Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

I sense that Q-Rai is going to break my heart.
Yeah that's definitely happening.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Now that I've killed Brad.

The Phantom

Argh these smiley faces are infuriating.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doomykins posted:

I sense that Q-Rai is going to break my heart.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Edit: oh boy that Phantom in panel one...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Cowslips Warren posted:

and doesn't Angelique stay as a rat after this bullshit? much like the "pray away the gay" camps, trauma doesn't "fix" you.
CORRECT.

Distances of Continent Aside, Pavlov Absolutely Could've Met Victor Hugo Within Their Lifetimes

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/20-22/52

Archie 5/9-11/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 12/12/76

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Jughead remains the GOAT.

And hahaha yea for K and K, abusing and loving with someone they know! That is illegal, and they are guilty also because that is totally against how prey animals can defend themselves! And predators like Kell can't try to kill someone they know, like Angelique!

Also, lots of animals are not straight rear end vegans. My mice eat all kinds of poo poo, including veges like carrots and lettuce. Deer and horses can and do eat baby mice. If this was a recent story, I'd be tempted (no I will not touch the DNA poop) to email Holbrook and ask why he's anti-trans in regards to Angelique but if anyone calls Bruno a wolf (note, just calls, doesn't rip his fur off or try to steal his ruminant stomachs), they must be punished!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Archie 5/9-11/49

His face in panel 3 is cracking me up

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 8, 1936)

Peanuts (January 25, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (September 12-14, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 27, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (November 11-13, 1943)

Mousetrapped

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I've seen more than enough TomBat strips about calling ICE, thanks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shelley Winters posted:

Hello reader and welcome to my "commentary"! I hope you enjoy my asides, telling you what went on behind the scenes. For example, many of the tales in this book omit incidences of my shutting my fingers in a door or stubbing my toe. Things like that are strictly for the connosieur, not the casual passer-by.

"Bulgaria" is the story of my visit to Bulgaria, on holiday, with my great friend Amy Chilton. Amy is the ideal person to go on holiday with as she has no scruples and only basic manners, so fun things start happening almost immediately.

As a house-mate Amy is deeply unde-sirable, untidy and foul-mouthed. Her visitors are the kind of people you wish would leave immediately, or who leave very quickly because they saw your purse on the mantlepiece and have had it away with £15 and change.

Because of my kind and deeply chari-table nature, I have taken Amy under my wing and tried to teach her the right way of living so that she can be a productive member of the human race.

Our trip to Bulgaria takes place toward the end of this experiment. Bulgaria was a good place for us to go because at the time Amy was a poor student. Bulgaria is a treasure trove of cheap items, you should visit! Communism is still fresh enough in the mind there that they wish to share plentiful food and drink for the price of a postage stamp. Well done communism!

Some pretty scary things happen in this tale so if you are a nervous sort, keep a stiff drink at hand!

The next few arcs have book introductions written "by" Shelley instead of directly by Allison.

Scary Go Round (March 14-16, 2005)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

cool

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Samovar fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 24, 2024

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i gotta be real with you, never once did i expect gil thorp to just say it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

The cutest take on Hellstar Remina

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 20, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's going to be one of those situations where Cooper doesn't have to do anything; the threat alone will be enough to freak Stuart out and cause him to gently caress up his own job.

Already started, he took a whole one strip to do it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

If this was a recent story, I'd be tempted (no I will not touch the DNA poop) to email Holbrook and ask why he's anti-trans in regards to Angelique but if anyone calls Bruno a wolf (note, just calls, doesn't rip his fur off or try to steal his ruminant stomachs), they must be punished!
Oh I know the answer to this. Angelique doing this predates the intentional trans metaphors, so despite them being very similar situations to Anqgelique's, Holbrook never went back to think about her situation more so he doesn't realize she could be read as a trans metaphor like Bruno.

Hell, look at all the poo poo like the Computer Bug in On The Fast Rack which started as just a visual metaphor joke, and then became completely literal when Holbrook seemingly forgot they were a visual metaphor which wasn't really happening.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I love Q-Rais' stuff so much.

Vintage Valiant (May 28, 1961)

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
It almost endearing that Holbrook thinks very little of the worlds he sets up (and a *lot* less than we do); his focus is entirely on just how laboured a visual metaphor he can shoehorn into tomorrow's strip, and seems to have been for a quarter-century at this point

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

An Taoiseach posted:

It almost endearing that Holbrook thinks very little of the worlds he sets up (and a *lot* less than we do); his focus is entirely on just how laboured a visual metaphor he can shoehorn into tomorrow's strip, and seems to have been for a quarter-century at this point
He's doing three daily strips at the same time, his attention is split three ways, which might have something to do with it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Awww, that Mexikids.

Eesh, that Valiant.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/23/04

Brenda Starr 6/30 - 7/2/52

We're not done with those two yet?

Smokey Stover 5/17/59

Everyday Movies 3/5/37

"Hold on to your coffee cup, Elizabeth, I'm going to cut the bread."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/28-30/42

Closer Than We Think! 5/17/59

Infrared radiation doesn't hang around that long... fortunately.

There's a short story by Isaac Asimov called "The Dead Past," where a guy invents a camera that can be used to view any scene from the past, anywhere. The people he shows it to are excited about its potential for historical research ... until one of them points out the camera can also be used to view what people were doing five minutes ago, meaning that no one will ever be assured of privacy ever again. (Looking it up, "The Dead Past" was published in 1956, so Asimov wasn't inspired by this strip.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 24, 2024

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(11/3/1993)

(11/4/1993)

Ziggy

(7/30/1971)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ImpAtom posted:

My local pizza place literally has this actually. Thin crust, 'regular' and thick crust. Thick crust is like a deep dish pizza.

Gnoman posted:

It is quite common.

I know "Deep dish," I know "Sicilian," I know "Detroit-style." "Thick Crust" has passed me by.

The_Other posted:

Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

That is Kumamon. And I think John Allison knows that.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Just gonna check average temps for January 2003 near me..

Wow, a couple spikes into the 60s there! Meanwhile, in January 2023...

I'm sure it's fine.

Rose is Rose

"...an idiot."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, May 18-23, 1983

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/28-30/42

This is incredible because near as I can figure, Marlys doesn't know the gun is "supposed" to be filled with blanks. She's just going straight to murder.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Guys, maybe we look at Holbrook wrong. Maybe he's actually being held prisoner by some of his characters, like Kell and Dethany( FROM ON THE FASTRACK) or that annoying Lindesfarne/Samantha and they force him to make three strips every day, all day, if he wants a drink of water.

Every night he begs for some good reader to read the HELP ME symbols he's crammed into the comics, into every other comic not to rouse suspicion.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I don't remember him doing any schooling other than "helps out in the DNA labs". And by that I mean I don't remember him ever talking about taking classes or working for it or anything. This is a fake new development I say.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

On a trip to the Holy Land, Val realizes that he's been promoted beyond his actual competence. He's run up against the... St. Peter Principle! :dadjoke:

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 5/17/59

Infrared radiation doesn't hang around that long... fortunately.

There's a short story by Isaac Asimov called "The Dead Past," where a guy invents a camera that can be used to view any scene from the past, anywhere. The people he shows it to are excited about its potential for historical research ... until one of them points out the camera can also be used to view what people were doing five minutes ago, meaning that no one will ever be assured of privacy ever again. (Looking it up, "The Dead Past" was published in 1956, so Asimov wasn't inspired by this strip.)

The Dead Past is built around the reveal that privacy is gone forever, but the story pretty much ends there. If you want to dive into the ramifications and see what a privacy-free society might look like, a few decades Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter wrote the novel The Light of Other Days to do just that. (I remember it being pretty good but it's been something like 20 years since I read it. I should give it a revisit and see how it holds up.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

I love Q-Rais' stuff so much.

When I saw the art I thought this was his perfidious Greek friend from decades of strips ago. Slith? That guy ruled.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Its like looking into a mirror of my own work life, except the new guy being yelled at is the goddamn Account Manager who has to keep being told to gently caress off and stop trying to gently caress with me because I, a mere security officer, have seniority over him.
I hope Josh continues to spiral, is what I'm saying.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Samovar posted:

Awww, that Mexikids.

Eesh, that Valiant.

Prediction.

Conman will worm his way in and the slave will expose him.
Val will set him free and hire him as his business manager.

No stabbing this time.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think the conman will hoodwink Val but then get caught by his debtors/the local guards and sweat a bit before Val bails him out to save his very bad trade caravanning. He picked up the slave as a totally pragmatic thing because he just said "Yo don't rock the boat or we'll die lol" but knowing Val he'll set the guy up with a poetic freedom.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(July 27, 1910)

The strip's name changes. There is a bit of a chronology issue though. Wikipedia says that this change occurred on August 10, but I can't find the strip for August 10 on Newspapers.com. Once again, this is a strip that really isn't consistently published in any of the ppaers I have access to until the comics page becomes a thing. I'm going to continue to use the dating on my current source for the strip, which is mostly complete until 1912, but it probably isn't going to be accurate.

Krazy and ignatz will be returning for good once we reach the August strips in my source.

Baron Bean(January 26, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals()

No strip for Wenesday, December 25, 1912

Gasoline Alley(September 14, 1919)

Us Boys(November 15, 1911)

The Gumps(February 21, 1917)

Krazy Kat(November 19, 1913)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer