misinformation to be believed, or even sound plausible. Inevitably with a large enough sample of people there will be some suckers who buy it, but that is a bonus, not the core objective. The source of the misinformation will put out many different versions of events, most of which will be mutually exclusive to each other. The goal is to put out bullshit faster then it can possibly be debunked and to make learning the objective truth seems so tiring and impossible that people just give up. For an authoritarian state, apathy is nearly as good as people believing your bullshit and far easier to achieve.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
https://youtu.be/DeB8x9ljGwE?si=VGFUxYip3fGuScKp

If the plane was flying away from Belgorod, then its not likely Ukrainian prisoners or AA missiles were aboard.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 24, 2024

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Groggy nard posted:

https://youtu.be/DeB8x9ljGwE?si=VGFUxYip3fGuScKp

If the plane was flying away from Belgorod, then its not likely Ukrainian prisoners were aboard.

Didn’t watch the video, not to play devil’s advocate here, but the plane could have been on approach toward a runway which would require it to landed in very specific direction, passenger or cargo planes can span hundreds of mile in extremely wide circle to approach landing strips at the right angle and position.

RoyKeen posted:

But I still want to talk about the death of people.....

gently caress off, I just made a single comment in response why a plane might be flying in a particular direction.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 24, 2024

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Back Hack posted:

Didn’t watch the video

Well done.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I don't want to watch a video analyzing the death of people that happened only a handful of hours ago where the context isn't entirely clear yet.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

I don't want to watch a video analyzing the death of people that happened only a handful of hours ago where the context isn't entirely clear yet.

But I still want to talk about the death of people.....

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I heard a Dutch reporter say yesterday that it seemed that the impact location on the plane was on the East side, suggesting a Russian friendly fire incident.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1750282059103207828

yeah, zelensky's tone kind of implies there was a big fuckup somewhere along the line

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Back Hack posted:

I just dont see a way to meaningfully engage with you if you completely ignore the information presented, which would easily answer most of the things you posted. Lilely my own failings, I am certain :jerkbag:

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 25, 2024

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1750516090134781965?t=rEG8pBiZq3CSwDV3aF-rdA&s=19

To the surprise of no one, suicide squad deals got worse after lots of local media reports of ex-cons commiting crimes again after 6 month tours. Putin doesn't sign pardons anymore and contracts just get renewed until the war is over.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A roundup of relevant recent articles.

Context for the attacks on oil refineries.
https://carnegieendowment.org/politika/91473?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

quote:

The two refineries attacked by Ukraine in January are export-oriented, and do not play a major role in the domestic market. However, if small drones with no more than 5 kilograms of explosives managed to reach Ust-Luga, which is 620 miles from Ukrainian territory, this means there are a total of eighteen Russian refineries with a combined capacity of 3.5 million barrels per day (more than half the Russian total) that are possible targets.
Under normal circumstances, a full repair would be expected to take no more than a couple of months.

However, the circumstances in which the Russian refining sector finds itself at the moment are far from normal. When Russia began rebuilding its industrial base in the early 2000s, the country largely used imported equipment. As it gradually integrated into the global economy, Russia was able to purchase many different kinds of machines—far more than the limited selection produced in the Soviet Union. This came to an abrupt end in 2022, when the full-scale invasion of Ukraine destroyed the globally integrated model. Now, almost two years into the conflict, there are growing concerns about whether Russia’s industrial base can function in isolation over the long term.

A rather gloomy report on the gap between what Europe is doing, and what is necessary.
https://ecfr.eu/publication/beyond-the-counter-offensive-attrition-stalemate-and-the-future-of-the-war-in-ukraine/#about-the-author

quote:

Unfortunately, Putin has a viable theory of victory in this war. While another effort to take the Ukrainian capital in a swift campaign is out of reach, eroding Western support for Ukraine is not. Time and again, Putin stresses Kyiv’s dependence on Western support, both economic and military. He often expresses his confidence that Russian endurance will triumph over the West. To exhaust Western willingness to support Ukraine, the Russian offensives do not necessarily have to conquer more Ukrainian territory. But they do need to put pressure on Kyiv by imposing manpower and materiel losses that Western sources will have difficulty making up. Unsurprisingly, Putin shows no interest in (serious) negotiations. Time and again, the Kremlin has said it will only negotiate if Moscow’s maximalist conditions are fulfilled. Moreover, the negotiations that are proposed are negotiations with the West, not Kyiv. In other words, until Moscow attains its goals one way or another, the war will continue.

The 2024 presidential and congressional elections in the US in November 2024 could also alter the stakes of the war in Putin’s favour. Former president Donald Trump, the Republican front-runner, has hinted at disengaging from Europe and Ukraine, which would substantially weaken Ukraine. Even if President Joe Biden returns to the White House, the Republican control of Congress could mean paralysis in Washington over providing support to Ukraine.

A more optimistic overview by Lee, Kofman and Massicot.
https://warontherocks.com/2024/01/hold-build-and-strike-a-vision-for-rebuilding-ukraines-advantage-in-2024/

quote:

A defeat would see Moscow impose its will on Ukraine and walk away from the war believing that it had effectively exhausted and defeated the West. Despite the strategic cost to Russia, Ukraine would lose territory and would bear a higher burden for the war in population and economic losses. While Russia will pose an enduring military threat to European security in either scenario, a Russia that suffers a costly defeat is clearly preferable to an emboldened Moscow that is able to recover without having to worry about Ukraine’s armed forces.

This is a sobering reality, but this outcome is not inevitable. However, it will take hard political choices to bring this situation about both in Ukraine and in the West. Key decisions have to be made this year, the earlier the better, in order to put the war on a more positive trajectory. To succeed, Ukraine and the West must align expectations and articulate a clear vision for the next 18 months: what we are building toward, how, and what the theory of success is moving forward. Without a long-term strategy, it will be difficult to achieve unity of effort and manage scarce resources. If in 2024 Ukraine is able to exhaust Russian forces at the peak of Russian defense spending, then retake the initiative and inflict a series of defeats on the Russian military in 2025, it could establish the necessary leverage over Moscow in this war.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Paladinus posted:

RT's editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan has posted a list of PoWs that were allegedly on board of the downed plane.

One of the soldiers on that list, Kostyantyn Danilchenko, is definitely a PoW, and there was an interview with him on Russian TV. If PoWs weren't on that plane and are still alive, I'm not sure what they're going to do with them now.

Guys mostly born in the 70s and 80s being the majority paints that recruiting shortage in a real light, especially if these are the frontline soldiers who’d make up the majority of pows.

For reference the average age of US troops in Iraq was 33, but due to the natural age skew, over 70% killed were in their 20s. The olds were mostly in senior positions or support roles in safe regions, not kicking in doors or manning dangerous outposts.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, Ukraine will probably take a beating this year. I guess we'll see if mobilization becomes a necessity but Avdivvka is looking rough with Russia's artillery advantage.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Guys mostly born in the 70s and 80s being the majority paints that recruiting shortage in a real light, especially if these are the frontline soldiers who’d make up the majority of pows.

For reference the average age of US troops in Iraq was 33, but due to the natural age skew, over 70% killed were in their 20s. The olds were mostly in senior positions or support roles in safe regions, not kicking in doors or manning dangerous outposts.

Ukraine specifically chose to mobilise mostly older men. It is not because they've already run out of younger men. People under 27 literally can't be mobilised against their will, and the recent controversial bill proposes to lower that age limit to 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is an interesting point. So no one else has to replicate the effort, I calculated the median birth year and it is 1984.