Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Even the DeLorean was at least brushed.

it's not always just that everyone is stupid except for you Elon

The more I think about it I wonder if Elon is this generation's John DeLorean, except without the industry experience. Looking forward to the feds trying to entrap him. Anyone know a neighbor facing charges looking for leniency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What if he is this generation’s Gerald Bull?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He's Gen X Donald Trump.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
he should finance that doohicky from contact starring shasta mcnasty

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Sagebrush posted:

I want to see one polished to a perfect mirror finish. It's like the only thing you can do with bare metal better than with paint. Someone's gotta be doing it already right

fun house mirror, fits the clown in the clown car theme well

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

weg posted:

When are we gonna see the first cybertruck that's purposely corroded into a hipster patina?

Probably real soon, sooner if one of my neighbors gets one and parks it where I can get to it with a spray bottle of vinegar.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
this that I posted in bad drivers should probably go here:

https://i.imgur.com/8LnqEV0.mp4

I was passenger btw the woobling is from the road dips

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

weg posted:

When are we gonna see the first cybertruck that's purposely corroded into a hipster patina?

I wanna see Will.I.Am give it the same treatment he did to that poor DeLorean.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mister Kingdom posted:

I wanna see Will.I.Am give it the same treatment he did to that poor DeLorean.

It will be the first will.i.am special to improve on the original

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I can't wait till a cybertruck dork tries to polish their truck with steel wool and Finds Out that that is not what you want to use

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I can't wait until one veers into a water-filled ditch and the ensuing electrical catastrophe puts sicknasty anodizing lines all over the body.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I can't wait until one veers into a water-filled ditch and the ensuing electrical catastrophe puts sicknasty anodizing lines all over the body.

Ah, this generations Tribal Tattoos, Lichtenberg scars.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 21, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Elviscat posted:

Probably real soon, sooner if one of my neighbors gets one and parks it where I can get to it with a spray bottle of vinegar.

I know acid rain still exists, but is a lot less prevalent than it was, but I wonder what that alone would do to it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wasabi the J posted:

Wait so it's just exposed stainless? you could just brush plate a cybertruck???

Oh, I'm sorry, did you expect a clear coat or something like that from Tesla?

I do wonder if ceramic coating it will be of any benefit. Seems to do wonders for paint, and I was really impressed with Cerakote's product on my headlights.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It will be the first will.i.am special to improve on the original

I am confident in will.i.am's ability to make any vehicle worse.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, did you expect a clear coat or something like that from Tesla?

I do wonder if ceramic coating it will be of any benefit. Seems to do wonders for paint, and I was really impressed with Cerakote's product on my headlights.

Its a perfect use case for Paint Protection Film. Since there are no curves it would be easy to apply too.

Make it sound tough and manly........

Tactical........

Repellent

Road

TACTICAL ROAD DEBRIS REPELLENT!!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You need to add “cyber” in there somewhere, and I think you’re on to something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cyber Tactical Road Debris Repellent.

Tactical Cyber Road Debris Repellent.

Tactical Road Debris Cyber Repellent.

Yeah, I think I like the last one.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Tactical Umbrella Road Debris Enhanced Repellent

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fresh_cheese posted:

Tactical Umbrella Road Debris Enhanced Repellent

TURDER?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

It’s like murder with, you know

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tubing cutter

It just...popped. one piece of it flew under the car somewhere.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
Serious question. I've got a technical background but I'm not any kind of expert in - what do they call it, MMS (Metallurgical and Material Science).

Previous owner installed all SS counters in the kitchen. They're not brushed. Drop metal poo poo on them, fine. Take pots and pans straight off the cooktop and lay them on the counter (several hundred degrees heat, oil, uneven surfaces), no problem. Expose them to weak acids, salt water, and super stainers like pomegranate and blueberry without a thought of 'Oh my god, I need to wipe that up', again, not a problem.

After >10 year of continuous use there's no corrosion and only very light scratching.

Wipe it down with soapy water and wipe it with a towel and it's fine. A little bit hazy but we don't wipe up with microfiber towels.

Hit it with Barkeeper's Friend and it shines up really well.

Sure, there are tiny scratches but so what? It's a working surface.

Why would the SS that Tesla is using not be at least this durable?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Musk chose an alloy that optimizes resistance to horse archers over resistance to lemon juice.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Take it from actual materials engineers then:
https://www.sae.org/news/2020/06/tesla-cybertruck-stainless-steel

Its some proprietary blend that starts off from standard 301 stainless (16-18% chromium 6-8% nickel)
And it might just be off the shelf 301 considering its corrosion resistance.

A better corrosion resistant steel thats still affordable would be 304* (17.5-19.5% chromium, 8-10.5% nickel,) which has appreciably more corrosion resistance but doesnt harden as well as 301 because of a lower Carbon content so you dont get the dent resistance musk wants.

* what the delorean used, hmm yet another solved problem revived by musk :thunk:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Fuckin go all out, make it out of Inconel 718 or Haynes 230, or Titanium alloy, that'll keep it from corroding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My mousepad is made of better stainless steel than the CYBERTRUCK.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
couldn't they have just clearcoated it and fixed all this? LOL

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Bare metal is such an unbelievable flex for an auto manufacturer that I never even considered that they'd be unprotected. Do they expect you to oil the steel?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just think with those panel gaps theres going be insane crevice corrosion

The panels will fall right off

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes, you will have to season your Cybertruck like a cast iron skillet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Colostomy Bag posted:

LOL

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

Bare metal is such an unbelievable flex for an auto manufacturer that I never even considered that they'd be unprotected. Do they expect you to oil the steel?

The main characteristic of a stock DeLorean, outside how lovely the engine is, is the sheer amount of upkeep that the exterior of the car requires

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Colostomy Bag posted:

Gonna fill my Cyrbtr<k with RFNA to season it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrQwerty posted:

The main characteristic of a stock DeLorean, outside how lovely the engine is, is the sheer amount of upkeep that the exterior of the car requires

Exactly what I mean, it's so impractical that even putting a price tag on one is a statement. I thought the bare metal ones were promo vehicles

E: that's something that super car manufacturers could get away with because they're not expected to see that many miles, and definitely not in all weather. Selling a car like that to the general public to use as their primary mode of transportation is an idea so "radical" that my brain just didn't understand that it was actually going to happen

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 24, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Tubing cutter

It just...popped. one piece of it flew under the car somewhere.

Mmmm, there's nothing like quality... and that's nothing like quality.

Wonder how you cast something that badly?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HawkHill posted:

another factor is that you probably don't use your kitchen 24/7 but many of these trucks will sit outside 24/7 subject to the weather. They'll go through daily heat cycles, and when the body is colder than the air, they'll get dew. There'll be road salt and stuff too. They get a static electric charge probably. They're scoured by road grit and tiny pebbles every time they're driven.

I bet the surfaces get hot enough to burn you if you touch them when they sit in full sun all day, lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HawkHill posted:

Supercentenarian war criminals aren't a particularly durable building material.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

another factor is that you probably don't use your kitchen 24/7 but many of these trucks will sit outside 24/7 subject to the weather. They'll go through daily heat cycles, and when the body is colder than the air, they'll get dew. There'll be road salt and stuff too. They get a static electric charge probably. They're scoured by road grit and tiny pebbles every time they're driven.

I bet the surfaces get hot enough to burn you if you touch them when they sit in full sun all day, lol

Sure, but that's not what I'm referencing.

Tesla is quoted as telling owners that they need to wipe bugs and dirt off, with absolute minimum delay in order to prevent permanently marring the surface.

We take 400 degree pans with oil that's run down the side and greased the bottom, and toss them on the counter; no problem. That's way hotter than any vehicle is going to get sitting in the sun, but it doesn't mar the finish.

Some spills lemon juice or vinegar on the counter, so what? Wipe it up hours later and it's fine.

Seriously, what's the deal with squished bugs and dirt?

A vehicle that needs to be reamed, steamed, and dry cleaned after every time it hits a mud puddle doesn't sound like my understanding of a truck.

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 24, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My first guess is, it gives Tesla plausible deniability when they reject the warranty claim of the 1/100 moron who get something properly corrosive on their truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Safety Dance posted:

My first guess is, it gives Tesla plausible deniability when they reject the warranty claim of the 1/100 moron who get something properly corrosive on their truck.

Could be, but they don't seem to have any trouble telling people to fark off over things like battery range.