Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That’s an incredible grift, how do I get in on this School of Life U (accredited, honest!) business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Durf posted:

If he still got a decent job without wasting time or money on a degree maybe he’s smarter than we think.

:thunk:

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

quote:

Unfortunately I found that, that particular university wasn't right for me as their testing methods were not the best.

Real curious about this line. Hard to believe an entire university had the same standardized bad testing procedure instead of each professor having their own individual personal testing methods. Was the problem that they expected him to show up and take tests in person instead of saying, "hmm, no criminal record, you deserve a science degree!"?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

their method was they tested him

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Troublemaker posted:

Real curious about this line. Hard to believe an entire university had the same standardized bad testing procedure instead of each professor having their own individual personal testing methods. Was the problem that they expected him to show up and take tests in person instead of saying, "hmm, no criminal record, you deserve a science degree!"?
OP said something like "they expected me to memorize a bunch of useless equations and stuff" so yeah.

Unfortunately, OP's account has been suspended, and the post and all his comments have been deleted, so we can no longer access his brilliant thoughts.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that's pity, if they really wanted to get into grad school they and their bank account should talk to me

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wish this very independent thinker the best of luck with, I assume, a career in management.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FMguru posted:

OP said something like "they expected me to memorize a bunch of useless equations and stuff" so yeah.

Unfortunately, OP's account has been suspended, and the post and all his comments have been deleted, so we can no longer access his brilliant thoughts.

I did read their reply when someone asked them “well how did you expect to be tested???” and it was “assignments and practical application”.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for not telling my family that I transfered universities.

Just drink in the glory... https://www.rareddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/19e1iww/aita_for_not_telling_my_family_that_i_transfered/

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Once he has his foot in the door no one will care if he has a degree as long as he can do the job. All future jobs will just look at past employment.

Maybe he got lucky, maybe his sister is mad she’s spending 8 years to become a lab slave or get assaulted by people who don’t believe in germs.

Different era for sure, but for an example this dude faked his entire engineering background, got a job at Stanford, then became the second most powerful man at Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSMVeypDWog

Durf fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 24, 2024

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Durf posted:

Once he has his foot in the door no one will care if he has a degree as long as he can do the job. All future jobs will just look at past employment.

His sister is probably mad she’s spending 8 years to be a lab slave or get assaulted by people who don’t believe in germs.

Different era for sure, but for an example this dude faked his entire engineering background, got a job at Stanford, then became the second most powerful man behind Walt at Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSMVeypDWog

That really was a different era though. Now, faking a degree would basically be caught instantly with a background check, plagiarism is detected instantly, etc... Even if criminal records are officially sealed/expunged, there's still some record of it in some third-party database that will show up.

It's still funny when 'elite' universities discover that someone in a high ranking position doesn't have a degree, because they've been there for 40 years and just moved up due to being good at their job, and proceed to freak out because their business is selling the idea that without a degree, you are swine that will never amount to anything.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I just found out r/openmarriageregret is a real subreddit

:laugh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pondex posted:

I just found out r/openmarriageregret is a real subreddit

:laugh:

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Yeah, it almost seems a bit on the nose doesn't it?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Durf posted:

If he still got a decent job without wasting time or money on a degree maybe he’s smarter than we think.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

My parents gave me a large sum in first year to cover both tuition and living costs I had to pay the equivalent of the remaining tuition to the university i transferred to.

So I didn't keep any extra money. And because I didn't want my parents to know, I still had to pay living costs for 3 years after that as it had to seem like I was still studying even though I already got my degree within 2 months.

I did do some gig work like Uber during those 3 years though but it wasn't much. I got my IT job only after 3 years which is when I was originally supposed to graduate.
The fake university just so happened to cost exactly the three years' tuition he had sitting in his bank account? Wow, what a lucky coincidence that the numbers aligned so closely!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

drat same quote and delivered three years faster with no added expenses, incredible bargain

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MagusofStars posted:

The fake university just so happened to cost exactly the three years' tuition he had sitting in his bank account? Wow, what a lucky coincidence that the numbers aligned so closely!

So check this out: eleven hundred dollars is exactly what I charge for acting classes!

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

ApplesandOranges posted:

I have experience teaching at a for-profit college, and this kid would have dropped out of it too since we expected things like testing and showing up for class. Did he see the ad for his "University" on the coupon flyers that come through the mail?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

So check this out: eleven hundred dollars is exactly what I charge for acting classes!

Throw that clean criminal record into an email, and baby, you got an education going!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

There are fewer since the most blatant ones got regulated out of existence, but for profit schools where the marketing strategies are “oh, look, you qualified for exactly as much ‘aid’ as the salesperson wanted” and “sure, we can count your ‘life experience’ as credits” are out there. Mostly the scam involves guiding the student through applying for federal assistance too.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Portland Polycule Commune Cult additional:

Dumbfounded tumblr posters have attempted to diagram the situation

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 24, 2024

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I think what's most baffling is he thinks this isn't a scam but a "modern online degree". Like this is the way thing will be soon. Reminds me of a book I read a decade ago claiming that MLMs were the future of business.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Despite it being Tuesday, I appreciate the extra effort in the post.

E: They really do have an app for everything.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 24, 2024

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

oh did someone already post it? i'm 400 posts behind and wading through weird arguments about tents but thought it'd blow peoples' minds. edited it down to just the diagrams (tbh I love that tumblr posters got together on discord to diagram it and come up with discussion questions)

aita? someone else posted aita's from tumblr while i was busy with work and now i'm sad i can't be the one to post the juiciest one i've been following for days

quote:

at least i was the first to post Olm Time tho

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 24, 2024

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

oh did someone already post it? i'm 400 posts behind and wading through weird arguments about tents but thought it'd blow peoples' minds.

aita? someone else posted aita's from tumblr while i was busy with work and now i'm sad i can't be the one to post the juiciest one i've been following for days

The diagram was new, at least! I appreciated it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

this is an all timer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elblanco posted:

I think what's most baffling is he thinks this isn't a scam but a "modern online degree". Like this is the way thing will be soon. Reminds me of a book I read a decade ago claiming that MLMs were the future of business.

There are some people who are just absolutely determined to fall for the most blatant, ruinous scam they can find.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Troublemaker posted:

You think that this university has professors?

Sorry. Had professors.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Let's check in on Captain Awkward.

Need to convince my ex-husband to have my babies.

quote:

Dear Captain Awkward,

Four years ago I convinced my ex husband to have an open marriage. We are now officially divorced. Before we started the open marriage, I promised my ex we can start a family after we gave it a try. I still want to keep my promise and give him four children. That was the number he wanted. I wanted two, but I’m open to whatever he wants. I’m 34 and I want to do this as soon as possible. Now that he is single, I know he can find someone else. But I fear it will take him a lot longer finding anyone than just trying with me. I know he will be the best dad in the world and he deserves to have children of his own. I know with some certainty that he still wants to have children with me but he is still deeply hurt for what I dragged him through.

I don’t want to come off as if I’m manipulating him again. I don’t blame him, but I can’t wait for him to come around. I also plan to give up all parental rights to our four children. If my ex wants me to have no part in the children’s lives, I will stay away. If he wants me to pay child support, I’ll gladly do it. I need help to convince him to put up with me for another four more years and be at my side during the pregnancy.

The tricky part is I’m still in the polyamory lifestyle. I know he still wants to have children with me, but he’ll never ask me. And in his mind it’s probably too soon to be bringing up such a crazy idea. I know this plan sounds very selfish of me and it may seem like another attempt to manipulate him or keep him in my life. I genuinely do want to give my ex husband children. Doing this for my ex is very important to me. I want to make amends for being a terrible wife and ruining our marriage by giving him the only thing I can give him and the only thing he may still want from me. Failure to do this will leave a rot in my soul for the rest of my life.

DL
:ohno:

The Cap'n's reply:

quote:

You write a snappy email subject line (preserved as post title) and I could not look away from the rest of your email. Yes, I’m trying to dig up something nice to say so that you’ll have at least one good memory of our time together before we dive in.

I’m going to say this as gently as I can: It is time to leave your ex-husband alone. You’re divorced. Outside of any ongoing legal and financial settlements dictated by the courts, there’s a big fat zero in the column of the ledger where all the promises you made each other before and during the marriage used to be. Even in lasting marriages children are not bargaining chips, consolation prizes, or debts owed, so whether he wanted four and you were willing to compromise with two doesn’t matter anymore because it’s done. Your rotting soul is not your ex’s problem and his future dating prospects and reproductive plans are not your business, not anymore. Let him go. Let him go be sad, if that’s what’s happening. His sadness about what might have been is not an excuse for you to avoid dealing with your own grief, and it’s not your job to interpret his unspoken needs (if it ever was). Leave that man alone.

You write “I know this plan sounds very selfish of me and it may seem like another attempt to manipulate him or keep him in my life.” “I don’t want to come off as if I’m manipulating him again.”

You can stop sounding selfish and seeming manipulative with this one weird trick: Don’t be either of those things. Learn from the last time (“another…”, “…again”), let this email to me be a fever dream you had when you were in a very bad place, and then don’t manipulate your ex to stay in your life just long enough to take care of you through four pregnancies in four years (!!!!) while you continue to date other people (sure, why not) at which time you will “gladly” (checks notes) abandon a newborn and a stack of toddlers to his care while you go on your merry way. (You do realize that once upon a time he wanted to both have and raise babies *together* and not just have you be an egg donor/surrogate, right?) The problem here isn’t that it’s “in his mind it’s way too soon to bring up such a crazy idea.” The problem is that every single part of your plan on its own is the worst plan I’ve ever heard, and together they form a bullshit Voltron worthy of its own wing in the International Shitshow Museum. And while we’re here, there is a word for “convincing” that keeps going after one party opts out, and that word is “coercion.” It has no business anywhere near the process of making babies, including accidentally-on-purpose-which-this-would-definitely-be if you were to have a little unprotected ex-sex for old time’s sake because you “forgot” to use protection. Leave. That. Man. Alone.

If I have any encouragement to offer it’s that you will probably not flail like this forever, you will probably not feel this level of grief and FOMO forever, and your soul is probably not going to rot and fall off permanently. But you will not feel better until you stop pretending that this terrible baby-trap-and-release program is just some fleeting generous favor you are doing for your ex’s sake vs. one last desperate attempt to hold on for dear life because you’re not ready to let go.

Like this guy, that probably means finding a therapist and starting a lot of sentences with “I decided_____” until you can be honest with yourself, come back to reality, and own your choices for what they are. You wanted to be polyamorous and you wanted to be married to that guy, so you chose to try to open up the marriage. After trying things your way, your ex decided that he would rather be single. That was the risk you took, and these are the consequences. You can’t have “both/and” when the other party votes “neither.” Now you’re free to do whatever you want. Please grant your ex that same freedom and go find people who don’t require convincing about the stuff that will make you happiest.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
r/relationships: together they form a bullshit Voltron

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

r/relationships: Your rotting soul is not your ex’s problem

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

oh did someone already post it? i'm 400 posts behind and wading through weird arguments about tents but thought it'd blow peoples' minds. edited it down to just the diagrams (tbh I love that tumblr posters got together on discord to diagram it and come up with discussion questions)

This makes me feel better about how excited I was to post it. :3: I'm pretty convinced the later additions (which I didn't post) move into troll territory, but I still think the original post was legit based on the fact that otherwise they've been in character on their blog since before the AITA blog existed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm partial to r/relationships: worthy of its own wing in the International Shitshow Museum.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

limp_cheese posted:

I'm partial to r/relationships: worthy of its own wing in the International Shitshow Museum.

See also: r/relationships:every single part of your plan on its own is the worst

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Would r/relationships: a bullshit Voltron worthy of its own wing in the International Shitshow Museum fit?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Space Kablooey posted:

r/relationships: Your rotting soul is not your ex’s problem

I'll take "things yelled at Kain by the Elder God" for 500 Alex.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

This is just the plot to Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
It is killing me that I cannot find out exactly which scam online university it was, and I have no idea why I care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018
I think all the "it's easy to get your degree online with our completely digital university" ads on Youtube and such are priming a lot of people to fall for these scams by making the idea seem less outlandish.

I had to take my last two courses for my degree online over summer semester with a nearby university, and I absolutely hated it. The math course was the worst: my school considered it undergrad but theirs considered it post-grad, the textbook was horrid to try to learn from, the professor had both terrible internet connectivity and a very heavy accent. If she wasn't super responsive to questions via email, I'd have failed. I would never want to do all my courses that way, it sounds like a nightmare.

Captain Awkward posted:

Even in lasting marriages children are not bargaining chips, consolation prizes, or debts owed,

God, imagine how many r/r problems would be solved if people realized that children are just smaller people with less life experience/knowledge, rather than items.