Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hel posted:

you can actually enjoy the stuff it teases you with and occasionally delivers.

Wait it only occasionally delivers? I thought that was like, the entire game tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

credburn posted:

Were those added later?

I played through the game on PS4 at launch and sincerely have no recollection of fuckin jellyfish

I honestly don't remember any jellyfish either and I platted the game.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also, the annoying customer asking for all the pizzas and wine? It's the main villain, trolling you.

My favourite thing about that is how, despite the facade he puts up when confronting you, he's just kind of a sad, obsessed man. He's not one of those omniscient villains, he's not three steps ahead of you, he just barely knows what he's going to do or how he can stop you and his wild conspiracy wall of trying to figure things out, getting more and more frustrated, really drives home that point. It humanizes him to a point that you almost never see in video game villains.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Jan 24, 2024

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wait it only occasionally delivers? I thought that was like, the entire game tho

If it was the entire game we wouldn't be talking about it in the "PYF Little things in games" thread , would we?

Edit: but for real the game places a lot of focus on bad combat ,stealth, plot and knockoff Guillermo del Toro, that keeps interrupting the good stuff.

Hel has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Jan 24, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The other thread content: *beedeedeep-beep* "Sam." goddammit die-hardman we just talked, leave me alone for two seconds.

This thread content: I love the environmental storytelling inherent in Sam's room. He's basically the most important person in the UCA: he can't die, he's got the monumental task to save the world by carrying poo poo across Iceland, and he's the only one who can see the rain ghosts. So what does his room look like? It's basically a prison cell. There's a bed, a shower, and a wall computer. That's it. Imagine how normal people live.

The other thread content: I wish we saw more of that, other than the spoilery one and the one in the Director's Cut. I love exploring a real space, but Death Stranding is as unreal as it gets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought you were going to say "He's the most important person, so what does he have in his room? You guessed it: Monster energy drink."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm super tempted to use my mod powers to edit your post to Bridges energy drink, but I mustn't!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

lol, they changed it? They lost the coveted Monster product placement?!

All that kinda stuff is so funny to me. Death Stranding doesn't have Monster anymore, the Spider-Man games lost the rights to including the Chrysler Building, even this week my friend and I were talking about that scene in Wayne's World with the "No Stairway to Heaven" sign in the guitar store where they had to change what Wayne plays to a generic riff. If you never saw it in theatres originally you have never heard Wayne play Stairway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

All that kinda stuff is so funny to me. Death Stranding doesn't have Monster anymore, the Spider-Man games lost the rights to including the Chrysler Building, even this week my friend and I were talking about that scene in Wayne's World with the "No Stairway to Heaven" sign in the guitar store where they had to change what Wayne plays to a generic riff. If you never saw it in theatres originally you have never heard Wayne play Stairway.

The Internet is here to help you with that last one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCh6guovbt0

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just tell me it still has the ads for Ride With Norman Reedus

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Of course it does. What other sound than the roar of a hog could muffle the sound of Sam's cryptobiote-powered poops?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lobok posted:

I believe it got replaced in the Director's Cut, but the original release still has Monster.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Spider-Man 2 for the Playstation 5: You get to go to Coney Island and have a fun time on the attractions. (Press X to Cheer)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Press F to pay admittance.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Kind of missed multiplayer chat but Assassin's Creed 2 had a fantastic multiplayer where you chose a character, then both had to stealthily blend in with crowds, hide on benches and assassinate people. It was proper good and tense, and then almost immediately got ruined by idiots farming points by sprinting around throwing knives at people for minor points.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bogmonster posted:

Kind of missed multiplayer chat but Assassin's Creed 2 had a fantastic multiplayer where you chose a character, then both had to stealthily blend in with crowds, hide on benches and assassinate people. It was proper good and tense, and then almost immediately got ruined by idiots farming points by sprinting around throwing knives at people for minor points.

the ship was a good game and it's a shame it never made it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

the ship was a good game and it's a shame it never made it

It didn’t do terrible, it just came out when Steam was “that thing you installed to play Half Life/Counter Strike” and didn’t have a physical release IIRC. That hobbled it immensely.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hel posted:

If it was the entire game we wouldn't be talking about it in the "PYF Little things in games" thread , would we?

Edit: but for real the game places a lot of focus on bad combat ,stealth, plot and knockoff Guillermo del Toro, that keeps interrupting the good stuff.

The game is about delivering. It was a joke.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Marcade posted:

Press F to pay admittance.

Lmao

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It didn’t do terrible, it just came out when Steam was “that thing you installed to play Half Life/Counter Strike” and didn’t have a physical release IIRC. That hobbled it immensely.

Being a Source game, Steam was the DRM!

A multiplayer only game* in an era where game streamers didn't exist yet.

*it had a tutorial made of various missions and botmatches, but they clearly weren't the main attraction

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hel posted:

*snip*
Most of that is completely useless, You get the blood grenades so early that the pee and poop ones are never necessary, and iirc don't fit in the free grenade pouches anyway.
The only non-lethal weapon you'll ever use is the bolo gun, because it's one shot ko, easier to hit with and doesn't take much space, so all the others are pretty wasted. And for bossfight, you are either using what's in the arena or if you are farming them, a backpack full of rocket launchers.

OK, knowing Kojima the answer is “of course”, but do the human enemies have funny reactions to getting hit with the pee/blood/poop grenades? Also, one would think rocket launchers would remove the downsides of killing people, since you’d effectively kill and annihilate the body with one shot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

*it had a tutorial made of various missions and botmatches, but they clearly weren't the main attraction

I looked it up and it didn’t get a physical release for almost a year in the US (July 2006-> April 2007). Europe was like a three month turnaround. The market wasn’t as flooded then but I can see that delay absolutely breaking the community aspect pretty hard considering buying games on Steam was more of a curiosity than anything else back then.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It also wasn't exactly the most accessible and beginner friendly game, either.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Mierenneuker posted:

Was this not originally just a mod? I swear I've played this but not any released verison. I remember goons playing it, which was why I did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

credburn posted:

Was this not originally just a mod? I swear I've played this but not any released verison. I remember goons playing it, which was why I did.

Yep, it was a Half Life mod around the time HL2 came out.

E:for a while there it felt like more Source games were originally mods than originally games

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Vampire: Bloodlines and E.Y.E Cybermancy were the big ones.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Don't forget Dark Messiah.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MadDogMike posted:

OK, knowing Kojima the answer is “of course”, but do the human enemies have funny reactions to getting hit with the pee/blood/poop grenades? Also, one would think rocket launchers would remove the downsides of killing people, since you’d effectively kill and annihilate the body with one shot.

You gotta vaporize a corpse down to ash to prevent a Voidout. Chunky salsa might still qualify as Dead Body.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MadDogMike posted:

OK, knowing Kojima the answer is “of course”, but do the human enemies have funny reactions to getting hit with the pee/blood/poop grenades?

Yup. If you chuck it directly at them, they are stunned for free and shake it off like EW OMG WTF. If you throw one on the ground and they walk over it, they'll comically slip and fall in it like you dropped a banana peel.

Edit: and Blood grenades are basically smoke grenades that blind the enemy for free sprinting drop kicks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

If you throw one on the ground and they walk over it, they'll comically slip and fall in it like you dropped a banana peel.

Lol, I didn't know about that one. How many Kojima games feature slipping on poop, anyway? This, MGS2, and MGSV at least.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Don't forget Dark Messiah.

Hell yeah, that game owned so hard!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I swear there was a "spiritual" successor to dark Messiah with the boot and spiked walls in demo atm but cant remember the name. Think iron pineapple played it recently maybe.

Either way more of that please.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

I swear there was a "spiritual" successor to dark Messiah with the boot and spiked walls in demo atm but cant remember the name. Think iron pineapple played it recently maybe.

Either way more of that please.

Sorceress or Enchantress or smth.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You gotta vaporize a corpse down to ash to prevent a Voidout. Chunky salsa might still qualify as Dead Body.

So, like, if you cut a body in half, is that two voidouts? What about four parts? What about chunky salsa, how many voidouts can one body produce? What's the optimal spread of body parts for optimal voidout coverage of one body

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Knowing Kojima you might just end up with a bunch of tiny BTs instead.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Do you want BT bacteria? Because that's how you get BT bacteria.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Being coded in Source means that you can air strafe in Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Subtitle. The most air you can get is by jumping off a trash can, but the capacity is there.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

AC multiplayer was so much better than it had any right to be, yeah. Like you said it did have the problem that it kinda needs everybody to cooperate to achieve the "intended" experience, but when it did come together it was downright magical. My favourite was the poisoned needle, which gives you insane points but only if you can manage to not only touch your target but keep them from realising it for several seconds until the poison actually takes effect :allears:

Another great unexpectedly great multiplayer mode was in Kane & Lynch, of all games, called Fragile Alliance. The basic idea is that the players do a series of cooperative heists against NPC police, trying to get out as much money each time as possible. The twist was that the score for each heist is only distributed between the players who make it out alive, and your overall goal is to have the most money after all heists are done. So there's a strong incentive towards leaving your erstwhile comrades behind once you've got the money, or even outright putting a bullet into them yourself. Of course if you're being too trigger-happy, they will remember in the next round and simply take you out first.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
In K&L's, didn't you also constantly respawn as a cop?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Arkham Origins multiplayer was extremely cool and good - 2 teams of 4, Joker vs Bane's gang, and a Batman & Robin team. Gangs win by killing the other gang enough times, Batman & Robin win through getting a certain number of takedowns. Each team had unique gadgets and opportunity to get a super mode where Bane or Joker knock on a door and if you answer it you can play as them.

It was just really fun and unique, I miss it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Vampire: Bloodlines and E.Y.E Cybermancy were the big ones.

And there’s what, 7 years between those two?