Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BobHoward posted:

Investing in any hardware manufacturer, no matter what the reason, means he and his organization can't really do objective reviews of anything Framework sells. It was a poor ethics choice, but that's typical of Linus.
That's a reasonable opinion to have, but considering Linus's transparency about the whole affair I thought it was pretty funny for the poster I was quoting to be like "hmm why didn't Linus just review this one himself?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Eletriarnation posted:

That's a reasonable opinion to have, but considering Linus's transparency about the whole affair I thought it was pretty funny for the poster I was quoting to be like "hmm why didn't Linus just review this one himself?"

It was sarcasm

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Aaronicon posted:

Not just what Framework sells; he now has a financial incentive to make all products that compete with Framework look bad, so all laptop reviews or whatever the gently caress else Framework sells.

Yeah that's what I meant, worded it poorly. When LTT reviews a different vendor's version of anything Framework makes, that review is just as suspect as a review of the Framework product.

priznat posted:

He could probably frame it like his reviews are just entertainment and not meant to be taken seriously because come on look at that clown

He could, but he's been making an explicit push to try to be regarded as more respectable and objective, what with the big investments in labs and so forth. Owning stock in any company which makes things LTT reviews isn't compatible with that.

I work for a giant multinational company and the horrifically boring ethics in business trainings they assign every so often never stop at "don't be corrupt you dipshits", they go on with "Stay the gently caress away from anything which could have the appearance of being corrupt, even if you think you're a special boy who can do it ethically". Linus is someone who thinks he's that special boy.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was sarcasm

Yes, that was rather abundantly clear to me! I just thought it was an odd joke, that's all. Like, he's not hiding that he has an investment in Framework. If you want to call that out every time he mentions them from now on, knock yourself out I guess but it's not really news unless it seems to be affecting the coverage somehow.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 24, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BobHoward posted:

Yeah that's what I meant, worded it poorly. When LTT reviews a different vendor's version of anything Framework makes, that review is just as suspect as a review of the Framework product.

He could, but he's been making an explicit push to try to be regarded as more respectable and objective, what with the big investments in labs and so forth. Owning stock in any company which makes things LTT reviews isn't compatible with that.

I work for a giant multinational company and the horrifically boring ethics in business trainings they assign every so often never stop at "don't be corrupt you dipshits", they go on with "Stay the gently caress away from anything which could have the appearance of being corrupt, even if you think you're a special boy who can do it ethically". Linus is someone who thinks he's that special boy.

He has a terminal case of small business owner brain and there is no cure

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Whenever the Framework laptop is not on screen, the other laptops should be asking "Where's the Framework laptop?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Linus to utilize subliminal messaging:

"... that joke was laying the framework of this segue... to our sponsor!"

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Why are people still watching LTT

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Former Human posted:

Same reason people watch horrific car accidents, train wrecks, and other disasters.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Former Human posted:

Sometimes you just want slop

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Framework isn't working on a monoblock all-in-one heatsink, are they?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is made by a goon, I believe, but I cannot for the life of me find the receipts to back that claim up

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Upgradeability gimmick aside, that Framework laptop was incredibly loving shonky for a laptop at that price point. Then that throwaway comment 'last laptop you'll ever need to buy' gave me real Trigger's Broom vibes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It felt like the people really pushing Framework were all the hardcore right to repair people, while no-one else really seemed to even acknowledge it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It shouldn’t really be a surprise to anyone that repairability isn’t a huge concern for the vast majority of consumers.

Personally I like the repairability but the goofy modular components kill the idea.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 24, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I like the idea of upgradability, but mostly as a cost saving measure, and that’s not really what Framework is about.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's like the fairphone, yeah it's technically the most repairable phone but for the cost of a fairphone you could buy three normal phones with similar specs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

it's like the fairphone, yeah it's technically the most repairable phone but for the cost of a fairphone you could buy three normal phones with similar specs

so it's like the PS Edge where you can replace the sticks but the Edge itself costs like three regular controllers so you'd have to be on your fourth broken one to break even

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

so it's like the PS Edge where you can replace the sticks but the Edge itself costs like three regular controllers so you'd have to be on your fourth broken one to break even

Also you can only replace them with the specific ones made by the company, which I'm pretty sure is still true of Framework and it's upgrade boards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

This is made by a goon, I believe, but I cannot for the life of me find the receipts to back that claim up

He should be proud, it’s really well done.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For me repairability isn't Framework, it's being able to easily buy a genuine part from Dell or Apple or whoever without getting gouged on the price, and for the thing to not be held together with glue. I don't care that much about being able to keep a laptop upgraded beyond the point where the casing is all scuffed up and it's started to just wear out.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

njsykora posted:

Also you can only replace them with the specific ones made by the company, which I'm pretty sure is still true of Framework and it's upgrade boards.

Right to repair! with our specialized replacement/upgrade modules that no one else makes

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Hi, it’s me, the goon who makes these videos! I had posted it in the tech relics thread last week, which might be where you saw it.

Arivia posted:

He should be proud, it’s really well done.

Thanks for the plug, goon friend! I’m currently knee deep in producing some other videos (writing scripts, etc) so stay tuned for more good stuff. Or watch the backlog, there’s plenty there. I’m not a video person so I’ve been learning a lot about production along the way.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 24, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Oh now i have to watch them! :D

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

For me repairability isn't Framework, it's being able to easily buy a genuine part from Dell or Apple or whoever without getting gouged on the price, and for the thing to not be held together with glue. I don't care that much about being able to keep a laptop upgraded beyond the point where the casing is all scuffed up and it's started to just wear out.

Well, in principle you can just buy a new case. If your desktop’s case is somehow damaged you just get a new one after all.

The problem is that this makes no sense for laptops but the idea of a mobile device somehow being like a desktop from a tinkering/repairability perspective keeps coming back. The size, power and mechanical requirements for mobile devices mean it just isn’t a good idea.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

Hi, it’s me, the goon who makes these videos! I had posted it in the tech relics thread last week, which might be where you saw it.

Thanks for the plug, goon friend! I’m currently knee deep in producing some other videos (writing scripts, etc) so stay tuned for more good stuff. Or watch the backlog, there’s plenty there. I’m not a video person so I’ve been learning a lot about production along the way.

You're doing a good job! Youtube actually put your video in my feed before it was even mentioned here on the forums, so you're reaching your intended audience of fellow tech relic-likers.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Branch Nvidian posted:

Right to repair! with our specialized replacement/upgrade modules that no one else makes

I mean... it's an incremental step towards the ideal, not the ideal itself. I'm not really sure what you would have expected here - should Framework have secured commitments from motherboard manufacturers to make and distribute multiple generations of motherboard through retail channels? You'd still have Framework manufacturing the chassis, then - should they have gotten a second laptop manufacturer to commit to making entire laptops along the same standards as competition?

I don't think there's anything actually stopping motherboard OEMs from making boards to fit Framework shells, or conversely making shells to fit Framework boards. It seems like the barrier to a wider ecosystem is mostly just lack of demand because it's an expensive and niche product.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 24, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

You're doing a good job! Youtube actually put your video in my feed before it was even mentioned here on the forums, so you're reaching your intended audience of fellow tech relic-likers.

Yeah, that's how I found it too! I was like "okay I'll try a new channel covering micro-channel IBM sure" and it was really good so I went to tell other people. I might have seen it in the tech relic thread which is why YouTube put it in my feed, but still. It was interesting enough to catch my attention on the homepage.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i'm a big fan of repairability, but i have also killed an iphone trying to repair it using ifixit's poo poo guides, and when i looked up reviews of the fairphone, it turned out to have jurassic firmware versions running on it

apple have good reason to be against people trying to repair and replace things, but they also overdo it which prompts overcorrective regulations, and they honestly have themselves to thank for it

ironically, i'm not sure i'll ever be able to find a screw kit that fits my 2012 macbook air that i never got around to repasting, which meant losing some pentalobe (:arghfist:) screws i haven't found a good replacement for here in europe

the framework laptop sounds cool, but i/o and pci versions are king, and lack of bandwidth is probably going to become an annoying bottleneck the same way the mac mini's lack of i/o meant your ethernet speed could suffer from the lack of bandwidth to go around

hopefully pci5 will last us a while

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It really should be talked about more how poo poo iFixit's guides are.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ll give them a pass on a lot because they’re the only ones writing guides that aren’t obnoxious YouTube videos

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aren't some of the iFixit guides written by random contributors rather than staff? Some of the guides venture into trying to be funny or having a really long preamble like every recipe website, which can gently caress off.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Thanks Ants posted:

Aren't some of the iFixit guides written by random contributors rather than staff? Some of the guides venture into trying to be funny or having a really long preamble like every recipe website, which can gently caress off.

I thought the majority of guides were community written?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

A lot of the older devices are crowdsourced, but most everything since 2008-9 or so will have ones written by staff. My main issue with them is that the house style is to end each guide with "to reassemble, follow these steps in reverse" which is not how reassembly works. There are sometimes things you need to be mindful of specifically during reassembly that a site focused on novice repair should be drawing notice to. When I was cleaning my Xbox 360 pad recently I came across this where the trigger mechanism needs to go back together in a very specific way that isn't just the way you got it out in reverse. I ended up finding a 13 year old Youtube video that showed the technique for getting the trigger back in its housing very clearly alongside a rant about how horrible the triggers are to work with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kibner posted:

I thought the majority of guides were community written?

It's possible/probable that most of the guides are done by contributors but the ones with the bulk of the views (because they are for Apple/Samsung/whatever devices) are done by staff. I've not had a reason to look at iFixit for instructions and only see them if they're talking about taking the latest MacBook apart or whatever.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Not tech related, but why does every recipe website do this poo poo? I don't need an essay about how easy the recipe is, or how easy it is to change the flavor profile by changing out the seasonings, or the history of your grandmother who was raised in a small cabin in the woods with a dirt floor and who had to treck 5 miles barefoot to school each day. I just want to know what temperature to set the oven to, what seasonings to use, and how long to stick the food in for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't think there's anything actually stopping motherboard OEMs from making boards to fit Framework shells, or conversely making shells to fit Framework boards. It seems like the barrier to a wider ecosystem is mostly just lack of demand because it's an expensive and niche product.

I think one of the LTT videos, the one where Linus did an upgrade in a booth at a trade show, showed off a case for a Framework board that CoolerMaster was working on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Randalor posted:

Not tech related, but why does every recipe website do this poo poo?

SEO. If Google thinks your article is too short it'll exclude it from search results, so stuff like recipes and guides get padded to gently caress. The answer to why is the internet so poo poo now is always Google.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Thanks Ants posted:

they have "community guides", yeah, which is mostly just for niche devices

the irony is ifixit has a bunch of videos with high production value, and none of said value goes into telling people what to be mindful of since that's technically the main thing keeping people from doing a literal diy repair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Not tech related, but why does every recipe website do this poo poo? I don't need an essay about how easy the recipe is, or how easy it is to change the flavor profile by changing out the seasonings, or the history of your grandmother who was raised in a small cabin in the woods with a dirt floor and who had to treck 5 miles barefoot to school each day. I just want to know what temperature to set the oven to, what seasonings to use, and how long to stick the food in for.

Recipes can’t be copyrighted in the US. All that poo poo can be.