Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I think the real difference is that Windows is intent on hoarding, studying, and selling user data and now enables all the other divisions of Microsoft to butt into everyday interactions with the OS. It’s like a lovely hydra that reads your mail and never stops reminding you that you could always give Microsoft more money!

edit: sniped like Microsoft stole NeXTstep’s window decorations

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

secret volcano lair posted:

This does not work / will not prevent that specific nag from showing up. You'd think it would, but it does not. You can see people making that suggestion here and then realizing they're wrong: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/16sxzcg/new_start_backup_button_on_new_file_explorer/

Strange. It worked for me on two different systems. I didn't try anything else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If neoliberal capitalism didn't exist you'd have more of a point, but as it is...

don't worry that poster publicly advocates for privatizing health care being a good thing, they absolutely know what neoliberal capitalism is

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

iKickDogs posted:

Strange. It worked for me on two different systems. I didn't try anything else.

You are not in one of the OneDrive "important folders" where the nag button appears in this screenshot.

There are other reasons it goes away sometimes, though. If you click it and decline to backup anything it disappears for a while. If you fully remove OneDrive from your PC, that also works

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

You are not in one of the OneDrive "important folders" where the nag button appears in this screenshot.

There are other reasons it goes away sometimes, though. If you click it and decline to backup anything it disappears for a while. If you fully remove OneDrive from your PC, that also works

It was gone for those folders too, but has returned for Documents on one system.

I think I declined to backup, the went looking for a solution. Applying the solution seemed to solve the problem, but if what you're saying is right, then it was the declining to backup that did it.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Wonder if that onedrive "magic folder" poo poo has any relation to that old trick where you name a folder the "god folder".

I forgot anything about it other than it exists

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

e: For reference, what "show sync provider notifications" actually hides is a Different kind of obnoxious file explorer integrated ad:

This is not necessarily related to your point, but goddamn what an ugly OS this is. Just flat blinding white and bright blue highlights all over a basic file manager, with minor hints of how it's all divided up.

MS: no discernable boundaries.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I am actually a bit proud of Microsoft for finally starting to begin to think about having an inkling of a thought about design considerations.

They're bad at it, but at least they're thinking of it. It looks better in dark mode but yeah, it's what we got.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

doctorfrog posted:

This is not necessarily related to your point, but goddamn what an ugly OS this is. Just flat blinding white and bright blue highlights all over a basic file manager, with minor hints of how it's all divided up.

MS: no discernable boundaries.

hosed up to take screenshots with dark mode off

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I hate that you can only get a clean monochrome tray icon for defender by enabling high contrast themes. Regular dark mode is stuck with a Windows 7 era blue thing that sticks out. Like, it's there, but you can't have it unless you go goth hotdog stand.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I hate that you can only get a clean monochrome tray icon for defender by enabling high contrast themes. Regular dark mode is stuck with a Windows 7 era blue thing that sticks out. Like, it's there, but you can't have it unless you go goth hotdog stand.

Why not hide the useless thing? (or is it a windows 11 thing that you can't?)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is there any reason why Storage Spaces would make boot times longer when the boot drive itself is not on Storage Spaces?

Every morning I have to sit and listen to each HDD in the enclosure click and whir, one after another, for about a minute before the Windows lock screen comes up, it's annoying. Is there perhaps a BIOS setting that needs changing?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

For reference, what "show sync provider notifications" actually hides is a Different kind of obnoxious file explorer integrated ad:

They couldn't have a better ad for Linux if they tried. Jesus Christ, who allows this poo poo to get released to the public?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They couldn't have a better ad for Linux if they tried. Jesus Christ, who allows this poo poo to get released to the public?

[looks at gnome3] ha ha yea...

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Is there any reason why Storage Spaces would make boot times longer when the boot drive itself is not on Storage Spaces?

Every morning I have to sit and listen to each HDD in the enclosure click and whir, one after another, for about a minute before the Windows lock screen comes up, it's annoying. Is there perhaps a BIOS setting that needs changing?

It shouldn't.
I am just guessing. Check if bios has some kind of staggered initialization for drives. Or if you are using some kind of add-in card for the drives if it has a jumper or something.
And now for the funniest one: There might be an unmarked bad block on one of your drives. Consumer drives are tuned to try reading for as long as possible in cases of error.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

astral posted:

Why not hide the useless thing? (or is it a windows 11 thing that you can't?)
Every so often a status indicator on the icon will tell me it has failed to restart its service, or that it's been too long since a quick scan, or that it doesn't like me having a setting for submitting samples to Microsoft disabled. Things that maybe will resolve themselves over time or will maybe eventually result in a notification, probably. I don't mind knowing as and when it happens.

Anyway, no, you can hide it in the overflow menu. It's in fact the show all tray icons all the time setting that is kind of broken. If you enable that, every program with a tray icon that you install after that, you'll have to manually enable the icon in task bar settings, because it defaults to permanently, completely hidden.

Don't get me wrong, these are super minor gripes, barely worth mentioning.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Hasturtium posted:

I recently picked up an off/lease HP Z440 workstation for dirt cheap - 12 core Broadwell Xeon, 32GB RAM, TPM 2.0, and storage too, for under $200 - and am genuinely wondering whether it would be worth the trouble to deal with Windows 11 quailing at me that my CPU is unsupported (despite the fact that the alleged blocking issues, Core Isolation and Memory Integrity, can be turned off)

I have Windows 11 installed on a Z440, and aside from jumping through that small hoop to install it, there have been no issues. It gets all of the updates, and all of the hardware works.

Windows hasn't mentioned the unsupported CPU at all.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

iKickDogs posted:

I have Windows 11 installed on a Z440, and aside from jumping through that small hoop to install it, there have been no issues. It gets all of the updates, and all of the hardware works.

Windows hasn't mentioned the unsupported CPU at all.

Yeah, I did it not long after that post, and agree. I’ve considered flashing the motherboard to TPM 2.0 support just ‘cuz, but I created a local account, disabled Edge and everything else that irked me, uninstalled a bunch of Microsoft faffery (and then uninstalled it AGAIN after I connected the machine to the internet and it reinstalled itself without my permission…), and now it’s fast and quiet and gets poo poo done without bouncing around like a terrier to tell me all about other Microsoft products I should pay for every month for the rest of my life. The Z440 has been stupid good value for the money, though I did disable Core Isolation just to avoid a performance hit.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 21, 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Once I got it installed, 11 didn't complain about my first gen Ryzen at all. But now the point is moot since I'm on a 7950X system now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20230324-00/?p=107966

hmm maybe if you stopped regressing the UI for no good reason then people wouldn't want to install these hacky "shell enhancements"

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
The little pissy comment about computer-savvy nephews! Just so revealing where they think the real problem is: users WANTING things, the arseholes.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

repiv posted:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20230324-00/?p=107966

hmm maybe if you stopped regressing the UI for no good reason then people wouldn't want to install these hacky "shell enhancements"

Yes, Raymond, it’s all the fault of script kiddies, and not an indictment of Microsoft’s disregard toward its own users’ wants, needs, and workflows. Chen is a brilliant guy, but his tunnel vision here is striking. Yes, crashes happen when Microsoft updates the shell because shell mod patches suddenly try to overwrite the wrong portions of memory. Don’t extend an API to enable people to modify parts of the UI to make them happier with the platform without resorting to crude hacks, just bitch on your blog about it.

What’s probably going unsaid is that a uniform UI provides a more reliable platform on which to deliver advertising to users, but I think we’re of a shared understanding there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Other people are hacking things like "the taskbar on the side of my display" in because the combined might of a company employing a quarter of a million people haven't been able to do it in two years.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hasturtium posted:

Yes, Raymond, it’s all the fault of script kiddies, and not an indictment of Microsoft’s disregard toward its own users’ wants, needs, and workflows. Chen is a brilliant guy, but his tunnel vision here is striking. Yes, crashes happen when Microsoft updates the shell because shell mod patches suddenly try to overwrite the wrong portions of memory. Don’t extend an API to enable people to modify parts of the UI to make them happier with the platform without resorting to crude hacks, just bitch on your blog about it.

What’s probably going unsaid is that a uniform UI provides a more reliable platform on which to deliver advertising to users, but I think we’re of a shared understanding there.

You're bang on with this one. People want options to fix issues with the UI. Like you said, if Microsoft doesn't actually want to give people options, then at least provide consistent and documented APIs to make changes that won't break.

But as you also point out, that would no doubt enable reliable cleaning of all advertising.

The guy came up with PowerToys for crying out loud, you'd think he'd understand.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 24, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Red-Blooded Windows Users: "My computer is broken!"

Computer-Savvy Nephews: "Yes... ha ha ha... Yes!"

PC screen: "Shell enhancement* Error!"
*latest fad

Raymond Kelly: "Gone to shell."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HalloKitty posted:

You're bang on with this one. People want options to fix issues with the UI. Like you said, if Microsoft doesn't actually want to give people options, then at least provide consistent and documented APIs to make changes that won't break.

But as you also point out, that would no doubt enable reliable cleaning of all advertising.

The guy came up with PowerToys for crying out loud, you'd think he'd understand.

He may well understand, while also understanding he'd be fired if he admitted it.

Honestly, as much as I dislike being asked about One Drive or whatever, it's way more day-to-day frustrating how much poo poo doesn't respect dark mode. Task Manager yes, Sound panel no, Programs and Features yes, regedit no.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He may well understand, while also understanding he'd be fired if he admitted it.

Honestly, as much as I dislike being asked about One Drive or whatever, it's way more day-to-day frustrating how much poo poo doesn't respect dark mode. Task Manager yes, Sound panel no, Programs and Features yes, regedit no.

Regedit has the excuse of being a weathered sandstone with a T. rex skull sticking out of it, in Windows-as-geology terms, but there’s no reason Sound Panel should misbehave so. Windows is a hugely complex project with innumerable bits and pieces but sometimes it’s striking how it can push forward on fronts that matter to Microsoft while the rest of it coasts on inertia.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yeah I like Chen but dang that’s a crappy blog post. It gives them a convenient excuse for their continued myopia of users wants.

Satisfaction numbers are down!

Just read Chens post on why!

<Ignore the millions of reasonable requests that lead to dissatisfaction.>

I keep meaning to write a better post but haven’t had time, so I’ll just say it: whoever it was that said to grab the win11 Enterprise install was spot on. I followed that advice and I love the result. I’m about a month and a few updates in and I haven’t had to uninstall any cruft from my start menu and I love it.
Just install enterprise and then upgrade to pro from there. Or “pro for workstations” in my case

Thanks random poster

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's far from an issue unique to Microsoft but the recent practise of companies that you pay money to deciding they don't actually owe you poo poo so either you have to sign up and post in a community forum, or ask nicely for a feature and try to get people to vote on it, can gently caress so far off. I hate it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
microsoft wants like $200 for a copy of winpro, too. for that kind of money i expect being able to pick up a phone and get a patch for my special snowflake problem within a month, but the best possible result of calling ms support is getting told you should reinstall windows lol

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Can you upgrade Win 11 Home to Win 11 Pro with license keys which come in the 11 Pro box, or is the upgrade an entirely separate thing altogether for some bullshit reason? Because I opened a shrink-wrapped, and put the key in under "Activation Settings>Change Product Key" and it said it was invalid.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the upgrade process seems to be buggy as gently caress in my experience, which is why microsoft holds a bunch of special cd keys you can input to force an edition change, names of which are escaping me at the moment so i can't find them.

then you can input the "real" key to activate it

fake edit: found a list on some github https://gist.github.com/jhermsmeier/5959110
these look legit because i remember the win11 pro one from the troubles i had last year, but probably wait for a microsoft knower to confirm

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They're all here

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/kms-client-activation-keys

I did the enterprise install to pro thing recently and had to use one of them to get it to actually downgrade to pro before activation with a proper one

RavenickSA
Jan 30, 2024
It sucks how pretty much any new laptop or pre-built desktop you buy now come with Windows 11 S, which you have to register to an email, then change to regular Windows 11, then unattach the email address from just to have a normal functional PC.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Build your desktops, buy old laptops and install Linux on them. Say no to prebuilts and new laptops.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Old laptops and old portable devices in general are disgusting

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Off lease business laptops are going to be as clean as any other used thing, and they're the laptops you should be getting, not ~*GAMER*~ laptops covered in RGB and Cheeto dust

Or you could just, you know, not be a germaphobic wuss like :chaostrump:, wipe the keys and trackpad with an alcohol wipe while the power is off, bing bong all the germs are dead

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 31, 2024

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Rather just buy something new on clearance or something and just keep it twice as long.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keyboards and trackpads and palm rests are wearable parts, and I don't fancy paying any real money for stuff where those parts are going to need replacing. Also any battery in a 2-year old laptop will be a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I need a laptop that will work in a muddy field (for running a live roleplaying game) and for that I prefer to buy used. Need to get a new one though as the ThinkPad I've had for years is dying.