Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tobi is pr dope tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
who cares about fighting Big Jhos when you could be fighting Little Leno instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wtLNrBL_tE

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Thumbtacks posted:

I haven't played any of the other games except Rise and World/Iceborne, did previous games have a fancier color pallet than World? I'm wondering if World ended up kinda gritty to appeal more to western audiences or something, it's a HUGE difference between World and Rise.

Yes.

The saturation in 4u can blow your eyes out. The PS2 games are a little dull, but tri up through gen ultimate love their colors.

One of the first things I slapped on world for thos playthrough was a reshader to make the colors pop

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

I felt like world had too many dinosaurs, it needed more hosed up weird little guys.

Bishaten is one of my favorite Rise fights, he’s a delightful hosed up weird little guy and I hope we see him again.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

quiggy posted:

Jho was best in 3U :colbert:

3rd gen jho is genuinely a really fun fight! it also feels like it was made in tandem with the switch axe because the reach and moves of the weapon slot in so well with his movements in those games. he's also actually possible to iframe, unlike later jhos (in part due to the terrain being flat in 3rd gen so you can actually go between his legs during the shoulder tackle, etc.)

https://i.imgur.com/PCsXQaG.mp4

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Thumbtacks posted:

I felt like world had too many dinosaurs, it needed more hosed up weird little guys.

Bring back Qurupeco so we get the best of both

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Proof of a Hero in Fatalis is awesome but sometimes I forget how hard Safi's fight goes in the last phase.

RuBisCO posted:

Bring back Qurupeco so we get the best of both

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FireWorksWell posted:

Proof of a Hero in Fatalis is awesome but sometimes I forget how hard Safi's fight goes in the last phase.

They really should have made Safi and KT regular hunts or at the very least made their first couple of phases more interesting.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Nargacuga was a chump. Tigrex and acid dino on the other hand seem like the complete opposite and I look forward to carting many a time.

Charge blade is getting kinda annoying when fighting MR monsters. Seems like I barely have time to fill phials during the very brief openings between the monster zooming around.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Tigrex was WAY funnier in World, I swear all that guy did was spin like a top. He doesn't seem to do it nearly as much in Rise.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Missionary Positron posted:

Nargacuga was a chump. Tigrex and acid dino on the other hand seem like the complete opposite and I look forward to carting many a time.

Charge blade is getting kinda annoying when fighting MR monsters. Seems like I barely have time to fill phials during the very brief openings between the monster zooming around.

That is a persistent issue with CB, yeah. You eventually get used to it but it can still be annoying trying to find openings to either A) charge phials or B) use axe mode. I feel like a lot of the zoomier MR monsters were designed with using the clutch claw to wallbang them and create openings rather than trying to find openings in their attack patterns.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Hate Tigrex. Roars should not cause damage!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
defeated dire miralis and other than having a peek at abyssal lagiacrus i am now officially done with 3u :toot: i'm not gonna grind my hr up to 70 (i'm only at 30) just to fight the normal abyssal so i'll just poke at the event one and call that done. i'm trying to fight every mon in the series and ideally i'd hunt all of them but i am absolutely not enjoying 3u enough to do that kind of grind

https://i.imgur.com/2aEdgz0.mp4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

defeated dire miralis and other than having a peek at abyssal lagiacrus i am now officially done with 3u :toot: i'm not gonna grind my hr up to 70 (i'm only at 30) just to fight the normal abyssal so i'll just poke at the event one and call that done. i'm trying to fight every mon in the series and ideally i'd hunt all of them but i am absolutely not enjoying 3u enough to do that kind of grind

lmao

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Not getting any Wilds info until summer is going to kill me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Your Computer posted:

what'd you think of dire. I kind of thought it was insanely stupid

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
cleared malzeno this eve. good monster. also didn't realise how much I'd missed gore magala until his fight, thought I'd steamroll him because his moveset hasn't changed much but he hits like a fuckin truck

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://imgur.com/UwxNTCy.mp4

this was my primordial malzeno experience in a nutshell

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I’m not owned I’m not owned I cry as I faint while clutching my giant corncob

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

what'd you think of dire. I kind of thought it was insanely stupid

i don't think there's a single gigantic monster in the entire series that i enjoy fighting so i didn't have my hopes up - once i realized he's just a huge fatalis with equally huge fatalis hitboxes i knew i was in for a terrible time

i got him on the second try but i think i'd still rate it a worse fight than dalamadur

e: on a more personal note i also just think the design is.... silly. he looks like he comes from a 00s superhero comic or something. at least with dalamadur and gog i absolutely adore their designs,, which doesn't help make the fights any less awful but at least i can appreciate them in some way

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 25, 2024

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Fifteen of Many posted:

I’m not owned I’m not owned I cry as I faint while clutching my giant corncob

i'm so glad cornpopper isn't the meta wide gunlance anymore, i know you can use layered weapons but as a concept it was annoying

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I remember nothing about Dire Miralis. I felt like I jsut walked in with my lance and hit it and it died eventually.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Your Computer posted:

You really did Wrogs all the way to moralis, bless

Thumbtacks posted:

https://imgur.com/UwxNTCy.mp4

this was my primordial malzeno experience in a nutshell

After a very long break away from rise, last night I hoped in an immediately was evaporated because I was like "oh I didn't do this event for layered armor" and primezeno doesn't mess around.

Spent the next hour just testing out roll timings and openings for the fight and vibing, so I might get that later armor yet.

Otoh I can i-frame roll a lot of bullshit with rises base frames now :unsmith: Thanks p3rd and frontier

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It feels mean to me that half the styles with bow in GU (aerial, alchemy, striker) don't let you do power shots at all, feels like it takes forever to kill anything with bow without power shots. I'm still early though, maybe T3 blade wire and triple volley actually carry your damage, who knows. Bow in general is feeling a bit slow without good stamina skills (I'm still finishing low rank) but I like the slow charging and aiming style infinitely more than the evading charges of world + rise. And heavy arrows are the best, love me some heavy arrows.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The styles that can't use power shots are generally slower at hunting than Valor/Adept/Guild, yeah.

fwiw there's a bug with Rapid shots that makes it do less damage than it should, but Rapid is still tied with Heavy as the best shot type.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Captainicus posted:

It feels mean to me that half the styles with bow in GU (aerial, alchemy, striker) don't let you do power shots at all, feels like it takes forever to kill anything with bow without power shots. I'm still early though, maybe T3 blade wire and triple volley actually carry your damage, who knows. Bow in general is feeling a bit slow without good stamina skills (I'm still finishing low rank) but I like the slow charging and aiming style infinitely more than the evading charges of world + rise. And heavy arrows are the best, love me some heavy arrows.

hello fellow old gen bow lover. They're never gonna bring it back, but at least the old games aren't going anywhere.

Power shot is a lot of damage, yeah. Heavy arrows are fantastic once you learn how to aim them, it's a very exciting way to play. Love to get those part break dunks.

In low rank I ran some mixset of rahatlos and the mosgharl armor you get from the bumblepumpkins (rarely received during trading plants)--that got me focus, attack up, and weakness exploit. Before Rathalos, I think it was a mix of volvidon for focus, jaggi, and mosgharl again for attack up and focus. Focus really makes a pretty big difference on speed, at least as long as you release as soon as you hit level 3 charge. Haste Rain is amazing when you get it, and I ran two cats with go-fight-win! for free infinite stamina at least once or twice every hunt.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

felgs posted:

Haste Rain is amazing when you get it, and I ran two cats with go-fight-win! for free infinite stamina at least once or twice every hunt.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of go-fight-win support cats, that's a good idea!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
put some elemental heavy gunning sets together, but it feels like regular piercing just does WAY more damage than elemental piercing, idk what the appeal is. seems like a waste of time and energy putting them together at all.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Thumbtacks posted:

put some elemental heavy gunning sets together, but it feels like regular piercing just does WAY more damage than elemental piercing, idk what the appeal is. seems like a waste of time and energy putting them together at all.

Are you talking about rise/sunbreak because elemental gunning is stupidly powerful but requires a bunch of skills that you may need to qurio roll to optimize and usually involves dereliction so you're constantly in danger of getting one-shot (even more than usual) and can run into ammo issues for high-end anomaly stuff. You also need to use setting sun to get the most out of your very limited ammo. It's also finicky because you have to consider shot hitzone values in addition to elemental hitzone values so the optimal areas to hit with piercing ammo might not be the same optimal areas to hit with elemental piercing ammo. It should outperform raw gunning by a fair bit though

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 25, 2024

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i think that might be part of it, i'm not at the risen guys yet so my set isn't completely optimal but i am running the qurio health drain poo poo. i think i'm not used to elemental weakzones, i've noticed bullets will typically do more damage but with crouching shot they still fire less frequently so it FEELS like way less damage, idk if it actually is. does feel like ammo is a lot harder to manage, though, since you can make less of it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Thumbtacks posted:

i think that might be part of it, i'm not at the risen guys yet so my set isn't completely optimal but i am running the qurio health drain poo poo. i think i'm not used to elemental weakzones, i've noticed bullets will typically do more damage but with crouching shot they still fire less frequently so it FEELS like way less damage, idk if it actually is. does feel like ammo is a lot harder to manage, though, since you can make less of it

FYI Dereliction is 100% optional on any set and it's mainly a speedrunner skill or for showing off how big your dick is.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Neo_Crimson posted:

FYI Dereliction is 100% optional on any set and it's mainly a speedrunner skill or for showing off how big your dick is.

Not for elemental gunning, you have so little ammo and the bonus for draconic conversion or whatever (the skill that converts elemental resistance to elemental damage) is a fraction of what melee gets, same with burst so there are few viable ways to get good elemental damage past the elemental attack up skills. Even with mail of hellfire, the scroll that gave you elemental damage is opposite of the dereliction scroll that gives you elemental damage and dereliction gave you way more. You either have to run dereliction or go back to camp to restock on ammo. Elemental gunning is just kind of a hassle overall, I didn't really do it except when I got bored or wanted to blow the gently caress out of a seething bazel/diablos, otherwise I just stuck with lance, hammer, or raw guns.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Has anyone else on Rise PC been getting Fatal D3D Error (6)?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Saw some streamers play MHW with the ICE mod so I decided to try it out and
https://i.imgur.com/03mZHOB.mp4
I love this game :v:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
https://twitter.com/QuirklessStoner/status/1750885696246612136?s=19

It do be like that

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I just like rolling the dice for stylish attacks and finishers too much

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Exodee posted:

Saw some streamers play MHW with the ICE mod so I decided to try it out and
https://i.imgur.com/03mZHOB.mp4
I love this game :v:

Lol.

Omni Lance feels sooo gooood in ICE!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Put an LBG set together, piercing 2 RF is pretty fun. Surprised at how different sets end up looking between LBG/HBG, kinda interesting. I have no idea when I would actually use wyvernblast unless it's downed, pretty sure that's basically the only time I'll use them. Seems kinda useless but I'm sure there's fun tricks I'm not aware of.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

v1ld posted:

Lol.

Omni Lance feels sooo gooood in ICE!
It does! I'm loving how they reworked it, and also
https://i.imgur.com/67IbsXI.mp4
that was totally on purpose, I swear :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Exodee posted:

It does! I'm loving how they reworked it, and also
https://i.imgur.com/67IbsXI.mp4
that was totally on purpose, I swear :smuggo:

Cool wyrmstake!

Here's a Ryo video where it turns out if you just wyrmstake empty air, Fatalis will keep sticking its head right there. Easiest Fatalis clear ever once you know that mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB60UvqXcyU

The insane predictive knowledge stuff starts around the 1 minute mark, once all the prep is done.