Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nail Rat posted:

It's actually one of the lowest percentages for an incumbent president in New Hampshire for their own primary in the last 50+ years.

Nixon had 67.6% in 72, George HW Bush had 53% in 92.

Reagan, Clinton, W, Trump, and Obama were all higher, though Regan did run unopposed.

I think he meant that he got 75% with a write-in campaign. All of those other people were on the ballot.

The people running unopposed obviously got more than 75%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Misunderstood posted:

An eighth will generally go for about $45 in Connecticut but you can get an ounce in Massachusetts for about $100 if you go to the right place. Doubt there's any habitual smokers buying their stuff legally in Connecticut; if you buy it enough that the cost means anything to you our dispensaries aren't worth it. Good in a pinch, though. The taxes are definitely annoying.

I imagine California still has a strong legacy of individual growing, so there are probably a ton of grey market suppliers relative to other places.

This is hilarious to me because in NC it's still technically illegal but the THCA "hemp" loophole has been stretched large enough for I-40 to go through it. You can buy bulk online for under $100/oz and the USPS will deliver it to your mailbox.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Eletriarnation posted:

This is hilarious to me because in NC it's still technically illegal but the THCA "hemp" loophole has been stretched large enough for I-40 to go through it. You can buy bulk online for under $100/oz and the USPS will deliver it to your mailbox.

Is this why I'm getting Mood.com mailers now in NC?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The USPS has a long and proud tradition of delivering illegal drugs right to people's doors. Hell, I'd be interested in shopping the gray market as our local stores are expensive, but I'm basically Hal from Malcom in the Middle and wouldn't know the first thing about getting that info.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

mutata posted:

The USPS has a long and proud tradition of delivering illegal drugs right to people's doors. Hell, I'd be interested in shopping the gray market as our local stores are expensive, but I'm basically Hal from Malcom in the Middle and wouldn't know the first thing about getting that info.

USPS gets paid and does work. But I'm surprised if they don't have some checks for drugs in the mail?

Step one is basically have a cool friend who gives you someone else's contact number.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Living in a non-legal state, the sea change in availability and product quality that came after some big states legalized means that even here we get packaged and branded THC products. Most of the big cities don't even enforce anymore, it's quite literally a policy of Austin police department to not arrest for possession. It's going to be legal nationwide within the next 10 years, I think, and right now we're just stuck because there are too many veto points for the extreme squares who think weed is hippie bullshit still around.

It's funny to me because marijuana activism was the first big political cause I got into, did a bunch of organizing for NORML and even back then I never thought it would be fully legalized, but now it seems like that's gonna happen.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

It's actually one of the lowest percentages for an incumbent president in New Hampshire for their own primary in the last 50+ years.

Nixon had 67.6% in 72, George HW Bush had 53% in 92.

Reagan, Clinton, W, Trump, and Obama were all higher, though Regan did run unopposed.

Reagan, Clinton, W, Trump, and Obama all had the distinct advantage of actually being on the New Hampshire ballot in the first place.

This was an unsanctioned, non-binding primary held on the wrong date, any delegates awarded from it will be ignored, and therefore Biden refused to appear on the ballot. Comparing the results here to previous primaries is silly, because the conditions are very different.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Everybody Hates Biden

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The official Child Tax Credit/Business R&D Tax credit compromise bill has been released.

It's basically mostly what was reported earlier.

The changes to the CTC:

- Increased refundability to $2,000.
- Indexed to cost of living after 2025 and rounded up to the nearest $100.
- You can use your current year income or last year income to calculate your credit, whichever is higher.
- Change the benefit calculation so people with more than 2 kids aren't penalized.
- Changes are back-dated to December 2022, so you can use the benefits on the current year of tax filings.

If you were getting the max benefit before, then it will be about $400 extra.

If you were lower-income and not getting the full benefit before, then it could be up to a $600 increase.

That is roughly 25% of the increase for kids under 7 and roughly 1/3 of the increase for kids over 7 that was in the 2021 Biden Stimulus bill (which maxed out at about $2,000 extra for kids under 7).

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1749968145576579172

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
USPS can send a parcel to the US Postal Inspection Service if they have reason to think there's a controlled substance inside. I had to once as a clerk because the box reeked of weed.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_019.htm

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Star Man posted:

USPS can send a parcel to the US Postal Inspection Service if they have reason to think there's a controlled substance inside. I had to once as a clerk because the box reeked of weed.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_019.htm

Right, in the case of NC the trick is that the specific chemical (Delta-9 THC) used by federal law to define a chunk of plant as completely legal "hemp" vs. Schedule 1 "cannabis" isn't actually the only one which can get you high and improved processing methods have allowed producers to create extremely high THCA product which is still, legally, hemp.

So, the product is being openly labeled and sold as what it is and the USPS doesn't have any legal basis to treat it any differently from a box full of pine straw. No one in the state legislature wants to rock the boat and close the loophole because, presumably, farmers are making bank.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
thank god for technically legal hemp weed so i can buy these dubious carts from vapors. sincerely. my budget appreciates it and bama ain't going to be moving to legal legal anytime soon

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Medmen was a company that was really great at marketing themselves to investors and not at anything else. The idea that their failure is representative of the industry as a whole is laughable. "Growth was lower than projected" is the most capitalism-brained take on the industry

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1750189021743980773

Given Biden's strong showing in a primary he wasn't on the ballot for and Trump's narrower-than-he-wanted-win (seriously he was ranting and raving at his "victory" speech) and softness with Haley voters - 70 percent said they'd never vote for Trump if he was the nominee, vs single digits for non-Biden Dem primary voters - we're about to see some new media narratives emerge.

e: They were writing this poo poo yesterday

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 24, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1750189021743980773

Given Biden's strong showing in a primary he wasn't on the ballot for and Trump's narrower-than-he-wanted-win (seriously he was ranting and raving at his "victory" speech) and softness with Haley voters - 70 percent said they'd never vote for Trump if he was the nominee, vs single digits for non-Biden Dem primary voters - we're about to see some new media narratives emerge.

yeah. media horse races until its clear horse won't or never ran. like obviously stuffs gonna change through out the race but holy gently caress trump has lost the indipendents bad.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Aztec Galactus posted:

We finally moved to an era of "Let's see ol' robbie biden wriggle out of THIS mess. Ah! Well, nevertheless ..." as if the great wheel was finally cycling around to its cosmic balance

"poised to embarrass him right back" yeah alright there NH

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Staluigi posted:

We finally moved to an era of "Let's see ol' robbie biden wriggle out of THIS mess. Ah! Well, nevertheless ..." as if the great wheel was finally cycling around to its cosmic balance

"poised to embarrass him right back" yeah alright there NH

https://twitter.com/NoahSmith128/status/1750192636743344508
also this.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
I think it's worth noting that Alex Sammon is not the typical reporter driving coverage on the election. He's partisan to the left and it spills into his reporting, like Ryan Grim or similar, which is a small segment of the reporters covering congress.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My take away is more that just an absolute poo poo ton of people stayed home going by the vote totals. I saw roughly 500 ads for the Republican primary outside of Boston, and I can't recall a single one about the Dem side (for good reason):

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

lol at the write-in votes for Gus Fring, Al Gore, Phoebe Bridges, and Randy the Hardware Store Cat.

Weird write-in enthusiasm for Pete Buttigieg, Michelle Obama, Gretchen Whitmer, and RFK Jr. at a college campus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

71 for ceasefire in UNH's hometown is not a great showing.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Roarty/status/1749973340423692373

Seems like there was actually a pretty robust grassroots write-in campaign for Biden.

quote:

“We get a lot of peace signs, that’s for sure, but a lot of people who hate Joe Biden give us a peace sign with only one finger,” Kath Allen said. At a stop in Plymouth, one Trump supporter in a decked-out truck circled the town roundabout over and over again, honking and yelling at the write-in campaigners. However, they remained unfazed; with democracy on the line, one heckler was no big deal.

So many people support Trump because he gives them a permission structure to act like this.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 24, 2024

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

The increased price from high taxes and higher costs for the business probably wouldn't be prohibitive alone. But I think once you combine the higher prices with the fact that consumers have to use cash instead of convenient card or phone payments like they would at a legal business and the fact that personal purchase and possession is either legal or illegal-but-unenforced, there's really no incentive for an individual to use the legal stores over the illegal ones.

I feel like as much as it is a tax issue it’s also a supply issue or maybe an issue of permitting for the growers. Oregon has 20% tax but the surplus we’ve generated has knocked prices down big time. Thing with taxes, and I can’t speak to other states and dispensaries, but in my locality at least many dispensaries will have various gimmicks to knock the taxes off the price if you go on your discount day or sign up for their club or whatever. I realize that’s really just the surplus allowing them to cut prices even more so but in effect it feels like there are no taxes, but… good enough ya know? Price has dropped almost in half from when the recreational market opened and on top of it feels like they mute the taxes if you play ball with the particular dispensary.

Whenever I’ve passed through California or Washington though, their dispos just don’t seem to do that. If they ever allow interstate commerce Oregon is gonna drop a lot of cheap cannabis on people, which I personally will be sad about because my prices will go up but it’ll be nice for the culture.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

Nixon had 67.6% in 72, George HW Bush had 53% in 92..
Gosh, I hope Biden does a little better than Nixon or he might only win like, 45 states :ohdear:

Was curious about what made Nixon do so poorly, and it seems it was his lack of opposition to Vietnam. A young no-shot guy from California, Pete McClosky who had only entered the House of Reps in December ‘67 ran as a peace candidate and got about 20%. (He would go on to serve in Congress until 1983.) Another 9% or so went to John Ashbrook, a retired rep and former Nixon supporter who basically ran on Nixon being a liberal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

71 for ceasefire in UNH's hometown is not a great showing.

I mean, an organized write-in campaign for an uncontested primary at a college campus getting 5% in a district is better than most write-in campaigns. It means at least some of the most apathetic voters were willing to make a protest vote in an uncontested race. It's going to get a fraction of a percent statewide, but there's at least a small bloc of people on college campuses who cared enough to register it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Gus Fring is Chilean, ineligible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

UAW is expected to endorse Biden today. They had been withholding their endorsement during the strike until they felt Biden had sufficiently demonstrated he was with supporting the union.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1750175926380527825

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The head of the New Hampshire Democratic Party says everyone is telling him that it was a tragedy that the DNC took the first primary designation away from them and everyone hates it.

No, he can't name anyone who has said that, but literally everyone is saying it all the time off camera and people from all 50 states are telling him that New Hampshire needs to go back to first for 2028.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1749881002309112049

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Gus Fring is Chilean, ineligible.

He simply needs to rewrite the constitution like Cenk did

For the record I think it is extremely unamerican that we don't let naturalized citizens run for president, any adult citizen should be allowed to run for office.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The head of the New Hampshire Democratic Party says everyone is telling him that it was a tragedy that the DNC took the first primary designation away from them and everyone hates it.

No, he can't name anyone who has said that, but literally everyone is saying it all the time off camera and people from all 50 states are telling him that New Hampshire needs to go back to first for 2028.

They're standing just out of frame, telling him that

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

zoux posted:

They're standing just out of frame, telling him that

I find it completely plausible that a lot of politicians are telling this man what they know he wants to hear.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New Hampshire lost its 4 year cottage industry and can't keep Sununu's off the ballot, so no they can get to the back of the line.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I have a question about presidential eligibility. If the US aquires a territory or state, are the adults in the state eligible to run for president? Like when the US recognized Puerto Rico citizens as US citizens in 1917, could any adult of legal age run for President, or just those born after 1917?

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Randalor posted:

I have a question about presidential eligibility. If the US aquires a territory or state, are the adults in the state eligible to run for president? Like when the US recognized Puerto Rico citizens as US citizens in 1917, could any adult of legal age run for President, or just those born after 1917?

Actually, neither. Puerto Ricans are not eligible to be President. It has something to do with Incorporated Territories vs Unincorporated Territories. For example, the Panama Canal Zone was an incorporated territory so John McCain was eligible, whereas Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory so it's citizens are not considered "Natural Born Citizens".

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kalli posted:

My take away is more that just an absolute poo poo ton of people stayed home going by the vote totals. I saw roughly 500 ads for the Republican primary outside of Boston, and I can't recall a single one about the Dem side (for good reason):

Comparing it to 2020 isn’t exactly apples to apples, as there wasn’t already an incumbent. If we look at 2012, Biden still got quite a few more total votes than Obama. Who had the benefit of being on the ballot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_New_Hampshire_Democratic_presidential_primary

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Randalor posted:

I don’t think it’s settled law either way. I think Breyer mused on it a long time ago and said he saw no reason they couldn’t but I think it’s one of those things that would have to be tested. What I find insane is that the us territories who have natural born us citizens can’t vote for the president. That seems a bit wild to me in the first place.

Zapp Brannigan posted:

Actually, neither. Puerto Ricans are not eligible to be President. It has something to do with Incorporated Territories vs Unincorporated Territories. For example, the Panama Canal Zone was an incorporated territory so John McCain was eligible, whereas Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory so it's citizens are not considered "Natural Born Citizens".

Ah okay maybe this is more accurate as my info came from an unofficial opinion from years ago.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Immediately? Probably not, because Article II, Clause 5 also requires that someone be a United States resident for 14 years at the time of taking office. Afterward, maybe? Part of the problem is that Congress or the courts have never defined what 'natural-born citizen' means.

There have been a bunch of Congressional Research Service reports that say most constitutional scholarship has said that for the Puerto Rico hypothetical, someone born before 1917 would be naturalized, and thus ineligible, but someone born afterward would be natural-born, and thus eligible, provided they also met the residency requirement, but those aren't laws, just 'Hey Congress this is is what Law Professor Types are Publishing"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It's not settled whether it happens automatically in the case of new states, but it probably doesn't, in part because Congress included provisions in the 1952 Immigration and Nationality Act which explicitly defined residents of Alaska and Hawaii born after 1867 (for Alaska) and 1900 (for Hawaii) as citizens of the United States at birth. As for Puerto Ricans, they're arguably already natural born citizens, but it's complicated!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Re: Trump's eventual death:

I think one of the reasons a true successor has never appeared is because a lot of the MAGA true-believers and hangers-on don't really get why Trump is popular. They go full anti-vax, openly anti-Semitic, they're viciously transphobic, and often, extremely Christian. Trump enabled all those things, and at times embodied those things, but Trump has no real beliefs or morals. They change to whatever the crowd wants, and he often stakes positions that are vague to the point of undefinable or changes his mind on a whim. He doesn't really care about traditions or precedent or about the ramifications of his choices, and will say just about anything, but he is also a coward who hedges his bets and takes no real stance until he becomes apparent what his base wants to hear. He is both far less monstrous than someone like MTG and potentially, far more, simply depending on how the wind is blowing.

A lot of the new class of crazies are just loud and out conservatives, saying the worst things they can think of that are still fundamentally grounded in the conservative belief structure, only more brazen and hateful. I'm not even sure it's accurate to call Trump a conservative. I don't think any of the pretenders have managed that yet.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Zapp Brannigan posted:

McCain didn't matter because his parents were already American though, right?

Like, a kid born in Germany to U.S. citizens is still a natural-born U.S. citizen (assuming the paperwork is filed, etc.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DarkHorse posted:

McCain didn't matter because his parents were already American though, right?

Like, a kid born in Germany to U.S. citizens is still a natural-born U.S. citizen (assuming the paperwork is filed, etc.)

Correct.

Harry Truman also passed a law that declared all citizens of Puerto Rico were American citizens by birth, so they can be President as long as you aren't getting into Obama conspiracy theory level twisting of what the definition of "natural born" means.

People who were born in Puerto Rico to two non-American parents before it became a territory were not eligible to be President, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ms Adequate posted:

Trump entered a sanctified space without bursting into flames?

Came to post this.