Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s good yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

unattended spaghetti posted:

I also suspect that it may have originally been a third Injustice, considering there are so many comic characters in the dlc. That part I think it's safe to toss at the feet of WB, assuming that's how it went.
Official word from NRS is that they decided to skip their usual MK/IJ/MK/IJ cadence and do two MKs in a row because they had to redo all their engine customizations for a newer version of Unreal Engine, so if they did that for an Injustice 3 it'd be a really long wait for a new MK. And that decision was made before COVID remote work slowed everything down even more!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

unattended spaghetti posted:

When a new Tekken, a new Street Fighter, and several second string fighting games have come out in such close proximity, all of very good quality, it's kinda no wonder NRS is quiet. I also suspect that it may have originally been a third Injustice, considering there are so many comic characters in the dlc. That part I think it's safe to toss at the feet of WB, assuming that's how it went.

mk1 came out after sf6

read further up and i guess the point is that they havent done enough post-launch? idk, i played the story and uninstalled, like every nrs game. i thought it was really fun though.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 24, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

mk1 came out after sf6

read further up and i guess the point is that they havent done enough post-launch? idk, i played the story and uninstalled, like every nrs game. i thought it was really fun though.

Yeah the story was fun and the game looks nice. No argument there. I play primarily online and don't like how the game is shaking out that way, personally.

To the SF point, all I mean is that a lot of newer games are doing a lot of novel things that are cool and interesting, and 1 isn't really. That's not a direct knock on it but the muted reception and post release decisions are probably impacted by that fact.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that game looks liek a big pile of sheeit

Turn your monitor… on :smug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I thought everyone loved the new MK1?

It ended up being the worst Mortal Kombat in quite a long time. Its pretty loving dire the state the game is in compared to the last few NetherRealm titles.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just saying, Shadow of Mordor/War are still great games if you want to be Lord of the Rings Batman.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Just saying, Shadow of Mordor/War are still great games if you want to be Lord of the Rings Batman.

great games, shame no fps boost

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wasn't there rumors that the Xbox BC team was going to start back up again this year? I think they did as much as they could license-wise so I'm assuming that if true it's either to do more FPS boosting or perhaps the rumors of the next Xbox being ARM-based are true and they're gonna start working on ensuring XB/360/XB1/Series games work on the new architecture whenever it launches?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
What was the latest on new hardware? I've got a sneaking suspicion that GTA6 will run fantastically on Series X+ and PS5 Pro and will be the first major incentive to upgrade.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jables88 posted:

What was the latest on new hardware? I've got a sneaking suspicion that GTA6 will run fantastically on Series X+ and PS5 Pro and will be the first major incentive to upgrade.

PS5 is getting a Pro this year, Xbox is going to tell you to buy a PC.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Bit early for a new gen/console refresh isn’t it? I can’t imagine a pro version of the current consoles being anymore than an incremental upgrade

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Bit early for a new gen/console refresh isn’t it? I can’t imagine a pro version of the current consoles being anymore than an incremental upgrade

Its 4 years since launch of the PS5, which is how long it took the PS4 pro to show up

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

great games, shame no fps boost

I thought one of them did?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Bit early for a new gen/console refresh isn’t it?

It's always early for a refresh because they're bullshit but:

PS4 2013, Pro 2016

XBone 2013, XboneX 2017

So depending on how you choose frame it PS5 Pro is either already late or still on schedule to come out same time as last gen.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Barudak posted:

PS5 is getting a Pro this year, Xbox is going to tell you to buy a PC.

Wasn't PS5 Pro just a rumor that turned out to be based on nothing official?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I heard a rumor that the PS5 Pro will support games

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Wasn't PS5 Pro just a rumor that turned out to be based on nothing official?

Yes, just a rumor.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Big, if true.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beastie posted:

I thought one of them did?

don't think so

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I said come in! posted:

It ended up being the worst Mortal Kombat in quite a long time. Its pretty loving dire the state the game is in compared to the last few NetherRealm titles.

??????? Lmfao

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Storm One posted:

It's always early for a refresh because they're bullshit but:

PS4 2013, Pro 2016

XBone 2013, XboneX 2017

So depending on how you choose frame it PS5 Pro is either already late or still on schedule to come out same time as last gen.

I definitely see the thing that happened for the first time ever last gen and wasn't particularly successful as precedent-setting

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Wasn't there rumors that the Xbox BC team was going to start back up again this year? I think they did as much as they could license-wise so I'm assuming that if true it's either to do more FPS boosting or perhaps the rumors of the next Xbox being ARM-based are true and they're gonna start working on ensuring XB/360/XB1/Series games work on the new architecture whenever it launches?
There hasn't been any such rumors as far as I can tell, at least, not with any substance behind them. Probably more wishful thinking post-Activision acquisition.

While back-compat has ended, the book hasn't been closed on FPS Boosts IIRC. The reason they stopped releasing those is because their One Cool Trick they were using ran out of games it worked on and they need to figure out new tricks, likely on a per-game basis.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

We absolutely don't need a refresh right now but why wouldn't they make one if it's going to sell out within minutes?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
They to put Mercenaries 2 on backwards compatibility... NOW

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
A few pages back there was an in-the-know goon that did a great write-up on why "Pro" consoles were very unlikely this gen and that's been my take ever since. That aside, I'm still not entirely sure what needs to be upgraded so badly about the current line, especially because devs can't seem to pump out AAA games quickly enough and there still aren't any games that have pushed the SX/PS5 to their limits.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sony will do a ps5 pro because they are stupid

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Which games?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Imagine working on a mid gen refresh Xbox or PS5 knowing that the thing the world is screaming a revised Switch sort of in the neighborhood of base PS4 spec

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
4k TVs came out last time, and that’s why I bought PS4 Pro (but as an upgrade from a PS3). The only thing you’d get from a refresh now is 60 FPS and RT at the same time, and that wouldn’t be enough to get me to upgrade, especially when the better move is for more devs to do a 40FPS mode like the Spider-Man games do.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I still dont have a 4K tv lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Palworld is set to be the biggest game of the year and possibly of this generation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

I still dont have a 4K tv lol

smdh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

Palworld is set to be the biggest game of the year and possibly of this generation.

Someone forgot to cancel the astroturfing contract!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Someone forgot to cancel the astroturfing contract!

It’s only on Xbox (for now) and it’s probably the biggest win gamepass ever scored.

It’s a big win.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MarcusSA posted:

It’s only on Xbox (for now) and it’s probably the biggest win gamepass ever scored.

It’s a big win.

Isn't it months out of date from the steam version

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

External Organs posted:

Isn't it months out of date from the steam version

It’s been updated to the same version as of a day or so ago afaik.

That was also a MS problem which is something they need to work on.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Oh okay. Cool!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I still have 10+ games stuck on my 360, I would appreciate it if BC porting started back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

MarcusSA posted:

So many people are melting down about it, I don't get it.