Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've only gotten tier 1 balls from the ranch but it digs up arrows too. It's nice and probably a help early but it's also a good way to ensure every one of your chests has arrows and balls in it so that when you auto deposit it takes those out of your inventory too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

explosivo posted:

Yeah looks like if they're assigned to a ranch they randomly make spheres appear.

If you've tested it, is it worth the Pal slots to generate them? And what tiers generate?

Just want good info for the tips in OP and whether it's worth it and for how long into the game.

Edit:

Epic High Five posted:

I've only gotten tier 1 balls from the ranch but it digs up arrows too. It's nice and probably a help early but it's also a good way to ensure every one of your chests has arrows and balls in it so that when you auto deposit it takes those out of your inventory too

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on other reports.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah the balls/arrows are nice and I've kept at least one in the ranch even now that I'm needing higher tier balls just for stock when I try to do the catch 10 of a pal thing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cyflan posted:

Every dungeon is supposed to have a boss room with a big tree in the center, and once you beat the boss, there'll be another room with 2 chests and a second exit.
Kinda sounds like you've been getting turned around and just used the entrance as an exit.

Yeah the design can be confusing as poo poo. I use the plan I use for dungeons in any game; pick a wall, left or right, and then follow that same wall every single time the whole way until I get where I want.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dungeons are neat, bring a torch or make the hip lantern so you don't get turned around. Also, you can reset the boss pal in the Dungeon without leaving the Dungeon (this may need a group to do? I pretty much only do dungeons with a couple friends)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

explosivo posted:

I was hoping for at least a mention of the dang gamepass version being so poo poo.

You don't promise things you have no control over. Gamepass isn't on them, it's on Microsoft's end. If they had their way they'd just put the same build as Steam up and call it a day. They can't do that. If it doesn't get authorized, it doesn't go up. Microsoft has to authorize it. So instead of saying something like "We are aware of the issues and hope to resolve them soon" and being at the whim of Microsoft making liars out of them? Say nothing.

Khanstant posted:

Telling people to do more dungeons more feels like a cruel hazing prank.

The dungeons loving suck, easily worst thing to explore in the game. Don't fall for the prank.

Get a fast mount, run to the end, kill the boss. It's boring, but it's lucrative. Things that sell for thousands, more research points, accessories you can't get anywhere else....it's good stuff.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

plus you can reroll the boss to get a cooler critter at least. dungeons do blow rear end though

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

if any EU goons want to join a fresh dedicated server, I just set up an 8-player one. i also created a thread in private games if anybody else wants to put theirs in as well

come join me so i'm not playing solo!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052656

i also added the general invite code to that awful pals discord that someone else posted in here a few days ago, please pm me etc if that's not ok and you want it gone! i don't know how discord works

boofhead fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 24, 2024

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

boofhead posted:

i also added the general invite code to that awful pals discord that someone else posted in here a few days ago, please pm me etc if that's not ok and you want it gone! i don't know how discord works

Totally fine with me!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mulva posted:

You don't promise things you have no control over. Gamepass isn't on them, it's on Microsoft's end. If they had their way they'd just put the same build as Steam up and call it a day. They can't do that. If it doesn't get authorized, it doesn't go up. Microsoft has to authorize it. So instead of saying something like "We are aware of the issues and hope to resolve them soon" and being at the whim of Microsoft making liars out of them? Say nothing.

There's been a couple examples of games recently that started out with staggered updates between Steam/GP that eventually was able to close the gap and get releases on both same day, so it's not impossible. I imagine there's at least some discussion somewhere about how to expedite that process for the fastest selling game on steam of all time. But it is still early days so I suppose not mentioning it at all is the better option.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Khanstant posted:

I've never gotten ancient parts from a dozen dungeon runs. Never so much as seen a boss that could drop them. Just endless grid of the same rooms with 5 random chumps until you finally find an exit.

lol

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Talorat posted:

Is there a specific spot that is good for farming Tombats? The paldeck doesn’t say where they spawn, I guess because they’re nocturnal?

I've found some on the southwestern island, Seabreeze archipelago reef is the spawn. I think. In the vicinity of the boss glumos and the plateau to the east.

This area also has a strangely high number of tier one and two palballs just laying on the ground its weird

Arrath fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 24, 2024

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sab669 posted:

Also I found out your Flying Mount's Stamina recovers immediately, so you can just like fly low, hop onto a tree, then immediately call it back over to pick you up and keep flying again.

Fly low? Nah, fly high, jump off when the mount's stamina gets low, and then re-mount before you hit the ground.

So, if anyone has the sound of wings flapping just going constantly no matter what, it turns out that it's a bug that can happen when Celeray is in your party. Switched over to Galeclaw as my glider, and the damned flapping is finally mercifully gone.

Now if only I could figure out why my map keeps sliding off to the right for no reason...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Talorat posted:

Is there a specific spot that is good for farming Tombats? The paldeck doesn’t say where they spawn, I guess because they’re nocturnal?

In the bottom right corner of the Habitat screen is like a Sun / Moon icon.

Toggle it to to the Night Time Mode to see where they are

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

If you've tested it, is it worth the Pal slots to generate them? And what tiers generate?
They produce palballs, arrows, and gold/coins. I have 4 on a ranch on my starter base currently, all basic/not upgraded, and have a sizeable surplus of the basic balls at this point. I have seen claims that upgrading them to higher tiers with the combiner thing causes them to dig up higher grade balls, but have not done so myself to confirm that just yet. It's on the list, but capping my cap rate and exploring the whole map has taken priority thus far.

It's 100% worth it in the early game at least IMO, since they can keep your basic balls and crossbow arrows topped off unless you're burning huge amounts of both. That lets you stockpile stone and paldium instead of burning them crafting the basic balls, which you will need later.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Deki posted:

I just make sure the enemies have to come in through a chokepoint and line up big line aoes. The raids are usually done by the time the pals in back show up to fight

My solution is an extension of the realization that traps work really, really well. This is the first discovery, but I've since made it a long hallway lined on both sides with traps.

The bodies stay there for quite a while.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Dungeon runs:
Get a mount, yolo through the mobs looking for the boss.
They're also super rich in paldium boulders. A full inv run will keep you stocked for ages.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

oh, you can crush rocks into paldium

oh that's.... way easier

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

oh, you can crush rocks into paldium

oh that's.... way easier

The river running north ish from the lake on the starter island most of us made our bases on has like a dozen boulders along its banks, too. I regularly make a trip down it mining those and hit the fast travel point down below to head back home.

But yeah once my miners got going I regularly queue up 100 stone into 20 pal on the crusher and let it go.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cyflan posted:

Every dungeon is supposed to have a boss room with a big tree in the center, and once you beat the boss, there'll be another room with 2 chests and a second exit.
Kinda sounds like you've been getting turned around and just used the entrance as an exit.

Lol yeah I figured caves had multiple exits and I just eventually maze wandered into one of those to escape. Guess not. Without even a compass I can't even form a mental grid map of what I've explored or not and rooms are so identical I can't use landmarks or trail of dead to recenter.

If there's a guidemap to beeline to boss I might revisit dungeons but I've wasted several play hours in them already that could've been fun outside adventures and bosses. Outside bosses are fun since others join in and there are more interesting terrains.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 24, 2024

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Khanstant posted:

Lol yeah I figured caves had multiple exits and I just eventually maze wandered into one of those to escape. Guess not. Without even a compass I can't even form a mental grid map of what I've explored or not and rooms are so identical I can't use landmarks or trail of dead to recenter.

If there's a guide to beeline to boss I might revisit dungeons but I've wasted several play hours in them already that could've been fun outside adventures and bosses. Outside bosses are fun since others join in and there are more interesting terrains.

Easiest way to find the boss eventually if you are having trouble would just be the usual method to get through dungeons, that another poster mentioned before: Pick a wall and just follow it. You'll reach the end eventually.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Khanstant posted:

If there's a guide to beeline to boss I might revisit dungeons

Run straight ahead and ignore anything to the sides. I haven't seen a single dungeon that doesn't follow this route to a boss. I've done enough of them that if there's any variation, I'm legitimately surprised, then suspicious of their RNG.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Khanstant posted:

If there's a guide to beeline to boss I might revisit dungeons but I've wasted several play hours in them already that could've been fun outside adventures and bosses. Outside bosses are fun since others join in and there are more interesting terrains.

Like I said, follow one wall or the other. Pick left or right, and just keep following that wall exclusively. You'll get to the boss every time that way, sometimes even picking up a few random bonus treasure chests along the way. The real payoff is the boss and the two chests behind them though.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Khanstant posted:

If there's a guidemap to beeline to boss I might revisit dungeons but I've wasted several play hours in them already that could've been fun outside adventures and bosses. Outside bosses are fun since others join in and there are more interesting terrains.

you would die in the paris catacombs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I did that in DnD with my eyes closed once and really upset the DM circumventing all the cool traps they laid for me. Still feel guilty about it.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I have seen a dungeon that spawned apparently bugged before, with no entry into the boss room (obstruction in the doorway that would lead there). Granted that was once out of a ~dozen or so runs, but it's happened. Specifically the monkey one at the base of the cliff facing north, beneath the south-center(?) starter island church.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sushibandit posted:

I have seen a dungeon that spawned apparently bugged before, with no entry into the boss room (obstruction in the doorway that would lead there). Granted that was once out of a ~dozen or so runs, but it's happened. Specifically the monkey one at the base of the cliff facing north, beneath the south-center(?) starter island church.

funnily enough I had the exact same problem in that one

maybe it is a feature of that specific dungeon

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think I saw that digtoise or somepal had an ability to dig through walls or something similar that made me think there would be destructible blocks in paths eventually. Haven't used it myself but maybe that's what the obstruction was?

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
The dungeons in Craftopia sucked and these are actually worse. Some areas have different visuals but they're still the exact same annoying cave tiles and layout. I really hope that updating them is on the roadmap.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Dungeons are one of the least good things in the game imo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They definitely need work but imo the potential is there and it's a cool concept. :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For what it's worth there is a compass at the top of the screen and it works in dungeons :blush:

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
Yeah definitely don't want them removed, just improved.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Sab669 posted:

It's actually up to 7M copies apparently.

But yea - not much of a Roadmap, but as you said who could've ever guessed this game was going to sell like this.

They were worried about going bankrupt 3 days before launch.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I hope crossplay doesn't come out for a long time because no small to mid size studio is good at patch certification. maybe I'm still stung by how bad payday 3 was compared to PD2, which was a runaway success on steam in its heyday

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Microsoft should really be streamlining this process for them, maybe even giving them a dedicated dev to help them get crossplay up and running. This should be an insanely good Get for Gamepass, especially considering they probably paid only a tiny fraction of what it was actually worth. Instead it's showing the deficiencies of Microsoft's systems. Not a good look!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

bird food bathtub posted:

Yeah the design can be confusing as poo poo. I use the plan I use for dungeons in any game; pick a wall, left or right, and then follow that same wall every single time the whole way until I get where I want.

just only go left

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

non linear dungeon makes goons get lost

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Gawr Gooner posted:

The dungeons in Craftopia sucked and these are actually worse. Some areas have different visuals but they're still the exact same annoying cave tiles and layout. I really hope that updating them is on the roadmap.

the dungeons are just as jank as the rest of the game is

they are all equally jank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Game desperately needs more then 3 bases. 5 is probably optimal unless they introduce some kind of shared stash across all bases.

I've got 3 ranches running with 12 alpacas total to stack up as much wool as I can to make all the high quality cloth and get off of wasting ingots on armor.

Then if you want to breed you need cakes, so that's farming milk, eggs and honey, so 4 Chikipi, 4 Beegardes, 4 Mozzarina in a single base.

Based on Cattiva's improvement to level 2(+10 carry weight), using the condenser going from 0 to 1 Star is a 20% improvement, but trying to find 116 Beegardes or Mozzarina's is going to be a loving chore.