Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

My wife has really bad ADHD and will read the synopsis for a movie before she watches it so she can follow along when her attention wanes. I wouldn't do it myself but for that it makes a lot of sense, it's easier to follow if you know what's going on after all.

But what kind of psychopath substitutes the wiki plot entry for the whole experience, is joy so foreign

I do it the opposite way around that I'll start watching, lose interest and when my wife shouted at me for the fifth time to "stop asking questions when you're not paying attention" I'll read the synopsis.

We do not watch movies that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s7qbksMnzm1w5pr9j.mp4

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
that was basically my experience when i skiied. i hate skiing

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

teen witch posted:

I can watch the most goriest horror movie no problem but depictions of slavery, really brutal racism or animal cruelty are too much for ol TW.

Dead Alive or Terrifier? No issue. 12 Years a Slave? gently caress that, absolutely loving not.

The “no animal abuse” depictions do indeed encompass the horror films that actually straight up show actual animals being harmed. poo poo like Re-Animator is totally fine as it’s clearly fake. Still want to see Wake in Fright but I’ve been warned
I can't stand any media where a lot of the plot is pushed forward by one guy being an unrelenting and unstoppable rear end in a top hat. I love apocalypse films as a genre but hate them in practice because they almost always hit a point where they run out of ideas and default to Unstoppable Dickwad, and the only slasher film I've ever enjoyed was Alien.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Jan 24, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

tyrelhill posted:

that was basically my experience when i skiied. i hate skiing

I don't recall ever falling while skiing. But I do recall generally hating it. "It's loving freezing out, let's go down a hill really fast and get even colder!!!" ???? ?????

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The 12 year-old Swiss kid laughing at me stung more than any cold wind ever could

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Air Skwirl posted:

You deserve physical harm for this,
I will only ever watch the trillion Fast & Furious movies via Cinema Sins abbreviation and there's not a goddamn thing you can do about it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Has sound
https://i.imgur.com/UYgWGZn.mp4

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Skiing is great when you're young and falling on snow doesn't matter. I'm too brittle now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I went skiing on a church trip. The first day I hated it and decided on the second day I would stay in and read. I got so bored on the second day that I decided on third I would go skiing even if it killed me. I am now a ghost.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bitterandtwisted posted:

Skiing is great when you're young and falling on snow doesn't matter. I'm too brittle now.

I thought snow was soft (never seen it in my life)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It is soft, but at a certain age falling on it is like dropping a glass repeatedly on a very soft carpet. Tempting fate, and developing countless microfractures that will shatter your entire body simultaneously later on.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

It sure is when you're 20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Trees arent

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

I went skiing on a church trip. The first day I hated it and decided on the second day I would stay in and read. I got so bored on the second day that I decided on third I would go skiing even if it killed me. I am now a ghost.

stay safe ski ghost

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/gPSRvmf.mp4

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

zoux posted:

Trees arent

That I know thanks to my experience in the classic simulator skifree

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Then you know that yetis are only soft deceptively

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I don't get it :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I don't get it :(

They think they're in line to exit but they're just behind a broke down semi

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Everyone's lined up on the shoulder behind a stopped semi, the actual turn lane doesn't start until afterwards.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

looks like they think they're queued for an exit but it's just a broken down truck

e: dang

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

zoux posted:

They think they're in line to exit but they're just behind a broke down semi

Aren't they on the shoulder, too?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I keep hearing about people like this and it's strangely common for being the most unrelatable thing I can imagine.

Why read about them?

Cause they want to know what happens but not watch the content.

Reading "Bob was stuck in a trap that would cut his dick off in 10 minutes if he failed to find the right key. 10 minutes later his dick was cut off because he failed to find the right key" is different than watching Bob get his dick cut off from some rusty trap device thingy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/SaeedDiCaprio/status/1750152798623195473

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
But next thing you know you're ten articles deep reading about Rusty Dick Traps In Popular Fiction and The Effects Of Rusty Dick Traps On Communist China

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CainFortea posted:

Cause they want to know what happens but not watch the content.

Reading "Bob was stuck in a trap that would cut his dick off in 10 minutes if he failed to find the right key. 10 minutes later his dick was cut off because he failed to find the right key" is different than watching Bob get his dick cut off from some rusty trap device thingy.

Yeah reading about it is very silly.

Watching is cool and good.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I never design my dick traps to cause permanent harm. Also there is always a safe word, usually “Commandant Lassard”

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

freeedr posted:

I never design my dick traps to cause permanent harm. Also there is always a safe word, usually “Commandant Lassard”

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

That would be Gaspar Noe's Irreversible, which is also famous for containing another incredibly brutal and harrowing scene of a different nature I won't go into.

But why would you go looking for clips of that stuff if you know you hate it and it's gonna traumatise you?

I didn't mean to say those things traumatized me - just that they were more shocking than gore/violence in some horror movie.

Also after reading the Wikipedia entry for Ireversible, that does appear to be the movie and the rape in it would definitely be why I didn't watch it beyond that clip. Rape and sexual assault/violence I cannot stand to watch.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Jan 24, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh no I accidentally said a true thing

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nobody Interesting posted:

Aren't they on the shoulder, too?

Yeah, that's pretty common in rush hour here. The exits get really backed up, sometimes more than a mile, so people just get in the queue no matter how long it is or if there's a proper lane. To solve this, some of the towns have just made the exit lane two miles long.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Oakland A's are controversially moving to Las Vegas after the team owner, John Fisher, was unsuccessful in shaking down the city for a free stadium for himself. So he took his club to a place that will REALLY appreciate them:

https://twitter.com/MattOrtega/status/1750238668437250288

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

zoux posted:

The Oakland A's are controversially moving to Las Vegas after the team owner, John Fisher, was unsuccessful in shaking down the city for a free stadium for himself. So he took his club to a place that will REALLY appreciate them:

https://twitter.com/MattOrtega/status/1750238668437250288

should bring back the 51s name

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Are people really saying you can't have a genocide anymore unless it is against the same people who went through the last one? That's one hell of a gatekeeping.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

hawowanlawow posted:

looks like they think they're queued for an exit but it's just a broken down truck

No they don't, they're not even on the road. It looks to me like maybe an ambulance or something came down, everyone pulled over to the shoulder, but maybe the traffic hasn't allowed them space to get back on? I don't believe these turkeys are being fooled by a broken down semi on the shoulder.

Is there a longer version of this clip, or did they immediately stop filming? I really want to know how masterfully she corrects course.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Jan 24, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

credburn posted:

No they don't, they're not even on the road. It looks to me like maybe an ambulance or something came down, everyone pulled over to the shoulder, but maybe the traffic hasn't allowed them space to get back on? I don't believe these turkeys are being fooled by a broken down semi on the shoulder.

that exit might back up a lot who knows

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

credburn posted:

Is there a longer version of this clip, or did they immediately stop filming? I really want to know how masterfully she corrects course.

Don't overestimate the average driver.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Don't overestimate the average driver.

this, i doubt you even drive if you dont think people will sit in a line for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Elias_Maluco posted:

As someone who didn't see snow until their 20s, it comes in a surprising variety. It can behave very differently depending on how clumpy or wet it is. The ideal skiing snow is powdery, which means that it is fresh fallen and cold enough that it isn't sticking together wetly. It's fine to fall in, and if it's deep you can basically vanish into a big puff of it and come out fine. But, as snow sits it will settle and compact, and even if it stays cold it will melt in sunlight and then refreeze. If there is any warmth or rain this accelerates, and you can end up with very heavy slushy snow that is a lot less fun. You can also get areas that have melted a little and then frozen into patches or even a sheet of ice, which is very hard and unwelcoming. Most skiing locations will try to 'groom' the slopes, in that clip you can see the lines of the slope where they've basically done some landscaping to improve it. But on big mountains they might not have done this everywhere, and the edges of the run don't get the same treatment, so if you are a bad skier you can barrel off the side of the groomed area and fall into ice.

In addition, even if the snow is ok you can injure yourself by running into trees, rocks hidden in the snow, and other people. You can also just hurt yourself by pulling something as you fall, especially between the poles and skis. When I was first skiing I didn't understand how to stop properly and ended up wrenching my knee because I jammed my ski the wrong way at speed.