Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

300 wins has not really been a requirement for pitchers. It’s not that you MUST have 300 Wins to get into the Hall, it’s that if you do have 300 Wins that’s virtually automatic.

3000 strikeouts has worked much the same way, and in the absence of large Win totals now it’s likely traditional voters will lean more heavily on the strikeout standard.

As inning totals have declined, so have K-rates increased. This leaves raw strikeout totals somewhat unchanged for individual pitchers, hence we still see the occasional 300 K season and 3000 K career. It is not obvious to me that the 3000 strikeout pitcher will disappear the way it seems the 300 Win ones will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The absolute gall for the editor to suggest she user her own personal credit card to book an earlier flight and then hope to get reimbursed for it. What a world we live in.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Hi baseball thread, it’s been a real long time since I have posted. But I have a random question: is there a way on bbref or anywhere else to look up total doubles hit in a stadium against the home team? I want to prove that Todd Helton has the most doubles against the padres in petco.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Hi baseball thread, it’s been a real long time since I have posted. But I have a random question: is there a way on bbref or anywhere else to look up total doubles hit in a stadium against the home team? I want to prove that Todd Helton has the most doubles against the padres in petco.

It's 22 so I doubt it. He hit 24 in the SF home stadium. (Bonds hit 24 against the Pads but only 4 in SafeCo)

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 24, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There is probably a way to do that on stathead but you’ll need a subscription to view the results

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Bregor posted:

I very much did not want Hoskins on the Cubs. 2022 had some worrying Statcast or xStat numbers IIRC and now he’s coming off a lost season. Busch and/or Mervis will be fine.

Most projections have Hoskins around 2 WAR and 30 HR. And he seems cool.

Mervis can’t hack it. Busch seems cool but he ain’t gonna do poo poo. He’s another filler bat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeepDickPizza posted:

Mervis can’t hack it.

Hey man there's just liek certain things you can't say around here

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

DeepDickPizza posted:

Mervis can’t hack it. Busch seems cool but he ain’t gonna do poo poo. He’s another filler bat.

Yeah, hitters never turn it around after like 100 plate appearances. Gotta cut him loose

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

zoux posted:

Hey man there's just liek certain things you can't say around here

I’d be happy to eat my words, but I don’t see it. The addition of more mediocre guys to play the same positions is just going to lead to all of them getting inconsistent at bats or riding the bus. If he had any outside chance to get better it would be through playing everyday at the major league level and it doesn’t look like that’s happening. The dream is over.

In good news, Trey Mancini signed…a minor league deal with the Marlins.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

Mervis can’t hack it.

mods???????????

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Mark Buehrle.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
CC is more "hall of very good" for me but I wouldn't be too upset if he made it in.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Well Played Mauer posted:

CC is more "hall of very good" for me but I wouldn't be too upset if he made it in.

Being a Yankees ace will push him over.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

live with fruit posted:

The Red Sox don't get enough poo poo for letting Beltre walk so they could sign Adrian Gonzalez.

In hindsight Beltre was certainly better, but at the time González was younger, and it's not like he stunk when he was in Boston (he put up nearly 10 bWAR in a season and change). So in the moment letting Beltre walk and trading for Gonzalez was a defensible move. Plus, if the Red Sox kept Beltre then not only does the Punto trade with LA not happen, but Rizzo doesn't wind up in Chicago.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

There is probably a way to do that on stathead but you’ll need a subscription to view the results

I think your avs are the driving force behind SA forums' financial viability

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I can’t see the title on mobile but at least it’s a Dodger now!

Also make me an IK so I can probe my posting enemies, driving them to change my avatar even more, thus increasing forums revenues further

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

Complete list of pitchers with 3000+ strikeouts who are not in the Hall of Fame:

Max Scherzer
Justin Verlander
Curt Schilling
CC Sabathia

He’s getting in easily and he doesn’t even need the Yankee bump to do it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DeepDickPizza posted:

Mervis can’t hack it.

I'm getting ready to merv out all over you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

euphronius posted:

I think it’s because he spent many years on two teams that are not very popular or covered

It would be like a good football player spending their prime on Jacksonville or the Chargers

Phil Rivers will cruise into the HOF

bawfuls posted:

I can’t see the title on mobile but at least it’s a Dodger now!

Also make me an IK so I can probe my posting enemies, driving them to change my avatar even more, thus increasing forums revenues further

It's hard to make out but I'm pretty sure it's a shot of Fat Albert desecrating Orel Hershiser's holy number

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Just saw a graphic on next year's first-time eligible HOF class and I for one cannot wait for the "Ben Zobrist, Hall of Famer" takes

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Induct the entire 2016 team except for Chapman and Russell

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The more I look at it the more I am fine if the Brewers never trade Burnes, even mid season, unless they are completely out of it of course. They already have a top farm system and more importantly the top guys will be in AAA and or be getting a taste of the Majors this year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I haven't been to Cooperstown in a decade but there's probably already an exhibit in the museum about the 2016 Cubs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I haven't been to Cooperstown in a decade but there's probably already an exhibit in the museum about the 2016 Cubs

Well I think there ought to be.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's hard to make out but I'm pretty sure it's a shot of Fat Albert desecrating Orel Hershiser's holy number
No clever title text, a very middling effort. (also he wore 25 not 55)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I didn’t see one when i was there a couple of years ago

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They are working on turning the entire museum into the Hall of Cubs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

DeepDickPizza posted:

Of course Mervis can hack it. especially at pitches outside of the zone

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bawfuls posted:

No clever title text, a very middling effort. (also he wore 25 not 55)

Pujols definitely wore 55 with the Dodgers

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Eric the Mauve posted:

i mean, there was in 2017 when i went. but that's because they have a permanent exhibit for "last year's WS winner"

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
lmao watching eric and bawfuls figuring the avatar out

it's andruw jones

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

oh wow, I didn't realize Andruw was that fat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yes its very obviously Andruw Jones

and yes, he was that fat once he hit his 30's....

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He got back into decent shape when he went to the White Sox.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I thought it was Prince Fielder and couldn’t really tell on mobile. I was confused why he’d have a Ranger as an avatar, but didn’t dwell on it.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

They are working on turning the entire museum into the Hall of Cubs

:hmmyes:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Matt Mervis should go crush some dingers for the YOKOHAMA BAYSTARS. It would be nice. His cool dad would like to do all the fun chants and stuff.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He got back into decent shape when he went to the White Sox.
what a coincidence, that was also his best year on both sides of the ball after leaving Atlanta

It's almost like his physical conditioning impacted his ability to continue being a productive baseball player

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CC Sabathia was easily the best pitcher on every team he played for (excepting the end of his Yankees contract, when he was still turning in pretty good seasons mixed with some mediocre old man seasons), got a CY and was in the top-5 four more times, only lost Rookie of the Year to Ichiro, didn't have a losing record until his 12th year of play (when he was 33), has 250 wins, and over 3000 Ks. *I* think he's in. Maybe not first year. But his similarity scores are surrounded by guys already in or that are almost guaranteed in.

Granted one of those guys is Jack Morris but that's not the point.

I still don't know how you don't include him. He was one of the AL's defining pitchers for a decade and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sabathia will be elected first ballot or very close.