Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Hilldawg weighing in on the Barbie drama
https://x.com/hillaryclinton/status/1750185844219015517?s=46&t=pYXbrsIUxM-F__2KiH5Cag
lol that two rich white women not getting specific awards is considered anti-feminist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

#hilarybarbieforever

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Equeen posted:

https://x.com/hillaryclinton/status/1750185844219015517?s=46&t=pYXbrsIUxM-F__2KiH5Cag
lol that two rich white women not getting specific awards is considered anti-feminist

the criticism I've seen has focused on the fact that they weren't nominated but Ryan Gosling was, but it's not something I've cared deeply enough about to look into, just seen on bluesky and whatever

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the fact is gosling was the standout and funniest part of the movie. He stole the show.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m getting ads for the Liver King on Twitter.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you’re gonna well actually it, Robbie actually does have a nomination as Best Picture goes to the producers and she’s one of them.

Ah didn’t know that, but that’s probably what they were going for.

Anyway I think it’s particularly dumb Greta’s not nominated as well as any of the other directors who had their flicks nominated for best picture but not best director.

Like I understand that the extra nominees are to give genre flicks a nom if not an award but it’s still silly

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Equeen posted:

Isn't the issue that most of the movie is Ken complaining about how difficult it is to be a man, so giving him the award is like going "yeah! it is really hard to be a man! give that guy a medal for speaking up!!".

I haven't seen the movie but, while awards for rich people is bullshit (trophies are for Cub Scouts who try hard dammit!), there's a certain level of cultural significance there.

e: No actually I've thought about it some more, movie awards are for doing a good job in movies. If your movie makes a statement but your production / acting / whatever is poo poo, you don't get an award.

Nobody Interesting has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Jan 24, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol go watch the movie. the goose did give a stellar performance.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My takeaway is that barbie is a terf movie whose definition of being a real woman is going to the obgyn and is about the struggles of white cishet rich women with a couple of token minorities thrown in to obfuscate that its only relevant if you grew up materially well off. Also making Mattel CEOs into funny goofballs rather than amoral bastards is gen x selling out for the last time.

Seriously are the kens homeless? I hate to be "what about the men" but that's a pretty hosed up idea to bring up and then not address.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/HerbsandDirt/status/1749670811743711715

The fact that this woman didn't see any kids with disabilities in her school probably had something to do with the fact that prior to 1975, schools in America were just flat-out allowed to refuse enrolment to any disabled kids. And even after that, they were probably just shoved into 'special' classes. Similarly, the EpiPen wasn't approved for official use in 1987, which probably explains her seeing no kids with allergies.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ok so if that one scene completely flipped it from an indictment of toxic masculinity into a terf festival uh... ok?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Skios posted:

The fact that this woman didn't see any kids with disabilities in her school probably had something to do with the fact that prior to 1975, schools in America were just flat-out allowed to refuse enrolment to any disabled kids. And even after that, they were probably just shoved into 'special' classes.

I love this kind of thing. Especially the point on autistic kids - Carole totally knew autistic kids. Autism isn't new, diagnosis/understanding/detection of it is improving.

I adore my grandma but she gave me some of this poo poo when I visited her last - "No one was gay in my day!".

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

ok so if that one scene completely flipped it from an indictment of toxic masculinity into a terf festival uh... ok?

It's the last scene of the movie and the whole point of the grandma-creator bit. It's literally the culmination of the movie that she becomes a Real Girl when she decides to have a vaginarino

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Drama at the [award show]. drat, better talk about it lest they risk becoming even more irrelevant!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
barbie movie was fun and we dressed up and had a nice time NEXT!!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Equeen posted:

really when you think about it you posting an even worse tweet about the award nominations is basically doing the whole plot of the Barbie movie to me

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lazy_Liberal posted:

It also had a plot, heart, and a message + a beginning then middle then end. But since executives are the dumbest fucks on the planet all they saw was TOY MOVIE MAKE MONEY so get ready for the 2024 summer blockbuster Furbies followed by Barrel of Monkeys: Battle Royale and then something with, I dunno, lawn darts?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Robert Downey Jr didn't win those awards for his contributions in nano technology?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
#hillarybarbie

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cocaine Bear posted:

It also had a plot, heart, and a message + a beginning then middle then end. But since executives are the dumbest fucks on the planet all they saw was TOY MOVIE MAKE MONEY so get ready for the 2024 summer blockbuster Furbies followed by Barrel of Monkeys: Battle Royale and then something with, I dunno, lawn darts?

I want to see GI Joe take a real hard look at war

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Yeah a better brand synergy has never been made, it was a movie targeted at Hillary clinton alone.

For those not keeping up, this is not a compliment

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Uno I believe.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
bonus points if they take cues from spec ops the line

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

Pumped for the Pop Up Pirate movie

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Thomas the Tank Engine (2024) explores the historical use of trains in settler colonialism and genocides throughout history in a meta commentary about the properties racist origins. 8/10 - Mother Goose

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

I want to see GI Joe take a real hard look at war

some playrooms don't have a right to exist, inferior toy lines spread the disease of sharing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the gobots pogrom of 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ambitious Spider posted:

Ah didn’t know that, but that’s probably what they were going for.

Anyway I think it’s particularly dumb Greta’s not nominated as well as any of the other directors who had their flicks nominated for best picture but not best director.

Like I understand that the extra nominees are to give genre flicks a nom if not an award but it’s still silly

At that point you might as well just give every BP nom a Best Director nom as well. There's certainly a school of thought that the Best Picture is inherently the best-directed movie.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
drat talk about a foot in mouth moment!
https://twitter.com/ydsTrey/status/1749843120005464441?t=sMOVb2FOnygDv2bhF4GykQ&s=19

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Barbie is a good movie. I liked when Barbie met the old lady.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lazy_Liberal posted:

same

movie owned and had a clever joke about Citizens United within the first five minutes, tokin is doing a real real real uncharitable interpretation of literally the last line of the movie and ignoring all of the context around it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tokin opposition posted:

It's the last scene of the movie and the whole point of the grandma-creator bit. It's literally the culmination of the movie that she becomes a Real Girl when she decides to have a vaginarino

That's a very dumb reading. She doesn't become a real woman, she becomes a real human. It's established earlier in the film that none of the dolls have genitals and don't know what sex is; ken wants to spend the night with Barbie but didn't know why because that reflects a child's understanding of adult relationships. You can only interpret it the way you have if you ignore the context.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
barbie is a trans woman and ken is a chaser

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Also the last line is a punchline to the gag that you're expecting she's there for a job interview, given how she's dressed and how everyone around her acted

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Can't be me because idgi

VVV Ah. Thanks

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Jan 24, 2024

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

Can't be me because idgi

It's the CDC and only one person is wearing a mask

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I think you're missing the point that some normie liberals said they liked Barbie so you have to criticize it to signal that you're a comrade. Nothing on earth matters as much as signalling your communist leanings on the internet.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think you're missing the point that some normie liberals said they liked Barbie so you have to criticize it to signal that you're a comrade. Nothing on earth matters as much as signalling your communist leanings on the internet.

It's this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Doctor Barbie actress is a trans woman, so even if a TERF reading is possible, it wasn't intended by the filmmakers.

I'm also not mad at the Barbie movie for presenting a simplistic version of feminism because it is a Hollywood film. Warner Bros. wants to sell tickets Aunt Margie from Idaho, do you really think she's up on her Judith Butler or bell hooks? Let's be realistic. The Proust reference was already pushing it

No, the real reason you should be mad at the Barbie movie is because the lady who gives the big feminist speech also compares the Barbies happily serving the Kens to indigenous Americans dying of smallpox