Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Husk looking like a Dr Seus character constantly throws me.

Husk was designed by Vivs younger sister who then gave her the character some years ago.

He's undergone two revisions since then.

So if his design seemed different that's why.

If Charlie goes full demon mode I could see her losing control and tearing poo poo up until Vaggie gets through to her.

Fun tidbit, Vaggie was originally suppose to be Angel's girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Charlie openly defying the Angels and stopping their purge might piss them off enough to reconsider the deal they made to spare the hellborn and just declare open season on the whole place (you can kind of tell from the meeting that Adam in particular already wanted to)

yeah. my view is the purges in general were a deal to end an all out war/invasions heaven launched over and over.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not to mention somebody in Hell already managed to kill an Angel. All out war between the realms is kind of inevitable at this point

Sort of curious if any Hazbin story stuff is going to eventually spill over into HB as well (or vice versa since the latter will apparently be over before the former is)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Viv has said Hazbin is intended to go on a lot longer than Helluva. Wouldn't be surprised if some Helluva characters show up in Hazbin after it wraps up. Heh, maybe some of the sinners that hired and/or were killed by IMP might look for redemption.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also if Heaven reneges on the deal and declares open season on Hell in general it seems like that might cause a problem for IMP as well.

Speaking of, did HB season 2 officially end or is it just on hiatus until April?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The last episode aired was "Mammon's Magnificent Musical Mid-Season Special" so we're not done with Season 2 yet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

The last episode aired was "Mammon's Magnificent Musical Mid-Season Special" so we're not done with Season 2 yet.

yeah, my guess is we have at least 3 or more years of helluva boss at least. about the same for hazbin probably.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hazbin's at the whims of the streaming gods, unfortunately, and they are fickle as gently caress. I don't think Amazon has been quite as fickle as Netflix lately, but there's risk there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hazbin's at the whims of the streaming gods, unfortunately, and they are fickle as gently caress. I don't think Amazon has been quite as fickle as Netflix lately, but there's risk there.

Amazon's talked recently about wanting to invest more in animation, so I suspect we'll get another two season renewal for this show -- particularly since it comes with a built in audience.

That said they generally suck at renewing things, and have unrenewed a few shows. The vast majority of the stuff they birthed last year has been since cancelled -- or, you know, have "failed to have been renewed". Apparently they're not a friendly space for queer productions either.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Amazon's talked recently about wanting to invest more in animation, so I suspect we'll get another two season renewal for this show -- particularly since it comes with a built in audience.

That said they generally suck at renewing things, and have unrenewed a few shows. The vast majority of the stuff they birthed last year has been since cancelled -- or, you know, have "failed to have been renewed". Apparently they're not a friendly space for queer productions either.

its apperently second most viewed in US streaming right now on amazon prime. i think it will do well and i have heard alot of people who are not animation nerds talking about it and mostly positivly. lots of stuff that is different is doing very well right now(look at barbie and such) so i think it gets at least another 2 seaons, maybe more. A24 also gives it some cusioning. The big thing i remember getting hosed by amazon was the new rings series, but that kinda sucked so i am not shocked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, my guess is we have at least 3 or more years of helluva boss at least. about the same for hazbin probably.

Helluva’s confirmed for 4 seasons, not sure about Hazbin provided Amazon doesn’t cancel it

Also it’s weird they didn’t stick the pilot for the latter up on Prime too seeing as it’s canonically the beginning of the show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The big thing i remember getting hosed by amazon was the new rings series, but that kinda sucked so i am not shocked.

Not quite sure what you mean by this, but Rings Of Power was renewed ages ago.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So what's the big golden thing next to the hellmoon?

Is it just a portal, or is it heaven itself?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So what's the big golden thing next to the hellmoon?

Is it just a portal, or is it heaven itself?

Probably supposed to be heaven, a sort of grim reminder to hell's denizens there's something else out there, and they ain't invited.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, I get the feeling the big pentagram over Pride is basically a force field that keeps the Sinners in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

Helluva’s confirmed for 4 seasons, not sure about Hazbin provided Amazon doesn’t cancel it

Also it’s weird they didn’t stick the pilot for the latter up on Prime too seeing as it’s canonically the beginning of the show

i sorta assumed they would remake the pilot. but guess not.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Season four is the last for Helluva Boss. It's been planned out some time ago, Hazbin Hotel is suppose to go on longer according to Viv.

Hazbin Hotel pilot is mostly considered cannon, some of it might not be. Seems to be a pick and choose thing depending on if they want to retell it for amazon.

Helluva Boss pilot is not considered cannon, which I guess is good for Loona.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 24, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i sorta assumed they would remake the pilot. but guess not.

Nope they reference it directly in the first episode and when Serpentius infiltrates the hotel later (which is odd then that they didn’t just put it up with the first 3 episodes)

The Last Call posted:

Season four is the last for Helluva Boss. It's been planned out some time ago, Hazbin Hotel is suppose to go on longer according to Viv.

Hazbin Hotel pilot is mostly considered cannon, some of it might not be. Seems to be a pick and choose thing depending on if they want to retell it for amazon.

Helluva Boss pilot is not considered cannon, which I guess is good for Loona.

I forget, what was different about Loona in the original pilot?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 24, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

She said she has syphilis.

She still could of course.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

I forget, what was different about Loona in the original pilot?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

She said she has syphilis.

She still could of course.

That's it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of HB there was also that thing about some human agents gaining proof about the gang’s existence that felt like it was leading to something (though I’m not sure what they could really do against a group of trained killers and a high ranking demon)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

Speaking of HB there was also that thing about some human agents gaining proof about the gang’s existence that felt like it was leading to something (though I’m not sure what they could really do against a group of trained killers and a high ranking demon)

I expect we'll see people on earth being told demons exist. This will cause our favorite little IMPS to get in massive trouble, along with Stolas. Possibly facing a sentence of death, until said proof is discredited.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

I expect we'll see people on earth being told demons exist. This will cause our favorite little IMPS to get in massive trouble, along with Stolas. Possibly facing a sentence of death, until said proof is discredited.

Sounds like a good series finale arc honestly

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

yeah there are alot of little threads like that, the cherubs are still out there, probably snorting tears from just adopted orphans for any kinda of kick.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

Sounds like a good series finale arc honestly

Maybe it'll be the basis for season four with things getting a lot worse before it gets better.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not sure if i come across as unformed here but if a show pulls in good numbers doesn't that make it profitable to keep around? Or are they still at risk due to the fickle nature of streaming services?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Not sure if i come across as unformed here but if a show pulls in good numbers doesn't that make it profitable to keep around? Or are they still at risk due to the fickle nature of streaming services?

depends on the streaming service. netflix is notorious for killing stuff after maybe 2 seasons for various reasons. amazon is somewhat better. I think hazbin probably survives because its mostly getting good press and lots of views. i see people talking about it in corners of the net i didnt really see vivzipop stuff in. i think it hits the right notes for alot of people and is actually pretty funny/interesting unlike ALOT of adult animated stuff on streaming services. i think it gets a full or mostly full run. As someone who wasnt that big a fan of the pilot and more an HB fan. I liked it alot more then i thought i would.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

depends on the streaming service. netflix is notorious for killing stuff after maybe 2 seasons for various reasons. amazon is somewhat better. I think hazbin probably survives because its mostly getting good press and lots of views. i see people talking about it in corners of the net i didnt really see vivzipop stuff in. i think it hits the right notes for alot of people and is actually pretty funny/interesting unlike ALOT of adult animated stuff on streaming services. i think it gets a full or mostly full run. As someone who wasnt that big a fan of the pilot and more an HB fan. I liked it alot more then i thought i would.

Honestly I'm seeing a vast improvement all around from the pilot especially so from the pacing and I'm sure most critics won't realize it but they have toned down the cursing a LOT. At this point it strikes me as really weird to see some fans bemoaning how the series proper isn't exactly like the pilot. Like...my brothers and sisters THAT IS THE loving POINT. That being said I thought episode 4 was one of the strongest things Vivziepop has put out there as a whole and I hope they can manage that tone going forward. The heart and soul of the show is watching a bunch of assholes show they have more depth to them and become a found family even in impossible circumstances. I think they're pulling that off quite well at least.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 25, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Honestly I'm seeing a vast improvement all around from the pilot especially so from the pacing and I'm sure most critics won't realize it but they have toned down the cursing a LOT. At this point it strikes me as really weird to see some fans bemoaning how the series proper isn't exactly like the pilot. Like...my brothers and sisters THAT IS THE loving POINT. That being said I thought episode 4 was one of the strongest things Vivziepop has put out there as a whole and I hope they can manage that tone going forward. The heart and soul of the show is watching a bunch of assholes show they have more depth to them and become a found family even in impossible circumstances. I think they're pulling that off quite well at least.

yeah, honestly thats why i like it alot. the first episode isnt amazing but it has ALOT to do so i can't blame it. i think they defently sanded off some of the cruder stuff but i am ok with that. part of the reason HB is so loving crude at times is because brandon rodgers writes and acts and co created it. dudes very very crude, its his whole thing. I think people see and hear blitz and thinks thats the entire show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Rodgers also writing for Hazbin as well?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

i dont think so.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

I think he's only doing Katie Killjoy's voice. He writes and voice acts for Helluva boss.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I think he's only doing Katie Killjoy's voice. He writes and voice acts for Helluva boss.

Yeah I know he voices Blitz and Katie but wasn’t sure if he was tackling other duties for Hazbin like he does for Boss

Speaking of, aside from voice actors are there any HB alumni on the Hazbin staff besides Viv for that matter?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I will say, any character who has a voice actor in both shows probably would be plausible to show up in Hazbin. I could see Blitzo having a bit part related to the whole Sinners hiring IMP thing kind of going counter to the Hotel's method/mission for example.

Also in terms of cancellation, Amazon might not do the right thing, but Hazbin Hotel has A24 backing it and they're more likely to keep shopping it around if Amazon drops it than drop it too. As they're sort of an indie support network by default and that's the point. Worst comes to worst they might just make it available through their app for purchase like the early release was.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 25, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

I will say, any character who has a voice actor in both shows probably would be plausible to show up in Hazbin. I could see Blitzo having a bit part related to the whole Sinners hiring IMP thing kind of going counter to the Hotel's method/mission for example.

Also in terms of cancellation, Amazon might not do the right thing, but Hazbin Hotel has A24 backing it and they're more likely to keep shopping it around if Amazon drops it than drop it too. As they're sort of an indie support network by default and that's the point. Worst comes to worst they might just make it available through their app for purchase like the early release was.

Given y'know *capitalism* it's just really hard to tell whether or not something will get cancelled. Even if it's doing gangbusters--which Hazbin is from what I can tell--nothing really feels safe these days.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm really interested in seeing what eventually happens in the show to make Alastor drop his smile. I imagine that's a several-seasons-in event, but it's such a huge thing about his character that he always smiles even when he's annoyed (particularly hilarious when he's dealing with the egg bois) that eventually there's going to have to be something that happens to cause that

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I'm really interested in seeing what eventually happens in the show to make Alastor drop his smile. I imagine that's a several-seasons-in event, but it's such a huge thing about his character that he always smiles even when he's annoyed (particularly hilarious when he's dealing with the egg bois) that eventually there's going to have to be something that happens to cause that

It's the guaranteed poo poo just got real moment.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In relationship to a prior discussion about the nature of "God" in the setting. The trailer had a momentary shot of a character named Sera, who is a feminine future angel character, but more notably. When shown the Elders/Angels of Heaven in episode 1 they're all Biblically Accurate wheels of fire and eyeballs etc. The "Good" they worship is obviously female coded (between the eyelashes and long flowing hair) and then the next time we see the Biblically Accurate leadership as they work on Earth they're joined by a much larger Angel, with 6 wings, whose Crown is exactly the same shape as Sera's from the trailer.

So if we get a "God" in show it'll probably be Sera, and she might be a Demiurge/Yaldabaoth style god rather than a true biblical one. An Usurper unaware she has usurped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Half expecting Dolores Dei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Macaluso posted:

The always smiling aspect is part of his character. He believes a person not showing a smile no matter what is a sign of weakness.

The only time I can imagine him not having one is if he's getting hurt.