Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Flying Zamboni posted:

I finished The Daemons and I liked it! Like a lot of the Pertwee era that I've seen there is definitely a sense of padding the runtime in the middle but at five parts it's not too severe. The Master doing full on black masses in a church basement rules and I like the concept of what the demon is a lot (Jerusalem calling it Quatermass filtered through Dr Who was spot on).

Azal was very goofy with his extremely over the top vocal performance but that was also very entertaining in its own way. I also got a laugh out of UNIT's practical approach to dealing with the gargoyle henchman.

This was a really fun story and I'm glad I watched it.

"Chap with the wings there, five rounds rapid" is the Brig summed up in one sentence, I think. Stiff upper lip, unflappable, and believes any problem can be dealt with through application of firepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There's a real danger in long running media of fans taking it over and turning everything into canonizing in their awful fan theories and wallowing in past references. When RTD revived the show I was worried that something like that would happen, but instead he treated the show as something fresh and distinct, not even really acknowledging that the original series happened (instead of an abstract, "Oh, the Doctor's been out there doing stuff and fighting monsters" way) until the second season. Davies knew that the series had to be accessible and made a point of that.
A worthwhile point of comparison is Star Trek: Picard, which more or less turned into exactly that failure state in its third season. It got some traction, largely because the previous two seasons seemed to be driven by active hostility towards TNG rather than fannish reverence and it was a relief when season 3 didn't seem to actively hate the source material, but it's very much "fans smashing action figures together" in its approach.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Picard S3 and Lower Decks are both fans smashing their TNG action figures together, and one is fantastic (LDS) while the other is terrible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The second half of Picard S3 was such a disappointment. The first half was pretty intriguing, dealing with fallout from the Dominion War. Then they just went back to the tired Borg well, while also removing everything that made them interesting in the first place.
I think the part for me that sealed that no, season 3 is bad, was when they brought back Moriarty. They brought back the original actor, and I thought that maybe the character and figured out he was duped in his last appearance, but no, it was a different, less interesting Moriarty hologram.

Every once in a while I’ll see tweets defending NuTrek, and even they seem to not mention Picard.

(LD and Prodigy are easily the best NuTrek)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Picard was so bad I don't even watch TNG in the background anymore. We've got threads detailing it's failures in excruciating detail also I won't be labour the point too much, but it's impressive how loving desperately bad it got in season 3. Just everyone-involved-should-be-required-to-retire-from-media-production-of-all-kinds-forever-under-penalty-of-law level of embarrassingly bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

And Prodigy is somehow both incredibly accessible to be viewers, and secretly Star Trek Voyager season 8 and 9, at the same time. So all things are possible.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 24, 2024

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Detective No. 27 posted:

SNW is prob my favorite Trek since DS9 ended.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HD DAD posted:

SNW is prob my favorite Trek since DS9 ended.

Agreed.

Also I guess I liked Discovery for the most part but once it left Netflix for Paramount Plus I stopped making any effort to watch it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay got to Image of the Fendahl and hey wouldnt you know it you got some Quatermass in my Doctor Who. Real drat decent story. I appreciate that they totally sidelined K-9 because it would not have been appropriate.

Very Good.

edit:

Okay moved onto The Sun Makers and looks like they sidelined K-9 again. I appreciate Leelas " The people rise up and slay their oppressors". Never change Leela.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 24, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

And Prodigy is somehow both incredibly accessible to be viewers, and secretly Star Trek Voyager season 8 and 9, at the same time. So all things are possible.

Hell, next season the kids are actually gonna be ON Voyager

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Picard S3 and Lower Decks are both fans smashing their TNG action figures together, and one is fantastic (LDS) while the other is terrible.
Yeah, there's illustrative comparisons there and it's largely the difference between LDS having a fun new lens to put on all this stuff and Picard S3 just referencing old stuff in the hope of getting a Pavlovian response out of the viewer. There's no point to it other than "Here's Jean-Luc fighting the Borg again", just like there's no point to lots of Chibnall-Who from S12 onwards beyond "Here's us wheeling out that thing you like again".

In principle, regenerating the Doctor should be a grand way of keeping all that stuff fresh - because a new Doctor, especially if they have a new slate of companions, offers a new lens to put stuff through. But Chibnall didn't give Jodie enough meat to work with so we ended up with what we ended up with.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LDS also doesn't skate over the dumber stuff from Trek's history, it either makes fun of them, adapts them into something better or does both at once.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am not a fan of this episode Underworld because its got some real bad green screen filming that looks like poo poo.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I still occasionally remember the sonic screwdriver construction montage from The Woman Who Fell To Earth and wonder about a Thirteenth Doctor being a mad tinkerer. An eccentric, but a practical eccentric. Whittaker's interpretation having this infectious enthusiasm would have worked so well for that.

And thank you Jerusalem for nailing something I couldn't put my finger on about Fugitive of the Judoon. Why didn't Chibnall commit hard on the concept and have the Fugitive Doctor travel with the Thirteenth for an episode or two? It would have been an interesting way of showing the differences between the two, and then you write the Fugitive out after a couple of episodes when they have a massive disagreement about the differing approaches.

But I guess there's a problem in that, despite the Thirteenth Doctor being theoretically a far older version of themselves than the Fugitive, Chibnall makes the Fugitive the source of wisdom. Admittedly, we don't know how many centuries the Fugitive and her prior incarnations have been around, but the implication that an institutionalised secret agent sent on uncountable ruthless missions is the wiser character than the scientist/explorer hero the audience has actually watched grow and develop is an odd one.

But, whatever, please bring back the Fugitive Doctor, Martin was really good and had a surprisingly good costume too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hollismason posted:

Okay got to Image of the Fendahl and hey wouldnt you know it you got some Quatermass in my Doctor Who. Real drat decent story. I appreciate that they totally sidelined K-9 because it would not have been appropriate.

Very Good.

edit:

Okay moved onto The Sun Makers and looks like they sidelined K-9 again. I appreciate Leelas " The people rise up and slay their oppressors". Never change Leela.

K9 gets sidelined for various reasons, one of which being that the earlier versions of the prop really didn't work well outdoors (later versions just mostly didn't).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Not a fan of the Underworld at all. Rather boring and its a story that was already done this season .

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
RTD at best is a man historically more interested in characters and emotional arcs than tight plot points. I think, in his take on storytelling, having the 14th Doctor Bigenerate and retire was his way of wrapping up all the Timeless Child/Flux stuff.

And, hell, he wrote more stuff to show how devastated 14 was than Chibnall ever did for 13. She seemed to care more about her own hidden past than half the universe blowing up, but even then she was giving speeches about how she didn't really give much of a poo poo in the end, which...uh, thanks Chris. Sure glad I sat through 2 seasons of that now!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, the Doctor is drawn to Ruby because she's an orphan with no knowledge of her birth family/origin. Like, RTD made it very explicit that he's Not Over It

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hollismason posted:

Not a fan of the Underworld at all. Rather boring and its a story that was already done this season .

It livens up a bit when they're shouting lager.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, the Doctor is drawn to Ruby because she's an orphan with no knowledge of her birth family/origin. Like, RTD made it very explicit that he's Not Over It
Exactly. If the plan was to say "The 14th Doctor got over it so the 15th never ever has to think about it", then the stuff about 15 talking about being an orphan absolutely didn't belong in Church On Ruby Road.

There's a difference between "I have done therapy so I am not emotionally overwhelmed by my past trauma" and "I have done therapy so my past trauma can basically be treated as having never ever happened and never having potential relevance to stuff going on in the present" and it's pretty clear RTD is going for the former.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hollismason posted:

Don’t worry, that’s the popular opinion.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The_Doctor posted:

It livens up a bit when they're shouting lager.

Doctorwhonobasswithmyheadman

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah wasn't that enthused by Underworld. I got the season ender The Invasion of Time coming up which looks like a 6 parter. I watched a little bit of it. We're back on Gallifrey! That's exciting more Time Lord stuff.

Overall I'm less enthused with Season 15 than I was by the Season before it.

I haven't watched The Invasion of Time but there were 2 really good serials this season with The Horror of Fang Rock and Image of Fendahl being really drat good.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 25, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Invasion of Time is really interesting and good up until the reveal of what the alien masterminds look like, which is.... underwhelming.... to say the least. That then gets compounded with the reveal of who is REALLY behind them, which is equally as underwhelming, and even the seemingly cool concept of exploring deeper inside of the TARDIS smashes headfirst into the clear lack of budget.

The stuff between the Doctor and Borusa I really, really like.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
K-9 while interesting is kind of a boring companion / quasi companion to the Doctor. Also he is not really in the stories that often he's just kind of there for some scenes. Although he was pretty active in the Sun Makers which was pretty good.

I'm not that impressed with Season 15 other than those two stand out episodes. I'm not particularly crazy about K-9, but I do really like Leela a lot.

I like that Leela's solution is to carry a big loving knife with her whereever she goes and has no problem using it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 25, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved the Leela/4 dynamic, him explaining how the TARDIS works is like a core memory for me :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ01T3_E6YQ

"... that's silly."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hollismason posted:

I'm not that impressed with Season 15 other than those two stand out episodes..

Yeah, season 15 is not one of the best, yet somehow is next in line for a Blu-ray release despite the Key to Time being right there!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, season 15 is not one of the best, yet somehow is next in line for a Blu-ray release despite the Key to Time being right there!

Yeah I mean it does have really drat good episodes. I'm going to miss Leela when she's gone.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the Leela/4 dynamic, him explaining how the TARDIS works is like a core memory for me :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ01T3_E6YQ

"... that's silly."

I really like the noise of the window opening on the TARDIS. Mainly because it reminds me of the "Look, Rocks!" bit which kills me everytime I think of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I was about to try to defend The Sunmakers when I realized that the serial I was thinking of was actually The Stones of Blood.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I really like the noise of the window opening on the TARDIS. Mainly because it reminds me of the "Look, Rocks!" bit which kills me everytime I think of it.

One of these days, I'll get to quote this and someone will laugh.

Until then, I soldier on

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1750522672180764955

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Since I have the Key to Time DVD set, I have no complaints about the BBC taking their time to get to it. Finish Pertwee first!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Ncuti Gatwa looks like he's been drawn by Dave Gibbons on this cover, it's really odd.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

Okay got to Image of the Fendahl and hey wouldnt you know it you got some Quatermass in my Doctor Who.

If you want some Quatermass in your Dr Who, go watch The Web of Fear, The Invasion and all of Pertwee's first season (one story of which is a pretty straight retread of The Quatermass Experiment)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you want some Quatermass in your Dr Who, go watch The Web of Fear, The Invasion and all of Pertwee's first season (one story of which is a pretty straight retread of The Quatermass Experiment)

Yeah I think after Baker I'm going to skip back to Pertwee

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
gently caress yeah, next month's Torchwood is an adaptation of How To Blow Up A Pipeline starring Ace.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1750561917230338057

Hm...Definitely think the book got the better cover out of the deal

'course, making a custom cover for the media isn't all that hard if you're determined to change it, especially since they were kind enough to give us a textless version if you want all the logos to match

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
TIL that BF own the doctorwho.co.uk domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

TIL that BF own the doctorwho.co.uk domain.

"Well why would the BBC want to own it. That series went off the air over five years ago! Nobody remembers it except for a few nerds! And if some of them want to own doctorwho.co.uk for their little radio show thing, who cares?" -- some BBC high muckety muck in 1996